TC Nostalgia

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Nothing I haven't heard before but it brought the memories rolling back. I still can't believe just how good he was, he had everything. I did hear back in the day he had knee trouble from early on & frequently missed training sessions in order to be fit for games, can you imagine what he would have been like had he trained as hard as the other players?

A good read bringing back alot of good memories. I agree with him that the goal against Liverpool was for me his greatest with honourable mention to the goal to beat Leeds in the League Cup. Actually think that Woody's goal in the West Ham game was the better goal as it started with Jim Brown in goal and was a terrific passing build up.

The fact that Don Revie told TC , Alan Hudson , Rodney Marsh (full weight **** but decent player) Charlie George , Frank Worthington and Stan Bowles that they weren't in his plans tells you all you need to know about his stewardship of the England football team .

I wonder what Gareth Southgate would give to have players of that quality available to him as compared to Jordan Henderson , Harry Winks etc etc ......... :eek:

Like comparing chalk and cheese or Muhammad Ali and Richard Dunne.

FFS .

He might a Blades Legend, but by golly, the man's never going to let the chip go.

Concentrate on what you achieved, not what could've been.

And for those who say he was the Best they'd ever seen, really?

He might a Blades Legend, but by golly, the man's never going to let the chip go.

Best I saw in a Blades shirt, but best I ever saw? In person Best, Cruyff, Maradona, Zico, Gullit and Pirlo off the top of my head were all better.

The fact that Don Revie told TC , Alan Hudson , Rodney Marsh (full weight **** but decent player) Charlie George , Frank Worthington and Stan Bowles that they weren't in his plans tells you all you need to know about his stewardship of the England football team .

I wonder what Gareth Southgate would give to have players of that quality available to him as compared to Jordan Henderson , Harry Winks etc etc ......... :eek:

Like comparing chalk and cheese or Muhammad Ali and Richard Dunne.

FFS .
With the exception of perhaps Hudson,is it accurate to say the remainder all played with a little swagger? How many if any today match them and if it was the case back then, was it a reflection of how different the game was"Back in the Day"

Best I saw in a Blades shirt, but best I ever saw? In person Best, Cruyff, Maradona, Zico, Gullit and Pirlo off the top of my head were all better.

Would agree with that. I went to a game at Fulham, during the late 1960s, when they played Man Utd. The fact that Best was playing, and probably in his prime, must have added 10 thousand to the gate, such was his talent and ability to entertain. I've been fortunate to have seen some wonderful players, and Currie was certainly a superb player, but then so was a young Alan Hudson while at Chelsea, as was the great Arsenal player, Liam Brady, who, in my opinion, could have walked into any English side at that time.

But as for the question of greatness, even though I never managed to see Pirlo, clearly he was made from superior material. same goes for Maradona who I still regard as one of the very, very best. I'd include Frank Rijkaard as arguably one of the finest defenders I've seen, same applies to Paolo Maldini, as classy and complete a defender as I can recall. Other Italian players I class as great players are Nesta and Cannavaro, both top defenders. The list goes on and on, and I must mention Cruyff, never saw him live, but such a wonderful talent allied to brilliant athleticism. Can't forget the one player who was a master of everything, Pele. Never saw him live, but he had the most wonderful set of skills and tactical awareness, and to this day I haven't seen anyone better. Brazil has probably produced some of the finest players I've seen, Socrates who was a fantastic player, of course Zico who was magical, Rivellino was also a top, top player, as was Falcao. Mustn't forget two great French players, the wonderful Platini (forget what a twat of an administrator he became) and finally, the awesome Zidane, someone I'd happily pay money to see in his prime.

Would agree with that. I went to a game at Fulham, during the late 1960s, when they played Man Utd. The fact that Best was playing, and probably in his prime, must have added 10 thousand to the gate, such was his talent and ability to entertain. I've been fortunate to have seen some wonderful players, and Currie was certainly a superb player, but then so was a young Alan Hudson while at Chelsea, as was the great Arsenal player, Liam Brady, who, in my opinion, could have walked into any English side at that time.

But as for the question of greatness, even though I never managed to see Pirlo, clearly he was made from superior material. same goes for Maradona who I still regard as one of the very, very best. I'd include Frank Rijkaard as arguably one of the finest defenders I've seen, same applies to Paolo Maldini, as classy and complete a defender as I can recall. Other Italian players I class as great players are Nesta and Cannavaro, both top defenders. The list goes on and on, and I must mention Cruyff, never saw him live, but such a wonderful talent allied to brilliant athleticism. Can't forget the one player who was a master of everything, Pele. Never saw him live, but he had the most wonderful set of skills and tactical awareness, and to this day I haven't seen anyone better. Brazil has probably produced some of the finest players I've seen, Socrates who was a fantastic player, of course Zico who was magical, Rivellino was also a top, top player, as was Falcao. Mustn't forget two great French players, the wonderful Platini (forget what a twat of an administrator he became) and finally, the awesome Zidane, someone I'd happily pay money to see in his prime.

Great as Maldini was, the finest defender I saw was his compatriot and clubmate Franco Baresi.

Great as Maldini was, the finest defender I saw was his compatriot and clubmate Franco Baresi.

Funnily, I thought of Baresi, and if ever a player epitomised the Italian approach to the defensive arts, many of which were dark, he was up there with the best. Perhaps it was my purist approach that excluded him, but I'm sure as a manager he'd be first to be included if I wanted a winning side. Thanks for the nudge mate.

Currie was a fucking legend. Simple as that. Talented, agile, visionary and with buckets of flair. Still one of the best players in a United shirt in the past sixty years.

And yes, his shot v Liverpool was the best. And I was at the Lane for that bugger.

pommpey

Agree, should have become an established international but for a manager who was unworthy of the job. Best there's been at this club, and a once in 50-years type, as rare as chicken's teeth etc, etc.

Funnily, I thought of Baresi, and if ever a player epitomised the Italian approach to the defensive arts, many of which were dark, he was up there with the best. Perhaps it was my purist approach that excluded him, but I'm sure as a manager he'd be first to be included if I wanted a winning side. Thanks for the nudge mate.

Now if you want a true master of the dark arts, that would be Claudio Gentile. Every dirty trick in the book and then he wrote his own volume.

When I was 10, my grandfather marched myself, my sister and three cousins from Hillfoot Bridge to Hillsborough because "the best player in the world is coming to Sheffield" and we MUST go to see him. So we joined the crowds to watch George Best score twice as Man U beat SWFC 3-1. I didn't know enough to appreciate it at the time.

He was the most skilful and charismatic Blades player I ever saw. I think Woodward made a greater contribution and I’d probably put Woody ahead of him for that reason. Woodward was the best striker of a football I’ve ever seen for United. He could make the ball bend, dip and swerve - something we associated at the time with the great Brazilian players like Rivellino and Jairzinho. He also had a ferocious shot.

They had a great understanding on the field, supported by many other greats who never got the attention they did: like Salmons, Reece, Badger, Eddy, Hockey, Scullion. Dearden.

He was the most skilful and charismatic Blades player I ever saw. I think Woodward made a greater contribution and I’d probably put Woody ahead of him for that reason. Woodward was the best striker of a football I’ve ever seen for United. He could make the ball bend, dip and swerve - something we associated at the time with the great Brazilian players like Rivellino and Jairzinho. He also had a ferocious shot.

They had a great understanding on the field, supported by many other greats who never got the attention they did: like Salmons, Reece, Badger, Eddy, Hockey, Scullion. Dearden.

That was quite a team. Although football is a different scientific venture these days, I wonder what we'd have been like instigating the training, coaching and technical regimes on the classes of 71-72-73 for example. Okay, many would say that they'd rebel and wouldn't forgo their pint and a fag at half time, but imagine a 15% fitter Trevor Hockey, John Flynn and Tony Currie and the recovery techniques post game which would have kept them from developing and playing with debilitating injuries (such as Currie's arthritis which did start at an early point in his career). Geoff Salmons was quick, but imagine him just 5% quicker, or Billy Dearden's strike rate improved by 5% by better strategy to give him space to get more shots per game in? Imagine us playing with a:

----------------------McAllister------------------

------Hemsley------Colquhoun------Badger----

----------------Flynn----------Hockey------------

Woodward-------------Currie--------------Reece

--------------Salmons----------Dearden----------

And being able to sustain a strategy which had Hemsley and Badger bypassing Flynn and Hockey to support Woodward, Currie and Reece and have the legs to track back once possession was changed?

pommpey

Nothing I haven't heard before but it brought the memories rolling back. I still can't believe just how good he was, he had everything. I did hear back in the day he had knee trouble from early on & frequently missed training sessions in order to be fit for games, can you imagine what he would have been like had he trained as hard as the other players?

Reckon that if he'd trained (as hard) as the other players his knees should have been knackered even earlier ?😉

That was quite a team. Although football is a different scientific venture these days, I wonder what we'd have been like instigating the training, coaching and technical regimes on the classes of 71-72-73 for example. Okay, many would say that they'd rebel and wouldn't forgo their pint and a fag at half time, but imagine a 15% fitter Trevor Hockey, John Flynn and Tony Currie and the recovery techniques post game which would have kept them from developing and playing with debilitating injuries (such as Currie's arthritis which did start at an early point in his career). Geoff Salmons was quick, but imagine him just 5% quicker, or Billy Dearden's strike rate improved by 5% by better strategy to give him space to get more shots per game in? Imagine us playing with a:

----------------------McAllister------------------

------Hemsley------Colquhoun------Badger----

----------------Flynn----------Hockey------------

Woodward-------------Currie--------------Reece

--------------Salmons----------Dearden----------

And being able to sustain a strategy which had Hemsley and Badger bypassing Flynn and Hockey to support Woodward, Currie and Reece and have the legs to track back once possession was changed?

pommpey

Not sure you'd be getting the best out of Sammy up front (on the right) ?

Agree with all of them. I would have to add Beckenbauer, Batistuta and Baresi.

Brazil has probably produced some of the finest players I've seen, Socrates who was a fantastic player, of course Zico who was magical, Rivellino was also a top, top player, as was Falcao.
Went to see that 1982 world cup side play England at Wembley the previous October. Cost £10 to sit on wooden benches.
I would have paid double or more to watch them. Really disappointed they didn't win the World cup.
(Not Rivellino of course.)

Agree with all of them. I would have to add Beckenbauer, Batistuta and Baresi.

This is one of those topics that nudge the memory, so I wonder, why did I fail to mention Thuram or Desailly? Both as good as you'll find. Makelele was one of the finest defensive midfielders I can recall. I know this is meant to be about the best of the best, but I always loved the Danish partnership of Michael Laudrap and Preben Elkjaer, one of the most dynamic forward pairings I've seen. SEB was absolutely spot on about Van Basten, as good a forward as there's been.

I also enjoyed the silky skills of the Spanish player, Butragueno, exceptional whatever he attempted. Of course Der Kaiser is a given, and I've probably forgotten far too many, for which I'm sorry. A great player lives with you forever, they bring joy, pleasure, and in some cases, wonderment that anyone can do such amazing things.

This is one of those topics that nudge the memory, so I wonder, why did I fail to mention Thuram or Desailly? Both as good as you'll find. Makelele was one of the finest defensive midfielders I can recall. I know this is meant to be about the best of the best, but I always loved the Danish partnership of Michael Laudrap and Preben Elkjaer, one of the most dynamic forward pairings I've seen. SEB was absolutely spot on about Van Basten, as good a forward as there's been.

I also enjoyed the silky skills of the Spanish player, Butragueno, exceptional whatever he attempted. Of course Der Kaiser is a given, and I've probably forgotten far too many, for which I'm sorry. A great player lives with you forever, they bring joy, pleasure, and in some cases, wonderment that anyone can do such amazing things.

Have you read Danish Dynamite? A cracking book about that mid 80s Denmark side, I highly recommend it.

If you don't want to fork out for the book, there's a great extended article on The Guardian by the same authors, which is the precursor to the book really.

Have you read Danish Dynamite? A cracking book about that mid 80s Denmark side, I highly recommend it.

If you don't want to fork out for the book, there's a great extended article on The Guardian by the same authors, which is the precursor to the book really.

Cheers fella, I'll check out the book. I've got several excellent football books, so adding another is something I'll look forward to.

In a similar vein, and for those who remember Cruyff, Neeskens, Rep, Haan, Rensenbrink et al. Have a read of Brilliant Orange: The Neurotic Genius of Dutch Football by David Winner. The philosophy behind Coerver Training methods and total football.

Great article that brought back many fond memories.
TC was a great footballer. But he was also much more. He oozed charisma and an endearing persona.

For me what summed him up most was the punchline to that well-worn joke:
"That's god, he thinks he's Tony Currie."

It shows Revie’s Leeds side were carried by Bremner, Giles and Gray, three all time greats and none of them English. When he couldn’t select them he didn’t have a clue.

Back
Top Bottom