CONFIRMED Slaviša Jokanović

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

With Blessin and Jokanovic seemingly out of the running - unless there's any wildcards (or names not picked up by the media) that 5 man shortlist (on paper) is going to be weak as piss.

Tindall
Heckingbottom
Appleton? Robinson? Terry? Lennon?

Now It's kind of irrelevant who the name ends up being, if they win games of football, they'll get the fans on side.

But Christ these are uninspiring names.

With Blessin and Jokanovic seemingly out of the running - unless there's any wildcards (or names not picked up by the media) that 5 man shortlist (on paper) is going to be weak as piss.

Tindall
Heckingbottom

Now It's kind of irrelevant who the name ends up being, if they win games of football, they'll get the fans on side.

Those names just scream "Lets go back to League 1"

We'll have to wait a while yet to see imho but I do feel a little less confident of an inspiring appointment

Tindall
Heckingbottom

I don’t think Appleton would be that bad. He was hugely over-hyped when he started his career but since then, he’s gained a lot of experience, won a promotion and has done a good job at Lincoln. It can’t have been easy taking over from the Cowleys.

Similarly with Robinson, I watched a BT documentary on managers and, whilst I accept it was intended to make them look good, he did seem very thorough in everything he did.

I’d prefer either of those two to Tindall, basically a coach who’s proved he’s not a manager, Hecky who’s record suggests likewise, Lennon who tried his hand in England and failed and Terry who’s done nowt and proven nowt.

I said yesterday that Bettis’s mention of Hecky as a shortlisted candidate was softening us up for a shite appointment. It probably won’t be PH; it’s strikes me as classic expectation management for a bang average appointment. I’m calling it now. It’ll be Appleton or Robinson, framed within relief that it wasn’t Hecky. FFS.

Best we can hope for now is ismael lampard or wilder returns but unlikely

Do you think it could have been Tindall all along?

#rightunderoureyes!

If it’s not Blessin or Jokanovich then I’d rather us go for David Wagner than appoint any of the other names. He got Huddersfield promoted and kept them up for one season, if he isn’t good enough for the Prem then let’s worry about that when he’s got us up.

After reading a lot of posts on here I'm filled with dread that we're going to go for a cheap option as manager, I don't want Lennon or Heckinbottom I just hope we don't go down the David Weir road again and go for someone with zero experience.

If it’s not Blessin or Jokanovich then I’d rather us go for David Wagner than appoint any of the other names. He got Huddersfield promoted and kept them up for one season, if he isn’t good enough for the Prem then let’s worry about that when he’s got us up.
Agreed about Wagner, if its not SJ or EH I'd rather us appoint someone who's got a Championship promotion.

Tindall
Lennon
Terry
Heckingbottom
Blessin
Appleton

Haven't.

I said yesterday that Bettis’s mention of Hecky as a shortlisted candidate was softening us up for a shite appointment. It probably won’t be PH; it’s strikes me as classic expectation management for a bang average appointment. I’m calling it now. It’ll be Appleton or Robinson, framed within relief that it wasn’t Hecky. FFS.
The thing is, we don’t even know what the manager’s role is going to be. PA claimed him and Wilder disagreed on the transfer policy. That “the club” were recommending players like Coufal but Wilder wasn’t having it. At the same time he also said we weren’t having a DoF. So, are we looking for a manager who dictates transfer policy or one who’s effectively a head coach?

We still don’t really know what our budget is. We know we’re taking a financial hit but we’ve no idea what the relegation clauses in the players’ contracts are, how much their wages are going to be reduced by.

We’ve had Wilder saying the plan was to keep our squad together and we weren’t going to follow the plan. We’ve had PA saying he wants a manager who can do 352 because that’s what system suits our players, so where’s the deviation from the plan? What are we really looking to do?

Because different managers suit different jobs. Some want to be head coaches and rely heavily on a DoF to recruit the players they need. Others like total control over scouting and recruitment. Some managers are good at overhauling squads, others are good at tweaking existing squads. Some need big budgets, some are good at turd polishing.

We’re getting hung up about Slav because he did a good job at two clubs that I’d suggest are quite different to what we’ve been. I don’t want to fall into the trap like I did with Adkins in thinking because he’d done a good job elsewhere, he’ll automatically do a good job with us. But without knowing what PA’s vision for the club is, without really knowing what strengths we need in the next manager, I find it hard to really form a firm opinion on who we should be looking at.

I’ve found football has become very complex. It used to be, get a decent manager in, back him with a bit of cash and let him get on with it. Now it’s more about getting the right person to fit into a team of people who run the club, one who is suited to the specific job in hand.

The thing is, we don’t even know what the manager’s role is going to be. PA claimed him and Wilder disagreed on the transfer policy. That “the club” were recommending players like Coufal but Wilder wasn’t having it. At the same time he also said we weren’t having a DoF. So, are we looking for a manager who dictates transfer policy or one who’s effectively a head coach?

We still don’t really know what our budget is. We know we’re taking a financial hit but we’ve no idea what the relegation clauses in the players’ contracts are, how much their wages are going to be reduced by.

We’ve had Wilder saying the plan was to keep our squad together and we weren’t going to follow the plan. We’ve had PA saying he wants a manager who can do 352 because that’s what system suits our players, so where’s the deviation from the plan? What are we really looking to do?

Because different managers suit different jobs. Some want to be head coaches and rely heavily on a DoF to recruit the players they need. Others like total control over scouting and recruitment. Some managers are good at overhauling squads, others are good at tweaking existing squads. Some need big budgets, some are good at turd polishing.

We’re getting hung up about Slav because he did a good job at two clubs that I’d suggest are quite different to what we’ve been. I don’t want to fall into the trap like I did with Adkins in thinking because he’d done a good job elsewhere, he’ll automatically do a good job with us. But without knowing what PA’s vision for the club is, without really knowing what strengths we need in the next manager, I find it hard to really form a firm opinion on who we should be looking at.

I’ve found football has become very complex. It used to be, get a decent manager in, back him with a bit of cash and let him get on with it. Now it’s more about getting the right person to fit into a team of people who run the club, one who is suited to the specific job in hand.

That’s all fair enough. But ultimately whichever way you skin it, we want to manager who is most likely to deliver success as we have a single operational goal - promotion within the parachute payment window. If we are discounting managers who have the aptitude and track record to deliver our goal, because we are absolutely wedded to one way of doing things, then I would say that’s fairly poor strategic management. Football in one view isn’t complex at all in terms of assessing performance, it’s inherently outcome focussed, you are literally judged by results - it doesn’t really matter how you get there, just that you hit the operational target.

Jokanovic to me has always been the prime target - proven in winning promotions, good style of football, etc. Plus our budget must be comparatively good at this level as we have the parachute payments, a huge advantage over most of our rivals. We don’t have the time to introduce a “long term project” manager, or let a novice make their mistakes with us as they learn the role, as we’re not floating around in the Championship with nowt to lose.

Our last great Manager came from Northampton, and not too many were very impressed at the time.

My uneducated guess is that Jokanovic wanted too much money (his own wages and bonus's) to be manager and/or that he isn't seen as someone who's worked to a budget. Hence the links to Appleton and Robinson. There's obviously names on the list we don't know of, we can only hope that they don't include John Terry and Jason Tindall. I don't want Appleton either but he does have some experience at least and I can see the logic to interest in him if true.

Valérien Ismaël is the only choice I'd be happy with now. Can't be on huge wages and if Barnsley don't go up then I think we could pinch him... but we'll end up with Hecky,

That’s all fair enough. But ultimately whichever way you skin it, we want to manager who is most likely to deliver success as we have a single operational goal - promotion within the parachute payment window. If we are discounting managers who have the aptitude and track record to deliver our goal, because we are absolutely wedded to one way of doing things, then I would say that’s fairly poor strategic management. Football in one view isn’t complex at all in terms of assessing performance, it’s inherently outcome focussed, you are literally judged by results - it doesn’t really matter how you get there, just that you hit the operational target.

Jokanovic to me has always been the prime target - proven in winning promotions, good style of football, etc. Plus our budget must be comparatively good at this level as we have the parachute payments, a huge advantage over most of our rivals. We don’t have the time to introduce a “long term project” manager, or let a novice make their mistakes with us as they learn the role, as we’re not floating around in the Championship with nowt to lose.
It depends on what you mean by “we”. When I said “we’re getting hung up on Slav” I meant the supporters. If the club doesn’t know what type of manager SUFC need, we’re in trouble. Or, to put it bluntly, just because you or I think Slav is the right choice, it doesn’t mean he is, or that the club ie PA and his advisers agree.

The Poundland Prince probably couldn't ever afford Jokanovic, either that or Jokanovic probably wanted some semblance of a budget to play with & turned it down when he found out that the intention is to sell off all of our best players.

I suspect we'll fuck this up like we did with Robson. Heckingbottom or Tindall to stay on as yes men anyone?

Back
Top Bottom