Some thoughts on our transfer business

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Revolution

Reaction score
1. Happy with all of the incomings to one degree or another. Olsen could be very good in this league and is a big upgrade on Wes and Verrips. The 2 midfielders would have to be very bad to be worse than what we have, and they could have a lot of upside. I'm not 100% sold on Davies but again he's an upgrade on the in house alternatives.

2. The squad is certainly better than it was this time last week. I suppose the Algerian lad might come too making the dream of no Fleck, Berge or Norwood on the pitch a possibility.

3. Just bringing in loans is kicking the can down the road on a squad rebuild and is another sign we are potless but if I'd spent over 40 million on Brewster and McBurnie I wouldn't want to spend much either.

4. I am slightly disappointed Jebbison was loaned out but at least we will find out if he's any good.

5. the most glaring omission, of course, is the failure to bring in wide men. We tried to do this and it seems to have collapsed on us. Doing business earlier might have helped, I suppose. This makes me wonder what formation the manager will use, because the players we have do not lend themselves to him using a formation that has made him successful in the past. If there's little variation on what we are doing at the moment, a number of players are really going to have to buck their ideas up.

6. Shame we couldn't get rid of more of the players who are not contributing but their contracts are millstones for us. And people have seen them play.

7. I don't think the upgrades will see us in the top 6, but they should hopefully be enough to see us higher than 23rd.

Poor window. We've essentially set fire to circa 5 million with no big improvements being made to the squad. We are storing up problems for later too: our squad is genuinely scary in the summer. We should've been bringing three or four permanents in this window to address this. The players we have loaned don't have a permanent option in their deal so back to square one there too. In my view we should've also moved more players on but we want too much for them. It's unfathomable that the likes of Burke are still here with all the interest. Our manager likes three up top but still can't play it too.

Poor window. We've essentially set fire to circa 5 million with no big improvements being made to the squad. We are storing up problems for later too: our squad is genuinely scary in the summer. We should've been bringing three or four permanents in this window to address this. The players we have loaned don't have a permanent option in their deal so back to square one there too. In my view we should've also moved more players on but we want too much for them. It's unfathomable that the likes of Burke are still here with all the interest. Our manager likes three up top but still can't play it too.
The stumbling block with shifting players must be the large gap between fees paid/wages and what the players are worth: Burke is the best example of this, but there are others.

Someone at the club needs to get more of a grip on sunk costs, and the concept of amortisation.

Burke has stayed because we've not successfully brought any wingers in. If we had he would have gone no doubt about it.

As it is we have none and as poor as he is Burke can play that position. I wouldn't wouldn't him starting but as back up until January he'll have to do.

What this window has done is force Slav in to keeping the 352 for another 4 months unless he's got a masterplan to convert bogle or ndaiye. Hopefully we've now got the players to give some of the mainstays a kick up the arse they've needed for 18 months and to improve the first XI which we've not done in the last 3 windows.

Lots of deals broke down at the last minute yesterday and it seems to be a combination of selling clubs doubling the price offered when a buyer approaches them and buying clubs trying to lowball them. All very much a follow on effect of Covid and the loss of income from the past year. I think, in the circumstances we had a good window but it’s now up to the players on the pitch to create chances and our strikers to score them

Very underwhelmed with our transfer window. The keeper sounds like a decent signing but

Davies hasn’t looked up to much so far. Looks like a defender who can’t tackle.

Hourihane always plays well against us but not sure he’s the game changer we needed in midfield, hopefully he’s more mobile than Fleck/Norwood and can actually beat the first man from set pieces.

MGW might be another Ampadu or might be decent. He’s never strung more than 5 starts together though so I can see him getting injured and not impacting

The exciting players we looked to sign haven’t come in, it smacks of inept administration. When you hear things like ‘visa troubles’, surely we know this before we start trying to sign these people, we just never seem to learn.

Pessimistic view I know, but it’s what I expect from us based on recent behaviour.

Burke has stayed because we've not successfully brought any wingers in. If we had he would have gone no doubt about it.

As it is we have none and as poor as he is Burke can play that position. I wouldn't wouldn't him starting but as back up until January he'll have to do.

What this window has done is force Slav in to keeping the 352 for another 4 months unless he's got a masterplan to convert bogle or ndaiye. Hopefully we've now got the players to give some of the mainstays a kick up the arse they've needed for 18 months and to improve the first XI which we've not done in the last 3 windows.
If it's 3-5-2 then we have 1 senior CB back-up and that's Robinson (and he can only cover one of the three positions). We're basically relying on kids to step up and in case of a serious injury play every game. I feel we've learned nothing from last year.

As much as I am disappointed about Collado the priority for me was a) a good goalkeeper and b) improving the midfield, both have been achieved.

Yes we wanted wide men but that awful flat midfield has been the major problem over the last 2 years, no creativity and awful defensively. The signings will provide for creativity and spark for sure.

Wide men remains a problem but with a better midfield who knows, Burke might click, (just like Ramsdale last season) and we have to now look seriously at Illiam Ndaiye, if he's as good as they say get him involved....Slav has never had a problem sticking the kids in at previous clubs...

1. Happy with all of the incomings to one degree or another. Olsen could be very good in this league and is a big upgrade on Wes and Verrips. The 2 midfielders would have to be very bad to be worse than what we have, and they could have a lot of upside. I'm not 100% sold on Davies but again he's an upgrade on the in house alternatives.

2. The squad is certainly better than it was this time last week. I suppose the Algerian lad might come too making the dream of no Fleck, Berge or Norwood on the pitch a possibility.

3. Just bringing in loans is kicking the can down the road on a squad rebuild and is another sign we are potless but if I'd spent over 40 million on Brewster and McBurnie I wouldn't want to spend much either.

4. I am slightly disappointed Jebbison was loaned out but at least we will find out if he's any good.

5. the most glaring omission, of course, is the failure to bring in wide men. We tried to do this and it seems to have collapsed on us. Doing business earlier might have helped, I suppose. This makes me wonder what formation the manager will use, because the players we have do not lend themselves to him using a formation that has made him successful in the past. If there's little variation on what we are doing at the moment, a number of players are really going to have to buck their ideas up.

6. Shame we couldn't get rid of more of the players who are not contributing but their contracts are millstones for us. And people have seen them play.

7. I don't think the upgrades will see us in the top 6, but they should hopefully be enough to see us higher than 23rd.

We’re obviously stronger than we were, but still have limited tactical options without proper any wide men. So 2 signings short of what I thought was needed, and I remain pessimistic.

And, whilst I see the temptation, I don’t like loans. Haven’t since Blackwell overused them, allowing the underlying squad to regress to relegation standards. If the underperforming contracted players don’t perk up, we’ve just delayed a huge rebuild. The fundamental weaknesses I see still need to be properly addressed.

The academy needs to deliver for us more than ever, but why no takers for our youngsters in the window? Do we intend to use them?

All that said, could we have expected much better given our financial situation? Only the board knows the sums.

I don’t really see the issues with loans, considering new blood is needed and we’ve spent £100m+ with me return.

People seem to view that as being skint, I tend to look at it as wise business.
Seeing alot of people moaning about loans. I agree I think loans are fine at this stage tbh. At least until we untangle the web of mismatch of players that Wilder left us

We’re obviously stronger than we were, but still have limited tactical options without proper any wide men. So 2 signings short of what I thought was needed, and I remain pessimistic.

And, whilst I see the temptation, I don’t like loans. Haven’t since Blackwell overused them, allowing the underlying squad to regress to relegation standards. If the underperforming contracted players don’t perk up, we’ve just delayed a huge rebuild. The fundamental weaknesses I see still need to be properly addressed.

The academy needs to deliver for us more than ever, but why no takers for our youngsters in the window? Do we intend to use them?

All that said, could we have expected much better given our financial situation? Only the board knows the sums.
I’ve got similar reservations about only bringing in loans but the difference with Blackwell was partly the standard of player and partly that a lot of them were short term (3 months or so).

I guess it’s the only option given the big money spent on players that are impossible to shift. Additionally there is every chance we will have a different manager come June 2022 so easier to reshape the squad.

Think not getting a winger or two, is a misstep. We’re still wedded to a system which has stopped working. If the lad from Wolves gets injured we’re still lacking mobility, incision and quality delivery to create chances for the strikers.

Happy with the players we got, but not getting a winger was a real let down.

I don't know what made the Collado deal collapse at the 11th hour, but in all honesty that one felt far too good to be true. If it was down to the player getting last minute cold feet, or another agent trying to shaft us, the fuck them. I hope he rots in the Barca reserves.

If however it was down to us, then the recruitment team deserve all the anger that Slav might throw at them and it is ridiculous that we put all our eggs in that one basket anyway.

At least midfield and the back line are stronger than a few weeks ago. I am fairly confident that we will climb the table now. Hopefully we can fix our lack if width in January and a potential play off push might be more attractive for potential signings.

In terms of wingers, Freeman has played there in the past. Could we possibly use him on the left? Or, as an inverted winger on the right (maybe to compensate for the lack of pace).

Loans tide us over without squad bloat come the end of the season - all 4 improve the first team, hopefully enough to bring about an improvement in some of our other players.

It’s kicking the can down the road a bit, but I’m not sure there is a quick fix for having a dozen first teamers on decent contracts forgetting how to run and kick a ball all at the same time.

Poor window. We've essentially set fire to circa 5 million with no big improvements being made to the squad. We are storing up problems for later too: our squad is genuinely scary in the summer. We should've been bringing three or four permanents in this window to address this. The players we have loaned don't have a permanent option in their deal so back to square one there too. In my view we should've also moved more players on but we want too much for them.
If only we had a good collection of young players somewhere ready to step in if we don’t get up this season and we need to ditch a considerable amount of cost ?

Not sure if it is glass half full or half empty. I think getting Olsen in at the last minute saved the day it would have been bad with Wes and Verrips as regular starters. At least we have got two midfielders in who WILL be an upgrade on Fleck and Norwood shame we didn't get a couple of wingers in though. The two we have got I think will bring the best out of Berge who has been carrying the other two incumbents so far. The squad has been strengthened but we still need more. The biggest disappointment for me is that it has taken two football managers publicly calling the boardroom out to finally get a slight bit of action into the recruitment team. You really can't be inactive in this sport or you are left behind, putting faith in the players already here might well have thrown this season down the pan. I hope not, I think the best we can hope for is to struggle on until January and see where we are then maybe get rid of the dead wood and make a push for the play off's. It is rather galling that the grunters for all their troubles have recruited a whole new team while we fuck about with loans and work visa's. Fail this year and those S6 bastards will catch us up and that can't be allowed to happen when 12 months ago we were light years ahead of them.

even though we sold rammy we must still owe money on mcburnie brewster and berge so think thats the main reason nobody has come in on a permanent none of those 3 have gone anywhere and although im hopeful with berge now weve added to midfield mcburnie and brewster really have to start performing for a combined 43m weve had no value out of either of them just a shame we couldnt bring thd 2 foreign wingers in

I was buzzing with the business up until about 10:30pm last night before realising that neither of the wingers were coming in. That’s a massive fuck up, there’s no dressing it any other way.
The upside as stated is that it pushes Ndiaye a bit further up the pecking order but relying on a lad that’s played a total of about 30 first team minutes is a bit of an ask. We also need for either Freeman or Burke to pull their fingers out sharpish if we are looking to play Slav’s preferred system.

My big hope is that it’s the end of Norwood and Fleck. That probably gets us 20 yards further up the pitch and on the front foot a bit more. If Guedioura also comes in then it potentially releases MGW to play wider.

What the club may have done is bought time and hopefully avoided back to back relegations. If they don't see that we need permanent signings early next summer then they are in the wrong business.

My thoughts are that the window perfectly reflected where we are as a club: without a plan.

We've known we'll be in this division for months, yet have waited until the last 2 days to complete any meaningful business.
Due to our lack of planning, and letting it run so late, we've failed to bring a single winger or wide forward.

I'm addition, all the business we've done we're loan deals, meaning we'll be in the exact same position this time next year. Loan deals should be used to supplement the 1st team, instead we're going to build a side around loan players.

The signings have prevented an army of shoeless blades in the cark park; they will appease some, but they will not be enough to deliver promotion,

Keeper, midfield, wings & strikers have all been discussed in detail so won’t add to that other than to agree that we have strengthened in some areas but not others.

But my other concern is defence. Opposition coaches only have to look at the West Brom game to see what a direct approach and a bit of arial bombardment in the box will get you against us.

Hopefully the new keeper will be much more commanding, but we are still very frail and sadly I think we will leak all season. Given our strikers don’t score many, losses and draws are inevitable.

Hopefully with the 2 new midfield signings is the end of Fleck and Norwood, maybe bring more out of sander with better players around him.
Still a travesty that a squad our size doesn’t have a winger in it.

Back
Top Bottom