1973-74 match reports and photos (50 years ago today)

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

4/5/1974

FA Cup final

Liverpool 3 (Keegan 2, Heighway) Newcastle 0

My first FA Cup final at Mary Hare. I really wanted Newcastle to win because I got on well with John Tudor who sadly now has dementia but I am still in touch with his wife. There were more pupils at school cheering for Liverpool than for Newcastle.

4/5/1974

FA Cup final

My first FA Cup final at Mary Hare. I really wanted Newcastle to win because I got on well with John Tudor who sadly now has dementia but I am still in touch with his wife. There were more pupils at school cheering for Liverpool than for Newcastle.

Wow

50 😉years ago

Where does time go

Great time to watch football and follow Utd

What an atmosphere

The Cup final meant everything in those days - shame it’s a shadow of its former self

Last edited:
3/5/1974

Friendly match at Oran

Algerian X1 3 (Dali, Lalmas, Belahari) Blades 1 (Nicholl)

Steve Goulding sent off

View attachment 182883

View attachment 182884
View attachment 182885

"Even I scored against dem Blades"

Wow

40 years ago

Where does time go

Great time to watch football and follow Utd

What an atmosphere

The Cup final meant everything in those days - shame it’s a shadow of its former self
Bad news for you mate - it's 50 years.

Most incredible thing about that game was the managers Shankly and Harvey sat next to each other. Squashed up too.

4/5/1974

FA Cup final

Managers say side by side

remember this final well malcolm macdonald never got a kick one phrase from david coleman summed liverpools dominance that day ' shankses army swarming all over newcastle' lol

I've never seen the highlights from ITV for this one, nor any BBC highlights for the year before. Yet, in my head, the final was televised on both back then??

I always thought this FA Cup Final (Liverpool v Newcastle) was Shankly's last game as manager but I believe he managed the Charity Shield in August v. Leeds when Keegan and Bremener were sent off.

The Liverpool fans adored Shankly. If ever there's a reference to 'pashun' in football then Shankly was the definition of it. Football was his life.

I've never seen the highlights from ITV for this one, nor any BBC highlights for the year before. Yet, in my head, the final was televised on both back then??
Yes, live on both channels

I always thought this FA Cup Final (Liverpool v Newcastle) was Shankly's last game as manager but I believe he managed the Charity Shield in August v. Leeds when Keegan and Bremener were sent off.

The Liverpool fans adored Shankly. If ever there's a reference to 'pashun' in football then Shankly was the definition of it. Football was his life.
Yes the Charity Shield was his last match

Jim Brown in Scotland's preliminary World Cup squad of 40 players. He didnt get selected in Scotland's Home International squad. None of the three keepers (David Harvey, Thomson Allan and Jim Stewart) got injured during the Home International matches so Jim Brown didnt make the final cut for the World Cup squad of 22.

Brownworld cup.jpg

9/5/1974

Alan Woodward's testimonial

Blades 3 (Speight, Nicholl, Woodward) Wendy 3 (Prudham 2, Potts)

I wasnt aware that a date was found for Woody's testimonial (original date was supposed to be on 23th April but it was postponed for some reason) until I received a letter from my dad including his match report. I dont know why Morning Telegraph thought Tony Field, not Woody scored the 3rd goal. I am sure my dad wrote that Woody got the 3rd goal and it says the same in Denis Clareborough's history book. The attendance was disappointing. Even my Uncle Ronnie wrote a few pages about the match in his book showing his disappointment that there werent enough Blades fans that night as Wendy fans "took" the Kop!

I was disappointed that I was 160 miles away from the match as I wanted to pay homage to one of my favourite players

Woodytestmt.jpg
Woodyclap.png

1715209452824.png
Woodyprog1.jpg
Woodyprog2.jpg
Woodyprog3.jpg
Woodyprog4.jpg
Woodyprog5.jpg
Woodyprog6.jpg
Woodyprog7.jpg
Woodyprog8.jpg
Woodyprog9.jpg
Woodyprog10.jpg
Woodyprog11.jpg
Woodyprog12.jpg
Woodyprog13.jpg

9/5/1974

I wasnt aware that a date was found for Woody's testimonial (original date was supposed to be on 23th April but it was postponed for some reason) until I received a letter from my dad including his match report. I dont know why Morning Telegraph thought Tony Field, not Woody scored the 3rd goal. I am sure my dad wrote that Woody got the 3rd goal and it says the same in Denis Clareborough's history book. The attendance was disappointing. Even my Uncle Ronnie wrote a few pages about the match in his book showing his disappointment that there werent enough Blades fans that night as Wendy fans "took" the Kop!

I was disappointed that I was 160 miles away from the match as I wanted to pay homage to one of my favourite players

View attachment 183127
View attachment 183128

View attachment 183131
View attachment 183130
View attachment 183132
View attachment 183133
View attachment 183134
View attachment 183135
View attachment 183136
View attachment 183137
View attachment 183138
View attachment 183139
View attachment 183140
View attachment 183141
View attachment 183142
View attachment 183143

Whether it be from corners , free kicks or shots on goal , Alan Woodward is undoubtedly one of the finest strikers of a football that I have ever seen in the English game .

It makes me smile when I often read on here that modern footballers are intrinsically better than their predecessors from 50 or 60 years ago since they are stronger , fitter and faster .

These criteria , apart from being questionable to say the least bearing in mind the type of pitches the former had to play on , blithely overlook the fact there might be a number of other factors which contribute to the making of an outstanding footballer . Among these are such attributes as overall skills , vision, technique , ability and application.

Would anyone seriously argue that Kalvin Phillips is better than Bobby Charlton ever was?. The answer is no.

In Woody’s case , the comparison would be with the likes of Oliver Burke …….:)

Whether it be from corners , free kicks or shots on goal , Alan Woodward is undoubtedly one of the finest strikers of a football that I have ever seen in the English game .

It makes me smile when I often read on here that modern footballers are intrinsically better than their predecessors from 50 or 60 years ago since they are stronger , fitter and faster .

These criteria , apart from being questionable to say the least bearing in mind the type of pitches the former had to play on , blithely overlook the fact there might be a number of other factors which contribute to the making of an outstanding footballer . Among these are such attributes as overall skills , vision, technique , ability and application.

Would anyone seriously argue that Kalvin Phillips is better than Bobby Charlton ever was?. The answer is no.

Agreed, can you imagine Woody hitting the light weight ‘footballs’ that are used in today’s game ? Alternately, would the half way line goals scored by the likes of Beckham at Selhurst Park be possible with an old 70’s type heavier ball ??

Agreed, can you imagine Woody hitting the light weight ‘footballs’ that are used in today’s game ? Alternately, would the half way line goals scored by the likes of Beckham at Selhurst Park be possible with an old 70’s type heavier ball ??
The weight of the ball hasn't changed since 1937. It's 14-16 ounces.

The "difference" is that the law states this is at the start of the game and older balls were more prone to taking on water during a wet game and becoming heavier. A game on a dry day would have exactly the same weight ball as games today.

9/5/1974

View attachment 183127
View attachment 183128

View attachment 183131
View attachment 183130
View attachment 183132
View attachment 183133
View attachment 183134
View attachment 183135
View attachment 183136
View attachment 183137
View attachment 183138
View attachment 183139
View attachment 183140
View attachment 183141
View attachment 183142
View attachment 183143

9/5/1974

View attachment 183127
View attachment 183128

View attachment 183131
View attachment 183130
View attachment 183132
View attachment 183133
View attachment 183134
View attachment 183135
View attachment 183136
View attachment 183137
View attachment 183138
View attachment 183139
View attachment 183140
View attachment 183141
View attachment 183142
View attachment 183143
In amongst that lot, I noticed a "Brian Arblaster". Maybe I've missed something along the way, but with a surname like that, our young Oli has got to be related??

9/5/1974

View attachment 183127
View attachment 183128

View attachment 183131
View attachment 183130
View attachment 183132
View attachment 183133
View attachment 183134
View attachment 183135
View attachment 183136
View attachment 183137
View attachment 183138
View attachment 183139
View attachment 183140
View attachment 183141
View attachment 183142
View attachment 183143
yes very poor turnout from united fans that night and wednesday were allowed to take the p**s and take the kop because none of our lot bothered to turn up but thats the only time that has happened never ever got remotely close to the centre of the shoreham in any league games

In the Woody testimonial programme there’s a mention of Yorkshire Tv showing the highlights of the 7-1 Ipswich game,it’s always been in my head that they showed half the game in black and white and the other in colour,can anybody else remember this or have I remembered it wrong all these years?

In the Woody testimonial programme there’s a mention of Yorkshire Tv showing the highlights of the 7-1 Ipswich game,it’s always been in my head that they showed half the game in black and white and the other in colour,can anybody else remember this or have I remembered it wrong all these years?
It was 7-0. For the first half the TV highlights were shown in colour but the quality wasn't good so for the second half the highlights were shown in black and white

Best corner taker ever imo, non of todays team is fit to lace his boots

Back
Top Bottom