When the Green Un was the most important newspaper to us

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I once won letter of the week, with my only missive I sent.

Here it is in all its glory

Dear In Off The Post,

Having watched the Blades labour to another average result, against average opposition this afternoon against Queens Park Rangers, i left Bramall Lane very disappointed with what i have seen, and also fearing what the future hold for Sheffield United in the short, medium and long-term future. I feel that at the moment the club is settling for mediocrity and second best and don't seem to be able to find the answer's within that will help the club progress on the football side, and build on the solid foundations we have built off the field and at the moment.

The first point i wish to raise is the fact that we have several loan player's within the framework of the first team and this is not an ideal situation as we should really be looking to spend the transfer and wage budgets on players that belong to Sheffield United and have a long-term future at the Lane and the opportunity to flourish as Sheffield United players rather than being here as they are deemed not good to enough to play for their parent clubs this season. This also sends out a negative message to the younger players at the club as they must be frustrated as they see a conveyor belt of loan players coming in and out of the club, and denying them an opportunity of getting near the first team.

Tactically we also look very one dimensional, as we are too over reliant on long balls pumped up field from defence and very rarely show any other ideas and when the long ball is not working then very rarely there seems to be a plan B. Plenty of people regularly state we must not be a team that people enjoy playing against due to our physical approach, but on the other side i think sides secretly enjoying playing against us, as we are predictable, and quite often due to the boring, one-dimensional football we play.

Kevin Blackwell has had the time to put his stamp on things at Bramall Lane. To be quite honest i think that looking at our forward line we have several players who have the ability to become a real threat up front for the Blades and score prolifically at this level but haven't had the opportunity to due to the style of play not being suited to their talents, or being played out of position on the wing. Jamie Ward excites a lot of supporters but more often than not he will be played out on the wing (which makes me wonder why Kevin Blackwell signed Kyle Reid and Glenn Little in the summer, as well as bringing in Keith Treacy in on loan whilst having David Cotterill on the books at the same time), Billy Sharp is on fire at Doncaster Rovers who play a more fluid and inventive game than we do and has been criminally wasted at the Lane and is someone who will do well at this level playing a game better suited to his game. For Billy Sharp see Ched Evans who whilst Kevin Blackwell remains manager, will struggle to get a run of games and when he does get on the pitch the type of football we play is not conducive to his style of play. Having said this Blackwell has addressed his attacking problems by paying £500k for a 31 year old whose level is the Championship, and this in itself sends out a negative message to the supporters.

At the moment the way the things are going at Bramall Lane, it is becoming more and more apparent that this one-dimensional approach is seen as the key to our long-term future, and towards the end of the season this could be a dangerous thing as a lot of United's season ticket holders are getting fed up and depressed with the boring, sterile and negative football we play and not enjoying the matches any more. If something doesn't change, i can see quite a lot of the large number of season ticket holders we have accumulated over the last 4 or 5 years deciding that it is no longer worth the investment and finding something else they will get enjoyment out of for their season ticket money.

Yours Sincerely

Zipwire

I always fancied having Blades Glory - Owls Down framed on my wall

Note to self - I should get round to that eventually
C09883F5-4ACB-449E-90F9-A5CE8B1629F5.jpeg
I did this a few years back and had it on a T-shirt, but did not fancy the original pic so added one I would be proud to wear (also changed a couple of words near the end). This is a screengrab but I should have the old high-res image somewhere (if anyone wanted it).

View attachment 178693
I did this a few years back and had it on a T-shirt, but did not fancy the original pic so added one I would be proud to wear (also changed a couple of words near the end). This is a screengrab but I should have the old high-res image somewhere (if anyone wanted it).
That is great (better that great pic than fat Ron). If you can be bothered to find the high-res would be great - no probs if not.

My life history of Green'un waiting for van to arrive -

From about 5 years old to 20
Paper shop on Myrtle Rd.

20 -24
Woolhouses, corner of Ann's Rd and Alexander Rd.

24 - 32
Paper shop at 95 bus terminus, Intake.

32 - until they ceased.
Charnock News (Geoff's)

Absolute ritual and read from cover to cover every week!

That is great (better that great pic than fat Ron). If you can be bothered to find the high-res would be great - no probs if not.
Will have a look (tomorrow). If I find it will post on here and if anyone wants it drop me a link so I can share it.

I delivered the green on saturday for 3 years, had to run up the moor after home to be there in time as it was ready for loading around 5pm when we were at home games finished around 4.40 before 15 minute half times and endless added time set in, a mate brought my austin A40 van up to the Star building and Id be off to Doncaster down the M18 thered be around 15/17 days a season wed have 3pm kick offs on saturdays

Last edited:
More often than not I would get my copy with my Grandad from the Newsagents on Ballifield Drive, Handsworth. Next to the Everest Inn.

He supported the other team, so we both had something to read.

Happy happy days.

Do you know my cousin David Beardow?
I do SB.

Big Blades fan is Dave. He’s a couple of years older than me, god knows how his younger brother John ended up following Wednesday.

Also his late mum Joan was a lovely lady, worked at Lowedges Youth Club when we all used to go in, before we were old enough to go in the Magpie or Mower !

I do SB.

Big Blades fan is Dave. He’s a couple of years older than me, god knows how his younger brother John ended up following Wednesday.

Also his late mum Joan was a lovely lady, worked at Lowedges Youth Club when we all used to go in, before we were old enough to go in the Magpie or Mower !
Joan was my dad's sister. Lovely lady. I was at her funeral in 2019. Her husband Roy passed away last year. Last saw David at Wembley last April. Not seen John since Lisa's funeral.

Thanks for the trip down memory lane… like so many, I can remember waiting for The Star van and being able to spend any change of pick and mix sweets. Let alone those nights where you were slightly late and had to do the run around other shops who might have a copy left!

In today’s digital age, it was pretty impressive back in the days of Teletext and Ceefax how a printed paper could be turned around and distributed across an entire city in such as short space of time.

Possibly, today we have too much info multiple times each day at our finger tips. The Green’ Un had much more credible info and reports. Granted there was speculation, but nothing like what we each read on a daily basis now.

Makes me wonder whether reintroducing the Green’ Un could be more lucrative than the weekly sales of The Star. Maybe it is my age but there is something really satisfying about picking up and reading a printed press than the countless articles on a computer/phone/tablet screen.

Green Un over here and when on Blades away trips to clubs in Lancashire, wasn’t their region a Pink Un ?
East Lancashire had the Sports Pink. Not, so far as I remember, ever called the Pink Un, just the Pink. It covered Burnley and Blackburn Rovers, plus non-league. The reports were about two-thirds the first half, one-third covered most of the second half, and it might end with a sentence "And in the last five minutes, FLETCHER and CASPER scored to give Burnley a 2-1 win."

Something else that's changed - a little lad (about 10 or so) used to do deliveries every Saturday night, and collected the money at the same time. Can't see that being allowed now on dark winter nights.

The summer version featured latest scores from the Lancashire League (cricket), and presumably finals from the previous week.

I do SB.

I think I remember Joan. She worked at the youth club at the same time as John Fair and a guy called Derek.

I do SB.

I think I remember Joan. She worked at the youth club at the same time as John Fair and a guy called Derek.
My dad "giving away" his sister Joan at her wedding in July 1960
Dad and joan.jpg

My dad "giving away" his sister Joan at her wedding in July 1960
View attachment 178739
Folks always looked really dapper in those days as did your Dad and his sister.

On big occasions you could tell how everyone took pride in their appearances even though they often had next to nowt.

A bygone era.

Sorry, couldn’t find originals:

24F8E983-D375-4073-932D-8CC1A6C42A40.jpegAD31A2FA-F279-4C4E-BAF8-AE48017D3F37.jpegF7AF3FDD-591F-4A1B-BD48-7083F206A079.jpeg

The attached images are not great quality but could make a smallish print or maybe a T-shirt (or feel free to use online).

I had a folder full of loads of designs at an old work place but can’t access them, I’ve messaged an old mate there but I’m not holding my breath.

On a related note (and possibly one better suited to the ‘dullest anecdote about meeting a footballer’ thread)…

I printed the Morgs one on a T and was going to wear it one summer to the Yorkshire Wildlife Park with the family, but at the last minute chose something else. When we got there none other than Chris was there with (I assume) his family. I was absolutely gutted and just gave him a respectful nod and a quiet UTB as we passed them (next to the baboons). True story 😞.

Attachments

• CB9E383E-BFC5-463D-8418-6C1D89AB5F49.jpeg
    CB9E383E-BFC5-463D-8418-6C1D89AB5F49.jpeg
    145.1 KB · Views: 3
  • 1D4D0364-3CC1-4F00-9974-395949A0E423.jpeg
    1D4D0364-3CC1-4F00-9974-395949A0E423.jpeg
    58.9 KB · Views: 4
  • 76A35CBF-C5D2-405B-B0A1-1E680B23BE01.jpeg
    76A35CBF-C5D2-405B-B0A1-1E680B23BE01.jpeg
    152.9 KB · Views: 6
As a kid I used to rush down to the shops on Lowedges and wait to see the Star van appear further up Lowedges Road.

As soon as you saw the van there was an audible shout 'He's here'.

If both Sheffield clubs had won then there was more people waiting. Driver would throw a bundle of Green Un's out of the van and a guy would appear cut open the string and start selling.

The van would disappear up to the other shops on Lowedges.

Those vans on a Saturday evening were going all over South Yorkshire.
Which shop on lowedges as my dad may have been running it

Which shop on lowedges as my dad may have been running it

It was the shops near to the Magpie pub. The newsagents at both ends of the estate were run by Mr & Mrs Ditchfield.

With regards to the Green 'Un - they were sold by a random newspaper seller on the shops. The newsagent (Ditchfields) didn't open to sell the Green 'Un.

This was mid to late 1960's.

Other shops on that parade of shops were Gowers and Burgons, S&E Coop, Jacksons, Bennets Butchers.

Back in the day, it always amazed me how I could buy an early copy of the Green-Un at the Threepenny Bit in Pond Street 20-30 minutes after the final whistle. Some of the scores and match reports would be in the 'Latest' column but apart from that it was usually complete. I bet they'd struggle to do that now even with modern technology.

It was the shops near to the Magpie pub. The newsagents at both ends of the estate were run by Mr & Mrs Ditchfield.

With regards to the Green 'Un - they were sold by a random newspaper seller on the shops. The newsagent (Ditchfields) didn't open to sell the Green 'Un.

This was mid to late 1960's.

Other shops on that parade of shops were Gowers and Burgons, S&E Coop, Jacksons, Bennets Butchers.
Ah ok yeah it was 70s when my dad took over the newsagents near the magpie, sadly most of the shops no longer exist, the newsagents has gone, but the butchers still there, and what was Jackson's is now a nisa type convenience store

Golden days, late 80s early 90s, waiting at the paper shop at bottom of Ellesmere Road, Burngreave. Went straight to the pages that reported on local football to see our games rom previous weekend mentioned, name in the paper if you had scored, which wasnt often for me.

Took one to the Dead Sea for the obligatory photo. Seems a great loss of community in some areas now it’s gone

Does anyone know how many copies of the Green Un were sold at its peak?

Back
Top Bottom