Things you wont miss about the Premier League

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Most have picked the ones I would've said so instead the things I'm most looking forward to about not being in the Premier league.

Colin Murray loving us on quest again.
Daniel Mann commentary on every sky match we're on (should have Tyler's job by now but don't tell Sky)
Full stand allocations for away matches

I think plastic fans is a bit of a myth with Sheffield United. I'd call them more "intermittently re-engaged' I think a lot of people have a take it or leave it attitude depending on the level played at, and there's not too much wrong with that.

The way we tried to play counter attacking football, without the errrm...counter attacking.

Might be in the minority here but I refuse to accept the team we have can't compete. There may have been additions and losses but last season proves we can compete.
The thing is though we haven’t really competed this season.
It might “fine margins” but the writing was surely on the wall last season?
If you look at the stats for last season: goals scored, goals conceded, areas and percentage of possession, etc. The problems were had then were not properly addressed for this season.
Obviously we have suffered with so many injuries but not strengthening in the areas that mattered has left us with serious problems once our remarkable defence was no longer available.

Don't get me wrong, it was a fantastic experience getting here and most of last season was pretty special too. This season is best forgotten for so many reasons and not all of them football related of course. However, I wont be too sad to get out of the Premier League.

As a player, manager and certainly club owner you want to be in this League because you are operating at the elite level and because there are millions of pounds to be earned. As a supporter I think the biggest differences are that BDTBL is full and we can tell our mates of rival clubs that we play in the top league and have star studded names at the Lane. Are there other benefits of being a supporter? And we see those PL 'superstars' every week (every day) through the saturation cover on TV.

Accepting that we are relegated what things will you not miss about the Premier League? Here are a few of my own (in no particular order):

Plastic fans
Entitled opposition fans
Leicester City (Vardy; we always lose; arrogant supporters)
Kick off times and days to suit SKY
VAR
The struggle for away day tickets
Mark Lawrenson
Ref bias to the big 6

Next season can't come quick enough, whoever the Manager is and whatever 11 players we have on the pitch. And hopefully a few pints in the pub before and after too!

UTB⚔️
Nothing left to say you’ve said everything ⚔️

If this no relegation thing goes ahead and becomes a one off 23 team Premier League season next year then we better get used to all these things 😂

thursday night matches followed by sunday lunch games
being called plucky
the term 2nd season syndrome, when its down to injuries to key players
interminable pre match press conferences telling people sheffield united wok hard so will be a danger

VAR.

Interesting that pretty much everyone has said that in this thread. Every player I've ever heard speak about it also thinks the same. Every pundit also thinks the same. Every manager also thinks the same.

Why the fuck have we got it?

Mike Dean, Jonathon Moss, Paul Teirney, Chris Kavanagh, Darren Cann
VAR
Managers of top 6 clubs whinging about playing too many matches
VAR
Lack of level playing field. Knowing that for certain games you are going to defend, defend and lose.
VAR
Endless minutes of pointless, analysis and punditry between games on MOTD
VAR
Only 38 games a season
VAR
Never being able to get a cheap flight over because the kick off day/time becomes a lottery
VAR
Burnley
VAR

I just miss the 80s
Getting on football special
Walking to an away ground trying to spot the
floodlights
Turnstiles with a bloke in them
standing up
Wagon wheels
The smell of alcohol and tobacco in the air
Bog rolls getting chucked down from back
Getting squashed on the crash barrier
Tackles
Mullets
Tashes
Tight shorts
Socks under the knee cap
Tuesdays and Saturdays
Half time draws
Marching bands
The old lad putting scores up at half time
Waiting outside newsagents for greenun at 6 oclock
Frank bough & Dickie Davies8
Sportsnight
Midweeksports special...........
Better times im sure you will agree

Losing every week.
This is the only thing for me. Generally, I really enjoyed it before the great pandemic meant I couldn't go in person and losing every week is shit no matter what league you are in.

All the other crap stuff in the OP hasn't really bothered me at all, VAR is a bit shit, but nothing to get all fixated on and all the other stuff is part of the fun, turning over Arsenal, Spurs, Chelsea etc has been great

Being in a league where -

-An even playing field means you've got Deko.
-you don't build a team you buy it..
-Cheats do prosper........ :tumbleweed:

Sheffield United in Premier league, was like the naffest horror film ever. Like a bunch of naive teenagers, we took a flash light and a packed lunch, into a horror house full of chainsaw wielding psychopaths...This season we made every cliched mistake in the book, and were simply lambs to the slaughter to our merciless opposition.

VAR. I want to be in the top flight but VAR is killing me. I just want to celebrate when the ball hits the back of the net, maybe a quick glance to the linesman, rather than immediately think about what might have been wrong that's getting reviewed.

Won't miss the bellend pundits and ex pros who think you can't tackle properly anymore -you know the type with physical contact where you get man and ball and everybody in the ground enjoys apart from the twats on tv talking bollocks. Strange how all football has the same rules and every other league and all through the football pyramid tackles like this are standard and encouraged...maybe its something to do with the poncy diving cheating weak as piss fairies who reside in the "prem". Arsenal tomorrow then:rolleyes::rolleyes:

It's not been an issue for the past year obviously, but before that waiting what seemed like three weeks between every home match.

For me the thing that really irks me is the pure unadulterated greed, it is inerrant all through the league one thing Covid has shown and that is how much fans are being ripped off. In addition I hate the kick off times and bloody International breaks, oh for the days of 3pm kick offs Saturday and 7:30pm kick offs Tuesday.

My biggest hate is the racism that is rife in the game people slagging off players because of their colour there is no need, and these people should be named and shamed, sadly though it is not just confined to the PL.

VAR. I want to be in the top flight but VAR is killing me. I just want to celebrate when the ball hits the back of the net, maybe a quick glance to the linesman, rather than immediately think about what might have been wrong that's getting reviewed.
VAR at it again ruining the man City - Leeds game, red card for a strong challenge when the original yellow was fine. City player back on his feet, I can't wait to watch non VAR games next season.

For me the thing that really irks me is the pure unadulterated greed, it is inerrant all through the league one thing Covid has shown and that is how much fans are being ripped off. In addition I hate the kick off times and bloody International breaks, oh for the days of 3pm kick offs Saturday and 7:30pm kick offs Tuesday.

My biggest hate is the racism that is rife in the game people slagging off players because of their colour there is no need, and these people should be named and shamed, sadly though it is not just confined to the PL.
Totally agree with all this mate! On the racism stuff I'm a bit worried that the keyboard warrior types might rear their heads in the stands when we're allowed back, putting things back 30 years and causing loads of grief. Hopefully this won't happen because these people aren't very brave.
On the money stuff, the PL was founded to make money. There's no other reason for it's existence. There's always been a money element in football, but outside Manure, there weren't "global" fans in the sense there are now. People supported their local club, or a club to which they had some sentimental attachment (my mate Ed is a Wolves fan - he's from Cheshire, has lived in Sheffield 40odd years, but his dad was from Wolverhampton, so...), and I get that. I still believe that the emotional/local attachment is really important to fans, but less so in the PL, where (in normal times) people paying to watch actually in the ground is a tiny percentage of income. In the EFL, the vast majority of clubs can't depend on Sky etc for income, and I think there is less greed (possibly because there's less money), and fans still have the emotional/local attachment. It's not all about winning and money because it can't be if you're a fan of Lincoln City, Peterborough, Walsall and any other of the 70odd clubs who aren't "global ". I'm old and daft enough to think that this is more "proper football " than some of the crap that happens in the PL.

TalkSPORT and other radio stations that have kept saying BOTTOM OF THE TABLE Sheffield United nearly all season.
All been well next season it will be TOP OF THE TABLE Sheffield United instead

Back
Top Bottom