That "Pen"

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Do you need a rule to know the bleeding obvious ,do you need somebody to wipe your arse when thas shit thee Sen .

Rule 13 direct free kicks are taken from the spot of the incident ,is that ok for you

Interesting one isn't it

A few other refs have tweeted it was a penalty due to the foul continuing as the player went into the box, stating Stevens still had contact with Solanke when he slid in.

Colin Murray on Quest said the rules say any foul that carries on into the box is a penalty is a foul also and was very dismissive of any saying it was not a penalty. He says it was correct based on the rules but above suggests possibly otherwise.

I have to say we had a Sharp one the same the other week and a free kick was given not a penalty.

It does seem daft to have such a rule for holding but not for other tackles where the foul carries on. Probably more obviously than today where I am not even certain the contact carried on much after he got in the box but just seems odd to differentiate. You could slide in and foul a player,then carry on bringing down but get away with it if the player finally gets brought down in the box? Yet a grapple or hold treated differently?
If Law 12 is posted in its entirety then the rule is explicit in that a penalty can only be given when holding continues into the box following an infringement first occurring outside the box.

Rules are explicit for a reason. The wording is clearly designed to refer only to Holding.

The problem is a matter of interpretation and that is where the PGMOL and Riley have a lot to answer for. Rather than apply the rule as written Riley has consistently backed those refs who apply their own interpretation hence what would seem to be a simple reference to holding has been devolved into various other scenarios. Those scenarios are not in the rule book yet Riley continues to allow this custom and practice so negating the effectiveness of rule as written. This is the reason why refs have different views of what should have happened yesterday.

Add in clueless pundits who don't do their research, journalists who typically put their own slant on matters and ex pros who've only read what the journalists have written and you perpetuate the current malaise in referee standards in English football.

VAR wouldn't have helped yesterday. Those same officials who are allowed to apply their own interpretations rather than be mandated to follow the rule book to the letter of the Law are the VAR decision makers.

Nothing will change next week a championship ref will apply the Billy Sharp interpretation and we'll lose out again

Procedure.
All free kicks are taken from the place where the offence occurred, except:

• indirect free kicks to the attacking team for an offence inside the opponents’ goal area are taken from the nearest point on the goal area line which runs parallel to the goal line.there you go

Some right bellends on here ,fa rules 12 and 13 clarify the situation

What you can't do is try to understand individual referees decisions . Or understand their thinking

I've tried to cover all of this in post #41 on this thread, I asked a qualified pro referee, who in turn confirmed with 8 other refs and I'm confident we now have the definitive answer.

And a pro referee, officiating at the second highest level in English football, gave the penalty.

And if the line is “championship referees are shit” what does that say about those refs who have not made it to that level?

,,,, probably cost us 3 points today.
If Stevens hadn't steamed in a fouled the bloke, the 2 other defenders could have put a block in. It's marginally outside the box but I can understand why the ref thought it was in. He doesn't have var or slowed down replays to help him make a decision.

If Stevens hadn't steamed in a fouled the bloke, the 2 other defenders could have put a block in. It's marginally outside the box but I can understand why the ref thought it was in. He doesn't have var or slowed down replays to help him make a decision.
“Marginally outside the box”
At least a yard is marginal???
The ref was 30 yards behind an in no way could see the incident clearly
He guessed
Absolutely diabolical

We ain’t gonna change a thing by bleating about it. Was it a penalty? Have a look in the papers today.

More news…We lost. We scored a goal, defended atrociously for six or seven minutes and threw it all away.

We’ve got to get stronger, smarter and much much more resilient

He guessed
Absolutely diabolical
Absolutely diabolical tackle from Stevens and looking at the pic of the lads leg he was lucky to not be sent off.

The referee guessed, it's as simple as that. I was stood in line with the incident and it looked like an excellent tackle outside the area. When the play was stopped me and the people around me all looked at each other and came to the conclusion that the referee had deemed it to be a back pass or (incorrectly) come to the conclusion that it was a foul outside the area. A referee should never guess - particularly when it comes to match changing situations. The first thing I did after the incident was look to the right and the referees position. He was close to the half way line looking through bodies at the incident. The referees job is to be close, at an angle, unobstructed. His poor positioning meant he was in no position to make a judgement. The linesman hadn't flagged to indicate a foul so, at best, the referee should've had a brief conversation with the linesman to determine what he's seen from his position. Extremely poor refereeing: he got caught up in the moment, the crowd noise etc and gambled on black. It turns out it was red.
Unfortunately one of those bodies was the rather wide one of Fleck

According to Gary Neville a foul outside the box that results in the player falling over in the box is not a penalty.

He has a 'linesman'

And a pro referee, officiating at the second highest level in English football, gave the penalty.

And if the line is “championship referees are shit” what does that say about those refs who have not made it to that level?
Maybe he just thought the initial contact was in the box?

He guessed
Absolutely diabolical
1633281485555.png

Maybe VAR would have intervened, but it's a big ask for referees to get these decisions right all the time.

Regardless of the penalty decision I think it was disappointing that a long ball in behind caught our defence out.

1633281769202.png
Davies has some pace though and he did catch up with Solanke and may even have blocked the shot if Stevens hadn't come flying.

The main argument of this thread is that the referee made the wrong decision. The fact he made the decision isn’t in question.

Looked at this a few times. Does ES get the ball first or is it a heavy touch from Solanke that sends it goalwards?
Genuine question. Can't see really.

Looked at this a few times. Does ES get the ball first or is it a heavy touch from Solanke that sends it goalwards?
Genuine question. Can't see really.

From one of the angles I’ve seen it looked like Enda got the ball but in real time I didn’t think that so can understand why the referee thought the same. It was still outside of the box though.

agree replay shows that Stevens 1/ got the bal 2/ he did it outside the penalty area
Also any footage about the 2nd goal starting from an offside not being given?

Back
Top Bottom