Match Thread Sheffield United v. Liverpool - 28th February 2021

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Negatives- Ampadu, Mcburnie and Stevens. Pluses- Ramsdale, Bryan and Norwood. I hope all those saying Mcburnie just needs chances were watching tonight. Burke is Mcburnie with pace. Not a goalscorer.

When did we become so gutless, spineless and just roll over?!
We used to have a go at least and the other team would know they’d been in a game.
We’re dreadful at the minute, I can’t wait for this stinking season to finish

Are you joking? ... we’ve been a like a grenade with the pin out at the back since minute 1 and we’ve got a midfield like ‘Uterly Butterly’
Our entire midfield needs replacing. Maybe a couple can do a job in the Championship but none, bar a fully fit Berge, are PL quality. A massive mistake not improving this pre season.

He's been shocking hasnt he, looks tired, not interested, cant pass - lets hope that new contract is officially off the table.
So do I but, if by some horrendous twist, he stays, he’ll get battered by the crowd when we’re back in BDTBL

True but curious they didnt show the one above again though.

The first one they showed looked like it was out.

They showed the angle that’s directly in line with the goal line that showed it clearly in. Why would they bother showing an angle that clearly only looks in due to perspective?

When our subs come up I was trying to read them and then it was gone. Anyone notice our subs were up for like 3 seconds yet Liverpools sub lineup was up for 3 times as long ? Manager to read Foderingham and that was about it I couldnt tell you who the unused subs were apart from Brewster and that was because he was sat in the stand and it showed a picture of him.

The first one they showed looked like it was out.

They showed the angle that’s directly in line with the goal line that showed it clearly in. Why would they bother showing an angle that clearly only looks in due to perspective?
Shame Jags didn't hoof it out.

I had forgotten that we did have the intention of staying in the Premier League.
At some point that has passed me by.

The idea that the intention was something similar to Norwich is less moving the goalposts more turning them upside down and chopping them in half and having a game of rugby instead.

Wilder deserves another season with the fans back in.
Have nothing against Wilder, as such, but it is beyond me as to why he deserves anything.
As it appears he is staying put - let us hope he takes us back up next season.
Then what are we going to do once we get back in the Premier League? We will need someone who really knows about recruitment, bringing in quality, strengthening the team, etc.

Burke is Mcburnie with pace. Not a goalscorer.
He consistently creates gilt-edged chances from nothing, chances that only he could create, no other player on the pitch would make anything from the situation.

He then messes up said gilt-edged chance worse than anyone else in the stadium could mess it up, including all the backroom staff. If only he could learn to LOOK UP

Decent performance first half although lucky to go in level. Some great goalkeeping from Ramsdale kept us in it. Had a sniff ourselves as well. Second half we looked a bit less organised. Too many mistakes and too many players not prepared to take a chance. We could have scored they could have scored more. Given their laughable Turkish CB I'm surprised we didn't cause them more problems. Lots of HOOF, not much skill. Dreadful defending on both their goals. Jones unmarked for the first and TAA put the cross in too easily. Second, everyone just stood off Firminio and watched. Lucky deflection but poor.

Ramsdale - 8 - Kept us in it first half. Made himself big on several occasions and got a boot to shots. Bit lucky but you make your own luck. Came out a little wildly a couple of times but generally swept up well.
Stevens -5- Nice piece of skill going forward but always looked to be struggling at the back. Goals came from his side and not close enough to his man, at times
Bryan - 6 - Not the greatest performance but Probably the best of the CBs. Nice cross again but for obvious reasons didn't get forward much. More than Ampadu though. Again, goals came down his side and not close enough for the second.
Jags - 6 - Limited by his age but organises the defence well. Not the greatest of games but ok
Ampadu - 5.5 - Sloppy and panicky at the back. Lucky that Mane kept his feet at the end
Baldock - 5 - Got up and down but lacked quality going forward and Robertson had far too much room at the back. Looked like he was always struggling to keep up.
Fleck - 6 - Made a bad mistake and lucky to get into it but easily our best midfield. Put a lot of running in.
Norwood - 5.5 - Put some decent balls in today. Seemed to enjoy playing the deep quarterback role. Defensive side was pretty dreadful
Lundstram - 4 - I think he tried. Kind of. But he looks like someone remembering to try and not determined. Made to look a joke by Mane and he constantly passes it sideways or backwards.
McBurnie - 5 - Won much of his battle with their centre back but the ball didn't really stick or go anywhere. Looks clumsy at times but not helped by the HOOF.
McGoldrick - 6.5 - Involved with pretty much everything. Had a good chance saved first half and should have done better with a header which was offside anyway. Made a menace of the woeful Kabak. Subbed off bizarrely.

Subs

Burke - 5 - Looked threatening but there's no end product. Shot (probably) from a ridiculous angle and had one that wouldn't come down. His pace is so dangerous but he seems to be technically poor
Osborn - 4 - Wilder went for an extra man in midfield but hardly noticed him on the pitch
Sharp - 4 - Not sure he touched the ball

Wilder - 5.5 - Hard to judge him but Liverpool are on dreadful form and had lots of issues in midfield and defence. We caused a few threats and looked to play more on the front foot but all too often it was HOOF. This seemed to be the game plan early on and we only really looked better when we got it down to play. Bizarre substitutions.

Seems clear the Prince is following the same policy that’s worked for Norwich.
Nah I don't think so, i think something toxic is going on behind the scenes. Don't think Wilder wants to be here but won't resign and forfeit payoff. Don't think board want Wilder but can afford to pay him off whilst in debt paying everything else off.

He consistently creates gilt-edged chances from nothing, chances that only he could create, no other player on the pitch would make anything from the situation.

He then messes up said gilt-edged chance worse than anyone else in the stadium could mess it up, including all the backroom staff. If only he could learn to LOOK UP
Nailed it.

And Mane was the third Liverpool player he encountered without a red and white shirt coming from anywhere to help him.
He had the ball and just let Mane take it off him, pathetic for a 6 foot plus player he showed no strength whatsoever. Dont get me started on the free header he missed

Wilder deserves another chance to get us back up.
Maybe he is the right guy to get us back up, maybe he isn't, time will (potentially) tell. But 'deserves'? Not sure I agree with that. This is professional sport. He's done brilliantly up to this season, where he's done terribly.

My main concern would be trying to hit the ground running next season if we continue this turgid, demoralising football through to the end of the season. Would be a real turnaround. The other concern would be Wilder in the transfer market.

I agree but I think he'll quit at the end of the season. I expect the Prince will want a Director of football and Wilder will agree a pay off.
We definitely need one of those - if our recruitment is anything to go by.

Our entire midfield needs replacing. Maybe a couple can do a job in the Championship but none, bar a fully fit Berge, are PL quality. A massive mistake not improving this pre season.
I agree... it’s one area we all knew needed addressing

Back
Top Bottom