Who looking back puts a smile on your face ?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Patrick Suffo - I always remember a match when he seems to send two players sliding past him just by a deft touch on his thigh. Brilliant player - and could mix it up with headbutt vs WBA

I can’t help feeling that this is one of the reasons people will/are struggling to let go of Wilder - the enjoyment that group of players clearly had for four years was off the chart and only matched by the fans’ enjoyment of watching them. I loved watching them as a collective - so I guess I answer with those that were present for all/most of it like Bash, JOC, Enda, Freeman, Baldock, Coutts, Fleck, Duffy and Sharp. The absolute delight on Billy’s face when he lifted that League 1 trophy and then celebrated promotion was beautiful to see.

Away from Wilder’s team, I’d have to say I always enjoyed watching Paul Peschisolido - loved playing for United, great finisher but matched it with hard work too. And that goal vs. Forest …
100%
Ok there are other reasons but I’ve lost all enthusiasm this last few months. It’s not relegation, been there done that but it’s losing that special connection and in the way we did.

You know reading this lot has brought back so many great memories, names and incident I would have thought I'd never have forgotten.
The faces not only of players but of old friends and of incidents some good some not so good on the pitch and off it. The laughs on the bus or the train going home or in the pub that night ,
The ups and the downs are all part of what makes football great no matter what's your age is, and may the comradery of it all last forever...

Come on you Red and White Wizards.... 👍 👍 👍 👍 👍

Last edited:
I'm not talking about the best player we've ever had, I mean the one who always played his hart out and put a smile on your face, In todays team I would say it was Bash...,But looking back, for me it has to be Trevor Hockey,
Maybe not be a classic footballer but he always seemed to be tireless and so enthusiastic, playing at left half in the early 70s,.
He had longhair hair and a bushy beard and that earned him the nick name ground hog, he was only just over 5ft 6" and 10st6 but he was completely fearless...
Before Hockey came to the lane I saw him at Rotherham and he played right wing For Birmingham. I Went to Oxford when he played his first for us and you could hear him throughout the game shouting orders out Proper leader. He didn’t like Man City’s Mick Doyle 🤔

Browny.

The season he had individually in 2002-03 is still probably the greatest I've ever seen by a United player.

He was absolutely unplayable.

PAUL PESCHISOLIDO. Not being a 6 footer myself seeing him weave in and out of defences was a pure joy. Plus he was Canadian and that fucking goal against Forest.

Duffs, ramming home the bounce killer.

That moment and him, will live in SUFC legend

pommpey

I doubt anyone would argue with that.

I would just add however that I always found Clarke's first goal exceptionally funny too, for a few reasons:

1) The pigs fans shouting 'hoof' as Steven's launched the ball forward, not even considering that it would lead to a goal scoring chance, were it not for...
2)..... the hilarious pig's attempt at defending
3) Clarke controlling the ball with his knob before shooting
4) The reaction of the grunters in the Kop when he strolled past
5) The touchline group hug.

Fucking brilliant.

I'm not talking about the best player we've ever had, I mean the one who always played his hart out and put a smile on your face, In todays team I would say it was Bash...,But looking back, for me it has to be Trevor Hockey,
Maybe not be a classic footballer but he always seemed to be tireless and so enthusiastic, playing at left half in the early 70s,.
He had longhair hair and a bushy beard and that earned him the nick name ground hog, he was only just over 5ft 6" and 10st6 but he was completely fearless...
Why Dane Whitehouse of course

Billy Hodgson & Derek (Doc) Pace. Saw Hodgson "vanish" into a ruck of players with the ball & come out the other side with it! Also when he ripped his shorts & walked off holding the torn bit out like a skirt.
Doc Pace scoring through Peter Swan's legs with his head. Kop end at BDTBL.
Exactly my two choices, great entertainers.

Through my time of going to the games:
Currie - I missed his best years for us :(
Sabella
Colin Morris and Keith Edwards
Deane and Agana
Brown
More recently the midfield of Coutts, Fleck and Duffy was a joy to watch the chemistry work perfectly......then add the overlapping of Basham and O'Connell was the icing on the cake. Also loved the way Freeman (the good one, Kieron) kept appearing in weird positions to score.

Alejandro , Kozzy and Monty but for one incident it’s Jeff Kings own goal at Reading

Last edited:
Ndlovu. Don't care if he ultimateley ran into the corner flag and got knowhere, he always tried smg creative and fun on the way and put a smile on my face.

First real memories at BDTBL were Vas Borbokis. I remember thinking how amazing he was and being absolutely gutted when he left and again when he got injured at Debry.

And after that, probably Nuddy. If only because every single week, without fail, I could rewatch him doing something ridiculous on Soccer AM's showboat that had made us chuckle the week before in the stands.
The couple of seasons when Vas and Saunders etc were here were a good time … then it turned back to shit like usual

Deane, Agana, Borbokis and McGrath, when I first started watching I liked the no nonsense approach of Stancliffe

Maybe time has distorted my memories but always loved Paul Wood the few times I saw him, thought he looked different class. Glynn Hodges, the beard, Deano, Whitehouse, Duffy, Blake there's loads

licensed-image

Back
Top Bottom