That "Pen"

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Interesting one isn't it

A few other refs have tweeted it was a penalty due to the foul continuing as the player went into the box, stating Stevens still had contact with Solanke when he slid in.

Colin Murray on Quest said the rules say any foul that carries on into the box is a penalty is a foul also and was very dismissive of any saying it was not a penalty. He says it was correct based on the rules but above suggests possibly otherwise.

I have to say we had a Sharp one the same the other week and a free kick was given not a penalty.

It does seem daft to have such a rule for holding but not for other tackles where the foul carries on. Probably more obviously than today where I am not even certain the contact carried on much after he got in the box but just seems odd to differentiate. You could slide in and foul a player,then carry on bringing down but get away with it if the player finally gets brought down in the box? Yet a grapple or hold treated differently?

Colin Murray is wrong. He has not paid attention to the detail.

I have learnt in life (often to my cost!) that attention to detail is important, whether or not it seems to make sense, be morally right or whatever.

In this particular case, a penalty was awarded by the referee, so in that sense it was a penalty. However, the decision to award that penalty was clearly wrong.

We played in yellow tops and blue shorts, with a mixture of socks as required.

Cutlers (Junior side) morphed into Moreland Juniors mid seventies, in a takeover bid by a rich Rollestone milkman

pommpey
Now you mention it, there were a spate of random pregnancies in the Herdings Park area in the mid-70s…

Why comment if you haven’t seen it?

Because my point isn't isolated to the specific challenge in question? Although, as posted above after I saw the highlights, it's a great example. It's 2021, you simply can't fly in on someone however you want and make a round shape with your hands to the ref afterwards to make your recklessness null and void

Because my point isn't isolated to the specific challenge in question? Although, as posted above after I saw the highlights, it's a great example. It's 2021, you simply can't fly in on someone however you want and make a round shape with your hands to the ref afterwards to make your recklessness null and void
I don’t think anyone can really say it’s not a foul. It’s just not in the box.

So many claiming it was a penalty just don't know the rules of the game. It was a foul at worst the ball had gone Stevens got there first clumsy that he raised his trailing leg exactly what the attacker was looking for make contact and fall inside to box to con a crap ref. If the ref is giving a foul he has to give it where the first contact occurs which is outside the box it doesn't matter a jot if it carries on into the box unless it is shirt pulling or holding. Read the rules.

You can't tackle like that nowadays. He gets the ball but takes the man out completely.

He is high and out of control.

It's a clumsy and xynical foul.

It's just not in the box.

I thought he would be sent off as last man after the award of a free kick so the pen award was incredible.

I’d question whether he was even the last man tbh but that’s not the rule regardless. Stevens can only be sent off if it was a denial of a clear goal scoring opportunity which I don’t think it was. If there’s any argument for a red, it’s probably over whether it was judged to be violent conduct or not.

It would have been interesting if var was allowed in the championship. would the penalty be allowed or disallowed ?.

It would have been interesting if var was allowed in the championship. would the penalty be allowed or disallowed ?.
In that scenario it would have been disallowed and Stevens sent off....assuming that those reviewing it knew the rules.

Having spoken to a qualified referee to get answers on Bournemouth v Sheffield United I have the following
View attachment 122240

View attachment 122244

Reference the injured player (Solanke) taking the penalty, this is allowed, unless it's a blood injury. It's all about disadvantages, if the injured player gets treatment and he's the penalty taker no ref will make him leave the pitch and make another player take the penalty

View attachment 122241

That wording is specifically under the ‘advantage’ section of law 12.

I think it’s irrelevant in this scenario.

What about when Sharp was fouled outside the box last week but that continued into the box. Free kick was given outside the area. They need to make their bloody minds up. If that yesterday was a pen then the game clearly is going down the pan. Whatever next? No heading? .....oh.

Wrong
in that old video, the first challenge was only fractionally outside the line, and slid into the area. Also the defender didn't get the ball at all. Yesterdays was different. The challenge was at least a yard outside of the line and also Stevens got the ball first. He only continued sliding in on the very wet ground. Don't think this was a penalty

in that old video, the first challenge was only fractionally outside the line, and slid into the area. Also the defender didn't get the ball at all. Yesterdays was different. The challenge was at least a yard outside of the line and also Stevens got the ball first. He only continued sliding in on the very wet ground. Don't think this was a penalty
The article also quotes the law and then tries to re interpret the law itself

The article also quotes the law and then tries to re interpret the law itself

I don’t think that law, which is there to cover a very specific scenario where the ref might choose to play advantage, is relevant in this case.

The law is silent on whether fouls (aside from the above) which start outside the box and continue into the box should be penalised with a penalty or free kick. It just covers foul contact inside the box should result in penalty kick.

So the only real question to decide in yesterday scenario is, was there foul contact inside the box?

The referee guessed, it's as simple as that. I was stood in line with the incident and it looked like an excellent tackle outside the area. When the play was stopped me and the people around me all looked at each other and came to the conclusion that the referee had deemed it to be a back pass or (incorrectly) come to the conclusion that it was a foul outside the area. A referee should never guess - particularly when it comes to match changing situations. The first thing I did after the incident was look to the right and the referees position. He was close to the half way line looking through bodies at the incident. The referees job is to be close, at an angle, unobstructed. His poor positioning meant he was in no position to make a judgement. The linesman hadn't flagged to indicate a foul so, at best, the referee should've had a brief conversation with the linesman to determine what he's seen from his position. Extremely poor refereeing: he got caught up in the moment, the crowd noise etc and gambled on black. It turns out it was red.

Nothing about landing in the box. There is still contact as they go into the box. The foul started outside and carries on into the box. That’s a pen.
Read the rules ,your wrong .a foul in is given from the first point of contact unless it's holding that carries on Into the box .don't post if you can't be arsed to know the rules

We seem to have posters on here saying it was a pen only a knob head or a wednesdayite would think it was a pen .or maybe knob head Wednesdayites .utb read the rules

Back
Top Bottom