Mail Sport: Sheffield United consider move to bring Chris Wilder back as manager

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

If this turns out to be true and the unthinkable happened. What would the season have to look like for people to change their mind and see the re-appointment as a good thing? Scraping survival? Safely in the bottom half of the table? Top half finish?

FWIW, l think the current setup is capable of the first two scenarios.

Not a good look for the Prince or Club if we let Hecky etc. go.
It sounds like it's all bollocks but honestly, this club can just get fucked if they decide to sack Hecky.

Each game we see more and more positives and I agree, this squad is capable of survival. Personally think signings under Hecky have been decent, he deserves the season and if we go down swinging then he deserves next season too.

I know there's not a great deal they could have done but with the disappointment of Ndiaye leaving and then a Hecky sacking. Fuck me.

Most of the players haven't had time to take their coats off yet, and already some are selling the manager down the river !!!

I.M.O. for what it's worth, the team are just finding their feet, and I've thought all along it'll take till Christmas to get a fully settled team
And by then there's even another window .
So there's Bags of time yet for the results to come good ...
And even if we did go down (which I doubt,)
it's not that long ago most of the posters on here were expecting it, saying we could then use the extra money to build an even stronger team..

THE FUTURES BRIGHT ITS RED & WHITE.....:):):)

I've always felt Wilder should never have been let go in the first place but two wrongs don't make a right.

Hecky has more than earned the right to stay on - we've been very fine margins away from having 7 points right now, which would be one more than Man United.

And sacking him isn't suddenly going to make five multi-million pound footballers magically appear on our bench, the lack of which is what has cost us.
He wasn't let go
He walked

2007 16yrs ago an yes it had to be us, but realistically how often does it happen?
Gaps between relegation zone and the team above in the Premier League era:
92/93 Palace down by 2 goals from Oldham
93/94 1 point gap, if we'd got a point at Chelsea we'd have stayed up on goal difference
94/95 3 point gap
95/96 3 teams on 38 points, Man City down by 7 goals on GD, Coventry and Saints survive level on GD with Cov highest on goals scored
96/97 1 point gap (16th/17th decided on GD)
97/98 Bolton down by 5 on GD
98/99 5 point gap
99/00 3 point gap
00/01 8 point gap (14th/15th/16th/17th deceided on GD)
01/02 4 point gap
02/03 2 point gap
03/04 6 point gap
04/05 1 point gap
05/06 4 point gap
06/07 Blades down by 1 on GD
07/08 Reading down by 3 on GD

08/09 1 point gap
09/10 5 point gap
10/11 1 point gap
11/12 1 point gap
12/13 3 point gap
13/14 3 point gap
14/15 3 point gap
15/16 2 point gap
16/17 6 point gap
17/18 3 point gap
18/19 2 point gap
19/20 1 point gap
20/21 11 point gap
21/22 3 point gap
22/23 2 point gap

So 5 times in 31 seasons, with 7 more times where there was only a 1 point gap, so goal difference could easily have come into play. Points on the board are obviously more important but narrow defeats are preferable to playing so open that we routinely lose by 3 or 4.

I’m definitely not anti-hecky however could be open to a new manager punt if we go another 4 / 5 games winless….. late fresh legs could’ve at least won us a point t’other night imo 🤔

I do love hecky and I'm not even sure how another manager could change a thing anyway. I sometimes question our team selection, tactics and substitutions but can't even see Pep saving us with the cost of our squad.

If he is let go then would have loved to have given Monty a go. Young, talented manager who plays the kids and a lovely brand of football. Bit too late unfortunately

Has Darren Smith said anything on the subject because lets be honest, he does on most things and the Prince chooses to communicate through him so if Darren has said nothing then that speaks volumes to me. If he does sack Hecky then he's gonna have a fans revolt on his hands.

Has Darren Smith said anything on the subject because lets be honest, he does on most things and the Prince chooses to communicate through him so if Darren has said nothing then that speaks volumes to me. If he does sack Hecky then he's gonna have a fans revolt on his hands.
He said there was nothing in it

Hecky has done a great job under great pressure .All the shit that he has put up with and the rumours regarding the ownership and the embargo he has been brill . Went a few windows without being able to add to the squad and was still successful in getting to the prem (A LEAGUE THAT STINKS IN MY OPINION ) saving the club from melt down . Although I liked Wilder Hecky as shown he is right for the job to. Has had only limited funds to work with and brought in ten players some who look real quality he deserves some loyalty and support . We all knew this year would be really hard holding our own in this bent league and I can not think of anyone else who could do better without spending mega bucks which of course will never happen.

Agree but it’s slightly misleading.

The great pressure Hecky was under was expectation and the necessity to achieve promotion otherwise our club would be in massive trouble,

The embargo had little effect in reality because we already had one of the best, most highly paid squads in the league. It just stopped us replacing Khadra, so wasn’t ideal but wasn’t a disaster.

Agree we expected it to be tough this season but man for man these are higher quality players than the Wilder team that was chasing a Champions league spot. Although appreciate Wilder had loads of time to crate a well oiled machine with hardly any injuries.

Someone earlier asked about my reservation. It’s more about Heckys vision/ playing style/ attitude.

Last season our tactic was to generally keep things tight 1st half conserving energy and like a boxer just sparring working out the opposition. 2nd half we’d raise it playing some excellent football for 15 minutes and we’d score 1-0 up then we’d gradually sit back, park the bus, invite pressure and boot it clear looking like a kick and rush side. Never understood why Hecky never addressed how if we want to waste time and run down the clock then just keep possession.

The negative tactic was really effective last season, used to think, sitting back inviting pressure will only lead to tears but to be honest we held out with ease. Like Athletico Madrid we were brilliant at parking the bus. The opposition fans last season were never impressed always saying we don’t look a top 2 side and I agree. Most of our performances were mixed but we had an habit of getting a result, so no complaints in the short term.

Anyhow we’ve brought this style to the PL. Hecky has probably recognised that Egan and Robinson are very slow, so he tells them to stay back defending the edge of their box most of the game.

My prediction for this season is we’ll average 25% to 30% possession and our defence will be always under pressure however I’m hoping we make an habit of pinching results. We almost did it away at Spurs, think that type of performance will become the norm. Are people happy with this style?

I’m a little on the fence. I am concerned that, so far, we look like a league 1 side playing a PL side in the cup. Don’t think it’s a good tactic to park the bus but we’ve only just got our players together so I’m hoping Hecky can be more expansive, especially at home. Do think we’re slowly improving and based on the cautious way we set up, it’s no surprise that no team will thrash us.

Funny you should say that...Neil is apparently going to resign at udders soon. What a dream team Warnock Wilder and Heckingbottom. Sounds like a dodgy estate agents if you ask me...🤣🤣🤣🤣
Dream team:
Warnock on as director of football
Hecky on as manager
Wilder on the Peroni

Id be well happy with having Knill back in some capacity, he was the brains behind Wilder. If they are attached at hip then id have em come in to work alongside Hecky not take his place.

Hecky deserves at least the whole season. I don't always agree with his substitutions etc but he has conducted himself brilliantly in an adverse situation.

Wilder, loved what he did for us but his last few months when it was all going south wasn't pretty and he went from one extreme to the other. His interviews became painful. So, at this moment in time I want Hecky to continue.

Don’t think it’s realistic to insist any manager should remain in post no matter what. That would be gross negligence by any owner.

Most owners should look at performances, player morale, unrest amongst the fan base and what alternatives are available.

If the trends clearly show a club is heading for a relegation then you would expect any owner to act. However I suppose there’s an argument that we just accept relegation and plan for a promotion push next season, making the Archer signing pointless.

Regards manager appointments these are sone issues that haven’t been mentioned yet.

1: Under Wilder we hardly had injuries and he played the same starting 11 again and again. Whereas under Hecky our injury record has been incredibly bad. Of course the initial explanation is “bad luck”, but it’s gone on for so long, that now you think it must be training methods. Maybe there’s more pressure and anger from the Prince to Hecky because half our squad always seem to be injured.

2: New owners are always keen to appoint new managers asap. So could argue…no point in changing anything until the sale goes through.

3: We now live in a social media world and club image/ publicity/ world wide reputation is much more important than most Blades realise. Whether you like it or not, having Heckingbottam as manager means general football fans switch off. I’ve noticed we’ve had very little publicity this season, there’s no news story and no interest. Whereas under Wilder we received loads of publicity. Any new owner will know if we swapped Hecky for Wayne Rooney or Frank Lampard then our club profile instantly increases which is an important start for a business minded new owner.

Id be well happy with having Knill back in some capacity, he was the brains behind Wilder. If they are attached at hip then id have em come in to work alongside Hecky not take his place.

The problem is Wilder will alway want to be the front man and is a born leader. He’ll automatically try to rule the roost because he’s a leader, so can’t help himself.

theres a thread on pigtalk wanting hecky as their new manager when the clown cisco is sacked after boro beat em and quite a few have supported the idea just wonder if wilder might be brought back not as manager but to work with hecky mcall and lester 🤔

The problem is Wilder will alway want to be the front man and is a born leader. He’ll automatically try to rule the roost because he’s a leader, so can’t help himself.
If he wants another bite at the cherry not just with us but with any club in future hes gunna have to tuck his tail between his legs, grin and bear it! I can picture him and Mcall in Blades tracksuits stood at edge of techinal box giving Hecky advice and it makes me feel fuzzy and sick in equal measures.

Gaps between relegation zone and the team above in the Premier League era:
92/93 Palace down by 2 goals from Oldham
93/94 1 point gap, if we'd got a point at Chelsea we'd have stayed up on goal difference
94/95 3 point gap
95/96 3 teams on 38 points, Man City down by 7 goals on GD, Coventry and Saints survive level on GD with Cov highest on goals scored
96/97 1 point gap (16th/17th decided on GD)
97/98 Bolton down by 5 on GD
98/99 5 point gap
99/00 3 point gap
00/01 8 point gap (14th/15th/16th/17th deceided on GD)
01/02 4 point gap
02/03 2 point gap
03/04 6 point gap
04/05 1 point gap
05/06 4 point gap
06/07 Blades down by 1 on GD
07/08 Reading down by 3 on GD

08/09 1 point gap
09/10 5 point gap
10/11 1 point gap
11/12 1 point gap
12/13 3 point gap
13/14 3 point gap
14/15 3 point gap
15/16 2 point gap
16/17 6 point gap
17/18 3 point gap
18/19 2 point gap
19/20 1 point gap
20/21 11 point gap
21/22 3 point gap
22/23 2 point gap

So 5 times in 31 seasons, with 7 more times where there was only a 1 point gap, so goal difference could easily have come into play. Points on the board are obviously more important but narrow defeats are preferable to playing so open that we routinely lose by 3 or 4.
… or actually playing for a 0-3 in many away games as we did under Warnock.

What about Wilder as Director of Football but with a strict remit to stay the fuck out of day to day first team affairs? Hecky stays on as manager.

Thoughts?
It would be ironic if he took a DoF job given he spent a lot of time moaning about them during his time at the club.

70% possession 28 shots 620 passes 15 corners they ran fucking rings around us, the score line doesn't reflect how negative boring an poor we was with the ball. Constantly time wasting, we won't go anywhere fast If we carry on with these tactics. I don't expect us to go toe to toe with teams like spurs but we have to be braver and more controlled with the ball.

You don't remember the 'boring boring Arsenal' song of the 80's and 90's.

1.0 to the Arsenal, got the job done.

This iconic song celebrated the parsimonious Arsenal defence of the 1980s and early 1990s.

Maybe when the squad is at full strength, we may play less defensively.
But at the moment it's better than being trounced 4/5/6 - 0

The great pressure Hecky was under was expectation and the necessity to achieve promotion otherwise our club would be in massive trouble,

The embargo had little effect in reality because we already had one of the best, most highly paid squads in the league. It just stopped us replacing Khadra, so wasn’t ideal but wasn’t a disaster.

Agree we expected it to be tough this season but man for man these are higher quality players than the Wilder team that was chasing a Champions league spot. Although appreciate Wilder had loads of time to crate a well oiled machine with hardly any injuries.

Someone earlier asked about my reservation. It’s more about Heckys vision/ playing style/ attitude.

Last season our tactic was to generally keep things tight 1st half conserving energy and like a boxer just sparring working out the opposition. 2nd half we’d raise it playing some excellent football for 15 minutes and we’d score 1-0 up then we’d gradually sit back, park the bus, invite pressure and boot it clear looking like a kick and rush side. Never understood why Hecky never addressed how if we want to waste time and run down the clock then just keep possession.

The negative tactic was really effective last season, used to think, sitting back inviting pressure will only lead to tears but to be honest we held out with ease. Like Athletico Madrid we were brilliant at parking the bus. The opposition fans last season were never impressed always saying we don’t look a top 2 side and I agree. Most of our performances were mixed but we had an habit of getting a result, so no complaints in the short term.

Anyhow we’ve brought this style to the PL. Hecky has probably recognised that Egan and Robinson are very slow, so he tells them to stay back defending the edge of their box most of the game.

My prediction for this season is we’ll average 25% to 30% possession and our defence will be always under pressure however I’m hoping we make an habit of pinching results. We almost did it away at Spurs, think that type of performance will become the norm. Are people happy with this style?

I’m a little on the fence. I am concerned that, so far, we look like a league 1 side playing a PL side in the cup. Don’t think it’s a good tactic to park the bus but we’ve only just got our players together so I’m hoping Hecky can be more expansive, especially at home. Do think we’re slowly improving and based on the cautious way we set up, it’s no surprise that no team will thrash us.
Man for man this team is better than Wilders 19/20 team?

We had a fit and healthy Billy Sharp warming the bench in 19/20 season. I don't see any quality strikers on the bench this season.

We had Jack O'connel in the 19/20 season, let's not pretend any of the current defenders can hold a candle to that.

We had an in form Enda Stevens back then, now we've got Leicester and Troyes cast offs.

I know people like to pretend that Sander Berge is no loss, but actually he'd still walk into this team ahead of Souza, as would the Fleck of old.

Most given a choice would rather have Henderson than Wes also.

So no, man for man this team isn't better than Wilders 19/20 team.

Last edited:

Agree with most of it not all of it .

Back
Top Bottom