Match Thread Sheffield United v. Fulham - 18th October 2020

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

SUFC
SUFC
SUFC

Final

Final
Final
FULH
FULH
FULH
Status
Ratings for this match closed
  • Admin
1602874224393.png v. 1602874231828.png
EPL Week 5 - Sunday 18th October 2020 - Bramall Lane

Please keep all discussion related to the match within this thread.

Matchday Stats/Player Ratings
- https://www.s24su.com/forum/index.php?match-day/match/sheffield-united-vs-fulham.513/

Officials:

Referee:
Andre Marriner
Assistant Referee: Simon Long
Assistant Referee: Eddie Smart
Fourth Official: Michael Salisbury
Video Assistant Referee: Martin Atkinson
Additional Video Assistant Referee: Andy Halliday

Coverage:

Follow via S24SU Twitter
: https://twitter.com/s24su

📺 Live TV Coverage:

Screenshot 2020-10-16 at 19.52.34.png

Also available via BT Sport Box Office:

How to access BT Sport Box Office​

BT TV subscribers: You can buy and watch BT Sport Box Office events on BT TV. Go to channel 494 or 495 or to the BT Player.

Sky subscribers: If you have a Sky box and a Sky viewing card, you can buy a BT Sport Box Office event through your Sky account. If you do not subscribe to BT Sport, you must register and pay online with BT Sport Box Office first.

Virgin Media subscribers: Customers in the UK should visit the "On-Demand" section and choose "Live Events".

Online: Fans can watch on the web by first registering and paying online at BT Sport Box Office. Or they can watch on their iPhone, iPad, Android phone or tablet by downloading the BT Sport Box Office app from the Apple Store or Play Store.

EE, Three and O2 customers watching online or via the BT Sport Box Office app can add the payment to their mobile bill.

Don't chuck your everything is rosy in the garden & I'm a bigger Blade than you sh1t at fans that have been supporting for 50, 60 + years.

It's the fact that people have suffered many many heartbreaks & had umpteen sleepless nights because they care so much that gives them an insight into the probable outcome of this kind of start. Most that have been there during the previous 8 or 9 relegation are 'Reallists'. There is no answer but Happy Clapping, definitely isn't IMHO.

ah there's the classic "happy clapper" response 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣

No I don't think everything is perfect, or that I'm a "bigger Blade" whatever the fuck that means, I just don't give up on my team when the season has barely even started because I'm not a negative cretin

Did you miss the season when we went 16 games without a win and stayed up comfortably?
Never said I didn't hope I was wrong. That season though is the exception not rule. An extraordinary achievement & unlikely to ( hope I'm wrong) be matched.
& by the way I ran a coach away all that season at much cost to finances & my marriage.

Did you lot start supporting the Blades in the last 3 years? You need to get a hold of yourselves and realise how far we've come, stop being fucking negative and actually support your football club

Not here for grown men throwing their toys out the pram after a few games

Like 1966 actually. Unikely you been around that long. Some of us have seen it all before. And dont tell me about supporting my club seeing I've spent thousands travelling just for home games. Some posters need to get a grip.

Were you there when we got relegated out of the top two divisions for the first time in our history? And relegation to the fourth division? No didn't think so.

I note you can't answer the question? I'll repeat where are the other 37 points coming from with just 33 to go? At least under DB we had a strike force that could score goals.

Should have been 2:0 up at half time. At least. They started and finished better but we had the best of 30-35 minutes in the middle.

Vastly wasteful. A mix of poor final balls, poor decision and poor finishing. They were an absolute mess. Looked like they never played together.

Second half, we started well but they gradually got on top. In the end we were lucky that they were playing Mitrovic or we would have lost. They wasted so many breaks.

If we play like this in other games then we're going down, basically. And very easily.

The most worrying aspect was the performance. Despite creating so much we looked sloppy and slow (just less sloppy and slow than them)

Ransdale - 6.5 - Made some good saves. Made some bad errors. On another day would have been punished. Need to sharpen up his concentration levels.
Lowe - 6 - We were better with him on. Whether that was down to him or not. He game the ball away badly and was lucky not to be punished. He'll take some time to settle in.
Stevens - 7 - Best defender for me. Looked really good at LCB and did pretty well at LWB. Most of Fulham's attacks came down the other side. Put some good balls in and got forward well.
Egan - 6 - Looked shaky for me. Just got to a few things and just beaten to other. Looked slow to react to a few of their attacks.
Bash - 6.5 - Got forward well and but a couple of threatening balls in which we should have scored from. Generally defended well but should have been stronger on their goal.
Baldock - 6.5 Did well overall but most of the attacks game down the right hand side. Put some decent blocks and balls in. Looks a bit slower than two seasons ago. Noticeable today
Lunny - 4 - I completely forgot he was on the pitch second half. Started well and at least had a shot but wandered offside and doesn't make run when he's forward. Just kind of loiters, mostly offside
Norwood - 6 - Did a few things. Look tidy. Also almost lost it a few times due to being so slow to react. We look more dangerous going forward with him on the pitch though.
Berge - 6.5 - Our best midfielder. Look dangerous going forward but made the wrong decisions far too often. All there play came down our right second half, which was a little worrying.
McGoldrick - 5.5 - Nothing really worked for him. Put a shift in and tackled back (which was missed when he went off) but little going forward.
McBurnie - 4 - Fuck me. He gets a point for getting in good positions but miss after miss first half. He doesn't challenge for the ball with any conviction, unless it's in the penalty area!

Subs

Robinson - 4 - Look like an accident waiting to happen. Gave the penalty away and looked sloppy at the back. Threw the ball in to their keeper twice. Too slow, both on and off the ball. Our defence, as a unit, looked so much worse when he was on the pitch.
Brewster - 5 - Didn't get much but looked a bit all over the shop. Not surprising really given he's not had chance to train with the team.
Sharp - 5 - Scored the pen but pretty slow and ponderous apart from that

A game of two halfs. Formation looked to have worked first half with Berge much better down the right and Norwood getting us moving. Problem is you don't miss the chances we missed first half and expect to come away with a win. For all his effort and there was plenty to-day Mcb misses cost us three points. Half time 2 or 3 up and Fulham aren't coming back into the game.

Second half as happens with all teams we play Fulham adapt to our system and stop us playing. Mcg goes off understandably as it was a bonus he was starting to-day and we lose control of the middle of the park. All three midfield players are blowing out of their arses after an hour. Berge you can understand with three International games in the previous week the other two look out of condition as Fulham players leave them treading treacle. Unfortunately the Lowe injury means we only have one sub left so we leave it as it is in the middle and this leads to Fulham scoring their goal.

VAR for once helps us but by this time we are dead on our feet. There is nothing left in the tank and you have to ask what has happened to the conditioning of the team as Fulham swarm all over us and we are lucky to come away with a point.

Overall there has to be some relief that we looked like our old selves first half and we at least got a point on the board. Unfortunately there seem to be a number of problems that don't give any confidence that we can build on this. Conditioning wise, exceptions can be made for Berge and Stevens with International duty, the rest looked way off the pace in the last 30 minutes of the game. The continuing problem of a lack of aerial prowess in the defence continues. Robinsons moment of madness was a direct result of this. Mitrovic on another day would have scored two late headers. The folly of not replacing JOC in the transfer window is coming back to haunt us and will continue to do so. No matter how well we play we currently look liable to concede, something that didn't happen last season.

If games were 60 minutes in total I'd be a lot more confident we just have to try and hang in there for the next 3 or 4 games and hope a week on the training ground will improve fitness.

Its worrying how many opposing teams are winning headers in our area.
We are missing Jack so much. We don't appear to be nearly as fit this season.
So many International players isn't helping either!

Who knew we were in the 1975 FA Cup Final?

View attachment 95292

Clearly some sort of parody, but there's a lot to enjoy there.

Firstly, didn't Linda Carter play Wonder Woman? As for the errors:

• United obviously didn't play in the 1975 FA Cup Final
  • Fulham did, but they lost 2-0
  • It wouldn't have been United's first trophy, or first FA Cup. Indeed it would have been the fifth Cup win
  • Fulham haven't won anything beyond the lower leagues and the Intertoto Cup
  • John Collins and Collins John did both play for Fulham, but it was decades later
  • Collins and John were not at Fulham at the same time as each other
  • Only three teams will be relegated this season, not four, despite what Liverpool want
She's probably right about us both going down, though.

But we don't do class, we do graft, effort, hoof, attitude and versatility.
Class is for other teams, some have a lot, some have a bit, but no Premier League club has NONE

There are class defensive minded players but we will never ever ever have any quality class midfielders that can open up defences, it will never ever happen.
If we do stumble across one he'll be offloaded because he isn't back defending for 94 minutes and running around like a headless chicken.

Our players played last season like 38 cup ties against higher placed clubs
This season we're fucked
Fucking hell fella chill out if we go down so be it! It wouldn’t be in my top 5 disappointments being a Blade if we did!
we need to be at full tilt to get results one of these factors which quite obviously helps us is the lift they get from a crowd! Yes everyone is in same position but the way we play with the intensity we are probably struggling the most. Like I said if we get relegated so be it! We are a much stronger club than 5 years ago!

No I don't think everything is perfect, or that I'm a "bigger Blade" whatever the fuck that means, I just don't give up on my team when the season has barely even started because I'm not a negative cretin
Some people dont have the balls for a fight so just give up. I used to see it with team mates when I played. Go 1 nil down and their heads would drop, whereas it would fire me up. Season barely underway and they've already relegated us. It's pathetic, yep we are not playing well but there is long way to go. Let's hope our squad has more fight in them.

Don’t understand why we took Basham off & left 5”10 Robinson on against the big fucker Mitro. Could have eased a lot of pressure those last 5 minutes.

Again, Wilders methods just don’t make sense. Why insist on a left footed centre half when JL7 is playing LCM.
Maybe because Lunny can use his left foot?

Every team in this league has players that are quick and creative who can make something happen out of nothing, sadly we don’t have any
Have no idea why Wilder didn’t think this was a priority at the end of last season.

It was the same last season but we finished 9th....that’s because we had a better “team” than most others.
So he built on that..which makes sense.

We’ve probably just had our best ever transfer window
Its unbelievable to think we’ve just bought one of the best young keepers and best young strikers in the whole country.
We’ve also bought 2 young highly rated attacking wind backs to push Stevens and Baldock.

My issue is we‘ve been so reliant on the attacking wing back tactic that we have little creativity from midfield.
McGoldrick is still our most influential players linking midfield with attack. Suspect Wilder is well aware of this.

The great news is that he has 33 games to find a solution.

Who's given up??
Not sure where that comes from. Very concerned is the opposite of given up.

McBurnie Is a not PL class striker. I have never seen a striker head every presentable chance so close to the keeper. It’s pathetic.

Robinson is lucky Mitrovic bailed him out. Idiot.

Midfield tired badly after a good first half

Lowe was unlucky

Stevens was better than usual

We have no one at the club who can do what Lookman did

That was a harsh pen but I’ll take it

I was encouraged that we shot more

Both of those teams will be relegated, probably by some margin

Sharp has 99 Sheffield United league goals

It was the same last season but we finished 9th....that’s because we had a better “team” than most others.
So he built on that..which makes sense.

We’ve probably just had our best ever transfer window
Its unbelievable to think we’ve just bought one of the best young keepers and best young strikers in the whole country.
We’ve also bought 2 young highly rated attacking wind backs to push Stevens and Baldock.

My issue is we‘ve been so reliant on the attacking wing back tactic that we have little creativity from midfield.
McGoldrick is still our most influential players linking midfield with attack.
Kind of agree with you, but “highly rated” and “potential” don’t win you matches.
O Connell is a massive loss for us.

Have you ever seen Basham play the ball with his left foot?
Nit picking, but I believe he scored away at Derby with his left foot in the 18/19 season.

It just confuses me is all. Lundstram over Osborn in midfield suggests we are choosing personnel over left foot. I think Basham over Robinson in the back 4 is better & maybe even Ampadu over Robinson in the back 5 is better.

Don’t want to scapegoat Robinson, he is ok, but we have better options

Let’s just cling on and try and stay in touching distance by January, then find the money to get the signings we desperately DESPERATELY need.
I think you are dreaming! Find the money.........I am fairly sure we have spent this season's already, & who in their right mind would pump money they do not have into a team struggling to keep in touch?

I think the reality is, either we stay up by our fingernails, or go down with a strong team that we hopefully manage to keep together to mount a challenge to come straight back up.

I have said on 2-3 occasionsI think we will struggle until November December [bottom 6], but then we will start to pick up points, & just escape due to 9 of our final 12 games being against winnable opposition.

Ramsdale - 7
Lowe - n/a
Robinson - 4
Egan - 6
Basham - 6
Baldock - 5
Stevens - 5
Norwood - 4
Lundstram - 3
Berge - 9
McBurnie - 2
Mcgoldrick - 3

and as I went down the team I just realised how poor they all were today. Let’s make no mistake - we play like that against any other prem team we get beaten comfortably today. Error ridden and can’t link up in passages of play.

my biggest worry is that we were the fittest team in the league last year but now what?? We looked dead on our feet from 60 minutes, every one of them. We are also pretty boring compared to last year. Last year we won so many games on energy, fitness and out battling teams (we know we don’t have the quality) but that appears to have gone too. Worrying times.

some of our players we underperforming, but 2 players in particular stand out to me as nowhere near good enough quality wise - Robinson and Lundstram. Another fear is who the hell replaces them? When’s Fleck back?
Burge was a (9!) but thought Didzy (7) was very creative and although he was looking tired (after the internationals) think he should have stayed on, when he came off we lost a lot going forward, Lunny was pants (3) and should have been the one to go off. Mcburnie did a lot of work, linked up ok but missed three good chances that’s why he gets a (5), Robinson did well for me (6) Except for conceding the Penalty! Bash, Stevens and Baldock all did OK (5), expectedly the new boy didn’t really make an impact up front when he came on but not surprised early days (3) I was not sure about Rama’s but he is now looking a good keeper (9) saved us from defeat with some superb saves, great save from the penalty😂 All in all thought we were marginally the best team in the first half, but second half we were pant, very lucky to get a point! MOTM Sander Berge

Yeah good point . We lack height. The penalty arose out of the situation where Robinson threw his arm upwards trying to gain some extra leverage. A good job Mitrovic had a nightmare.

The most worrying aspect was the performance. Despite creating so much we looked sloppy and slow (just less sloppy and slow than them)
Agree.....I always say....performances are an indicator of future results.
Ironically we’ve not been bad in our early games...we’ve been very average BUT (unlike Fulham and WBA don‘t look a relegation team).

Even today we were decent 1st half...we definitely looked the better team creating plenty of half chances.
So when Brewster came on as sub on 64 minutes I was excited to see how he performed.

However the key was McGoldrick going off.....when McGoldrick goes off we struggle with build up play and just rely on long ball counter attacks.
The last 25 minutes with Brewster on the pitch was....for me....our worse spell of the season.
Brewster hardly touched the ball....we lost our composure as Fulham upped their game and began to dominate.

However the positives are .....for once overall we were slightly lucky today...and we didn’t lose....plenty of time left to turn things around.

Agree.....I always say....performances are an indicator of future results.
Ironically we’ve not been bad in our early games...we’ve been very average BUT (unlike Fulham and WBA don‘t look a relegation team).

Even today we were decent 1st half...we definitely looked the better team creating plenty of half chances.
So when Brewster came on as sub on 64 minutes I was excited to see how he performed.

However the key was McGoldrick going off.....when McGoldrick goes off we struggle with build up play and just rely on long ball counter attacks.
The last 25 minutes with Brewster on the pitch was....for me....our worse spell of the season.
Brewster hardly touched the ball....we lost our composure as Fulham upped their game and began to dominate.

However the positives are .....for once we were slightly lucky....and we didn’t lose....plenty of time left to turn things around.

They play a lot through Cairney who is far too slow for this level. He drops deep and picks it up. McGoldrick stopped this happening as he tackled back. When he went off our midfield was basically non-existent as the extra man had been plastering over the cracks.

Good point. We're the worst in the league from this aspect so far.

Headed goal attempts.png

Never said I didn't hope I was wrong. That season though is the exception not rule. An extraordinary achievement & unlikely to ( hope I'm wrong) be matched.
& by the way I ran a coach away all that season at much cost to finances & my marriage.
What is the rule then? We don't need to match it , we don't even need to come close. We've played 5 games, we've got 33 games left and aren't even in the bottom 3. Bottom after 4 games in L1 and the same people were saying here comes L2 , no chance we'll survive.

There's no doubt we need to get a lot better, but we have plenty of time to do so. The players that finished 9th last season haven't suddenly become relegation fodder over night. Our form and results is concerning, but that doesn't equate to relegation is a certainty.

I think it is becoming obvious to all that our midfield is not performing like last year. Losing out on many second balls, simple passes going to the opposition and a lack of bite. The chances are being made, defence still pretty damn good but the team does need to find "another gear" to get some results. Also, McBurnie is having a nightmare in front of goal, please get that sorted. ASAP. Brewster to start against the pool as we will be doing a lot of counter attacking.

Back
Top Bottom