Match Thread Sheffield United v. Fulham - 18th October 2020

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

SUFC
SUFC
SUFC

Final

Final
Final
FULH
FULH
FULH
Status
Ratings for this match closed
  • Admin
1602874224393.png v. 1602874231828.png
EPL Week 5 - Sunday 18th October 2020 - Bramall Lane

Please keep all discussion related to the match within this thread.

Matchday Stats/Player Ratings
- https://www.s24su.com/forum/index.php?match-day/match/sheffield-united-vs-fulham.513/

Officials:

Referee:
Andre Marriner
Assistant Referee: Simon Long
Assistant Referee: Eddie Smart
Fourth Official: Michael Salisbury
Video Assistant Referee: Martin Atkinson
Additional Video Assistant Referee: Andy Halliday

Coverage:

Follow via S24SU Twitter
: https://twitter.com/s24su

📺 Live TV Coverage:

Screenshot 2020-10-16 at 19.52.34.png

Also available via BT Sport Box Office:

How to access BT Sport Box Office​

BT TV subscribers: You can buy and watch BT Sport Box Office events on BT TV. Go to channel 494 or 495 or to the BT Player.

Sky subscribers: If you have a Sky box and a Sky viewing card, you can buy a BT Sport Box Office event through your Sky account. If you do not subscribe to BT Sport, you must register and pay online with BT Sport Box Office first.

Virgin Media subscribers: Customers in the UK should visit the "On-Demand" section and choose "Live Events".

Online: Fans can watch on the web by first registering and paying online at BT Sport Box Office. Or they can watch on their iPhone, iPad, Android phone or tablet by downloading the BT Sport Box Office app from the Apple Store or Play Store.

EE, Three and O2 customers watching online or via the BT Sport Box Office app can add the payment to their mobile bill.

What a load of crap I'm reading on here. We should have been 3 up at half time. Berge who was running the show clearly tired but after playing 3 games in a week with Norway who can blame him.

I am delighted with a draw, it is a massive result for us in the position we were in.

You have to give Fulham some credit, the new signings they have made looked very decent today, they are not the no hopers they are being made out to be.
Delighted with a draw?!?!

High pressure end to end stuff is always bad for us. We notch one of those first half chances we cruise to three points. Lucky to come out of that dogfight with a point and on reflection of the performance it's absurd I'm even saying that - and that's the whole problem.

At least Billy really didn't fuck around with that penalty. That's how you take em.
End to end with only one side threatening!!
Slick used 5o be a word to describe our play down the wings & outside the box. Erratic, slack & awkward better describes this aspect now.

Don’t understand why we took Basham off & left 5”10 Robinson on against the big fucker Mitro. Could have eased a lot of pressure those last 5 minutes.

Again, Wilders methods just don’t make sense. Why insist on a left footed centre half when JL7 is playing LCM.
Bash is always the one to come off when we go to a back 4. He's often stated that he isn't comfortable playing as a CB in a 2.

Thankfully for us Mitrovic had a very off day.
This is a league of very fine margins and you just have to take your chances.
Just two goals in five games is extremely concerning.
Fulham looked pretty decent and with Lookman and Cairney they have skillful players capable of breaking down most defenses.
Brewster doesn’t appear to be an impact sub on that first showing.
Tough introduction for him and Lowe.
Great to see Billy slam that in though. Nerveless!

5-1 to us coming up against a centre half pairing of... Gomez and? Fabinho?

Well if we couldn't score from open play against a centre half pairing of Tim Ream and Tosin Adarabioyo, I'm not sure it matters who Liverpool even play there!

5-1 (Salah x3, Mane x2, Brewster) 😩

McBurnie isn't scoring, great at heading it down but he's missed too many chances, it's time for him to come out.

Brewster in.

We looked shite as soon as McGoldrick went off because there was no one making themselves available for a pass and linking the midfield and attack.

Play McGoldrick (or Burke who also does this)

Robinson is a nutcase and we should be actively trying to avoid him unless it's for a midgame injury. He's not awful (though the pen was unforgivable) but he's not a multiple 90 player.

Play Stevens or Ampadu (if he can play there)

Lowe is quicker and more likely to put a ball in and catch a defence unaware, it Stevens is at LCB, Lowe goes in.

Tell Lundstram not to commit 5 minutes before anything happens.

Ramsdale
Baldock Basham Egan Stevens/Ampadu Lowe
Berge Norwood Lundstram
McGoldrick
Brewster

Next game for me.

Just stop holding on to being defensive, we're not keeping clean sheets this season by the looks of it, stop playing for them.

Also learn about the offside rule.

Bash is always the one to come off when we go to a back 4. He's often stated that that he isn't comfortable playing as a CB in a 2.
Think that’s completely fair when JOC is around but I trust Bash so much more than Robinson & in this game he would be better equipped to handle Mitrovic

We are hanging on at home v a team odds on to go down

Wouldn’t want to work for you or be in your team.
Life doesn’t work like that.....you battle, show character and aim to improve....and don’t surrender throwing in the towel.

The good news is that there’s 33 matches left. Plenty of time to make amends,....

Agree it’s right to be concerned but we‘re currently NOT even in a relegation place.

Well if we couldn't score from open play against a centre half pairing of Tim Ream and Tosin Adarabioyo, I'm not sure it matters who Liverpool even play there!

5-1 (Salah x3, Mane x2, Brewster) 😩

Adarabioyo looked good to be fair to him

I think Gomez is a massive fraud and a player like Burke can be the undoing of him easily, hoping he's fit, they'll struggle against his pace and if you attack down Trent's side, and it'll stop him getting further up the pitch too

Ramsdale - 7
Lowe - n/a
Robinson - 4
Egan - 6
Basham - 6
Baldock - 5
Stevens - 5
Norwood - 4
Lundstram - 3
Berge - 9
McBurnie - 2
Mcgoldrick - 3

and as I went down the team I just realised how poor they all were today. Let’s make no mistake - we play like that against any other prem team we get beaten comfortably today. Error ridden and can’t link up in passages of play.

my biggest worry is that we were the fittest team in the league last year but now what?? We looked dead on our feet from 60 minutes, every one of them. We are also pretty boring compared to last year. Last year we won so many games on energy, fitness and out battling teams (we know we don’t have the quality) but that appears to have gone too. Worrying times.

some of our players we underperforming, but 2 players in particular stand out to me as nowhere near good enough quality wise - Robinson and Lundstram. Another fear is who the hell replaces them? When’s Fleck back?

Let’s just cling on and try and stay in touching distance by January, then find the money to get the signings we desperately DESPERATELY need.
Storm does Wilder want the type of signings you say we desperately need.

Fulham showed us what we are missing, lively, athletic, players who can beat a man. We've needed that kind of player for an age now. Instead we have a midfield packed with work horses who fit our system but are too predictable.

Life doesn’t work like that.....you battle, show character and aim to improve....and don’t surrender throwing in the towel.

The good news is that there’s 33 matches left. Plenty of time to make amends,....we‘re currently not even in a relegation place.
Ha ha ha
We are garbage.

My thoughts on the game.

For the first 15 minutes I was worried. Fulham seemed to have control of the flow of the game & we were struggling to get possession. Our shape held strong though & they created nothing of note.

Then the game turned in our favour. Our midfield shape with Norwood at the base, playing passes through the lines & Berge - on the right - driving through players and creating opportunities swung the game in our favour.

We created numerous good opportunities but squandered all of them. McBurnie, who was also poor between both boxes in the first half, was the guilty culprit (again) with poor finishing.
No other side in the league wastes chances like we do. It's an ominous sign.

2nd half, we started OK.
Not as good as we finished the first half but certainly looked the more likely.... right up until the penalty.
What on earth Jack Robinson was thinking is beyond me. He has a tendancy to make rash decisions & concede large errors. Today was no different. We were lucky Mitrovic had such an off day today or we'd be sat here now on zero points.

After the penalty we lost our foothold. The game became more open and Fulham were in the ascendancy. They were skipping by Norwood in the middle of the park & Lookman and Antonee Robinson were hurting us down the left hand side. I wasn't totally surprised to see Fulham take the lead when they did.

We were then gifted a 'get out of jail free' card with the penalty. Thank God we got it, because from open play we look hopeless with our finishing. I was hoping this would spur us on, but it was again Fulham who looked like they wanted it more and they created a few more chances, one sitter for Mitrovic, before full time.

Ramsdale - 7.
Comfortable day. No chance with the goal. Made one handling error but recovered superbly. Held onto some powerful shots. He's getting better

Baldock - 5
Continues to frustrate going forward. Just doesn't have confidence when he gets up there. Always checking back.
Defensively he stuck to task against two very good attacking players in Lookman & A Robinson. But they gave him a tough afternoon and this is where Fulham had most of their joy.

We've seen the difference having players in there that are willing to drive through and take a man on (Berge, Lookman & A Robinson today). Makes me wonder if Bogle is due a shot.

Basham - 7.
He wanted it. He always does. I like his aggression in coming onto the ball. A solid display.

Egan - 6.
A tough afternoon against Mitrovic, but kept at it. He was beaten in the air on a few occasions. On another day Mitrovic might've scored a couple.

Robinson - 4.
He could have cost us the game with that terrible decision. If Lowe is fit for the next game I'd pull him out. Even if he isn't, give Ampadu a chance there.

Stevens - 6.
Defensively solid and tried to get forward. Loftus-Cheek didn't do much in the game.

Berge - 8.
Man of the match. Everything positive went through him. I think we need him in this position as we struggle to create anything without his drive.

Norwood - 6.
Probably an 8 in the first half and a 5 in the 2nd. We look more comfortable with him at the base. His quick passes through the line get us moving.
However, without the ball he's too pedestrian. 2nd half when the momentum swung, Fulham were just dancing around him. Norwood looked desperate in there trying to make fouls. He also started to give it away more.

Lundstram - 5.
He started the game well and got worse as it went on. He at least tries to take the initiative when we're attacking. However, faded badly. He did nothing in the whole 2nd half.
*He limited Loftus-Cheek's output though so maybe the mark is a score too harsh.

McGoldrick - 6.
Does what McGoldrick does. Shines between both boxes, but rarely looks like creating or scoring a goal. As a team, we play better when he plays. He shouldn't have been taken off. We lost control when he went.
For now, it's McGoldrick's shirt. Until we bring in a better grade of midfielder that will eat into his workload.

McBurnie - 3.
People say that he'd shine if he had service. Today, he had service and fluffed his lines time and again. Outside of the box he was anonymous for an hour.
When McGoldrick went off he began to put in more of a shift, but it looks laboured and low on quality. Positive things don't happen around him.
Ultimately I've marked him so low because -today, and in other games - he is the difference maker. The reason why we're not picking more points up.
It's frustrating because once every 4, or 5 games he looks like a player with a point to prove & one with a future. But that's not good enough.

-----

Lowe - 6.
Looked full of energy and enthusiasm. Look forward to seeing more of him.

Brewster - 5.
Didn't impress in his cameo. His touch looked heavy and he gave it away a few times. Also didn't close down much at the top of the pitch. Needs more game time to get up to speed.

Sharp - 7.
Chased everything down, bust a gut. Slotted away the penalty. Fair play to him.

Last edited:

The good news is that there’s 33 matches left. Plenty of time to make amends,....

Agree it’s right to be concerned but we‘re currently NOT even in a relegation place.
Don't worry mate I wouldn't hire you as you obviously don't like facts. The facts are that for the last 5 mins they were all over us and we were hanging on.

I do think you have to say the international break has done us no favours when 7 of your 1st team are away for two weeks and come back less than 100% fit. It would have been time much better spent on Shirecliffe's training pitch. I am starting to get worried for us now though. Time to earn your money now Chris the time for excuses and hard luck stories is over.

Really worries me that we haven't didn't get that bit of class

But we don't do class, we do graft, effort, hoof, attitude and versatility.
Class is for other teams, some have a lot, some have a bit, but no Premier League club has NONE

There are class defensive minded players but we will never ever ever have any quality class midfielders that can open up defences, it will never ever happen.
If we do stumble across one he'll be offloaded because he isn't back defending for 94 minutes and running around like a headless chicken.

Our players played last season like 38 cup ties against higher placed clubs
This season we're fucked

Did you lot start supporting the Blades in the last 3 years? You need to get a hold of yourselves and realise how far we've come, stop being fucking negative and actually support your football club

Not here for grown men throwing their toys out the pram after a few games
Don't chuck your everything is rosy in the garden & I'm a bigger Blade than you sh1t at fans that have been supporting for 50, 60 + years.

It's the fact that people have suffered many many heartbreaks & had umpteen sleepless nights because they care so much that gives them an insight into the probable outcome of this kind of start. Most that have been there during the previous 8 or 9 relegation are 'Reallists'. There is no answer but Happy Clapping, definitely isn't IMHO.

Back
Top Bottom