Tom Lawrence

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Hallowed Blade on Twitter has jumped the gun. It was 99% done but now it’s off. Direct quote from Lawrence “you can fuck off I’m not wearing Errea” make of that what you will.

Hallowed Blade on Twitter has jumped the gun. It was 99% done but now it’s off. Direct quote from Lawrence “you can fuck off I’m not wearing Errea” make of that what you will.

Lawrence was booked in for the kit launch photos at 8.50.

I don’t get this one if it’s true as it’s a lot of money for someone to sit on the bench, especially someone who’s largely been inconsistent for most of their career at this level.

I for one , would be absolutely delighted if we sign this guy .

Make no mistake , he is a very talented footballer but one who has been playing in difficult circumstances for at least the last 2 years .

I have little doubt that playing in the far more positive atmosphere that we can offer and under a management set up which has shown it’s ability to get the best out of players , he could well turn out to be a player capable of producing top quality and game changing performances on a regular basis .

I don’t get this one if it’s true as it’s a lot of money for someone to sit on the bench, especially someone who’s largely been inconsistent for most of their career at this level.

Why do you think he will sit on the bench Bob?

Surely, if the player, any player, consistently puts the ball in the net, he starts (injuries excepted of course). We don't know he will do that, but then we don't know that he won't either. To say he's a bench player I don't get, especially with the likes of Billy and McBurnies injury woes last season?

Personally, I look at what we already have up front and I'm not convinced that we have the firepower. Yes, we all know Billy's attributes, but he isn't getting any younger. Injuries curtailed McBurnies starts and form for the most part and he managed a grand total of '0' goals last season. Mousset and Burke have gone. Jebbo, yes, but I don't see him yet being our main striker. For me personally, if the club can afford TL and he wants to join us, then we should sign him

I think this is a non starter myself.

He will want a massive signing on fee and big wages.

Expect him to end up at Rangers myself.

I for one really hope this happens , he’s ideal to fill the MGW role and a realistic target who offers us something different to what we have , we need goals and creativity now MGW is gone and I don’t see a much better option tbh ! Now Burke and McG (sadly) are not on the wage bill it could also be a viable proposition ( we will also have been paying for MGW) . We are never happy as a fan base , we miss out on players we moan about offering shit wages . We possibly sign a very good championship player on decent wages , we complain ! Every player is a gamble and has a risk/reward factor . It’s not my money so the wages are irrelevant to me but one thing I am confident in is that the Prince runs a steady ship whether we like it or not do if TL comes , we can afford him ! We need a bit of fairy dust again this season and I for one hope he brings it ! Would I prefer a squad with TL in or out at the beginning of the season ? In without a doubt . Will he be a success if he’s in ? Who knows but he certainly can’t be if he’s not in it !
As ever UTB!!

Last edited:

Surely, if the player, any player, consistently puts the ball in the net, he starts (injuries excepted of course). We don't know he will do that, but then we don't know that he won't either. To say he's a bench player I don't get, especially with the likes of Billy and McBurnies injury woes last season?

Personally, I look at what we already have up front and I'm not convinced that we have the firepower. Yes, we all know Billy's attributes, but he isn't getting any younger. Injuries curtailed McBurnies starts and form for the most part and he managed a grand total of '0' goals last season. Mousset and Burke have gone. Jebbo, yes, but I don't see him yet being our main striker. For me personally, if the club can afford TL and he wants to join us, then we should sign him

He's not a striker. He will be playing in midfield or off a striker if he signs.

Have to admit I'm not sold on this one. Terribly inconsistent, weak and seems to have made a name for scoring a few worldies. Reminds me of Adam Reach in that sense. That said he was excellent on loan at Ipswich a few years back and maybe playing with better players will bring the best out of him.

I'll be surprised if he comes in based on the wages he was on at Derby. If Berge stays he probably won't even be a starter

He's not a striker. He will be playing in midfield or off a striker if he signs.

Have to admit I'm not sold on this one. Terribly inconsistent, weak and seems to have made a name for scoring a few worldies. Reminds me of Adam Reach in that sense. That said he was excellent on loan at Ipswich a few years back and maybe playing with better players will bring the best out of him.

I'll be surprised if he comes in based on the wages he was on at Derby. If Berge stays he probably won't even be a starter

As you say, I had him down as a player positioned just behind the front man or front two

Yes, if Bob is right that he's a bench warmer then it doesn't make sense. On the other hand, we don't know that and Hecky must have his reasons, if rumours are true, for wanting him here

He's a very talented player. If we can develop him into something a bit more consistent we've got one of the best attackers in the league. Alternatively, see Luke Freeman. Still, it's a gamble worth taking imo.

A Derby fan that I know said the same as you

Would not see him as the 1 attacking mid linking to 2 strikers

More as a right winger alongside another link man or deep forward type, maybe Ndiaye

Can’t see it happening if there’s genuine interest from Rangers tbh. Would be fairly happy if he came here but at the same time, wouldn’t be upset if he went elsewhere.

I assume that if there is any truth to this (and I am decidedly NITK and distrustful of anyone who says there are) then it's probably a sign that we're going to play with two attacking midfielders again next season, which makes sense because all our non-Billy Sharp strikers are awful.

I think this would be a pointless signing and waste the little funds we have. If we are signing Doyle who is an attacking midfielder and with Ndiaye also in that area and Berge still here, where does he play?

We need to be looking at a hard nosed defensive midfielder who can get around the pitch and a physical centre forward that can hold the ball up. We are very lightweight in these areas and in a physical league we need to address that. Those two positions are essential for me and would both be starters with Sharp or Brewster playing off the new forward and Fleck being on the bench. Id expect Doyle/Ndiaye to compete for the 10 role, assuming Berge goes.

Find it odd if we have such limited cash we are spending it in a right sided centre back allegedly? Surely Bash will still start? Also I think we should be going in for Keenan Davis. Forest have signed a centre forward and he won't play for Villa. He's right there available seemingly and we should be going all in for him.

On the surface seems a confusing transfer strategy which does not address weaknesses yet but long-time to go yet till end of August.

I think this would be a pointless signing and waste the little funds we have. If we are signing Doyle who is an attacking midfielder and with Ndiaye also in that area and Berge still here, where does he play?

We need to be looking at a hard nosed defensive midfielder who can get around the pitch and a physical centre forward that can hold the ball up. We are very lightweight in these areas and in a physical league we need to address that. Those two positions are essential for me and would both be starters with Sharp or Brewster playing off the new forward and Fleck being on the bench. Id expect Doyle/Ndiaye to compete for the 10 role, assuming Berge goes.

Find it odd if we have such limited cash we are spending it in a right sided centre back allegedly? Surely Bash will still start? Also I think we should be going in for Keenan Davis. Forest have signed a centre forward and he won't play for Villa. He's right there available seemingly and we should be going all in for him.

On the surface seems a confusing transfer strategy which does not address weaknesses yet but long-time to go yet till end of August.
This. He’s exactly what we need. Would make a huge difference to us up top.

I’d have concerns over his attitude if I’m honest unless he’s done a lot of growing up in recent years

Morning B58,

I suppose there’s several reasons I don’t see him as someone who’ll come in and be our automatic starter; firstly he’s never been a big scorer at this level. He never scored over 10 Championship goals in a season and from anecdotal accounts he’s the epitome of inconsistent. Clearly if he comes in and is scoring 1 in 3 he’ll start, I’m just saying there’s nothing in his career so far that would suggest he’s that player.
Now I think if he’s coming he’s more likely to be more Didsy we’re looking to replicate than Billy, so maybe goals isn’t the right yard stick to judge him by? Brewster is the one we need to be scoring, however we have got Ndiaye to fit into the side now, so does Lawrence have the creative numbers in his recent career? Again they’re not what you’d expect to be pushing out a first teamer.
Finally I’m still fully expecting us to look to bring in a AAA quality loan in the MGW position which would again mean Ndiaye pushing Lawrence down the pecking order.

Let’s see how it plays out but I’ve never been massively impressed with Lawrence when I’ve seen him play but if he signs let hope I’m wrong and he’s a diamond in the rough. Still don’t see it though.

Last edited:

When we played our best football of the season, we played with Gibbs-White - Ndiaye - Berge

Berge will go, there's little doubt about that, so that's only one of the three likely to be here at the beginning of next season. It makes sense to me that we'd be looking at more attacking midfield options, especially if Doyle is going to be playing deeper. Obviously we've people coming back from injury (give or take a custodial sentence or two...) so we might change formation but we're still light in that department.

I'm not saying Lawrence himself will be any good, of course.

Back
Top Bottom