When the Green Un was the most important newspaper to us

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Silent Blade

Reaction score
This photo made me smile and it reminded me of my excitement on receiving the Green Un from my dad through the post during my boarding school years between 1973 and 1979. A lady posted the below photo on a Facebook group, her dad on the right reading the Green Un in India which had been sent by his mum.

1707122987300.png

As a kid I used to rush down to the shops on Lowedges and wait to see the Star van appear further up Lowedges Road.

As soon as you saw the van there was an audible shout 'He's here'.

If both Sheffield clubs had won then there was more people waiting. Driver would throw a bundle of Green Un's out of the van and a guy would appear cut open the string and start selling.

The van would disappear up to the other shops on Lowedges.

Those vans on a Saturday evening were going all over South Yorkshire.

Waiting for them to arrive at the local paper shop with much anticipation, with many many others , at 6.15 pm on a Saturday was a weekly highlight - good times . Had a couple of letters printed in the green un
Agreed, I remember queuing up outside the newsagents at Bents Green waiting for the Star van to arrive.

Mum and dad used to send it to me along with cuttings from the Star when I first moved to London. Mum who is 88 now still cuts bits out of the Star and sends them down to me.

Waiting for them to arrive at the local paper shop with much anticipation, with many many others , at 6.15 pm on a Saturday was a weekly highlight - good times . Had a couple of letters printed in the green un
When we lived on Norton Lees Road, I used to get to the ‘paper shop’ on Derbyshire Lane - used to be the last shop down the hill before you reached Cliffefield Road - around 5.45pm.

The Green ‘Un was never going to arrive that early but it became customary to be in place in the shop and to pay in advance to facilitate the frenzied distribution of the papers by the newsagent to the shop full of men and boys - and it did seem to be all men and boys - as soon as the Star van arrived!

The build up of tension on days when the paper was delayed to nearer 6.30pm was intense…

Agreed, I remember queuing up outside the newsagents at Bents Green waiting for the Star van to arrive.

Mum and dad used to send it to me along with cuttings from the Star when I first moved to London. Mum who is 88 now still cuts bits out of the Star and sends them down to me.
I worked in the Hammer when the Green Un started getting delivered to the pub. It was a genius move by the pub but annoyed the newsagents somewhat, probably mid 90s.

The printing style was brilliant,as a kid I could spend hours just looking at the results,tables, especially our score if it we had won,always looked best in the Green Un,and the Central league and Northern intermediate league results and tables .

I miss the Green 'Un. Brings back very happy memories of my childhood.

I know they did a digital version available through an app but then that stopped.

Anyone know why?

UTB

As with any of these things it will have been because it wasn't making any/enough money.

It used to blow my mind that we would leave Bramall Lane at the end of a match, walk into town and by the time we got to High Street that evening's Green 'Un was already out! Printed and out on the streets less than half an hour after the final whistle.

This photo made me smile and it reminded me of my excitement on receiving the Green Un from my dad through the post during my boarding school years between 1973 and 1979. A lady posted the below photo on a Facebook group, her dad on the right reading the Green Un in India which had been sent by his mum.

View attachment 178665
1707122987300-png.178665

That Spot the Ball entry was well out though. No £20 postal order arriving in his parcel anytime soon.

All the lads sat in the pub reading it - great memories. What I didn’t cover I’d follow up whilst having a majestic shit the morning after.

As with any of these things it will have been because it wasn't making any/enough money.

It used to blow my mind that we would leave Bramall Lane at the end of a match, walk into town and by the time we got to High Street that evening's Green 'Un was already out! Printed and out on the streets less than half an hour after the final whistle.
Agree

Remarkable

Surprised there wasn't/isn't a market for it.

I guess I'm just a dinosaur.

Back
Top Bottom