What Do You Miss The Most At BDTBL?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

It wasn't the same old man who was in charge of the scoreboard in the pavilion in the early 1970s. He was replaced by a younger man probably during the 1973-74 season as the scoreboard moved to in front of the South Stand which was under construction. We had drawn 1-1 at home to QPR but many fans in the BLUT waited to find out if Wendy had conceded any more than 6. It was raining at the time and the man in charge of the scoreboard was wearing a kagoul with hood over his head. He was holding 6 and 2 together towards the BLUT and then doing a sign moving his forefinger into an 8 direction. We all laughed!

http://www.mfc.co.uk/news/article/200474-boro-8-sheffield-wednesday-0-1744338.aspx

Brilliant. I remember this really clearly but probably hadn't thought about it for 35 years or so.

Great memory :)

Standing, on the kop

The surges when we scored that meant you'd end up 60 yards away from your mates, after going mental

Like Fulwood Blade I'd forgotten about the "bring on the champions" chant that Cheets mentioned :)

The vivid green of the grass on a night match under the floodlights as you got to the top of the gangway and had your first glimpse of the pitch

Sliding tackles that crunch the oppo forward as well. Ball first, of course.

Thumping headed goals from a decent cross from out wide. Made by a winger out foxing and beating his man

On a slightly different tack - what I don't miss is the "diamond" of earth that perported to be a football pitch that we seemed to get in April.

To look at the pitch now and remember what it sued to be like back end of the season - at least we have made some progress!

UTB

What do I miss most at BDTBL?

John Harris, Tony Curry, Alan Woodward, Keith Eddy, Billy Dearden, Eddie Colquhoun, Len Badger, Ted Hensley......................etc, and the feeling of total optimism that we would beat anyone who came to play us.

50 odd years ago I was a regular ball boy at the lane covering the cricket pitch.

My memories are the smell of old fashioned muscle rub liniment oils in the dressing room and on the pitch.

Also the smell of fags in both the home and away dressing rooms . The John Street tunnel small white dug outs which held about 4 to 5 people , with these days needing to hold a management team and subs of 20 people.

Simple red and white kit , thick cotton shirts.

50 odd years ago I was a regular ball boy at the lane covering the cricket pitch.

My memories are the smell of old fashioned muscle rub liniment oils in the dressing room and on the pitch.

Also the smell of fags in both the home and away dressing rooms . The John Street tunnel small white dug outs which held about 4 to 5 people , with these days needing to hold a management team and subs of 20 people.

Simple red and white kit , thick cotton shirts.

And the great big shirt badge.

The stripes were proper, clear red and white stripes, unbroken by any advertising logos.

Remember that band that did some songs about Sheffield United that they used to play at half time? I can remember 2. One of them just went "Sheffield United to the top of the league" over and over in the cheesiest Bryan Adams style voice. The other one had a chorus that went:

"Well I don't like Mondays,
But I can't stand Wednesday
(Lyrics here I have forgotten)
But here at Sheffield 2,
Where all we want to do,
Is back the Blades and see the Owls go down."

The nice old lady who ran the sports kiosk outside the ground. Then promoted to the newly built sports shop.

Mrs Sprintall.

Always used to save the programmes from the away games.
She was an absolute diamond.
Proper old school Sheffield lady.

Remember that band that did some songs about Sheffield United that they used to play at half time? I can remember 2. One of them just went "Sheffield United to the top of the league" over and over in the cheesiest Bryan Adams style voice. The other one had a chorus that went:

"Well I don't like Mondays,
But I can't stand Wednesday
(Lyrics here I have forgotten)
But here at Sheffield 2,
Where all we want to do,
Is back the Blades and see the Owls go down."
We released it as a 2-track single prior to the 1997 play-off final. It was called 'Blades Singalong' or something and was by Max Patrick.

I miss the red and white sign on the roof of the John Street Stand that said something like "Welcome to Bramall Lane, home of Sheffield United FC" although I think it changed over the years. Did it used to say 'SHEFFIELD UNITED' on the rear of the Bramall Lane stand when I was a kid or have I imagined that?

I miss looking at players and not thinking "god you're so wank it's unreal"

After match Red lion, Lansdowne, Hermitage, Moorfoot Tav, backstreets to avoid rozzers, maybe Domino, split up either side of West Street so Red Deer and Bath Hotel then 'arrive' at Mail Coach or Hallamshire....

To 'meet' some Bacon...

Know what I mean??

The first glimpse of the five floodlights as you went down Chesterfield Road and the road bent round towards Meersbrook.

The chanting gradually getting louder on the Kop as you approached kick-off. Booing the away side on followed by "Bring on the champions!"
then the ball boys running out and Ilkley moor bah tat. sob

then the ball boys running out and Ilkley moor bah tat. sob
Was just talking abart that t'other day, since Ken Jnr was out at Ilkley for some 5 a side footy. Brought back the memry. Although Ken Jnr has never heard the bloody song.

Bri & Irene's
Good fisherman was Brian, remember seeing is name in the green un regularly for it, think they had some kind of league table of fishermen. Went with him and my old man a few times when I was a nipper, well before he and Irene had the shop. Worked in the steelworks on the hammers with me old man before that I think, not sure. Oh and Irene was a diamond of a woman.

As an addition to the "Earliest Memories" thread.

What, when you look back on supporting SUFC, what do you miss the most about our beautiful home?

The "proper" floodlights, in the corners and if I recall, the centre one which was above the old John Street side.
Watching them flicker into life, under the dark rainy skies....

The smell of pipe tobacco as I walked up to the BLUT .. Row G...

Two simplistic memories that will live with me forever.

The white wall on the kop with the best view in the ground by a mile.
Klix spearmint
Bovril crisps
The old shop on the corner of Shoreham street and John street
Being able to stand at the bottom of the old John street stand near away fans
Getting in for 50p as a junior Blade (1981)

Mrs Sprintall.

Always used to save the programmes from the away games.
She was an absolute diamond.
Proper old school Sheffield lady.

Spoke to her when new sports shop opened.
New innovation for her. Dont think she liked it.
Such a lovely person as you say . I had forgotten myself until your reminder that i used to reserve away programmes with her.
Nothing was too much trouble.

Passion, fight, grit, determination.... Seeing the team scrap for everything, even when it's not their day. We just seem to fall away all too often.

Watching the other results coming in 'live' on the videprinter on Grandstand or World Of Sport...I lived so close to BDTBL that I'd be home 2 minutes after final whistle.

Back
Top Bottom