VAR Solution for VAR

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Lmaobob

Wind Up Merchant
Reaction score
Scrap offsides entirely. Some beautiful goals are scored and ruled out by offsides. Fans can't celebrate in this league due to the fear of it being ruled out for offside.

I want games to be incredibly high scoring and entertaining and if that means removing the offside rule and the controversy of VAR then I am absolutely for it. What actually is the benefit of having the offside rule anyway? To increase the chance of boring 0-0 games?

Scrap offsides entirely. Some beautiful goals are scored and ruled out by offsides. Fans can't celebrate in this league due to the fear of it being ruled out for offside.

I want games to be incredibly high scoring and entertaining and if that means removing the offside rule and the controversy of VAR then I am absolutely for it. What actually is the benefit of having the offside rule anyway? To increase the chance of boring 0-0 games?
I'm sure this is in good humour. But it's one of the worst ideas I've seen since the Tory conference, yesterday.

Scrap offsides by VAR? Onboard.

Entirely? No

Said this 30 years ago.

Would stretch the game. Which could be a great positive as play is generally condensed into a 30 / 40 metre square. Also eliminates the VAR nonsense 👍.

That said, do we want bog liners / shit liners simply loitering for tap ins like you used to get down the local park ?

Pros and cons. I’m not so sure !!!

UTB

I’ve got a better idea and one that will work
Scrap VAR

I think goal disallowed because player stood in the wrong place offside has run its course. And I'd prefer to see the game progress without it. VAR has illustrated just what a ludicrous rule it is.

I don't buy this "prevents shit lining" argument. The disputed "goal" in the Spurs v Liverpool game could hardly be described as shit lining.

I think goal disallowed because player stood in the wrong place offside has run its course. And I'd prefer to see the game progress without it. VAR has illustrated just what a ludicrous rule it is.

I don't buy this "prevents shit lining" argument. The disputed "goal" in the Spurs v Liverpool game could hardly be described as shit lining.
Look back and see why they introduced it, you may change your mind.

Thanks
I've read the arguments time and time again, over many years. Stood in the wrong place offside is no longer fit for purpose. It was introduced at a time when the changes which have happened in the modern game today could not have been imagined. It's like one of those laws such as only freemen of Sheffield can drive sheep over Lady's Bridge. A rule invented in a different age, to address an issue from that age, which no longer fits the modern age.

But ... please post your best link to the argument for introducing the offside rule. I always like to learn, and I may not have seen the arguments you refer to.

If standing in the wrong place offside is somehow against football, or unfair, or unsporting, or spoiling the game in some way. Then, players should be booked for persistent offside. Players who are a long way offside should be red carded. That's how we deal with other offences in football.

But, because standing in the wrong place offside is such a ludicrous rule in the first place, no one is ever booked for "cheating" in that way.

If standing in the wrong place offside is somehow against football, or unfair, or unsporting, or spoiling the game in some way. Then, players should be booked for persistent offside. Players who are a long way offside should be red carded. That's how we deal with other offences in football.

But, because standing in the wrong place offside is such a ludicrous rule in the first place, no one is ever booked for "cheating" in that way.
Of course much has changed but the basic concept of avoiding teams stretched the length of the pitch is still relevant.
I agree that the current law is to an extent outdated mainly by the speed of play, but I don't think most fans would want to see the results of not having any offside.
Like so much in football (as well as life in general) it will always be a matter of opinion. Personally I would like to see offside only on a 30/35 yard distance from the goaline.

Of course much has changed but the basic concept of avoiding teams stretched the length of the pitch is still relevant.
I agree that the current law is to an extent outdated mainly by the speed of play, but I don't think most fans would want to see the results of not having any offside.
Like so much in football (as well as life in general) it will always be a matter of opinion. Personally I would like to see offside only on a 30/35 yard distance from the goaline.
The 30 yard or similar offside just adds another layer of complexity. The VAR now has to micro judge whether the player was over the 30 yard line AND micro judge whether the player was "in front" of the last defender.

Maybe they could just go back to basics. None of this active/inactive nonsense or offside because his nostril was ahead of the defender. If the majority of a player is past the last defender then they're offside, if a small part of them is ahead then leave it as it's marginal and therefore not an obvious error.

I can remember when they first brought in the active/inactive rule Thierry Henry brilliantly exploited it. Arsenal had a counter attack and quick break down the right side of the pitch. Henry was to the far left about 20 yards ahead of the player with the ball and last defender. As he was no where near the player with the ball and not interfering with defenders or ready to receive a pass he was deemed inactive despite being 20 yards past the last defender. As soon as the player with the ball got near the eighteen yard box Henry dropped behind him received a pass and put it home. It was 100% legitimate as he only became active when he received the ball and did so in an onside position despite starting 20 yards offside before dropping behind the player who passed to him. It was a moment of pure genuis and highlighted how stupid offside can become by overcomplicating it.

Surely with all of the tech available and players being tracked with their sports bras, there could be a chip in the ball and on players bras where a computer can identify the last defender and who is closest to him? At the point a ball is struck the computer would know if someone had run past the defender at that very moment based on everyone's position on the pitch. The only limitation on this is that the chip would be on someone's chest, so if their leg, head, arm whatever passed the last defender then it wouldn't go off. But to that effect everyone then has the same rule as it would only go off for offside in the exact same circumstances for every player for every team.

Reactions: Dkc
The elephant in the room is ... Sheffield United were able to sign Gustavo Hamer because of VAR. VAR helps keep Sheffield United financially viable.

A lot of football income is generated by TV subscriptions and TV advertising and other media rights.

That money, that income, from Worldwide sources is buying DRAMA, is buying CONTROVERSY. Contentious decisions, endless debate, VAR adds to the DRAMA. And increases subscriptions and advertising. Increases income.

VAR (and VAR mistakes) make money for football clubs such as Sheffield United.

Reactions: Dkc

Not a lot of thought gone into this suggestion one presumes🙈

The elephant in the room is ... Sheffield United were able to sign Gustavo Hamer because of VAR. VAR helps keep Sheffield United financially viable.

A lot of football income is generated by TV subscriptions and TV advertising and other media rights.

That money, that income, from Worldwide sources is buying DRAMA, is buying CONTROVERSY. Contentious decisions, endless debate, VAR adds to the DRAMA. And increases subscriptions and advertising. Increases income.

VAR (and VAR mistakes) make money for football clubs such as Sheffield United.
Right

The one issue (of many) with this idea being that the Premier League's TV rights deal has actually decreased in value since VAR

_100024869_premier_rights-3-nc.png

Back
Top Bottom