Pre-Season 2023/24 Sheffield United Pre-season Friendly Fixtures 2023/2024

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Have you been to our cup games and friendlies when the Kop is closed?

Yeah, I have. It is weird how many fans suddenly develop laryngitis once they have a full unobstructed view of the pitch, but only specifically at home games as this affliction doesn't seem to affect fans when we are playing away from home. It's like the fans are actively choosing not to be arsed to make atmosphere!

Yeah, I have. It is weird how many fans suddenly develop laryngitis once they have a full unobstructed view of the pitch, but only specifically at home games as this affliction doesn't seem to affect fans when we are playing away from home. It's like the fans are actively choosing not to be arsed to make atmosphere!

Well, I hope we do make some noise particularly if there are German fans there otherwise they will think we are turds.

Closing the Kop for games is puzzling to me.

Well, I hope we do make some noise particularly if there are German fans there otherwise they will think we are turds.

Closing the Kop for games is puzzling to me.

1) They indicate currently only South/John St are open. If they sell out or are close to doing so, they will liekly open the Kop
2) Paying for additional stewarding, catering and other variable costs when the likely attendance is likely to be small is puzzling?

Here's the traditional S24SU Sheffield United Pre-Season friendlies thread for the season 2023/2024.

As usual more pre-season fixtures and information will appear here as we're able/allowed to confirm. Keep checking back for edits on the warm up for the new Premier League Season.

Date:Fixture:Details:
15th July 2023 - 15:00Chesterfield v. Sheffield UnitedTechnique Stadium, Chesterfield
Overseas Training Camp TBCPortugal, TBC
25th July 2023 - 19:00Rotherham United v. Sheffield UnitedNew York Stadium, Rotherham
26th July 2023 - 13:00Sheffield United v. GironaBehind closed doors, Manchester
29th July 2023 - 15:00Derby County v. Sheffield UnitedPride Park, Derby
5th August 2023 - 13:00Sheffield United v. VfB StuttgartBramall Lane

Will be updated as more is confirmed.
No news yet on the training camp in Portugal.

1) They indicate currently only South/John St are open. If they sell out or are close to doing so, they will liekly open the Kop
2) Paying for additional stewarding, catering and other variable costs when the likely attendance is likely to be small is puzzling?

Could always sell the Kop first.

I emailed days ago and no reply.
Very poor from the club.
Don't get me started on this PTB. This year is the first opportunity I've had to attend a training camp and match and yet, since it was announced several weeks ago, there's been absolutely fuck all from the club. One poster on the pre-season threads has hinted that the fans are not welcome or wanted in Portugal and it's hard to disagree with that comment.

You can say it's pre season and it's not for the fans it's all about preparation but that's bollox, the same fans who go up and down the country also would be going to pre season abroad, it's an absolute shambles how we can't organise a fucking match somewhere with less than 2 weeks to go before the apparent training camp. A lot of people turn pre season abroad into family holiday, a lot go for a trip away and its extremely enjoyable. With prior notice we had 1k people enjoying a great trip to Portugal 4 years ago, this year the opportunity hasn't been there again. Pretty poor in all honesty.

Could always sell the Kop first.
Won’t happen though because of the family stand and the fact the Kop facilities are crap. It’s a bit of a catch 22 cause there are fans who won’t sit on the Kop, but there are also fans who won’t go at all if the Kop isn’t open.

I realise we have had some financial difficulties of late. And we are trying to scrimp and save everywhere. But, I fucking hate how every simple thing in football has to come down to a spreadsheet.

We're a football club. With a football ground. Playing a football match. Football fans have their preferred part of the ground. Within which they have football fun with football friends. Fucking open the stands.

Let's be a club again, not a spreadsheet.

I realise we have had some financial difficulties of late. And we are trying to scrimp and save everywhere. But, I fucking hate how every simple thing in football has to come down to a spreadsheet.

We're a football club. With a football ground. Playing a football match. Football fans have their preferred part of the ground. Within which they have football fun with football friends. Fucking open the stands.

Let's be a club again, not a spreadsheet.
Agree with the sentiment, but I think the selling the front half of the Kop for the FA Cup games worked quite well. Isn't it better that the stands are full, rather than everyone spread out all over?

Agree with the sentiment, but I think the selling the front half of the Kop for the FA Cup games worked quite well. Isn't it better that the stands are full, rather than everyone spread out all over?
Sell the front of all the stands in that case because yes it is better when it looks full, and feels full too.

I understand the point you're making. Of course "full' isn't quite correct. The front only Kop wasn't full, it was manipulatively concentrated.

And, no, all that stuff is just over thinking. Why have a two hour whiteboard meeting, with proposals and options? Does the Prince have to sign off which rows of the Kop we're allowed on after he's read the impact assessment.

Madness. Football is eating itself with this perceived need to make decisions about all sorts of meaningless shit.

Just kick the ball into the goal for fuck sake.

Friendly against Estoril confirmed for the 19th.

What a club, keeping the worst kept secret until less than 2 weeks before the game giving fans slim chance of making it.

Finally... I wonder how many are making the trip to Portugal?
As the club has be very shoddy with the late info on this I'm guessing there may be just a small contingent.
Would anyone like to meet up beforehand for a few beers?
UTB

Finally... I wonder how many are making the trip to Portugal?
As the club has be very shoddy with the late info on this I'm guessing there may be just a small contingent.
Would anyone like to meet up beforehand for a few beers?
UTB
Am I ok to let you know 12 minutes before?

Here's the traditional S24SU Sheffield United Pre-Season friendlies thread for the season 2023/2024.

As usual more pre-season fixtures and information will appear here as we're able/allowed to confirm. Keep checking back for edits on the warm up for the new Premier League Season.

Date:Fixture:Details:
15th July 2023 - 15:00Chesterfield v. Sheffield UnitedTechnique Stadium, Chesterfield
19th July 2023 - 19:30 (Local Time)Estoril v. Sheffield United Estádio António Coimbra da Mota, Portugal
25th July 2023 - 19:00Rotherham United v. Sheffield UnitedNew York Stadium, Rotherham
26th July 2023 - 13:00Sheffield United v. GironaBehind closed doors, Manchester
29th July 2023 - 15:00Derby County v. Sheffield UnitedPride Park, Derby
5th August 2023 - 13:00Sheffield United v. VfB StuttgartBramall Lane

Will be updated as more is confirmed.
Ay up do you know of any blades coming over for this fixture? I live in Portugal would be great to meet up with blades fans.

Ay up do you know of any blades coming over for this fixture? I live in Portugal would be great to meet up with blades fans.

Know a number, will point them in your direction, though I'm sure your paths will cross at the fixture.

Sadly, due to work commitments, I can't make this one :(

Added academy fixtures.

And be at Lisbon Airport for 4.15 the morning after the match , no thanks !! :)
Fair enough. Pay 3x as much for a few hours kip if you prefer. As a frequent flyer I have no issues in scoring best priced flights, normally red eye going out and late as possible returning. Maximises time in destination.

Bournemouth played Real Madrid in a friendly, and that's when they were in the Championship:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/23400938

We could have tried to be ambitious and promote Sheffield and our brand by going on a pre-season tour to America for example

But naaahh Chesterfield and Derby will do instead
Why ? What difference does it make ?

We played inter milan the other year it was forgotten about instantly

Back
Top Bottom