When the Green Un was the most important newspaper to us

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Just got giddy and stuck a fiver on 1-2 at 15/1.

What's tha reckon Fred toneet?

I always fancied having Blades Glory - Owls Down framed on my wall

Note to self - I should get round to that eventually
Like this? No headline will ever beat this. Still got my copy after coming back from Leicester and picking one up on that most glorious of day's. What a wonderful day and still my best after 60 years being a Blade.

download (13).jpg

Surprised there wasn't/isn't a market for it.

I guess I'm just a dinosaur.

I'd say there is a market for it just not a big enough market for the shareholders of companies which own most of the regional press in this country. It's not about breaking even for them, they expect margins of 20% or more.

Like this? No headline will ever beat this. Still got my copy after coming back from Leicester and picking one up on that most glorious of day's. What a wonderful day and still my best after 60 years being a Blade.

View attachment 178672
Just like that. Next time you dig out your copy - take a (bigger decen quality) photo and post it.

I worked in the Hammer when the Green Un started getting delivered to the pub. It was a genius move by the pub but annoyed the newsagents somewhat, probably mid 90s.
Early 80’s leave the Lane at 5, queue up outside the pub, didn’t open till 6 in those days, Green Uns would arrive about 6:15, just after first orders. Happy Days.

I too remember queuing outside the post office on Abbey Lane for my Green Un. I used to study all the results and scorers.

One other thing it provided was reports on local Non-League teams and junior leagues in the Redgate Sunday League. Used to have a look for my name if I'd scored the previous week, which wasn't too often.

When I first moved to Suffolk I had Green Un on postal subscription, 6 months for £32. I used to get it Tuesday after a match but once the internet arrived there didn't seem any point.

I miss the Green 'Un. Brings back very happy memories of my childhood.

I know they did a digital version available through an app but then that stopped.

Anyone know why?

UTB

My memory is if both United and Wednesday had impressive wins
then you could bet The Star vans would be running late and there would be a massive queue of people waiting for Green-uns at the newsagent.
People had to stand outside because the shop was too crowded.

When they both lost...there was just the hardcore regulars buying the paper.

Weird when you think about the excitement I had waiting for a Green'un.....
Scouring the results, looking at the goalscorers, attendances and the league tables, if we were near the top of the league I just used to stare at the table. Also had quite a good Sunday league section, with scores, league tables and sometimes very short match reports.
My friend played in the Sunday Imperial League and roughly once a season would get his name mentioned in the paper....like he was famous ha ha.

Last edited:
The printing style was brilliant,as a kid I could spend hours just looking at the results,tables, especially our score if it we had won,always looked best in the Green Un,and the Central league and Northern intermediate league results and tables .

Back in the 70’s a mate of mine once said to me - “You know you’ve given it a good read when you can recite the Bible Class Div. 2 results off by heart “. :)

Brings back great memories. As others have said I would stare at it for hours on a Saturday evening, all results, league tables, match reports, letters page and even down to northern intermediate league table and top scorers (mr mendonca).

Can resonate with the comments about waiting at the newsagents (Nethershire Lane for me), asking the newsagent owner how long they are going to be. He was always polite when really he’d be entitled to say to me how the fuck do I know , especially because I probably asked him every week.

Paying for it whilst you were waiting for the van to save those valuable seconds in being able to take one as soon as the string was cut.

I look back now and realise a point when it must have become really serious as I used to buy 2 copies as me and my dad always fought for the first read

Used to leave bramall lane early 80s and do forth . Walk up the Moor, ) no mobiles back then.
Look in TV shop windows to see the final scores. Loads did.
Then walk to high street and buy the green un from an old woman who screamed come and get your green un by the old geisha bar or blue Bell on high Street and read it on the 52 bus back to handsworth .

Newcastle had a Pink.
Still have a copy from our 2-0 defeat in November 89.
On the first proper date with my other half all she remembers we were in the Big Tree and I spent most of the night reading the Green 'Un, it was the day we won 2-1 at Everton in 91 with the late Marwood goal.

Last edited:
Back in the 70’s a mate of mine once said to me - “You know you’ve given it a good read when you can recite the Bible Class Div. 2 results off by heart “. :)
They must have had reporters at loads of Midland League games,I always read about Worksop Town and Gainsborough Trinity games and loads of others in the Yorkshire League,but it tended to end about half way through the second half so they could get it in print,god knows who was writing it all down in the office,but you could look in the late scorers on the front page for a full time.

Waiting for them to arrive at the local paper shop with much anticipation, with many many others , at 6.15 pm on a Saturday was a weekly highlight - good times . Had a couple of letters printed in the green un
That's brought back some memries that I have not recalled in years and years.

I had a job in a newsagents on a Saturday evening 6-7pm just for the Green Un. It was like 10 minutes of mayhem and then twiddling thumbs waiting to close. This was early 80s. Think I got £2.50 for it.

The mayhem was always worse if the paper was late. Queuing up the street. Some would come in with piles of coppers to the correct amount, and then some knob would hand you a £20 note with thirty blokes waiting in the queue behind. Was it 15p at the time? Can't remember now.

Quite a feat of logistics to get all the reports and results in, typeset, printed and as far as Woodseats between 4.50pm and usually about 6.10pm. The papers were actually warm when they landed.

As a teenager I'd stand dutifully at GT News on Burncross Road waiting for it to be delivered if I hadn't been to the match, or if I had I'd hang around in town for a bit until I could get a copy to read on the bus on the way home.

It pretty much went rapidly downhill in the 2000's, with the advent of smartphones, the internet and apps where I could see all the content I wanted and have all the breaking news at my finger tips. Before that it was all the Green 'Un and Teletext for the latest breaking news.

Wasn't there a summer green un as well?

Yeah, there was. It wasn't anywhere near as good.

Another fun filled fact. The only time the edition not to be published on a Saturday was a special edition on the day after the Hillsborough Disaster.

Just like that. Next time you dig out your copy - take a (bigger decen quality) photo and post it.
Still got my copy but over the years the green has been bleached from the paper…

IMG_0862.jpeg
Here is the centre pages ‘Match Report’ spread…

IMG_0865.jpeg

Interesting to note on the ‘United page’, Bassett had spotted Efan Ekoku playing in non-league at Sutton United. Harry hoped that he’d done a deal but, as was ever the case, it seems that we lost out on fee/wages. He actually moved to Bournemouth - then in the third division - that Summer…

IMG_0863.jpeg

Finally, on the letters page - and with reference to another thread about the kicking that we’re currently getting from the national media - it has invariably been the case as Rebecca Ashley of Hunters Bar highlights…

IMG_0864.jpeg

Agreed, I remember queuing up outside the newsagents at Bents Green waiting for the Star van to arrive.

Mum and dad used to send it to me along with cuttings from the Star when I first moved to London. Mum who is 88 now still cuts bits out of the Star and sends them down to me.
I was probably waiting there too! The owner was a Barnsley fan so I used to.like it when they had lost!

This photo made me smile and it reminded me of my excitement on receiving the Green Un from my dad through the post during my boarding school years between 1973 and 1979. A lady posted the below photo on a Facebook group, her dad on the right reading the Green Un in India which had been sent by his mum.

View attachment 178665
Many memories of being stood in a queue outside the paper shop every sat night around 6 waiting for the Green Un’ to arrive.

Back
Top Bottom