Who looking back puts a smile on your face ?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Loved Borbokis, Devlin under-rated I think, Browny for his swagger, Tongy at his dribbling peak playing wide, Monty for his effort, Duffy for his skills and Bash for his application and improvement.
Overall probably Bash, his dribble which took 3 Man City players out in one fell swoop one of my favourite memories.

I'm not talking about the best player we've ever had, I mean the one who always played his hart out and put a smile on your face, In todays team I would say it was Bash...,But looking back, for me it has to be Trevor Hockey,
Maybe not be a classic footballer but he always seemed to be tireless and so enthusiastic, playing at left half in the early 70s,.
He had longhair hair and a bushy beard and that earned him the nick name ground hog, he was only just over 5ft 6" and 10st6 but he was completely fearless...

Completely agree. One of our most memorable. Died so tragically young.

Glen Little, 75 years old, hungover, bad back, bandage on head, teeth missing, arm in sling, both knees held together with sticky tape, still getting past his man an banging crosses in

Michael Tongue's Mr Burns running technique

Nosworthys hulahoop throw in's

Luton Shelton away at Man Utd

Dean Saunders throw in

The Duffy & Michael Brown goals

Bashams face

Brayford's loan spell.

The Duffy, Coutts & Fleck 1.5 seasons.

Norwood's first season.

James Beattie (1st time), particularly his penalties.

Peschi's "Oh my god" goal

Tonge and Brown in the triple assault season

Roger Nilsen 😍

The moment we killed the bounce!! That has to be top of the tree

I'm not talking about the best player we've ever had, I mean the one who always played his hart out and put a smile on your face, In todays team I would say it was Bash...,But looking back, for me it has to be Trevor Hockey,
Maybe not be a classic footballer but he always seemed to be tireless and so enthusiastic, playing at left half in the early 70s,.
He had longhair hair and a bushy beard and that earned him the nick name ground hog, he was only just over 5ft 6" and 10st6 but he was completely fearless...
Billy Hodgson & Derek (Doc) Pace. Saw Hodgson "vanish" into a ruck of players with the ball & come out the other side with it! Also when he ripped his shorts & walked off holding the torn bit out like a skirt.
Doc Pace scoring through Peter Swan's legs with his head. Kop end at BDTBL.

Must agree with you, Trevor Hockey was the best. He did some daft things that made you laugh, but one of the best was at BDTBL the weather was chucking it down, and someone was down injured so TH went over to the John Street stand (family stand) and took an umbrella off a woman and stood on the pitch holding this umbrella ☂ over his head. Very funny 😂😂😂😂 r.i.p mate

Would have to be Peter Ndlovu for me, I do sometimes wonder if he actually knew what he was doing... as it often didn't! 😂😂

Must agree with you, Trevor Hockey was the best. He did some daft things that made you laugh, but one of the best was at BDTBL the weather was chucking it down, and someone was down injured so TH went over to the John Street stand (family stand) and took an umbrella off a woman and stood on the pitch holding this umbrella ☂ over his head. Very funny 😂😂😂😂 r.i.p mate
Never forget when he broke his leg (v Citeh AGAIN)and he got up and tried to play on!!
RIP bearded wonder👍

Jan Aage Fjortoft. Not only did he score some fantastic goals but he absolutely reveled in it. One of my favourite memories was when he scored a hat-trick and did a silly dance while pointing under his arm that the match ball was his.

Would have to be Peter Ndlovu for me, I do sometimes wonder if he actually knew what he was doing... as it often didn't! 😂😂
Anyone remember when he made a ridiculous cross when the ball went over his head and he stuck his foot out behind him and backheeled it in to the box? Ball had gone out for a throw so it didn't come to anything but I spent the next month trying to do it every time we had a kick about.

Goes down with when Lyle Taylor (I think) was about ten yards offside so he lashed in a ridiculous volley from forty yards out. If it had counted it would've been the best goal the Lane had ever seen. Probably would've been a booking too if it hadn't been that impressive.

IMG_0441.JPG

More werewolf than ground hog😀

I can’t help feeling that this is one of the reasons people will/are struggling to let go of Wilder - the enjoyment that group of players clearly had for four years was off the chart and only matched by the fans’ enjoyment of watching them. I loved watching them as a collective - so I guess I answer with those that were present for all/most of it like Bash, JOC, Enda, Freeman, Baldock, Coutts, Fleck, Duffy and Sharp. The absolute delight on Billy’s face when he lifted that League 1 trophy and then celebrated promotion was beautiful to see.

Away from Wilder’s team, I’d have to say I always enjoyed watching Paul Peschisolido - loved playing for United, great finisher but matched it with hard work too. And that goal vs. Forest …

Not a player but Danny Berghara. Only really because his daughter was in my class at school when they were in Sheffield. She was lovely but I was too shy to talk to her.

Keeeeeef
👍
Edit
Daianos Trellas is one I would pick

Seems the supply of misspelled Blades players names is endless!

In answer to the question, and the real spirit in which it was asked... Fjortoft. His bravado and confidence made me smile as a young teenager following the Blades. Then later I'd say Peschisolido. He played the game with a cheeky smile on his face himself which was infectious.

Since then I can't think of many that meet the original criteria. Paddy Kenny? He just had a face that made you laugh. That Hull game in particular was comedy gold.

John Tudor,s goal against wendy.0ct 70 two-nil up they scored twice in the second half. then Tudor came on sub I have forgotten who he replaced.
the moments later the ball came off his knee and straight thru Grummits legs and into the net. the net at Bramall lane end.it was brilliant even my dad was jumping up and down. I ended about ten steps from where I stood to this day I don,t know-how. I could not stop smiling. Monday morning at Myers Grove School in Stannington. the wendy fans were very quiet. as a radio Sheffield commentator Mike Walker I think. a moment to treasure.

Someone is a Spackman era fan
I’ll still argue that they were the best collection of players (relative to the league they were in) that we’ve seen since the Harris era. (I’d accept there’s an argument for the div 4 Porterfield side as most of those should’ve been playing in the league above, at least, probably two in the case of Morris and Edwards).

I’ll still argue that they were the best collection of players (relative to the league they were in) that we’ve seen since the Harris era. (I’d accept there’s an argument for the div 4 Porterfield side as most of those should’ve been playing in the league above, at least, probably two in the case of Morris and Edwards).

1000% this. I'll go one further and say the quality of football has been unmatched since. Tuftyball came close, but in direct contrast Spackman's team was so fluid and spontaneous which I think gives more of an edge entertainment wise.

Alejandro Sabella beating a player and if he'd fouled him going back and beating him again. Given he had Horror Haslam and Bergara as his management team, he competes with TC as the most enjoyable to watch.

John Tudor,s goal against wendy.0ct 70 two-nil up they scored twice in the second half. then Tudor came on sub I have forgotten who he replaced.
the moments later the ball came off his knee and straight thru Grummits legs and into the net. the net at Bramall lane end.it was brilliant even my dad was jumping up and down. I ended about ten steps from where I stood to this day I don,t know-how. I could not stop smiling. Monday morning at Myers Grove School in Stannington. the wendy fans were very quiet. as a radio Sheffield commentator Mike Walker I think. a moment to treasure.

Feeling blue....
Then onto the pitch came John Tudor hoorah hoorah,
Onto the pitch came John Tudor hoorah, hoorah....
He scored a goal and that was it,
The Shoreham Street it had a fit,
And we all went mad, when Tudor scored the goal.

Back
Top Bottom