Sheffield United Season Review / School Report 22-23 - Part 4: Defence

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Deadbat

Reaction score
2022/23 SUFC SEASON REVIEW / SCHOOL REPORT

Defenders

Chris Basham
Pleased he got a new deal and felt for his service and the fact he can play a range of positions and a fantastic pro too. He was out of the team under Slav but got his place back under Hecky and we saw some great throwback Bash type showings. He was great in some of the run-in games and I saw no reason why he would not start this season despite his advancing years – only a few nagging injuries would stop that. The Ahmedhodzic signing was a bit left field but clearly United had wanted him for a while and Bash was not going to be around forever.

Pre-season showed that the Bosnian player was clearly a real talent and he was picked ahead of Bash. The season started and I think Basham had an injury too but Ahmedhodzic played after his suspension elapsed and thrilled the Blades crowd. It was clear he was going to the starter at right centre back. Basham would still be used and needed of course and so it proved. Anel had a few injuries, illnesses and tendency to get booked meant Bash would still play plenty of games. He started at Luton and Swansea in a draw and a win but then had a run of 6 games where we lost three and drew three with Anel out and he struggled a bit and maybe age looked like it was catching up with him. He played better at West Brom, Bristol City and Cardiff in three away wins. He was back on the bench when the league games returned but did play and was fine at Millwall in the cup. He had a bit of a nightmare at Wrexham (as the whole defence did) but was better in the replay. He was given another league start at Millwall but again the entire side had a bad day before he had a great chance to score at Blackburn (and breaking a 4-year scoring drought) but made a mess of it after a great run in another game where the defence was exposed badly a times. He played much better in the much-needed win at Reading.

Thought he was excellent in the Spurs game and this was maybe his best game of the season but then Anel was back in for much of the run in and was only used off the bench. Great to see him get time on the field at Wembley and in the West Brom game where he could be part of the celebrations and then started against Preston and got an assist. Did struggle badly at Huddersfield with pace and had you wondering how much we could actually use him against the pace/power of the top league? Did finish the season well though with a more typical Bash type performance and an assist at Birmingham.

A great veteran to have around though even if he will not play too much probably. Not sure we will see that much of him next season but great that at 35 (this summer) he is still contributing. For the first time in his career, he has started to pick up a few injuries and I would be concerned if he used much moving forward as does not maybe have the energy and running power he did. He will be 36 next summer and expect he will move on and maybe have a few more years somewhere else (maybe closer to his beloved North East where he has admitted he will settle after his career end) but what a career he has had here. He represents everything that is good about United and the last period of our journey. He will have been here 10 years and played close to 400 games you would think – making him one of our longest serving players. He deserves all the credit he gets for his work ethic, professionalism and always seems to play with a smile on his face. Be a sad day when he departs the club but will deserve a testimonial of some sort (surely, we can still put such a game on for someone like him and get all the former Blades back that were part of the journey up the leagues?).

Grade B- (Last season B-)

John Egan
Seems to have been at the Lane a lot longer than the 5 seasons he has and a player we definitely take for granted I fell. Yes, he does make mistakes and can be susceptible to pace/the ball over the top, he should score more goals and gets daft red cards at times – but for the most part he is as solid and reliable as you will get at the top end of the Champ and maybe even lower Prem. Decent in the air, better with his feet than many give him credit for, decent reader of the game and for the most part pretty reliable – outside of odd disciplinary discretion as discussed. He is almost always available too in terms of playing and with us having so many injuries, this is a big positive and something again overlooked at times. He is just a steady, consistent pro that most weeks is a 7/10. He is not that flashy, nor is he going to run out of defence or play passes that split other teams open but he is competent on the ball and can play well with different players. We forget that the centre backs have changed quite a bit around him since those first two seasons he was here with Robinson, Clark, Ampadu, Jagielka, Bryan, Basham, Gordon, Ahmedhodzic, Stevens, Norrington Davies to name the ones off the top of my head who have featured in these positions alongside him.

I can scan over his stats this last season and look at the marks I gave him and there is a consistency with him that I cannot see for any other player (except maybe Ndiaye and Baldock). Others like Wes, Doyle, Anel and McBurnie have had spells of not being quite as consistent. I do not think I gave him under 6 for the first 2 months of the season and not sure I recall any glaring errors in games. United had some ups and downs but he was consistent. Yes, he has had a few ropey games like the Norwich home one (stupid penalty – but then was superb at Norwich) and then Luton he was not great at the Lane and the daft red card v Coventry but he has had some excellent games too marshalling the back line. Finished the season well with some strong games like Bristol City and West Brom at home where he was dominated and led from the back. Thought he was quite inspirational towards the end of the season. Another really likeable lad that when he has gone you will only then realise how important he is both on and off the field.

We have had one of the best defences all season inclusive of the greatest number of clean sheets and he is right at the centre of this.

Goals wise we would want more and the number of times he gets there and then heads over is frustrating beyond belief but got two late goals at QPR (vital point) and Wrexham – both with his feet! He also scored a header at Wigan. He should score more but does provide a threat and has set up some goals with headers too (Norwich home – Luton away – assisted McBurnie on both). Right in his peak at 30 years of age – I am not surprised some Premier League teams have been linked before but also not surprised they have not made the outlay as on the surface he maybe lacks the athleticism and pace over the ground but we have seen when we were up there before – he was fine.

Also forgotten sometimes is he is one of the internationals that goes and plays for his team and country seemingly every game and rarely is rested. He has captained them a few times too when Coleman has not played and scored a few goals (which was frustrating as he did not do that for us as much!).

Grade B+ (Last season B-)

Kieran Clark Seemed a sensible signing in the summer. We needed competition in the defence and he could play left centre back, in the middle and at a push left wing back/full back. He was experienced and despite some Newcastle fans saying he was not good enough (at least for the Premier League) he had been solid at this level before and just seemed a safe signing. The only issue is he was 32 when he signed and not played as much football in recent years. Despite Robinson’s improvements I felt he would get the start and so it proved but he was awful at Watford on opening day and got pulled apart by quicker players. He did improve hugely in the subsequent game against Millwall but then picked up a few nagging injuries.

We did not see him again until Bristol City away before he was on the bench for a couple before starting at Cardiff in the game before the World Cup and did ok – giving us some experience. He then had a run of games after the break and was solid enough, scoring in the game against Coventry on Boxing Day. He read the game well, did the basics and gave us some height too. However, he got another injury and ended up being a bit part player being mainly on the bench.

He then was not involved at all for ages and despite us having some defensive issues, he was nowhere to be seen. Hecky would say he was fit and then say he had some issues and you wondered if there were financial reasons why he was not being used as cynical as that is? Robinson was fine but we could have used him at times I felt as after a dodgy start to his United career he had been a useful lad to have around – when he was around. He did get back around though when the final games were played out and scored with a tap in against Cardiff. Very injury prone and in that sense a bit of a waste of a loan. When Khadra did not work out and then he is barely available – 50% of your loans have not been able to be called upon which is not ideal. As the season came to an end, we barely saw him and now at 33 you would think he will not be signed as he has not done enough or stayed fit to consider using wages on him - he is out of contract at Newcastle and expect he will turn up somewhere else in the Championship next season.

Grade C (Last season NA)

Anel Ahmedhodzic His signing really came out of the blue last summer as it did not seem an area, we were looking to strengthen with Bash resigning here. However, we had tried to sign him last January and clearly Jack Lester had tracked him from his days at Forest when he was a youngster with him there. He had been at Malmo after that but then went on loan to Bordeaux and marked Messi last season. Both these clubs had some financial issues so could not keep/re-sign and United swopped in – amid interest from Jon Dahl Tomasson at Blackburn too.

First glance in pre-season we quickly saw we had signed a lad that was tall, agile and a real athlete but more than that so comfortable on the ball. He also did not mind a tackle clearly! Excited a lot of fands and media from the off. The snag of course was when it emerged, he could not play the first games due to a suspension carried off from the French league which United did not know about and tried to blame Malmo for not disclosing!

When he eventually played, he was superb in the first home game against Blackburn and this carried on with some hugely impressive showings – including his ability to get goals as he registered his first v Sunderland and then two more against Reading. He could get forward and like Bash in his prime, was like another attacker as he surged forward, capable of driving at defenders and/or beating men. He as solid defensively though and would not get pulled about. Tall but not huge in terms of physique but really strong as we saw in 50-50 challenges. He was one of the players who set the tone in an excellent start to the season. He regularly was getting or being nominated, for man of the match awards. The Sky pundits quickly earmarked him as one of the signings of the summer at this level and most were raving about him. It seemed a steal we had got him for 4 million and almost overnight after seeing a handful of games, you think we could have trebled our money at least!

We saw some flaws as he picked up some knocks (including an odd one where he was alleged to have got injured whilst away with his country Bosnia but Hecky and his national team manager had different accounts of what he had done and where he was!). He also did pick up bookings – lots of them and by the end of the season was a long way ahead of anyone else and had two suspensions. Some were deserved but some were just plain daft and sometimes his desire to get the ball or gamble saw him catch men and he conceded a few penalties in the same vein. He did have a spell out of the team around October and November and it was said he had contracted glandular fever which can take its toll out of players. After he was superb at home to Burnley, he then struggled at home to Rotherham and maybe it was taking its toll on him? He had a few patchier performances but was still good most games and we seemed to rarely lose when he did play.

After the World Cup, I felt his form did drop off and he had a number of games where he was ‘just’ average. Recall him getting ragged about a bit at Wrexham as we imploded second half and he tog caught out against Middlesbrough too. However, slowly he started to get back to the form he had showed and we saw more of the composed, ball playing centre back that made great blocks and tackles but used the ball so well too when coming out with it. He had a run of decent games and was fine in the cup semi-final and then another big goal and lovely volley in that West Brom game. Scored again v Preston to take his tally to 7 goals (6 in the league) all at the Lane and showed what a knack he has of reading the game, anticipating and his composure as a footballer.

Only 24, he seems a great lad (from the social media stuff United have done) with a great sense of humour and has fitted in brilliantly. You hope we can keep him moving forward but would not be surprised if other clubs are looking as, you do not get many defenders that defend, tackle, head it, cover across the back line, can play a few positions but is comfortable on the ball and can get forward and score/set up goals too! Got voted into the team of the year which was not a surprise as he looks the part in terms of his ability and the attributes I mentioned. Loses marks for the number of daft bookings he picked up and did have a chunk of time out of the team/dropped off for a period but overall, a superb debut season.

Grade B+ (Last season NA)

George Baldock,
I wrote this time last season that despite him being superb against Forest at home and finishing the season, due to Bogle’s injury, that I expected Bogle to be the starter when he was fully fit as he had a really good season and offered us so much more going forward. We fast forward 12 months later and the opposite has happened. Granted Bogle was not fit to start the season and has had injuries, but so has Baldock. Now I think most Blades think we are a better side with Baldock at the right wing back position than Bogle. Baldock’s stats in terms of points/win possession are far better than Bogle. That is not to say both cannot have a role and hope Bogle can regain the form he had shown but I do have to give a great deal of credit to Baldock.

We had Freeman before and now Bogle and Baldock keeps proving how much he values the shirt. Whenever we have a rocky spell, he invariably gets put back in, if he was not already playing and we improve. His aggression, will to win and commitment are qualities as Blade we all love to see. Not quite sure how he has never had a red card though and gets booked a lot less than others (and maybe he should do!). Defensively he gets in good positions, rarely gets beat and stops crosses and is mostly tight to his man. He does the basics and just keeps his concentration. Boundless energy too he will get out and get forward and his fitness is excellent (granted missed some games due to various injuries this season) and is always an outlet/option when we are attacking – home and away.

Yes, his crossing and attacking output is still not what it should be considering how much of the ball he gets and the fantastic positions he gets in, but he has assisted and scored this season. His individual goal at Cardiff won the game. I scan over my ratings (not saying they are all right!) and he is another that gets 6-7/10 nearly every single week with few outliers higher or lower. You just know what you are going to go. Like a few others, Egan, Norwood, Sharp – just good pros that you need to have in a promotion chasing side.

After we had that drop off, Baldock was put back in (had some injuries) and we became instantly more solid and competitive in things we did and he set such a good example with his no nonsense play and desire to win the battle. He was superb in some of the home games to close the season and that second half v West Brom was completely inspirational winning tackles, bursting forward and showing such desire – that makes him such a favourite. He soaked up the scenes at the end and one who is rapidly becoming part of the folklore of this remarkable spell for the club and another that will never be forgotten for what he has accomplished.

I look at some of the other players that amble around at clubs – some may have more talent than Baldock – but I actually would not swap him for many in his position at this level. He might not have the flair and offensive output of others but we do not concede many goals rarely get carved open (yes had spells this season where teams went through us but it probably not a co-incident that he was not always starting these games we conceded 3’s?) Showed he can do a job on the left side too and just someone who rarely lets the side down. You need players like him to be successful at this level.

Also, now a regular with Greece and hoping this has enhanced his game and confidence that he is very much a very good Championship (and even Premier League wing back – he did ok their last time). Has another year on his contract but decent athlete who runs all day and I would be looking to tie him down to a new deal as at 30, he is right in his prime. I hope Bogle can improve the weak areas of his game and stay fitter and be more consistent as undoubtedly there is a player there that can do things that Baldock cannot do but at the moment I have no issue with Baldock starting the next campaign here and see other positions as being much more of a priority short term.

Grade B+ (Last season C)

Enda Stevens
Stevens has only made 10 appearances this season as his injury issues continued. To be honest he has never been the same player since Covid and both his form and his ability to stay fit has stopped him being much of a contributor. Stevens was a huge part of our rise up the leagues and superb in the promotion season and up to March in the Premier League. We saw others have drop offs (Fleck, Norwood – he got back to a good level) but Stevens has simply never recovered. It is odd as whilst we were off for a few months, the way he simply just went from being one of the most accomplished left backs/left wing backs in the Premier League to someone who could barely kick a ball straight was just bizarre. He played some of the following season but again his form was poor and this continued in the Championship and we ended up seeing as much of Norrington Davies and Lowe in 21-22. Sometimes (Fulham home) we would see flashes of the old Enda but all too often (Forest play offs home) he would look a shadow of the player he once was.

His inability to remain fit has clearly been a huge factor and he seems to never be able to have a run where he is available. This time around he started the season but struggled at Vicarage Road with the pace of the Watford front line as he played centre back but then was taken off. He then had a long-term injury and we did not see him till West Brom away where he came on at the end. He was used as a sub for a few games after this as we closed games out but did play in the win v Burnley but Benson tore him apart in the first half – granted he improved after the break- I thought this might be the last we saw of him. He did though have a run of games either side of the World Cup break with Norrington Davies and Lowe having injuries but we never looked totally secure when he was in the side and missed the above duo when they combined as LCB/LWB in a tandem. He got a few decent balls in but mostly looked slow and ponderous defensively. After the game at QPR on the 2nd January, he was out again with another injury. This seemed to be innocuous but kept him out for months. We were told he was back on the grass, then he disappeared again before being told around the week of the semi-final, he was back training. However, he did get on at Huddersfield but then was taken off – not a good look the sub being subbed – even if he was not quite fully fit. Played the final game too and was ok in this one which was nice to see if he does get released

If he departs, then he will have gone out on a promotion, albeit not involved that much. Overall, though despite the drop off, you have to remember what a fantastic servant he was for the Blades. Like Fleck, O’Connell, Sharp, Basham and others – he was such a part of that remarkable journey. He has played 200 times (195 starts) for the Blades, scoring 9 times (most of them at the end of that Champ promotion season seemingly) over 6 seasons and will be the highlight of his career for him. He might be the best left back/left wing back in my United supporting existence and for 3 seasons he was superb. Another player that will be fondly remembered and those scenes of him and his countryman Egan in the car park and around the Irish pubs after we went up will go down in folklore. He seems a really likeable bloke and one that has given his all for United. I think his drop off is such that he may have to go right down to League 1/2 to finish out his dates before he probably returns to Ireland – he is 33 this summer so if he can get fit could have another 2 or 3 seasons in the game at a decent level.

Grade D (Last season D+)

Rhys Norrington Davies
Two years ago it seemed like he was set to take over from Stevens as the starter. He had a mixed season (his first full one with SUFC after successful loans at Rochdale, Luton and Stoke) and maybe did not quite have the impact we thought. He looked quite erratic in some games conceding poor fouls and penalties. He did have some decent games amongst this and was always ultra-competitive. He did end the season better and was excellent in the 2nd leg against Forest (some might suggest if he had started the first game, we may have won the tie as Stevens got skinned every time). He did play 18 times but had a few injuries and in the end him and Stevens’s kind of rotated but not sure it was particularly down to anything other than Hecky trying the other due to the one who had played not being convincing. I wrote last season that I would not be averse to signing a new left wing back as Stevens looked on the way out, ditto for Lowe and then RND too did not seize his chance.

This season he began at Watford getting the start, even with Lowe back but he played as a left sided centre back. He played well against Millwall but then struggled at Middlesbrough but gradually we settled down after him and Lowe had justified criticism after this game. Lowe at left wing back and RND as left centre back both played well. They covered for each other and also got forward well too. We looked impressive at home and quietly he became one of our consistent performers. Tough in the tackle but quick too and he seemed to read the game better. I actually thought he looked better at left centre back than he had at left wing back. He got a serious injury at Coventry which not only kept him out for longer than first feared but he also missed out on the World Cup after he was set to go to Qatar. We ended up going back to Clark and Robinson but at times as Lowe’s form dropped off, you wondered if RND’s legs and ability to cover the gaps was a factor in this drop off. We certainly were not as strong down the left side. He was having a really good season when he got his injury and was a blow for him and us. We expected him back around February and then March and then you thought this is more serious than we thought and as Easter rolls around you wonder if he will ever come back this season? So, it proved as it ended up with the games running out and him (and Brewster) our two hamstrung lads we never did see again.

Next season, if he gets back to full fitness and can show the form he was showing, he could be a real asset to us and maybe can make the step up – there were a few Premier League teams that were being linked with him after his form earlier in the season, so clearly had improved his reputation. With Stevens going and Lowe not at the level we need, he would take the shirt probably with finances short – but needs to prove his fitness.

Grade B- (Last season C-)

Jayden Bogle Thought he had an excellent end to the Championship season after showing some promise (albeit inconsistent) in his first season in the Premier League. He looked a real attacking threat full of skills, goals and assists. I was really excited going into the new season with him and Baldock as the options – I actually thought Bogle would be the starter – so good was his form and play in the run in and the improvements he had made. My major concern was his fitness as he only started 16 games in the top flight and then 18 at the Championship which was not even close to 50% of the games we played. This had to improve as he had a tendency to pick up injuries and be in and out affecting the consistency of his play and our ability to have a settled defence/side. He was out for the run in of course and missed the play offs but we thought he may be back but that never happened and it seemed his knee injury would keep him out longer than we thought.

Baldock started the season and was fine as he played every game in the league until the Stoke game away in October. Bogle did come back in himself against QPR but then seemed to re-injure himself and it was said he had to have another operation. Worryingly this minor procedure was not done correctly and incredibly some metal was found in his leg when they scanned him stopping him returning for another significant period. He was back on the bench around Xmas and then he did get back in the side at Blackpool before scoring at Millwall and then had a superb game against Stoke scoring one and setting up another. This was more like the Bogle we saw last season but then thought he did not maintain this being poor at Rotherham and Wrexham in the successive games. He played really well against Swansea but struggled at home to Boro and defensively he made mistakes again at Millwall and Blackburn before being better at home to Watford. He picked up lots of cheap yellow cards, which was odd as he often gave his man way too much room and we saw his defensive weaknesses exposed. I also thought the attacking threat he had showed a lot completely dried up and, in the end, Baldock was brought back after his injuries and we improved. He came back when Lowe was out but it is saying something that Baldock was the one who had to play out of position. He made a mistake in the game at Burnley failing to clear and thought he sort of ambled through a few games and looked a long way from the attacking and thrusting player we had seen. I rarely saw him beat a man or do much offensively in the remaining games. Bogle then was put back on the bench as Baldock was used as the starter but he did get back for some of the final games but not convincing. He then broke his thumb and did not play in the final games.

This last season has been a bit of a waste really and his reputation has took a bit of a hit. He has had the odd decent game but been out for long periods and not replicated the form he showed last season when he looked tremendous at times. He has had injuries and one long term but that is also a concern as he seems another that rarely stays fit for any length of time. Faces a big summer to get himself properly fit but at only 22 he has time to realise some undoubted potential.

As it stands though, I have flip flopped on where I stand on his position – now I would start Baldock the majority of the time – he is more solid defensively and his aggression/determination sets the tempo for the side. Bogle in contract is not putting in the same level of consistency and his defensive weakness is magnified even more when he offers little going forward.

Grade C (Last season B)

Jack Robinson Once a much-maligned player that got lots of stick from the crowd – he played way more than he should have done in the Premier League – not sure he will ever be good enough to be close to a regular in the top flight (even with his improvements). However, he has improved remarkably since Hecky came in and last season was our most improved player and was a bit of a cult figure/inspiration leading the fight as we surged up the league. He still made some silly mistakes and this has continued this season but he has also played fairly well consistently and even with us using Norrington Davies and Clark here, he has been the main starter in the left centre back position.

He did not start the season and had an injury that seemed to go on and on (like a number of other players) and you wondered when he would actually come back. It was not until the West Brom away game that he started and he helped settled down a defence that had been wobbling after a poor spell (after a number of water tight games to start the season). He played in the next 5 games as we won 4 out of 5 – with his only error being the one that led to Rotherham scoring – whenever he does make a mistake it always seems to go in whilst others tend to get away with it more?!

I think he got another injury but was back again for Blackpool away as we went on another good run. Clark was proving even more incapable of staying fit and with Norrington Davies, Osborn and Lowe all on the shelf at some point, he was the most readily available after ironically, he was the one not fit for the early months. He was pretty much a regular after this and for the most part solid as we kept a number of clean sheets. He scored a great strike on the rebound against Swansea and nearly got another in the same game hitting the post!

The Burnley games do kind of sum up his erratic United career. An own goal, stupid mistake to cost us a goal and all over the shop, then he came out second half determined, played much better and scored the third goal and made amends. The in the second game, he gets in a mess with Wes, leads to the keeper getting sent off and he then rows with Hecky for being sacrificed!

I recall him being superb in the game against Spurs in the cup with some crunching tackles that the BBC commentators enthused about. We saw this in other games and at times maybe he was close the line but he made so many where he got the ball and showed his man he was about too – so clearly works on this aspect of his game as he used to be a bit more reckless in this regard. He had a number of games where we would all quietly say you know Robinson was really solid/maybe the man of the match, even in some of the losses.

He finished the season with some more great performances and showed his commitment and thought at times he was one of the best players. In the home games, he was often the one coming out of defence, winning tackles with some gusto and leading the charge. Really consistent in what he did and I never thought I would say this but one of those you could count on to be a 7/10 most weeks.

Robinson seems a lot older than he is/looks – he is still only 29! He has been around a fair bit at this level but seems to have found a home. I would have concerns about him being a regular at the top level versus the athletes/pace and feel he would get lots of yellow cards and reds too with VAR but I would have no issues keeping him and using him at times. We need an upgrade here I believe when you look at what we have done with Anel on the other side but for the first time in 3 years, we finally have someone who has held down that position after the massive loss of O’Connell. Credit to him, it is hard to turn any football supporters around (all clubs) and for the most part he has done that and seems well liked by fans and teammates alike.

Grade B (Last season B-)

Max Lowe He seemed all set to depart United last summer after he had a relatively successful loan at Forest but them going up probably meant they would look for better quality despite him doing well at the City Ground. When he was signed, he was never seen as the ‘big’ piece in the double transfer full back signing from Derby back in 2019 but as United struggled and Stevens never really recovered his form, he did play some games but I always thought he looked badly out of his depth. He played 8 times (11 including the cups) but as Norrington Davies came back and Stevens was still under contract, it was not a surprise he was allowed to move on and went to Forest on a season long loan. He did well and started regularly until he picked up a few injuries and was not involved as much in the run in as they got promoted via the play offs.

I thought if he did not go to Forest be may go elsewhere and it seemed he wanted that move as his comments since have proved as he came back and was a bit sulky and his sub appearance at Watford, he was horrific. I felt he would not play much and that he would be third choice if he remained but as Norrington Davies was employed as left centre back a fair bit and Stevens continued to struggle with form and fitness. He had another poor showing in the first half at the Riverside but improved after the interval and then he ended up starting 7 games in a row and surprised with some good performances. He scored against Sunderland and for a run of games around August and September he was excellent and many saying how improved he looked. He dovetailed nicely around RND and they had a good combination down that side both attacking wise and defensively. He cut out the silly errors and showed he could be a threat with his first time crossing and energetic play. He then pulled a muscle I think at Hull and was out for a fairly lengthy period and United did not look as secure for this spell and had the run of poor results.

He did not return till after the World Cup and even then, was mostly a sub for a period even with Norrington Davies now also out injured but started against Coventry and at Blackpool. From mid-January with Stevens out also, he ended up being the starter again – maybe more by default than form this time around. I never thought he was the same player and looked more like the Lowe we saw in the Premier League and someone who was not tight enough to his man, got beat too easily and did not stop crosses. Other than maybe Stoke and Swansea at home, I think he had more poor games than good ones. He also did not look the same attacking wise. I recall him being a weak link for a significant period, to the extent we looked better in the game when Osborn and then when Lowe was ill, Baldock was shifted over that side. Too many mistakes, hesitant moments and he looks lacking in confidence after such a good start has settled the player that is probably not quite good enough. He still had some good moments and was better in second halves of games than the first half.

Over the course of his United career, I am not convinced he is the answer in this position. He is not as quick as you think and not switched on defensively. I feel he is ok as a backup next year but would worry if he is playing more than the odd game. His contract is up in a season and he is only 26 but he is another that is injury prone and has not played more than 30 games in his career and tends to be around 15-20 starts for his career which is not enough – either due to form or fitness. I thought we saw some real promise at the start of the season but we forget this was a small sample size (less than 10 games) in his United career, where for the most part he has not been at the level we need.

Grade C+ (Last season NA)

Kyron Gordon A player who featured in a number of games towards the end of the 21-22 season. He did ok and played well v Barnsley but struggled (as they all did) at Coventry. He has always had a good reputation and recall a few clubs such as Everton being linked with him. However, I never sensed he has the football ability, technically I mean as others that have come through like Lowton, Naughton, Walker and Maguire. Is quick and reads the gamer well but not massive and thus physically he may struggle in his central position. He will be disappointed how this season has gone – his only game we got well beat at Stoke and although he has been on the bench, he has not really been close to being involved. He has been a regular at U21 level. He is only just turning 21 but you think it is a bit make or break and I sense he may need to go and play games in League 2 either on loan or permanent before he can think about playing at this level and he has not been close to the team at all.

Grade D+ (Last season C)

The rest

Jili Buyabu
Formerly at Palace, he had trained with Chelsea and been linked with a few clubs as he played at Hornchurch this season. Forest and Peterborough were linked with him but United ‘won’ the race. He can play midfield or full back and has been used a wing back and has played in the U21’sregularly and also got on the first team bench this season and then made his bow at Birmingham and joined in the celebrations at the end. Another athletic, quick footballer in the mould of many coming through at Shirecliffe – albeit via another club in this instance.

Sai Sachdev
I watched him in the Academy last year and was impressed. A skilful, quick and competitive right back. He was involved quite a bit in the U21’s too and his form saw him actually involved with the first team squad this season as we got a few injuries and he came on at Stoke. Originally from Leicester, Sachdev has played for the England youth teams and seems a player United have high hopes for. He was on the bench in the cup games. Another who may go on loan next season you think as he is only just 18 so has time on his side.

Joe Starbuck
After Grimsby went down, he was given the chance to move on after activating a clause in his contract. We signed the 19-year-old and he quickly became a regular in the U21’s as a right back. He seemed to do quite well and he assisted and scored for the successful team he was part of, that seemed to win every game they played! Clearly impressed as even though we had injuries, he got on the bench for games at Wolves and Millwall in 21-22 and had a few more sub appearances this year too. He did have loans at Kidderminster and Boston and again you would have hoped he would have had a league loan, having left Grimsby who were higher ranked than those two when he left them. Went back to the U21’s to finish the season. Hopefully can get some loan experience next season if he remains.

Harry Boyes Boyes is another been with the club for a few years since he came from Man City. A couple of seasons ago, he was on loan in non-league and scored a good goal for Bradford Park Avenue but this was National League North level so a fair drop down the pyramid. Whenever I saw him, he seemed to have a nice left foot. Recall he did get on the bench for the Newcastle game a few seasons ago. He came back to the U21’s for a while but then ended up at Solihull Moor in the National League last season and then he was moved up to play for Forest Green. It seemed a bit hit and miss there but got some good reports and then he recalled as we had a few injuries. Ended up at Lincoln, so a team higher up in League One. Seems well liked and has steadily moved up the leagues but not sure on his contract situation but one that maybe has progressed enough to be kept on?

Femi Seriki
Seriki had stood out at U21 level a few years ago and then of course he ended up at Beerschot but this did not go well and he was barely used. He came back and was the surprise start v Forest last season when we were beset with injuries. He looked a long way off the first team despite some promise for the U21’s. He finished with Boston United a long way down the pyramid and seemed to really stand out again here. He ended up with Rochdale but he was in a struggling side and he was in and out a lot of the season. He still played a fair bit but is not a kid any more in terms of football age/experience so you sense the club may have expected him to stand out more at this level but with Baldock, Bogle, Sachdev and Starbuck, it seems a long way off him being close to United’s first team squad if he is retained.

Miguel Freckleton
The Blades apparently beat a number of sides including Southampton, Hull, and Cardiff City to sign Freckleton a few years ago. He was with Mangotsfield United after leaving Bristol Rovers. Freckleton dropped out of the Rovers academy and went onto the South Gloucestershire and Stroud College football programme. There, under the guidance of former Leeds manager David Hockaday, Freckleton is said to have impressed and United stepped into sign the young defender. He has featured a fair bit in the U21’s in 21-22. This season he played at Wealdstone and did really well and ended up then at Yeovil. United actually brought him back and wanted to register him for the FA Cup due to injuries, so he could be on the bench but could not sort the paperwork out!

Niksoen Gomis
Gomis, a French centre back (has dual nationality actually – France and Senegal) plays left side I believe but can play either role and also wing back. Big lad who likes to come out from the back. We signed him from Evreux Jugend in 2018 and he has progressed up through the young sides. He had a loan spell at Bradford Park Avenue last season but then he came back and was on the bench at Blackpool as we ran out of defenders in 2021-22. He went to Beerschot at the end of last season and then returned there this year and has played some games but mostly in the cup as the team were in the end of season playoffs. Another whose future seems a bit uncertain as he has been a while and not really pushed on.

Jack O’Connell
Have to write about him as he is still on our books as I type this. I fully expect that his release/retirement will be confirmed soon. There is no way he plays league football again I feel. He has been out for 2 years now and after several operations and rehabilitation, he has not kicked a football as far as I’m aware? We heard he was back on the grass around February time from Heckingbottom but he has not been involved in any training I have seen or even close to playing football? Most of his time he seems to be away from the club and has set up a new venture with his girlfriend, England lioness defender Alex Greenwood. His body seems impressive as does his commitment to staying fit but he is built in such a way now and has been doing this sort of weight/gym work, you cannot see how he possibly will ever get back to playing football? I sadly wrote the same last year and the inevitable sad statement will come out soon you think. What a player he was for United and his performances in that run up the league puts him right there with Basham, Fleck, Stevens and Sharp as part of that amazing journey. The goal against Ipswich will forever be remembered. I genuinely think he would have gone on and played for England. He was our best player and asset in the Premier League before the injury. He did say he hopes to be back playing soon and the end of the season came too quick for him to get out there. You were sad we did not get him an emotional send off in a game but he did get to come on and join the team and was announced at the final home game was nice. I am still fairly certain he will move on and maybe he might have to start again at non-league or League 2 level (if we wants to) to try and attempt to get back but not sure anyone gives him more than a week-to-week contract? The picture of him and the League One lads at the WBA game at the end gave a real lump to the throat. Will always be remembered down here no matter what and a proper Blades legend.

Next season

Definitely areas to improve on. You sense we would like to get RND fit and he may be the starting left wing back if so, with Baldock on the other side. Yes, we may want better in both positions but the latter did ok last time and can defend which we will need. Bogle did well last time out in the top flight but it’s George’s shirt. Him and Lowe will be backups you feel. The rest of the defence, Egan and Anel will start and you sense Basham and maybe Robbo will be squad players but we would need to sign a quicker and more athletic left sided centre back (another Anel please!) and another central defender to spell Egan if he is injured, out of form or suspended (happens quite a bit with the extra pace at this level). So, you would hope for at least one starter here, maybe two if RND is not fit. The defence does hopefully have 3 definite starters out of 5 though so less surgery/improvement needed here than elsewhere.

Player / Position Years remaining (contract expires) Red this year Orange next year - Green longer contract –

Defenders

Jack Robinson Out of contract (2023)

Jack O’Connell Out of contract (2023)

Enda Stevens Out of contract(2023)

Chris Basham 1 year (2024)

John Egan 1 year (2024)

George Baldock 1 year (2024)

Max Lowe 1 year (2024)

Jayden Bogle 1 year (2024)

R Norrington Davies 1 year (2024)

Anel Ahmedhodzic 3 years (2026)

Youngsters involved in 1st team last season or loans out (contracts unknown if not stated)

Kyron Gordon Out of contract (2023)

Femi Seriki Out of contract (2023)

Harry Boyes Out of contract (2023)

Niksoen Gomis Out of contract (2023)

Joe Starbuck 1 year (2024)

Sai Sachdev 1 year (2024)

Finley Potter 1 year (2024)

Jili Buyabu 1 year (2024)

Miguel Freckleton 2 years (2025)

Return to loan club:

Ciaran Clark to Newcastle (Out of contact)

I'd score Anel A- simply because when he was in the side we rarely lost and without him we looked porous at the back. In fact only 5 games we lost with him in the side and one of those was with 10 men against Burnley. If he can cut out his needless bookings we have a star defender who will be vital for next season.

Agree about George and RND they are the starting wing backs. Bogle and Lowe will provide back up but both would benefit from a defensive coach who teaches them how to track runners and defend. We desperately need a quality LCB to replace JOC who can cope with pacy forwards. The game against Man City exposed our weakness down the left against pace. JLT earns the right to be a squad player but if we are serious about staying up we need to find that quality LCB. For half a dozen games Clark looked like the answer especially his ability to get forward with the ball. Sadly his injury record now makes him a non starter. I'd take Jarrod Branthwaite from Everton as one of our 2 loans if Everton remain in the EPL.

I'd score Anel A- simply because when he was in the side we rarely lost and without him we looked porous at the back. In fact only 5 games we lost with him in the side and one of those was with 10 men against Burnley. If he can cut out his needless bookings we have a star defender who will be vital for next season.

Agree about George and RND they are the starting wing backs. Bogle and Lowe will provide back up but both would benefit from a defensive coach who teaches them how to track runners and defend. We desperately need a quality LCB to replace JOC who can cope with pacy forwards. The game against Man City exposed our weakness down the left against pace. JLT earns the right to be a squad player but if we are serious about staying up we need to find that quality LCB. For half a dozen games Clark looked like the answer especially his ability to get forward with the ball. Sadly his injury record now makes him a non starter. I'd take Jarrod Branthwaite from Everton as one of our 2 loans if Everton remain in the EPL.

I think Anel was amazing at first but then dropped off after his glandular fever (not his fault). He was ordinary in a fair few games for a spell and only got back to the form he showed at the end of the season. He also picked up two suspensions and got so many cheap bookings as well as giving too many unnecessary free kicks away.

I can see why some would say A- but feel Egan and Baldock were not two grades off him if I did. Maybe you could bump them all up - I am a harsh marker.

I think Anel was amazing at first but then dropped off after his glandular fever (not his fault). He was ordinary in a fair few games for a spell and only got back to the form he showed at the end of the season. He also picked up two suspensions and got so many cheap bookings as well as giving too many unnecessary free kicks away.

I can see why some would say A- but feel Egan and Baldock were not two grades off him if I did. Maybe you could bump them all up - I am a harsh marker.
A- is only one mark up from B+ isn't it DB? Agree he's not 2 marks in front of Egan and Baldock but wanted to elevate him to best defender rather than have 3 with the same score. Don't agree you're a harsh marker we seem to be on the same page most weeks as far as scores are concerned when you submit your reports.

A- is only one mark up from B+ isn't it DB? Agree he's not 2 marks in front of Egan and Baldock but wanted to elevate him to best defender rather than have 3 with the same score. Don't agree you're a harsh marker we seem to be on the same page most weeks as far as scores are concerned when you submit your reports.

I could not even recall what I marked Egan and Baldock! Thought I'd given them B's! Can't even read my own stuff!

Yeah I think Anel was closest to being an A- but not quite sure I could put him there for the games he missed and the reasons I stated. I think he had a brilliant start, good end and an ordinary few months in the middle but you are right we did not lose many when he played.

Jack Robinson Once a much-maligned player that got lots of stick from the crowd – he played way more than he should have done in the Premier League – not sure he will ever be good enough to be close to a regular in the top flight (even with his improvements). However, he has improved remarkably since Hecky came in and last season was our most improved player and was a bit of a cult figure/inspiration leading the fight as we surged up the league. He still made some silly mistakes and this has continued this season but he has also played fairly well consistently and even with us using Norrington Davies and Clark here, he has been the main starter in the left centre back position.

He did not start the season and had an injury that seemed to go on and on (like a number of other players) and you wondered when he would actually come back. It was not until the West Brom away game that he started and he helped settled down a defence that had been wobbling after a poor spell (after a number of water tight games to start the season). He played in the next 5 games as we won 4 out of 5 – with his only error being the one that led to Rotherham scoring – whenever he does make a mistake it always seems to go in whilst others tend to get away with it more?!

I think he got another injury but was back again for Blackpool away as we went on another good run. Clark was proving even more incapable of staying fit and with Norrington Davies, Osborn and Lowe all on the shelf at some point, he was the most readily available after ironically, he was the one not fit for the early months. He was pretty much a regular after this and for the most part solid as we kept a number of clean sheets. He scored a great strike on the rebound against Swansea and nearly got another in the same game hitting the post!

The Burnley games do kind of sum up his erratic United career. An own goal, stupid mistake to cost us a goal and all over the shop, then he came out second half determined, played much better and scored the third goal and made amends. The in the second game, he gets in a mess with Wes, leads to the keeper getting sent off and he then rows with Hecky for being sacrificed!

I recall him being superb in the game against Spurs in the cup with some crunching tackles that the BBC commentators enthused about. We saw this in other games and at times maybe he was close the line but he made so many where he got the ball and showed his man he was about too – so clearly works on this aspect of his game as he used to be a bit more reckless in this regard. He had a number of games where we would all quietly say you know Robinson was really solid/maybe the man of the match, even in some of the losses.

He finished the season with some more great performances and showed his commitment and thought at times he was one of the best players. In the home games, he was often the one coming out of defence, winning tackles with some gusto and leading the charge. Really consistent in what he did and I never thought I would say this but one of those you could count on to be a 7/10 most weeks.

Robinson seems a lot older than he is/looks – he is still only 29! He has been around a fair bit at this level but seems to have found a home. I would have concerns about him being a regular at the top level versus the athletes/pace and feel he would get lots of yellow cards and reds too with VAR but I would have no issues keeping him and using him at times. We need an upgrade here I believe when you look at what we have done with Anel on the other side but for the first time in 3 years, we finally have someone who has held down that position after the massive loss of O’Connell. Credit to him, it is hard to turn any football supporters around (all clubs) and for the most part he has done that and seems well liked by fans and teammates alike.

Grade B (Last season B-)

Max Lowe He seemed all set to depart United last summer after he had a relatively successful loan at Forest but them going up probably meant they would look for better quality despite him doing well at the City Ground. When he was signed, he was never seen as the ‘big’ piece in the double transfer full back signing from Derby back in 2019 but as United struggled and Stevens never really recovered his form, he did play some games but I always thought he looked badly out of his depth. He played 8 times (11 including the cups) but as Norrington Davies came back and Stevens was still under contract, it was not a surprise he was allowed to move on and went to Forest on a season long loan. He did well and started regularly until he picked up a few injuries and was not involved as much in the run in as they got promoted via the play offs.

I thought if he did not go to Forest be may go elsewhere and it seemed he wanted that move as his comments since have proved as he came back and was a bit sulky and his sub appearance at Watford, he was horrific. I felt he would not play much and that he would be third choice if he remained but as Norrington Davies was employed as left centre back a fair bit and Stevens continued to struggle with form and fitness. He had another poor showing in the first half at the Riverside but improved after the interval and then he ended up starting 7 games in a row and surprised with some good performances. He scored against Sunderland and for a run of games around August and September he was excellent and many saying how improved he looked. He dovetailed nicely around RND and they had a good combination down that side both attacking wise and defensively. He cut out the silly errors and showed he could be a threat with his first time crossing and energetic play. He then pulled a muscle I think at Hull and was out for a fairly lengthy period and United did not look as secure for this spell and had the run of poor results.

He did not return till after the World Cup and even then, was mostly a sub for a period even with Norrington Davies now also out injured but started against Coventry and at Blackpool. From mid-January with Stevens out also, he ended up being the starter again – maybe more by default than form this time around. I never thought he was the same player and looked more like the Lowe we saw in the Premier League and someone who was not tight enough to his man, got beat too easily and did not stop crosses. Other than maybe Stoke and Swansea at home, I think he had more poor games than good ones. He also did not look the same attacking wise. I recall him being a weak link for a significant period, to the extent we looked better in the game when Osborn and then when Lowe was ill, Baldock was shifted over that side. Too many mistakes, hesitant moments and he looks lacking in confidence after such a good start has settled the player that is probably not quite good enough. He still had some good moments and was better in second halves of games than the first half.

Over the course of his United career, I am not convinced he is the answer in this position. He is not as quick as you think and not switched on defensively. I feel he is ok as a backup next year but would worry if he is playing more than the odd game. His contract is up in a season and he is only 26 but he is another that is injury prone and has not played more than 30 games in his career and tends to be around 15-20 starts for his career which is not enough – either due to form or fitness. I thought we saw some real promise at the start of the season but we forget this was a small sample size (less than 10 games) in his United career, where for the most part he has not been at the level we need.

Grade C+ (Last season NA)

Kyron Gordon A player who featured in a number of games towards the end of the 21-22 season. He did ok and played well v Barnsley but struggled (as they all did) at Coventry. He has always had a good reputation and recall a few clubs such as Everton being linked with him. However, I never sensed he has the football ability, technically I mean as others that have come through like Lowton, Naughton, Walker and Maguire. Is quick and reads the gamer well but not massive and thus physically he may struggle in his central position. He will be disappointed how this season has gone – his only game we got well beat at Stoke and although he has been on the bench, he has not really been close to being involved. He has been a regular at U21 level. He is only just turning 21 but you think it is a bit make or break and I sense he may need to go and play games in League 2 either on loan or permanent before he can think about playing at this level and he has not been close to the team at all.

Grade D+ (Last season C)

The rest

Jili Buyabu
Formerly at Palace, he had trained with Chelsea and been linked with a few clubs as he played at Hornchurch this season. Forest and Peterborough were linked with him but United ‘won’ the race. He can play midfield or full back and has been used a wing back and has played in the U21’sregularly and also got on the first team bench this season and then made his bow at Birmingham and joined in the celebrations at the end. Another athletic, quick footballer in the mould of many coming through at Shirecliffe – albeit via another club in this instance.

Sai Sachdev
I watched him in the Academy last year and was impressed. A skilful, quick and competitive right back. He was involved quite a bit in the U21’s too and his form saw him actually involved with the first team squad this season as we got a few injuries and he came on at Stoke. Originally from Leicester, Sachdev has played for the England youth teams and seems a player United have high hopes for. He was on the bench in the cup games. Another who may go on loan next season you think as he is only just 18 so has time on his side.

Joe Starbuck
After Grimsby went down, he was given the chance to move on after activating a clause in his contract. We signed the 19-year-old and he quickly became a regular in the U21’s as a right back. He seemed to do quite well and he assisted and scored for the successful team he was part of, that seemed to win every game they played! Clearly impressed as even though we had injuries, he got on the bench for games at Wolves and Millwall in 21-22 and had a few more sub appearances this year too. He did have loans at Kidderminster and Boston and again you would have hoped he would have had a league loan, having left Grimsby who were higher ranked than those two when he left them. Went back to the U21’s to finish the season. Hopefully can get some loan experience next season if he remains.

Harry Boyes Boyes is another been with the club for a few years since he came from Man City. A couple of seasons ago, he was on loan in non-league and scored a good goal for Bradford Park Avenue but this was National League North level so a fair drop down the pyramid. Whenever I saw him, he seemed to have a nice left foot. Recall he did get on the bench for the Newcastle game a few seasons ago. He came back to the U21’s for a while but then ended up at Solihull Moor in the National League last season and then he was moved up to play for Forest Green. It seemed a bit hit and miss there but got some good reports and then he recalled as we had a few injuries. Ended up at Lincoln, so a team higher up in League One. Seems well liked and has steadily moved up the leagues but not sure on his contract situation but one that maybe has progressed enough to be kept on?

Femi Seriki
Seriki had stood out at U21 level a few years ago and then of course he ended up at Beerschot but this did not go well and he was barely used. He came back and was the surprise start v Forest last season when we were beset with injuries. He looked a long way off the first team despite some promise for the U21’s. He finished with Boston United a long way down the pyramid and seemed to really stand out again here. He ended up with Rochdale but he was in a struggling side and he was in and out a lot of the season. He still played a fair bit but is not a kid any more in terms of football age/experience so you sense the club may have expected him to stand out more at this level but with Baldock, Bogle, Sachdev and Starbuck, it seems a long way off him being close to United’s first team squad if he is retained.

Miguel Freckleton
The Blades apparently beat a number of sides including Southampton, Hull, and Cardiff City to sign Freckleton a few years ago. He was with Mangotsfield United after leaving Bristol Rovers. Freckleton dropped out of the Rovers academy and went onto the South Gloucestershire and Stroud College football programme. There, under the guidance of former Leeds manager David Hockaday, Freckleton is said to have impressed and United stepped into sign the young defender. He has featured a fair bit in the U21’s in 21-22. This season he played at Wealdstone and did really well and ended up then at Yeovil. United actually brought him back and wanted to register him for the FA Cup due to injuries, so he could be on the bench but could not sort the paperwork out!

Niksoen Gomis
Gomis, a French centre back (has dual nationality actually – France and Senegal) plays left side I believe but can play either role and also wing back. Big lad who likes to come out from the back. We signed him from Evreux Jugend in 2018 and he has progressed up through the young sides. He had a loan spell at Bradford Park Avenue last season but then he came back and was on the bench at Blackpool as we ran out of defenders in 2021-22. He went to Beerschot at the end of last season and then returned there this year and has played some games but mostly in the cup as the team were in the end of season playoffs. Another whose future seems a bit uncertain as he has been a while and not really pushed on.

Jack O’Connell
Have to write about him as he is still on our books as I type this. I fully expect that his release/retirement will be confirmed soon. There is no way he plays league football again I feel. He has been out for 2 years now and after several operations and rehabilitation, he has not kicked a football as far as I’m aware? We heard he was back on the grass around February time from Heckingbottom but he has not been involved in any training I have seen or even close to playing football? Most of his time he seems to be away from the club and has set up a new venture with his girlfriend, England lioness defender Alex Greenwood. His body seems impressive as does his commitment to staying fit but he is built in such a way now and has been doing this sort of weight/gym work, you cannot see how he possibly will ever get back to playing football? I sadly wrote the same last year and the inevitable sad statement will come out soon you think. What a player he was for United and his performances in that run up the league puts him right there with Basham, Fleck, Stevens and Sharp as part of that amazing journey. The goal against Ipswich will forever be remembered. I genuinely think he would have gone on and played for England. He was our best player and asset in the Premier League before the injury. He did say he hopes to be back playing soon and the end of the season came too quick for him to get out there. You were sad we did not get him an emotional send off in a game but he did get to come on and join the team and was announced at the final home game was nice. I am still fairly certain he will move on and maybe he might have to start again at non-league or League 2 level (if we wants to) to try and attempt to get back but not sure anyone gives him more than a week-to-week contract? The picture of him and the League One lads at the WBA game at the end gave a real lump to the throat. Will always be remembered down here no matter what and a proper Blades legend.

Hi DB, not aware that Gomis went to Beerschot last season. He came in the January window this season.

He's seen pretty much no action at all regarding the first team. I think he got 20 minutes in a defeat against the team that will eventually gain promotion, as a sub and that was it.

The rest of his time has seen him in the reserve team, who are bottom. He's got 2 assists in 11 matches but they haven't kept a single clean sheet in any of those.

At 21 already and us already where we are, you'd think that his ship has sailed really.

Beerschot fell away badly after Christmas to finish third but a long way back from the top two. Their first choice left back Nzita was injured for a good period of time and he couldn't even make any headway then.

Like Seriki, he just doesn't appear to have been able to stand out even in a pretty average set up. Unless he's got time to run on his deal you'd think the club is perhaps seeing more in Buyabu, who is around 17 months his junior and has already made his senior debut, albeit from the bench.

I genuinely believe that had JOC not been injured we would have stayed in the PL for at least a third season. Without him our defence was much weakened and Bryan, Robinson or whoever played LCB were always a weak link. I seem to recall that we lost quite a few of our games (particularly early on) by the odd goal and always looked very vulnerable in the air in the LCB position. Not only did we miss his defending but he was also a very important part of our offensive play in the “overlapping CBS” tactic. His forward runs had created a number of goals in our first season and were always a big threat. We had no one who could take on that role and consequently a large attacking option disappeared. So sad for us but particularly for him. As you say DB he was clearly on the verge of an England call up.

I genuinely believe that had JOC not been injured we would have stayed in the PL for at least a third season. Without him our defence was much weakened and Bryan, Robinson or whoever played LCB were always a weak link. I seem to recall that we lost quite a few of our games (particularly early on) by the odd goal and always looked very vulnerable in the air in the LCB position. Not only did we miss his defending but he was also a very important part of our offensive play in the “overlapping CBS” tactic. His forward runs had created a number of goals in our first season and were always a big threat. We had no one who could take on that role and consequently a large attacking option disappeared. So sad for us but particularly for him. As you say DB he was clearly on the verge of an England call up.
Agree - he was a huge miss. The loss of continuity at the back with both JOC gone and a new keeper in cost us in that early phase. Then we were playing catch up.
And he would have stayed for that covid season as teams weren’t throwing as much money around given lost revenues.

Agree his loss has never been replaced. His aerial ability alone saved us conceding numerous goals. His positional awareness made him stand out from all those who tried to follow. He was a centre half who knew how to read the game something you can't coach into a player. Our flirtations in trying to convert full backs into the LCB role have failed. As for a left footed overlapping LCB we haven't found one in all this time although in the half a dozen games the injury hit Clark played there were signs he was the right fit. He then became SUFC's version of Darren Anderton and spent more time on the treatment table.

Of the youngsters Gomis looked the nearest fit 6 foot 3 left footer and a centre half. We have probably just ruined his development by sending him to Beerschot to spend six months in their reserves. A quality left footed centre back 6 foot plus in stature has to be at the top of our shopping list. Converted full backs and right footers need not apply.

Back
Top Bottom