Some thoughts on our transfer business

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Perhaps there’s another element to this. After the start we’ve had and the risible football we’re showing on the pitch, there was no interest from some of the better quality targets? This window should give Slav the tools to steady the ship and bring some shape to the team. A good run through to January and we might see an influx and the binning of Brewster and McPub if they are still misfits.
In terms of wingers, I expect to see some redeployment - Bogle and Freeman for instance? and maybe the introduction of youngsters. I live in hope
UTB

The team needed a boost, and they've done it with out tying the club down to any more big money long term contract signings.
We've been told by the supporters of other clubs our manager has been at he's not the one for overnight fixers, he is more slow burn with a big finish, so lets not get our knickers in a twist just yet girls , eh.......... ;)

Don't really get all the negativity we've clearly strengthened significantly.

The full clear out needed was never going to happen this summer.

We've a bloated squad, too many on fat Championship contracts or much more than their ability warrants, who are on the decline or simply not good - with no inherent resale value. Norwood, McG, Fleck, Stevens, Sharp, Basham, Robinson, Burke, JOC (unfortunately) isn't even exhaustive.

Loans are kicking the can down the road, but until we can get bodies out of the door we aren't going to be able to recruit the calibre of players who can get us promoted and keep us in the Premier League.

In terms of the players brought in, i can't see anything but positives.

Olsen - International GK, who's played at the highest level and only 31.
Davies - Top end championship defender
Hourihane - 3 consecutive play off finals? Goals, assists, progressive passing, set pieces?
MGW - very exciting and different to what we've got. Apparently excellent at Swansea before injury.

Particularly the 3 outfield players are superior to those likely to be replacing.

Wingers would have been great and given some flexibility, but the way some on here talk about 532/352 as if its simply broken and there's only one type of way of playing are a bit short sighted.

Poor window. We've essentially set fire to circa 5 million with no big improvements being made to the squad. We are storing up problems for later too: our squad is genuinely scary in the summer. We should've been bringing three or four permanents in this window to address this. The players we have loaned don't have a permanent option in their deal so back to square one there too. In my view we should've also moved more players on but we want too much for them. It's unfathomable that the likes of Burke are still here with all the interest. Our manager likes three up top but still can't play it too.
Surely we should give the new arrivals and the team as a whole half a dozen matches before we decide the window was not good enough. It does of course depend on what you expect the season to produce : if automatic promotion then you may be right, but steadying the ship whilst we rebuild is probably ok.

Perhaps there’s another element to this. After the start we’ve had and the risible football we’re showing on the pitch, there was no interest from some of the better quality targets? This window should give Slav the tools to steady the ship and bring some shape to the team. A good run through to January and we might see an influx and the binning of Brewster and McPub if they are still misfits.
In terms of wingers, I expect to see some redeployment - Bogle and Freeman for instance? and maybe the introduction of youngsters. I live in hope
UTB
I think your hope is shared and based on the reality that this squad is now better than it was three weeks ago.

although we didnt get the 2 foreign wingers nobody can say were not stronger after this window than we were before also think this 35 year old defensive midfielder will sign so slav has vastly improved our midfield options which everybody on this forum was asking for mcburnie and brewster have to come up with the goods now no more excuses for them not to produce

We can really only play one way now for 4 months. Both the wingers mentioned seemed like really exciting editions, but for players we needed so desperately surely it was worth guaranteeing a 7/10 player and not both of these 10/10s (add Diallo to that) at the last minutes of the window.

Especially when we have really been needing a direct, pacey wide player probably since Brooks - just to allow us an option B

I think the biggest issue with the window is the lack of transparency from the club. If Bettis/the Prince or whoever else were to come out and say that with Covid, the lack of fans and big signings + wage increases in the last couple of years, we don't have the money to spend on big fees and for the next year or two, will have to use loan signings and look for good bargains before we can do a full rebuild, that's fine and potentially a sign of a well run club. We may have only been looking at the loan market which naturally heats up towards the end of the window when other permanents have gone through and clubs have there squad in place, rather than it being incompetence from the board by leaving it so late.

However, by there being no communication with the fans, we are unsure and left to speculate whether this is the case or it's either incompetence from the board on signings, whether the Prince is using us as a cash cow or to bolster his wider United World or any of the other theories people have on the situation. I like to believe that the Prince has the best interests of the club, maybe delusion from me, but a bit of transparency and communication with the fans would help so much in this situation.

UTB
Agree with this. As well as Freeman and Bogle, Ndiya, MGW and Brewster could all possibly play out wide before even mentioning Burke. CDM worries me more than wingers to be honest.

I think the biggest issue with the window is the lack of transparency from the club. If Bettis/the Prince or whoever else were to come out and say that with Covid, the lack of fans and big signings + wage increases in the last couple of years, we don't have the money to spend on big fees and for the next year or two, will have to use loan signings and look for good bargains before we can do a full rebuild, that's fine and potentially a sign of a well run club. We may have only been looking at the loan market which naturally heats up towards the end of the window when other permanents have gone through and clubs have there squad in place, rather than it being incompetence from the board by leaving it so late.

However, by there being no communication with the fans, we are unsure and left to speculate whether this is the case or it's either incompetence from the board on signings, whether the Prince is using us as a cash cow or to bolster his wider United World or any of the other theories people have on the situation. I like to believe that the Prince has the best interests of the club, maybe delusion from me, but a bit of transparency and communication with the fans would help so much in this situation.

It's the Sheffield United way! As a new member let me set your mind at ease - no one on here ever speculates. 👀

Difficult one I guess. They probably need to be conscious of not tipping their hand about finances when they are negotiating etc. but a bit more communication would certainly dampen down the wild expectations that we were going to be spending big

Difficult one I guess. They probably need to be conscious of not tipping their hand about finances when they are negotiating etc. but a bit more communication would certainly dampen down the wild expectations that we were going to be spending big
Absolutely agree they can't come out and give out too much detail on the finances that would negatively affect our negotitating position for a transfer. But as a multi million pound business, we should be able to hire somebody in communications/strategy that can effectively speak to the fans and be open about the overall strategy, helping to manage fan exceptions, without giving away information that will be detrimental when dealing with transfers.

Either way, we are in a much stronger position with the squad than we were a week ago so don't want to be doing too much moaning! Let's hope we can turn around this start to the season after the international break.

Not getting any of the sexy wingers was a big let down,not getting one of those overwhelmed the other signings for me,we will still be stuck with the formation fuckup until January.Expect to see more sq peg round hole player involvement out wide for parts of games.

Still feel like this.
Bored.gif

Absolutely agree they can't come out and give out too much detail on the finances that would negatively affect our negotitating position for a transfer. But as a multi million pound business, we should be able to hire somebody in communications/strategy that can effectively speak to the fans and be open about the overall strategy, helping to manage fan exceptions, without giving away information that will be detrimental when dealing with transfers.

Either way, we are in a much stronger position with the squad than we were a week ago so don't want to be doing too much moaning! Let's hope we can turn around this start to the season after the international break.
The season begins here really, we can only tell if the recruitment and retention of players up to this point was successful or not. I wonder if the fans forum will happen and what will come out of that. I’m understanding of the board if they tell us that they are having to cut their cloth accordingly to ensure the stability of the club. You only have to look close by to see the financial mess gambling on the PL can bring. I completely get that having parachute money make this the best time to get back but equally I want a club to support in the years ahead too. A fine balance to negotiate which is always easier as a fan rather than the people actually having to pay the bills.

Happy with the signings we've made, all of which should improve the squad, particularly in midfield however it does feel like we're still a body or two light there considering how much dead weight we're still carrying in that area of the field. Glad we got Olsen over the line too.

No wingers makes it look like we'll still be doing 3 at the back or persisting with Burke and ANother on the opposite side if Slav wants to run that system now. Something we could re-visit in January if we can get shut of some players early who are coming to the end of their deals but at the moment all that matters is getting some fresh blood into the squad and getting a few points on the board regardless of how we do it.

Burke has stayed because we've not successfully brought any wingers in. If we had he would have gone no doubt about it.

As it is we have none and as poor as he is Burke can play that position. I wouldn't wouldn't him starting but as back up until January he'll have to do.

What this window has done is force Slav in to keeping the 352 for another 4 months unless he's got a masterplan to convert bogle or ndaiye. Hopefully we've now got the players to give some of the mainstays a kick up the arse they've needed for 18 months and to improve the first XI which we've not done in the last 3 windows.
Burke has stayed because he’s paid a fortune, but actually “earns” less than me.

Having witnessed his incompetence first hand, I’d be amazed if he’s still part of the manager’s plans.

I don’t really see the issues with loans, considering new blood is needed and we’ve spent £100m+ with me return.

People seem to view that as being skint, I tend to look at it as wise business.

I get why the club wouldn't want to gamble more on transfer fees right now. That said if our business could have been done earlier it would help but we are going for loans not permanent deals so we see clubs leave it to the last minute to allow a loan out.

think not getting these 2 wingers in gives nydiaye a great opportunity to get in the matchday 18 even if its only from the bench doubt we will be going up or down this season so surely a time to bring these 3 or 4 good young prospects in

Don't really get all the negativity we've clearly strengthened significantly.

The full clear out needed was never going to happen this summer.

We've a bloated squad, too many on fat Championship contracts or much more than their ability warrants, who are on the decline or simply not good - with no inherent resale value. Norwood, McG, Fleck, Stevens, Sharp, Basham, Robinson, Burke, JOC (unfortunately) isn't even exhaustive.

Loans are kicking the can down the road, but until we can get bodies out of the door we aren't going to be able to recruit the calibre of players who can get us promoted and keep us in the Premier League.

In terms of the players brought in, i can't see anything but positives.

Olsen - International GK, who's played at the highest level and only 31.
Davies - Top end championship defender
Hourihane - 3 consecutive play off finals? Goals, assists, progressive passing, set pieces?
MGW - very exciting and different to what we've got. Apparently excellent at Swansea before injury.

Particularly the 3 outfield players are superior to those likely to be replacing.

Wingers would have been great and given some flexibility, but the way some on here talk about 532/352 as if its simply broken and there's only one type of way of playing are a bit short sighted.
We're better than we were, but not as good as we wanted to be! (Probably)

I believe that the additions we've made in midfield have put a lot of pressure onto several players in the dressing room, obviously the main ones are fleck and Norwood but I think all of the strikers will now be feeling a little stressed, because I have to admit I've given mcburnie, Brewster and sharp a lot of slack as regards not scoring due to the Ineptitude of the midfield behind them, but I genuinely feel that chances are going to be created so they are going to be put firmly in the spotlight. The new keeper has a free ride with the fans as he without question is far superior to what we had, I'm saying that with absolutely no knowledge of him

1. Happy with all of the incomings to one degree or another. Olsen could be very good in this league and is a big upgrade on Wes and Verrips. The 2 midfielders would have to be very bad to be worse than what we have, and they could have a lot of upside. I'm not 100% sold on Davies but again he's an upgrade on the in house alternatives.

2. The squad is certainly better than it was this time last week. I suppose the Algerian lad might come too making the dream of no Fleck, Berge or Norwood on the pitch a possibility.

3. Just bringing in loans is kicking the can down the road on a squad rebuild and is another sign we are potless but if I'd spent over 40 million on Brewster and McBurnie I wouldn't want to spend much either.

4. I am slightly disappointed Jebbison was loaned out but at least we will find out if he's any good.

5. the most glaring omission, of course, is the failure to bring in wide men. We tried to do this and it seems to have collapsed on us. Doing business earlier might have helped, I suppose. This makes me wonder what formation the manager will use, because the players we have do not lend themselves to him using a formation that has made him successful in the past. If there's little variation on what we are doing at the moment, a number of players are really going to have to buck their ideas up.

6. Shame we couldn't get rid of more of the players who are not contributing but their contracts are millstones for us. And people have seen them play.

7. I don't think the upgrades will see us in the top 6, but they should hopefully be enough to see us higher than 23rd.
Nice summary, i agree in parts, but i will try to respond from a slightly different angle.

I think overall we've had some success in bringing players in. I think the disappointment is perhaps in the exit door, there hasn't been enough, but i appreciate that because we haven't strengthened in all positions, we could be short on bodies if we get a couple of injuries.

GK - We've replaced Ramsdale with Olsen in the short term. This for me is smart business as it allows us to not be weighed down with an expensive GK beyond next season, given our current position, this is wise. Olsen certainly looks a decent, solid GK and with Foderingham as back up, i'm comfortable that. Verrips really should be pushed out of the door. I'm all for giving chances, but i think with him we're as well playing with 10 men.

Def - Obvious one, we've brought Davies in, Wilders target to fill that CB/ LCB role and it therefore keeps us with the option to play a back 3 or a back 4. Can't disagree with this. I guess any sort of sustained period out for Bash is dealt with by switching to a back 4.

Fullbacks/ Wingbacks / Wingers - I know we tried to strengthen with two wingers, neither getting over the line. The Barca playboy would've been a very decent aquistion on paper and perhaps we can still make it happen. I don't really want to see us fitting the square pegs into round holes and playing Ozzy, Freeman, Brewster, Bogle, Burke as wingers, so we either stick with wing backs supporting the back 3 or we look at a 4-3-3. Norington-Davies and Baldock are the clear front runners for the L and RWB positions.

Central Mid - Hourihane and Gibbs-White coming in again look positive, it will certainly take the pressure off the current Midfield three to play every game but puts the pressure on them to perform. Lets face it, when the options from the bench are busy, yet ineffective players like Ozzy and Freezy, the Midfield are under no pressure to perform to their highest levels. I'm slightly worried that we still don't have enough guile in that midfield, given that we didn't get any game changing midfielders, we could still be quite lightweight and nice in there. If we weren't successful with wingers then we really need some physicality in the middle of the park. I don't believe that in Hourihane or Gibbs-White, from what i've understood about them both, that we have enough physicality.

Strikers - Good to see Jebbison get out on loan, i think he needs to go away and knuckle down in a new environment to get some regular experience. What worries me still up front is that Billy is getting on and won't play every game, but he is still the most consistent goal scorer in the squad, he's the most reliable finisher and he's the only true out and out striker. I think Mousse is possibly the next best thing, but we can't rely on him to play enough games or complete full games. He's a handful on his day, but those days are so few and far between. Brewster is perhaps too raw, too low on confidence and just needs a break, though the more i see him play, the less convinced i am with him. McBurnie and Didsy, both out of form, both poor finishers but they are the workhorse (as opposed to carthorse) strikers. We need them both to be grafting whether thats McBurnie causing havoc for the opposition in both boxes or if thats Didsy dropping out and linking play between the midfield, i think they have a vital role to play alongside the goalscoring strikers. Burke is perhaps best suited to being another workhorse (ok he really is a carthorse) but he's also useful to bring into games late on to stretch teams with pace and decoy runs. We've kind of got to go with what we have up top.

I've not mentioned the younger players coming through, i don't think we should be relying on them for more than 10 games a season, but i see a few on them making strides into the first team later in the season, especially if results and performances improve.

The big question for me with the window, having watched the first few games of the season is that we sit too deep, we don't press teams and we don't break the lines and its whether the arrivals will address that.

In the past, under Wilder we relied on a very organised defensive structure, regardless of the formation. It seems that last season and this season, we've lost that. I think adding a solid GK and Davies as well as Norrington-Davies, we have at least attempted to plug those gaps. We need Olsen and Egan to step up and command the defence and get hold of the midfield.

In terms of Attacking threats, yes we've brought a fairly creative midfielder in with Hourihane, he'll certainly be more interesting to watch on set pieces than Norwood and Fleck, but he's not going to change games in an instant. He's not the Duffy type, from what i understand. Gibbs-Wright, the one i know the least about, my info only comes from the Wolves fan on here. On one hand he sounds like an exciting prospect to slot into that midfield, but he also sounds like another busy player, the type of which we already have a few.

So i don't see how we're going to break through teams, unless Slav reverts somewhat to the attacking wingbacks and overlapping CB's then there is little in terms of pace and power to worry teams. Perhaps Hourihane and Berge will be given more freedom to get forward, link play and also have a few game changing cracks at goal. We may look to move the ball faster with better ball playing midfielders and attacking wingbacks, but again, they need some movement in the box for this.

I don't want to suggest that its a bad transfer window, i think each player has their merits and will improve the first 11 and the depth of the squad. But i think there are two areas of concern from this window:
a) Going off what Slav was talking about last week, we needed another 4-5 players on top of Davies. We got 3.
b) Two players that appeared to be close based on more reliable media sources, Callado (Barca - deal broke down late on for financial demands) and Karamoh (Parma - WP problems), i think both were reported to have completed their medicals. Given that we failed in these two aquisitions, i can only assume that Slav really wanted a winger or two. So perhaps this is linked to point a) but its something which could've given us a wider stretch to the side and could've attempted to answer the question regarding breaking through the back lines.

I guess we will have to see how things play out, we've got 4 new players to bed in over the international break and few players that can also benefit from a break.

I think we now have potential to see a big upturn from all of the strikers. For a long time now they have known that they were going to get hardly any scoring chances, therefore there was huge pressure to score the few chances they did get and they haven't coped with that pressure. With the creation of far more chances, which I think will now happen, the pressure to score every one will be lifted and they might just get back into the habit of not having to snatch at every chance they do get.

As some others have mentioned the loan players will give us further time to look at/try some of the younger lads coming through form the U23s. Slav apparently has a reputation for giving youth a chance. It is difficult to see us mounting a serious challenge for a play off spot (never mind an automatic slot) so may be if we can attain mid table comfort Slav can start to play some of the youth players. MGW is I think only 21 but has plenty of first team playing experience but we have lads of that age who have none. Is that because they aren't good enough or that we have just not given them a chance?

Back
Top Bottom