VAR Solution for VAR

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

players being tracked with their sports bras, there could be a chip in the ball and on players bras where a computer can identify the last defender and who is closest to him? At the point a ball is struck the computer would know if someone had run past the defender at that very moment based on everyone's position on the pitch. The only limitation on this is that the chip would be on someone's chest, so if their leg, head, arm whatever passed the last defender then it wouldn't go off. But to that effect everyone then has the same rule as it would only go off for offside in the exact same circumstances for every player for every team.
But we would still be relying on someone turning it on, which we know doesn't always happen!

Obviously offside is needed, to prevent bog-lining etc.
If we must keep VAR, just make the line they use thicker, so they aren't looking for a toe being offside.
You get the benefit of the concept of offside, without the stupid tight decisions.

If you scrapped VAR offside rulings then linesmen would have to actually learn the rules. It would take years as they seem to have become clueless tossers when it comes to raising their flags.

The 30 yard or similar offside just adds another layer of complexity. The VAR now has to micro judge whether the player was over the 30 yard line AND micro judge whether the player was "in front" of the last defender.
No difference to the current situation where they have to judge whether they were over the halfway line.Just a different line, albeit nearer the goal.

Reactions: Dkc
Scrap offsides entirely. Some beautiful goals are scored and ruled out by offsides. Fans can't celebrate in this league due to the fear of it being ruled out for offside.

I want games to be incredibly high scoring and entertaining and if that means removing the offside rule and the controversy of VAR then I am absolutely for it. What actually is the benefit of having the offside rule anyway? To increase the chance of boring 0-0 games?

Terrible idea....means skill and tactics are irrelevant. Match would be like "jumpers for goalposts kick abouts in Concord Park".
Football would become like basketball matches with scores like 9-6, wouldn't be worth celebrating a goal, you'd be knackered ha ha.

The real solution to offside decisions is to put transmitter chips inside the ball, inside boots and/ or inside the front (neck area) of every shirt.
Then a VAR computer can track every single player and the ball and will instantly know (with 1 second) if a pass is onside or offside.
EDIT: Just seen something similar in an earlier post.

Means offsides become like goal line technology and we all know how perfect goal line technology is (ignoring the Villa away ghost goal).

US football matches had a 35 yard offside line in the 1970s and Scotland did this for Dryborough Cup matches in the 1970s too

I'd have the 18 yard lines at each end of the pitch extended to their respective touchlines as the offside area.

Makes it very unsafe to play the offside trap IMO, as by then, the play is too far advanced up the pitch to risk it

No offsides but you can only enter the 18 yard box once the ball is in the attacking half.

Probably a terrible idea tbh. Keep offsides, just scrap VAR. There was as much controversy before as there is now, we just had someone visible to berate for the decisions.

No offsides but you can only enter the 18 yard box once the ball is in the attacking half.

Probably a terrible idea tbh. Keep offsides, just scrap VAR. There was as much controversy before as there is now, we just had someone visible to berate for the decisions.
I very much stand to be corrected on this one. But, it is my understanding there is no offside in Gaelic Football. But, an attacking player can't enter the goal area thingy until the ball has. That would be akin in football to an attacker can't enter the penalty area until the ball has.

The elephant in the room is ... Sheffield United were able to sign Gustavo Hamer because of VAR. VAR helps keep Sheffield United financially viable.

A lot of football income is generated by TV subscriptions and TV advertising and other media rights.

That money, that income, from Worldwide sources is buying DRAMA, is buying CONTROVERSY. Contentious decisions, endless debate, VAR adds to the DRAMA. And increases subscriptions and advertising. Increases income.

VAR (and VAR mistakes) make money for football clubs such as Sheffield United.
Are you sure the elephant is not pink ?

Simple really, the whole point of VAR was to rectify "clear and obvious" mistakes wasn't it?

If it takes more than 5 seconds to do a check, then it isn't clear and obvious and the actions on the pitch stand.

There's been that many different iterations of "offside" that I lose track of what we've had or when a certain iteration was. But, I'd like to go back to whenever the rule "the whole body" must be past the last defender. If there is a rule in place for anything in the game then there will always be an issue, controversy or someone trying to exploit it to gain an advantage, without fail.

I'd also like the "clear and obvious" rule used, with a 5-10 second timeframe. If it's not obvious to them, within that time, the goal stands. Also, I'd be in favour of the offside line only being used on the planted foot, not knees, chest, elbows, head etc.

I'd also like the "clear and obvious" rule used, with a 5-10 second timeframe. If it's not obvious to them, within that time, the goal stands. Also, I'd be in favour of the offside line only being used on the planted foot, not knees, chest, elbows, head etc.
Wouldn't you just be able to jump up in the air to make yourself onside though? 😊

Solution?

Don’t let the mentally deficient or corrupt loose in the VAR studio.
Took almost 8 hours for this suggestion to pop up (again); I'd also add applying the rules fairly so for example when Maddison (or anybody else) collapses in the box it's at the least a warning and a second attempt is a booking, third? Get off you're ruining the game.
Toes and foreheads offside, stop making these calls make it at least a leg or the majority of the head.
Handball was it intentional no, did that team still gain an advantage yes, give it. eg Egan falling.
Why is it so simple for somebody with no refereeing experience to come up with the solution?

This ball is is not out of play apparently… just for clarification we are talking about the yellow ball here at the bottom left, the one that is out of play.. apparently its not…

IMG_7471.png

No it isn’t out imho. Got to be the whole of the ball. It’s why every time someone takes a corner it looks like the ball isn’t in the quadrant.

This ball is is not out of play apparently… just for clarification we are talking about the yellow ball here at the bottom left, the one that is out of play.. apparently its not…

View attachment 174086

To be fair, based on that image it doesn’t look out of play. The bit of the ball that’s touching the ground is, granted.

Imo offside should be just that! No ‘not interfering‘ with play etc our friend (ha ha) Hawkeye should be able to work out when a player is offside immediately, I’d also have all decisions monitor checked by the ref he should be in charge.

There should be a 30 second time limit on the VAR replays for offside and 60 seconds for handball and penalties. If it's clear and obvious then they'll spot it in that time. If they don't then it can't have been obvious and the original decision stands.

The whole clear and obvious thing is the biggest problem. Take Lundstram's offside. It took them 10 minutes to rule that his big toe was offside. This was not clear and obvious so the benefit of doubt should have been given and the goal stood. But because they spotted that it was offside, even though it clearly wasn't obvious, they had to rule it out. The whole phrase of clear and obvious undermines the whole processes integrity.

What gets on my goat is when they take ages to view a penalty claim, deem there to be no contact and play continues. You just took 5 minutes to come to the conclusion that there was no contact and the attacker dived. Does the attacker get booked for diving after the VAR review? Nope. Pathetic. Cheats prosper and VAR protects them as it being a penalty or not is all the "expert" rules analysts can think of.

Back
Top Bottom