Who looking back puts a smile on your face ?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Bennyand the Blades

Reaction score
I'm not talking about the best player we've ever had, I mean the one who always played his hart out and put a smile on your face, In todays team I would say it was Bash...,But looking back, for me it has to be Trevor Hockey,
Maybe not be a classic footballer but he always seemed to be tireless and so enthusiastic, playing at left half in the early 70s,.
He had longhair hair and a bushy beard and that earned him the nick name ground hog, he was only just over 5ft 6" and 10st6 but he was completely fearless...

Bash, JOC, didzy, Duffy and billy for me from the wilder years. Before that morgs, jags, monty and geary

Bob Hatton against Walsall in the second half.

As I remember, before the match he promised he'd "run and run until the very end", and indeed he did so, and on each occasion diagonally towards the John Street/Kop corner flag.

The amusing thing was that on each occasion he did the run, you could see him look over his shoulder for the ball, and as he did so, together, we all watched the ball being played/passed/floated over his head and up and away into the back of one of the stands.

First real memories at BDTBL were Vas Borbokis. I remember thinking how amazing he was and being absolutely gutted when he left and again when he got injured at Debry.

And after that, probably Nuddy. If only because every single week, without fail, I could rewatch him doing something ridiculous on Soccer AM's showboat that had made us chuckle the week before in the stands.

When Gary Sinclair blasted out the Professionals theme. Petr Katchouro once bagged a hatrick against Bury after coming back from the grave. A professional performance that truly deserved that theme.

Sir Bob Booker, Chris Morgan, Alan Kelly, Pesch, Jamie Ward giving it the big un in front of the pigs, Alan Woodward kicking the ball so hard the ball was crying, Billy Whitehurst putting the fear of God in everyone including God, Warnock winding everyone up especially that ginger pig, Nuddy and his gloves, Keith Edwards scoring after seemingly doing fuck all for 80 minutes, and more.

Above all else, every time I walk into the ground and see that green rectangle of grass. It was even better when I’d not been for a while due to work. It still gets me now. Every. Single. Time.

Hodgkinson, Badger, Colcqhoon, Hemsley , Curry, Woodward, Reece, Kozluk, Hodges, Jags, Brown, Pesch, Cork, Booker, Morgan, Deane, Agana, Mick Jones, Birchenall

Maybe living in the past a bit these days ……. :)
Hodgkinson, Badger, Colquhoun, Hemsley , Currie, Woodward, Reece, Kozluk, Hodges, McGrath, Jags, Brown, Pesch, Cork, Booker, Morgan, Deane, Agana, Mick Jones, Birchenall, McCall, Saunders, Flo ……
Memory wandering and fading now ….. :)

Back
Top Bottom