What Do You Miss The Most At BDTBL?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

The big trench through the middle of the Kop and the wall in the corner, John Street side. Great view leaning on that white wall.
Used to lean on that white wall with my dad for years. He stopped going when it was removed and sadly died soon after

Oh how the concept of hero has been defaced. No one who behaved like he did when scoring for Donny at the lane can be a hero. Plus he went on a 1 goal in 13 games run this season.
Good as it gets at the moment mukka

I know I've said this before but fuck it .
The train in from Manchester , leaving the tunnel , and seeing Abbeydale, the outdoor swimming pool I went in as a chabby , slowing down and seeing Mecca with those floodlights , now long gone , heading into Heeley with that massive Arnold Laver yard that went on for miles , knowing that after the silver blades ice rink , you where almost home .
Meeting Bunny , Slater , Dodger ( r.i.p ) , Spinner , and a few others outside the Howard , up to the Bell down to London road and the Pheasant , after the game out to S19 , to martins gaff , a night on the rip , game of footie on Sunday on Norfolk comp football pitches , then the sinking feeling of leaving my mates for the trip back to Dublin , with all those sites in reverse , knowing it'll be 2 weeks before you meet your mates again , when I bring my son " home " I get the same feelings , and the same memories come flooding back , I miss Sheffield , United , and some of my mates since long gone .
But I'll always be a Blade.
UTB.

My spot was also at the trench , at one of the fences which separated the Kop .
Me , Kev , Mart , Steg , and Hodgey , all occupied that spot at one time or another .

Thats what memories are made of.Trev, Steve, Billy & Coops plus me and two others.

Drinking ale whilst watching the match.

Seeing Wards on the club shirt.

Need it even more nowadays and we should get a lawful exemption to be able to take it pitch side.

Used to lean on that white wall with my dad for years. He stopped going when it was removed and sadly died soon after

Which years? I stood there with my mother for the big cup games 1958-61 (57000 all-ticket matches, Norwich, Burnley, SWFC). Usually first there from when the gates opened, pack-up, sweets, flask. Used to love watching the ground fill up and the swaying during the game on the kop in big contrast to the John Street stand to the right. Still remember the Norwich song "On the ball City". Can still see Pointer scoring Burnley's winner. Can still see Peter Swan's celebration as he ran off the pitch at full time.- all from that wall.

I know I've said this before but fuck it .
The train in from Manchester , leaving the tunnel , and seeing Abbeydale, the outdoor swimming pool I went in as a chabby , slowing down and seeing Mecca with those floodlights , now long gone , heading into Heeley with that massive Arnold Laver yard that went on for miles , knowing that after the silver blades ice rink , you where almost home .
Meeting Bunny , Slater , Dodger ( r.i.p ) , Spinner , and a few others outside the Howard , up to the Bell down to London road and the Pheasant , after the game out to S19 , to martins gaff , a night on the rip , game of footie on Sunday on Norfolk comp football pitches , then the sinking feeling of leaving my mates for the trip back to Dublin , with all those sites in reverse , knowing it'll be 2 weeks before you meet your mates again , when I bring my son " home " I get the same feelings , and the same memories come flooding back , I miss Sheffield , United , and some of my mates since long gone .
But I'll always be a Blade.
UTB.

You sentimental old fool Beeffy!!

I remember as a kid watching the crowd at night matches in the stands opposite, whether it was the Kop or Bramall Lane end, lighting up fags, it was constant, all match, another flicker of light, I used to try and guess where the next light-up would be, what a sad little fucker I was ...

Catching the 42 or 53 on Shoreham st after the game and listening to all the old moaners slagging the lads off all the way to Batemoor ,then warming up at my Nans watching Basil Brush and the Pink Panther ,before going to play subbuteo when the generation game came on.

Love all the boozing haunts these day Lion, Cremone, Crown, Copthorne, Box 5
But I miss the Landsdowne pre match some top lads graced that boozer

Being allowed to smoke in the stadium! Used to love chain smoking benson's silver while standing on the terraces! Until it got banned and having to wait until half time for a fag!

I have a vague recollection of Wednesday getting a tonking one week and the scoreboard bloke sauntered over to flip the 5 to a 6 or something and as he walked across it was accompanied by a ground-swelling "OooooooooooooooooOOOOOOOOH!" followed by a "Waaaaaay!" as he flipped it, then did a sort of moonwalk back to his station :D

I miss standing at the top of the Kop. I was only about 12 or 13 when I first started standing up there and would regularly get knocked over when we scored. There was always someone on hand to help me up

Without Googling I'd say this was Middlesborough 8-0?

Come to think of it: Did he run out of numbers and have to put up a 6+2? We all thought they were getting back in it from 6-0 down and he gesticulated that no it's 6 and 2. Took a while to work out what was going on.

(Silent Blade does your encyclopaedia have a footnote for Wendy's humiliations?)

Not thought about this for decades.

Excitement.

Having a manager and players that wanted it as much as the fans.

Standing at the back of the kop kicking the corrugated sheeting when we won a corner. Crowd surging when we scored. The club shop on the corner of John Street and Shoreham Street. Walking back up the moor and crowding around the Electrical shop (Wigfalls?, Rumbelows?) watching the final scores come in on the display tv.
Things I don't miss;
Ripping out the wrong bloody season ticket token and trying to keep it safe.
Standing in 2" of piss in the toilets.

Standing at the back of the kop kicking the corrugated sheeting when we won a corner. Crowd surging when we scored. The club shop on the corner of John Street and Shoreham Street. Walking back up the moor and crowding around the Electrical shop (Wigfalls?, Rumbelows?) watching the final scores come in on the display tv.
Things I don't miss;
Ripping out the wrong bloody season ticket token and trying to keep it safe.
Standing in 2" of piss in the toilets.

Wasn't it half way down John Street SB?

The attack attack attack chant.

The Old Social club.

Come to think of it: Did he run out of numbers and have to put up a 6+2? We all thought they were getting back in it from 6-0 down and he gesticulated that no it's 6 and 2. Took a while to work out what was going on.

(Silent Blade does your encyclopaedia have a footnote for Wendy's humiliations?)

Not thought about this for decades.
I think that was before I started going. 74 I think

The old season ticket books with numbers for league matches and letters for cup games in the back. The chaos when the club decided to mix up the game numbers to stop people giving their tickets away to mates when they couldn't make the game. As the season progressed you had a book of mixed up numbers and was never sure if you'd screwed up somewhere.

Pontins league matches (the reserves) more football during the week free to season ticket holders.

Cop surges for me too. They could be terrifying, but at 17 they were fabulous. Not dissimilar to the leadmill dancefloor at midnight.
Last one to clobber a hippy buys the doughnuts...

Police_charging_in_Pitlake,_Croydon,_during_2011_riots.jpg

Wasn't it half way down John Street SB?

The attack attack attack chant.

The Old Social club.

There could well have been but I distinctly remember one on the corner. I used to go in and buy a programme of a recent away match if they had any.
Loved the attack, attack, attack!! Chant
Heard it murmured this season but maybe the younger generation aren't as familiar?
How we've needed it though

That's exactly how it was - he held up the '6' and the '2' and indicated that they were the combined score. Middlesbrough 8 Wendy 0.

Boxing Day home matches with the Sally Army band and the whiff of satsumas and Manikin cigars on the kop.

Going in the 'shop' halfway along John Street for old programmes. (actually, it was the living room of a terraced house but things were simpler back then...)

Going into the double-arched 'booking office' in Pond Street to book a seat on a coach for the next away game.

If the away game was too far away, going to the Central League (reserve) game where a combination of the 'scoreboard bloke' and somebody nearby with a trannie (no, you know what I mean...) would ensure you were more or less up to date with United's score.

Even I'm not old enough to remember lines of buses outside the ground with 'football special' on the board. I've seen them on t'internet. Nowadays, buses don't bother running much after nine.

624bc771eaa0c4d8850cd249d86a39e9.jpg

Night matches where you'd wander up to High Street for a few bevvies before heading off home.

The uniformed inspector in High Street who used to blow a whistle when the last buses were about to leave.

Meeting up with the Wendy boys on the 'gallery' in Pond Street.

Happy days? Not really.

Love all the boozing haunts these day Lion, Cremone, Crown, Copthorne, Box 5
But I miss the Landsdowne pre match some top lads graced that boozer
The Lanny and the Royal Oak were mine and my mates local for years ,7 days a week. You could go in on your own anytime and always know someone. Miss it like owt.

Back
Top Bottom