Tom Lawrence

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Morning B58,

I suppose there’s several reasons I don’t see him as someone who’ll come in and be our automatic starter; firstly he’s never been a big scorer at this level. He never scored over 10 Championship goals in a season and from anecdotal accounts he’s the epitome of inconsistent. Clearly if he comes in and is scoring 1 in 3 he’ll start, I’m just saying there’s nothing in his career so far that would suggest he’s that player.
Now I think if he’s coming he’s more likely to be more Didsy we’re looking to replicate than Billy, so maybe goals isn’t the right yard stick to judge him by? Brewster is the one we need to be scoring, however we have got Ndiaye to fit into the side now, so does Lawrence have the creative numbers in his recent career? Again they’re not what you’d expect to be pushing out a first teamer.
Finally I’m still fully expecting us to look to bring in a AAA quality loan in the MGW position which would again mean Ndiaye pushing Lawrence down the pecking order.

Let’s see how it plays out but I’ve never been massively impressed with Lawrence when I’ve seen him play but if he signs let hope I’m wrong and he’s a diamond in the rough. Still don’t see it though.
I can't disagree with that Bob

I always had him down as a striker, but as you and Roy say, he's probably more of a Didzy type

I'm going to back Hecky and the backroom staffs judgement, as he/they have earned the right to that. Free scoring midfielders are getting like rocking horse shit, so perhaps he could compliment the strikers, if we can get him firing on all cylinders.

I think this would be a pointless signing and waste the little funds we have. If we are signing Doyle who is an attacking midfielder and with Ndiaye also in that area and Berge still here, where does he play?

We need to be looking at a hard nosed defensive midfielder who can get around the pitch and a physical centre forward that can hold the ball up. We are very lightweight in these areas and in a physical league we need to address that. Those two positions are essential for me and would both be starters with Sharp or Brewster playing off the new forward and Fleck being on the bench. Id expect Doyle/Ndiaye to compete for the 10 role, assuming Berge goes.

Find it odd if we have such limited cash we are spending it in a right sided centre back allegedly? Surely Bash will still start? Also I think we should be going in for Keenan Davis. Forest have signed a centre forward and he won't play for Villa. He's right there available seemingly and we should be going all in for him.

On the surface seems a confusing transfer strategy which does not address weaknesses yet but long-time to go yet till end of August.
On the Anel point, you say Bash will start and you could be right in the short term. We’ve actively been looking for a replacement, I just don’t think we expected to find the calibre of player so soon.

As much as I think we could spend the funds elsewhere, I think Ahmedhodzic is a player we can’t really miss out on picking up.

I think this would be a pointless signing and waste the little funds we have. If we are signing Doyle who is an attacking midfielder and with Ndiaye also in that area and Berge still here, where does he play?

We need to be looking at a hard nosed defensive midfielder who can get around the pitch and a physical centre forward that can hold the ball up. We are very lightweight in these areas and in a physical league we need to address that. Those two positions are essential for me and would both be starters with Sharp or Brewster playing off the new forward and Fleck being on the bench. Id expect Doyle/Ndiaye to compete for the 10 role, assuming Berge goes.

Find it odd if we have such limited cash we are spending it in a right sided centre back allegedly? Surely Bash will still start? Also I think we should be going in for Keenan Davis. Forest have signed a centre forward and he won't play for Villa. He's right there available seemingly and we should be going all in for him.

On the surface seems a confusing transfer strategy which does not address weaknesses yet but long-time to go yet till end of August.
I'm not quite sure what our strategy is, unless we're changing formation.

We were playing:

MGW - Ndiaye
-----Berge

out of necessity.

but presumably when Brewster is fit he'll start upfront. He'll need a striker next to him though as he can't do the MGW/Sharp hold-up play.

That would mean only one sport in AMC for Berge (will likely go, but if we're holding out for an amount that is not guaranteed), Doyle (if we sign him he will be first choice) and Ndiaye (I'm pretty sure if he's benched all season he'll ask to leave).

Then we have Fleck, Norwood Coulibaly and Osborn for the CM spots. None of those are good enough defensively, over a season.

Lawrence is a selfish and lazy player. When he puts his mind to it, he can be a team player, but that is consistently inconsistent. We expect all our players to put a shift in and tackle back. That is not his game and he's pretty bad at it on the rare occasions he tries. I have no idea where he'd possibly fit into the mess above!

On the Anel point, you say Bash will start and you could be right in the short term. We’ve actively been looking for a replacement, I just don’t think we expected to find the calibre of player so soon.

As much as I think we could spend the funds elsewhere, I think Ahmedhodzic is a player we can’t really miss out on picking up.

He or Bash are not going to be happy on the bench though? You don't resign Bash for 2 years to then spend 3 million on his replacement a few weeks later? If he was a young up and comer fair dos who could compete and eventually take over but he's not being signed (I he does) to not play and wait a year or so.

Just think if we are skint it's the wrong use of funds. I'm not sure I know enough about him to say he is a player we can't afford to miss out on. He has had a patchy career where he has never estaushed himself yet. Sadly I don't trust our recruitment either!

He or Bash are not going to be happy on the bench though? You don't resign Bash for 2 years to then spend 3 million on his replacement a few weeks later? If he was a young up and comer fair dos who could compete and eventually take over but he's not being signed (I he does) to not play and wait a year or so.

Just think if we are skint it's the wrong use of funds. I'm not sure I know enough about him to say he is a player we can't afford to miss out on. He has had a patchy career where he has never estaushed himself yet. Sadly I don't trust our recruitment either!

No professional footballer should be happy with being on the bench. It’s ridiculous to think that you shouldn’t sign players who might be better than what you’ve already got because they might not be happy about it. If they don’t like being on the bench it’s up to them to play better and get themselves into the team

Bash isn’t going to play 92 games over the next two seasons though. He’s already started to pick up injuries. If we sign this lad, he’ll get opportunities and if he’s better than Bash, he’ll keep his place. I doubt Bash will sulk, he knows how football works.

We limped into the playoffs with a bunch of injured senior players, relying on youth team players who weren’t ready and recalling youth players on loan who’d have been better staying out on loan. We can’t keep doing that, we need squad depth and that’s not achieved by signing another defender who might be good enough in two year’s time.

We loaned Davies and he was no better than a defender a championship club could sign permanently. On the other hand, there’s little chance of signing someone with MGW’s ability on a permanent so it makes sense to use the loan market to bring in the talent we can’t realistically attract and sign the ‘bread and butter’ players on permanents.

Don’t necessarily disagree but I don’t see how you can look at the injuries we’ve had over the last 2 years.

4/5/6 forwards out injured
2/3 centre backs out
Multiple left and right backs injured at the same time

and conclude it’s wrong to have decent cover there.

We were barely able to field an 11 at points last season and 100% need cover at the back.

Bash might not be guaranteed a first team place after his form towards the end of the season, he was at fault away at Bristol, and again against forest home and away, so unless his form picks up he might find himself starting on the bench.

Ahmedhodzic is being brought in because he’s a young player we can buy relatively cheap with the hope of selling him at a nice profit. Whether he fits perfectly into squad-building plans is maybe not the only consideration—although I think he does, as we need to be looking at Basham’s successor. Bash sticking around for a couple of years but not playing as often is a good thing, for me. What a character to have around the place, helping the younger players. Maybe he’s even considering moving into the coaching side.

Doyle will compete with or replace one of Norwood or Fleck in the two CM positions.

Lawrence would be the MGW replacement. Like others, I have some doubts over his attitude and consistency but I think it’s a statement signing and I’d be excited if we pull it off.

Bash isn’t going to play 92 games over the next two seasons though. He’s already started to pick up injuries. If we sign this lad, he’ll get opportunities and if he’s better than Bash, he’ll keep his place. I doubt Bash will sulk, he knows how football works.

We limped into the playoffs with a bunch of injured senior players, relying on youth team players who weren’t ready and recalling youth players on loan who’d have been better staying out on loan. We can’t keep doing that, we need squad depth and that’s not achieved by signing another defender who might be good enough in two year’s time.

We loaned Davies and he was no better than a defender a championship club could sign permanently. On the other hand, there’s little chance of signing someone with MGW’s ability on a permanent so it makes sense to use the loan market to bring in the talent we can’t realistically attract and sign the ‘bread and butter’ players on permanents.
Not as if the centre halves are overlapping these days. Bash does it occasionally out of habit but if this lad is a decent defender then surely this is the most important thing? He's played at both left and right centre half for what it's worth.

Seems to be a fair bit of assumption that Berge will still be here.

Maybe this is the insurance for when he moves. We would have potentially Billy or Rhian as out and out centre forwards with 2 from N'Diaye, Lawrence and potentially Doyle.

Still a few questions as to where Doyle plays. Pep might see him as a 10 but it will depend on other recruitment. Lawrence is more of a winger. That suggest we're more likely to play 3-4-2-1 than 3-4-1-2.

Let's just see how the rest of the recruitment pans out.

The positive are things are moving and we appear to be going for some of the better players that are available on our budget, whether they gel with us or compare favorably to last year's players is open to question.

Let's see how we are at the end of July and how we intend on lining up.

Sure I’ve read a few reports saying we see Anel as someone who is also able to play the Defensive Midfield role so perhaps him and Bash could both be in the starting lineup?

Bash might not be guaranteed a first team place after his form towards the end of the season, he was at fault away at Bristol, and again against forest home and away, so unless his form picks up he might find himself starting on the bench.
Completely lost Austin for QPRs goal too. I love Bash to pieces but it would be extremely naive to expect him to play 92 games over the next two seasons to the same high standards he has set throughout his career with us. Father time waits for nobody I’m afraid!

I really want Lawrence.
I've just read that we are favourites for him yet we haven't even made an approach yet, how does that work?

We have targeted Doyle and the Bosnian Deadbat otherwise we would not be at the stage we are with the deals.Hecki knows what he's doing so why not leave it closer to the season before any criticism.
Who knows what's in the offing regarding players out.

I don't beleave we would be so keen on them both if there wasn't a way forward.

We have targeted Doyle and the Bosnian Deadbat otherwise we would not be at the stage we are with the deals.Hecki knows what he's doing so why not leave it closer to the season before any criticism.
Who knows what's in the offing regarding players out.

I don't beleave we would be so keen on them both if there wasn't a way forward.
Who here now really wants the Bosnian Deadbat?

Don’t necessarily disagree but I don’t see how you can look at the injuries we’ve had over the last 2 years.

4/5/6 forwards out injured
2/3 centre backs out
Multiple left and right backs injured at the same time

and conclude it’s wrong to have decent cover there.

We were barely able to field an 11 at points last season and 100% need cover at the back.

Of course we need cover. We suffered with injuries but I maintain if we are making one significant cash signing we'd be better using it on areas of higher need - namely central midfield and forward line.

We still will get overrun in midfield unless we address that lack of legs and still will struggle to score the percentage goals without someone to hold the ball up or keep it higher up the field.

Just my opinion. I feel with doubts over Brewsters fitness and McBurnie a dud, relying on Sharp will be fraught with danger. Osula and Jebbo are not ready. Yet. I'd say with 4 going out at the top of the field we need at least 2 strikers.

Surprised there seems to be little in the way of links with out and out strikers thus?

Of course we need cover. We suffered with injuries but I maintain if we are making one significant cash signing we'd be better using it on areas of higher need - namely central midfield and forward line.

We still will get overrun in midfield unless we address that lack of legs and still will struggle to score the percentage goals without someone to hold the ball up or keep it higher up the field.

Just my opinion. I feel with doubts over Brewsters fitness and McBurnie a dud, relying on Sharp will be fraught with danger. Osula and Jebbo are not ready. Yet. I'd say with 4 going out at the top of the field we need at least 2 strikers.

Surprised there seems to be little in the way of links with out and out strikers thus?

I suspect a striker will be a loan rather than a permanent, so maybe we’ve got our eye on one of two that will pop up late (like Davis)

I hope and expect this is just a silly rumour that got out of hand.

We've just got rid of one lazy bad apple out of the squad, so I doubt that Heck or anyone at the club would entertain that sort of profile again.

Gulp.

I hope and expect this is just a silly rumour that got out of hand.

We've just got rid of one lazy bad apple out of the squad, so I doubt that Heck or anyone at the club would entertain that sort of profile again.

Gulp.
We are definitely interested in him. Nathan Hemmingham has said so.

Why is he a lazy bad apple? Do you know him?

He wore the captains armband last season. Can’t be that much of a bad apple.

We are definitely interested in him. Nathan Hemmingham has said so.

Why is he a lazy bad apple? Do you know him?

He wore the captains armband last season. Can’t be that much of a bad apple.
I assume he’s referring to the drink driving saga of a couple of years ago

He’s a good player, but too 1 in 5 for me. Saying that, if he was more consistent we wouldn’t have a chance of getting him and he’d be playing regular PL and not Champ football.

He's arguably just had his best ever season tbf. Maybe he's matured and is ready to properly peak.

I stand by what I said the other day though. Signing Lawrence could be effective if he's one of two or three similar signings to rotate. I wouldn't want to rely on him from what I've seen down the years.

Back
Top Bottom