Some thoughts on our transfer business

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Really?

Admittedly, I didn't see the Luton game, but i thought he was great against Huddersfield.
He's better than what we'd got there before with Robinson but he got nudged off the ball for Huddersfield's 2nd and looked weak at times v Luton. Comfortable on the ball but not very strong when faced with a striker who pushes and shoves.

I was hoping to see a lot more positive response, but everyone has their own take on the situation.
For me we just need to catch up and then stay in the mix come January when the race starts to hot up.
We need to brush up on our understanding of the work permit system as it seems someone at the club is clueless.
I'll take what we've got till January.

People been whinging for youth into the team, now whinging because we haven’t brought in older players to back up defence, after calling for Lopata and Gordon to be in team 🤣

1. Happy with all of the incomings to one degree or another. Olsen could be very good in this league and is a big upgrade on Wes and Verrips. The 2 midfielders would have to be very bad to be worse than what we have, and they could have a lot of upside. I'm not 100% sold on Davies but again he's an upgrade on the in house alternatives.

2. The squad is certainly better than it was this time last week. I suppose the Algerian lad might come too making the dream of no Fleck, Berge or Norwood on the pitch a possibility.

3. Just bringing in loans is kicking the can down the road on a squad rebuild and is another sign we are potless but if I'd spent over 40 million on Brewster and McBurnie I wouldn't want to spend much either.

4. I am slightly disappointed Jebbison was loaned out but at least we will find out if he's any good.

5. the most glaring omission, of course, is the failure to bring in wide men. We tried to do this and it seems to have collapsed on us. Doing business earlier might have helped, I suppose. This makes me wonder what formation the manager will use, because the players we have do not lend themselves to him using a formation that has made him successful in the past. If there's little variation on what we are doing at the moment, a number of players are really going to have to buck their ideas up.

6. Shame we couldn't get rid of more of the players who are not contributing but their contracts are millstones for us. And people have seen them play.

7. I don't think the upgrades will see us in the top 6, but they should hopefully be enough to see us higher than 23rd.

Agree with most of that tbf

Berge out the team though I disagree in a midfield half decent it will drag him up with them and he is still our best players and one of the best players in the league

Also no to play-off, I disagree with the team we have we is more than good enough to go on a run and id say if were not up there then that is on Slav and not the squad that he has

Yes we don't have wingers but the quality is there

1. Happy with all of the incomings to one degree or another. Olsen could be very good in this league and is a big upgrade on Wes and Verrips. The 2 midfielders would have to be very bad to be worse than what we have, and they could have a lot of upside. I'm not 100% sold on Davies but again he's an upgrade on the in house alternatives.

2. The squad is certainly better than it was this time last week. I suppose the Algerian lad might come too making the dream of no Fleck, Berge or Norwood on the pitch a possibility.

3. Just bringing in loans is kicking the can down the road on a squad rebuild and is another sign we are potless but if I'd spent over 40 million on Brewster and McBurnie I wouldn't want to spend much either.

4. I am slightly disappointed Jebbison was loaned out but at least we will find out if he's any good.

5. the most glaring omission, of course, is the failure to bring in wide men. We tried to do this and it seems to have collapsed on us. Doing business earlier might have helped, I suppose. This makes me wonder what formation the manager will use, because the players we have do not lend themselves to him using a formation that has made him successful in the past. If there's little variation on what we are doing at the moment, a number of players are really going to have to buck their ideas up.

6. Shame we couldn't get rid of more of the players who are not contributing but their contracts are millstones for us. And people have seen them play.

7. I don't think the upgrades will see us in the top 6, but they should hopefully be enough to see us higher than 23rd.

Fair summary. If you were to look at the window as a whole you would find more negatives than positives IMO. We got much needed replacements for Ramsdale and Lundstram and a LCB finally with the one real new addition in MGW. Lowe, Siriki, Jebbison were loaned. Smith was a permanent out with no fee and we failed to move on the high earners, with the exception of Ramsdale, leaving a bloated unbalanced squad devoid of the wide players SJ desperately needed.

The simple fact is we failed to deliver to SJ what he had asked for and as a consequence it restricts his ability to turn around the current malaise.

He had to go public late in the day to state the agreed strategy was not being followed. This brings into question how the Club operates off the field on a day to day basis. In the absence of information to the contrary I'm concerned the United World hybrid structure is inhibiting decision making at SUFC. There is a real need for a football brain on the Board in the guise of a DOF. The manner with which we conducted our last day of transfer business lends weight to that view.

The one real positive is the price negotiated for Ramsdale. £30 million from a starting point of wanting £32.5m compared to Arse's first bid of £18m is a good result. It's significant SUFC employed a third party in Jordan to do the deal. Its doubtful this person was used in other aspects of transfer business and therein lies the problem.

We know from SJ he had decision making authority into players coming in and out with the exception of Ramsdale and Berge. He put in his lists 2 months ago. He agreed a strategy with the powers that be. I'm surmising that was the Prince, his acting Chairman Yusef G with some input from JVW. Previously we had a transfer committee, maybe it still exists, where everyone had their say and deals were voted on and signed off.

So what happened in the intervening period? Paul Mitchell and his team of 5 would have identified targets prior to any sign off so it would be difficult to apportion any blame here. The only logical conclusion is that the disconnect lies at the door of those doing the negotiating namely Messrs Bettis and Schieber whose track record in failing to get deals over the line is well known. This assumes everyone was working to the same plan?

We've been embarrassed before about fax machines and doing negotiations too late in day. It seems nothing has been learned from previous failures when we are incapable of understanding work permit issues that have been in the public domain for months. Worse still we pursue a transfer to the final hurdle and then crash into it because someones not done the due diligence. In competent organisations heads would roll as a result but our negotiating team have acquired teflon hands.

This continuing mis management reflects badly on PA, it unsettles a quality manager who has only been here for 2 months and leads to lack of confidence amongst the supporters. Many thought under new ownership the comedy fax routine would disappear on deadline day. Unfortunately someone dusted it off and took it to a new level yesterday with the failed Karamoh transfer.

I hope PA now realises he needs to devote more time to providing SJ with football support on a day to day basis at SUFC. It is not a good look in the football world that 2 successive managers have felt the need to go public to air their grievances. The disconnect needs to be dealt with if we are to grow as a Club and aspire to return to the EPL in the long term. In the short term a root and branch review of what went wrong in this transfer window and what needs to be put right for the JTW should have commenced this morning at 9 a.m.

Pretty much as I see it. The glaring problems have finally been addressed. Would have loved the wingers too but we managed to get promoted before without any. The Collado one was an odd one. He didn't seem keen to come here at all, so I have a feeling that we may have dodged a bullet there. We can do without another player who thinks he is too good to be here imo. He should sack his agent if the rumours are true. Being stuck playing reserve football for 4 months due to your agent trying to line his pocket at the players expense is unforgivable. I would have liked to have been a fly on the wall when the agent told him the move had fallen through.
In contrast MGW seems genuinely excited to be given an opportunity to play first team football.

Pretty much as I see it. The glaring problems have finally been addressed. Would have loved the wingers too but we managed to get promoted before without any. The Collado one was an odd one. He didn't seem keen to come here at all, so I have a feeling that we may have dodged a bullet there. We can do without another player who thinks he is too good to be here imo. He should sack his agent if the rumours are true. Being stuck playing reserve football for 4 months due to your agent trying to line his pocket at the players expense is unforgivable. I would have liked to have been a fly on the wall when the agent told him the move had fallen through.
In contrast MGW seems genuinely excited to be given an opportunity to play first team football.
Think there's still a glaring problem that exists,we went for Viera and it didn't happen, so a ball winning defensive minded player who can play in front of the back 4 and distribute the ball forwards.Maybe Guedioura will take this role in the short term,a younger player is needed.

I'm trying to remember the last time everybody on here was happy after a window

Was it the one where we brought Berge in, or am I kidding myself and it's never happened ?

;)

although we didnt get the 2 foreign wingers nobody can say were not stronger after this window than we were before also think this 35 year old defensive midfielder will sign so slav has vastly improved our midfield options which everybody on this forum was asking for mcburnie and brewster have to come up with the goods now no more excuses for them not to produce
Benjamin Bloom disagrees !

Well that's it then,
where doomed doomed I tell you,
WHERE ALL DOOMED !!!
BENJAMIN BLOOM DISAGREES !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Who's he then ? ......:confused:

Poor window. We've essentially set fire to circa 5 million with no big improvements being made to the squad. We are storing up problems for later too: our squad is genuinely scary in the summer. We should've been bringing three or four permanents in this window to address this. The players we have loaned don't have a permanent option in their deal so back to square one there too. In my view we should've also moved more players on but we want too much for them. It's unfathomable that the likes of Burke are still here with all the interest. Our manager likes three up top but still can't play it too.

Better than burning £50m+ on the likes of Brewster, McBurnie, Burke, Lowe and making the squad worse!

Back
Top Bottom