1973-74 match reports and photos (50 years ago today)

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Silent Blade

Reaction score
14/7/1973

I read somewhere that Tony Currie opened the Dronfield Sports Centre on 14th July but I dont think I was aware of the opening that day otherwise I would have attended the event and probably would have been in the below photo. There were still plenty of rumours in the papers that TC may move to a new club and it was well known that Tommy Docherty of Manchester United was keen on signing him.

The following week was to be my last week at Maud Maxfield school and I was to start at Mary Hare school near Newbury on 21st August which meant that my summer school holiday would be only 4 weeks long. I knew it meant that I would miss quite a lot of matches in the new season despite that my dad still bought us season tickets for the same seats in the BLUT.

The summer was going to be the last time Yorkshire CCC have cricket matches being played at Bramall Lane because a new stand was going to be built scheduled for the 1974/75 season.

1689292973542.png

No,I can't remember him being all that good.
I know - he was a kind of vanilla player , in the same bracket for me as Cliff Calvert . A slow downgrading on the first team from the halcyon days - with only a couple of brief shining lights such as David Bradford and Tony Field . The rot was really starting to set in but we couldn’t see it at the time

I know - he was a kind of vanilla player , in the same bracket for me as Cliff Calvert . A slow downgrading on the first team from the halcyon days - with only a couple of brief shining lights such as David Bradford and Tony Field . The rot was really starting to set in but we couldn’t see it at the time
Remembering the Tony Field goal against Ipswich,beating half the Ipswich team and 3 programme sellers to score.😁

Remembering the Tony Field goal against Ipswich,beating half the Ipswich team and 3 programme sellers to score.😁
Wasn’t it fantastic

No one , not even TF , knew what was happening .

Ricky Villas goal v Man C in the FA cup final was great but not as good as Tony’s - imo

Wasn’t it fantastic

No one , not even TF , knew what was happening .

Ricky Villas goal v Man C in the FA cup final was great but not as good as Tony’s - imo
your right even field didnt know what he was doing just set off head down and did a forest gump just kept on running till there was only keeper to beat mind the kop went wild when it went in

20/7/1973

TC signs a new contract!

It was only recently I realised that 20th July 1973 was my last day at Maud Maxfield also when the front page headlines in the Sheffield Star that evening was about TC signing a new contract! I do remember my dad coming home from work all smiles and showed me the front page of the Star. It was great news for me and to all Blades fans despite that I knew I would be missing more than half of the Blades matches during the 1973-74 season as I was due to start at Mary Hare school (near Newbury) on 21st August!
TCcontracthead.jpg
TCcontractsign.jpg

TCcontract front.jpg

TCcontractfront1.jpg
TCcontractback.jpg
TCcontractback1.jpg
TCcontractback2.jpg
TCcontractback3.jpg

The day after TC signed that contract was my 20th birthday, and here we are, on the eve of my 70th, desperately hoping for the same from Iliman. As our many French-speaking players might put it: plus ca change, plus c’est la meme chose!
Have a happy 70th for tomorrow!

14/7/1973

I read somewhere that Tony Currie opened the Dronfield Sports Centre on 14th July but I dont think I was aware of the opening that day otherwise I would have attended the event and probably would have been in the below photo. There were still plenty of rumours in the papers that TC may move to a new club and it was well known that Tommy Docherty of Manchester United was keen on signing him.

The following week was to be my last week at Maud Maxfield school and I was to start at Mary Hare school near Newbury on 21st August which meant that my summer school holiday would be only 4 weeks long. I knew it meant that I would miss quite a lot of matches in the new season despite that my dad still bought us season tickets for the same seats in the BLUT.

The summer was going to be the last time Yorkshire CCC have cricket matches being played at Bramall Lane because a new stand was going to be built scheduled for the 1974/75 season.

View attachment 164606
Knock off Friday dinner, money in on't Gosforth Valley, call in here for a couple en route to the Green Dragon. Lots of young mums splashing abart with their toddlers . Like having a cabaret, quite continental.:)

The day after TC signed that contract was my 20th birthday, and here we are, on the eve of my 70thdesperately hoping for the same from Iliman. As our many French-speaking players might put it: plus ca change, plus c’est la meme chose!
happy 70th newbury your one of us now lol 😜
Inside I’m still the same kid who stood on the Kop watching Woody and TC.

Is the plaque still in the foyer of Dronfield Sports Centre commemorating TC opening it? It was last time I went in but I think that was in 1998.

Is the plaque still in the foyer of Dronfield Sports Centre commemorating TC opening it? It was last time I went in but I think that was in 1998.
Couldnt see it when I looked last week, only the re-opening (2008) plaque

The day after TC signed that contract was my 20th birthday, and here we are, on the eve of my 70thdesperately hoping for the same from Iliman. As our many French-speaking players might put it: plus ca change, plus c’est la meme chose!

Inside I’m still the same kid who stood on the Kop watching Woody and TC.
yeah know what you mean newbury great days eh 👍

your right even field didnt know what he was doing just set off head down and did a forest gump just kept on running till there was only keeper to beat mind the kop went wild when it went in
You'll see a few like that from Ndiaye this season mark my words.

31/7/1973

Roda 1 Blades 4 (Bone 2, Woodward, Dearden)

Two more photos of Blades fans at Holland in 1973. Shred is in both of them, not sure why John Connaughton was wearing white shorts. Could taken be at the Papendal training centre (near Arnhem) where the Blades players were staying in or at Roda?

1690755275994.png
1690755341795.png

Rodahead.jpg
Roda1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom