Pre-Season 2023/24 Sheffield United Pre-season Friendly Fixtures 2023/2024

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I’m interested to know what you think our pre season schedule should be and most importantly why. Please note that “so I can go there on holiday” or “I’d like to see Real Madrid live” are not valid reasons.

Personally I think we can leave it to the professionals to know how best to prep the p

Bournemouth played Real Madrid in a friendly, and that's when they were in the Championship:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/23400938

We could have tried to be ambitious and promote Sheffield and our brand by going on a pre-season tour to America for example

But naaahh Chesterfield and Derby will do instead

Bournemouth played Real Madrid in a friendly, and that's when they were in the Championship:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/23400938

We could have tried to be ambitious and promote Sheffield and our brand by going on a pre-season tour to America for example

But naaahh Chesterfield and Derby will do instead
That Madrid friendly at Bournemouth was a joke. 6-0 walk over and fans paid £60 a ticket. I think playing Stuttgart is better prep as opposed to chasing shadows for 90 mins.

Who would we play on a US tour? The MLS season hasn’t finished yet.

Your argument essentially is that the opposition isn’t fashionable enough for your liking. Means fuck all once the season starts.

Leave it to the club to decide how best to prepare for the season.

That Madrid friendly at Bournemouth was a joke. 6-0 walk over and fans paid £60 a ticket. I think playing Stuttgart is better prep as opposed to chasing shadows for 90 mins.

Who would we play on a US tour? The MLS season hasn’t finished yet.

Your argument essentially is that the opposition isn’t fashionable enough for your liking. Means fuck all once the season starts.

Leave it to the club to decide how best to prepare for the season.

I agree Stuttgart is a good fixture, and the club deserves credit for getting Inter Milan over here a couple of seasons ago.

However, this time the schedule is disappointing and lacks ambition. Fashionable = marketable, and its a missed opportunity to boost commerical links abroad.

I'm sure most MLS teams would be very happy to have a friendly match against us, and we could join one of those mini-tournaments that other PL clubs like Fulham play in.

Aye
I wonder why?
Maybe to not play any football ?

Well they have an inter league cup with the Mexican league at the time, but I am going to assume that is more for them to use their squad players and work in lucrative pre season games against European opposition

I agree Stuttgart is a good fixture, and the club deserves credit for getting Inter Milan over here a couple of seasons ago.

However, this time the schedule is disappointing and lacks ambition. Fashionable = marketable, and its a missed opportunity to boost commerical links abroad.

I'm sure most MLS teams would be very happy to have a friendly match against us, and we could join one of those mini-tournaments that other PL clubs like Fulham play in.
Premier League is holding its “summer series” in the US which I presume precludes other PL clubs from playing out there. Neither of the other two promoted clubs are involved.

I’d wait til we are an established Premier League side before we are seen as enough of a draw for lucrative summer tournaments in Asia or the US. We could go out there and play against a team of farmers but that’s not great preparation, nor will it bring the coin rolling in.

It’s common for teams to play local sides at the start of their pre season programme and I don’t see the problem with it. It’s not like the Warnock era games against pub sides in Cornwall.

Look at Burnley, for example. They are playing a couple behind closed doors, then warm weather training in Lisbon (no fixture), Genk away then one more game at the end of the month.

That’s largely the same as us, although can you imagine the reaction on here if we elected to play any of our first team friendlies behind closed doors?

It’s also worth mentioning that since Bournemouth played Real Madrid we’ve had Inter and Fenerbache at the lane as well as Real Betis and Reims away, with Stuttgart to come as well.

If we played in the US you can guarantee half of this board and twitter would be slagging United off for going so far away and not considering the fans.

Wait someone really thinks we would be a draw in America?

We are lucky to be able to fly out to Portugal for a camp and yet you genuinely think we should be playing on America.

Ludicrous

Wait someone really thinks we would be a draw in America?

We are lucky to be able to fly out to Portugal for a camp and yet you genuinely think we should be playing on America.

Ludicrous
And the Wrexham USA Ultimate Ultra Hooligan All Stars (WUUUHAS) would turn us over proper.

Simply isn't true. Of course the brand is bigger but it makes little financial or physical sense to fly over to the US as a newly promoted club 🤷‍♂️

I fear you underestimate quite how big the PL brand is there, and what money various parties will be happy to throw about to host a pre season game. Whether it would make sense for us in terms of what we want to do from a training/build up perspective is an entirely different matter (given the huge level of conservativism in all decisions the coaching staff make, I would guess not), but the chances of us making a loss and playing in a quarter full stadium if we were to go over there at some point as a PL team are basically zero

I fear you underestimate quite how big the PL brand is there, and what money various parties will be happy to throw about to host a pre season game. Whether it would make sense for us in terms of what we want to do from a training/build up perspective is an entirely different matter (given the huge level of conservativism in all decisions the coaching staff make, I would guess not), but the chances of us making a loss and playing in a quarter full stadium if we were to go over there at some point as a PL team are basically zero
Please show me a club around our size in their first season back going on a overseas tour.

There's a reason it's normally "the big 6"

Please show me a club around our size in their first season back going on a overseas tour.

There's a reason it's normally "the big 6"

I'm not saying we will ever do it, and given the insane level of conservativism the coaching staff has I doubt we do it soon, I'm just saying that any PL team would draw crowds in the US. You can't even get a ticket under $60 for Fulham against Brentford there ffs

I'm not saying we will ever do it, and given the insane level of conservativism the coaching staff has I doubt we do it soon, I'm just saying that any PL team would draw crowds in the US. You can't even get a ticket under $60 for Fulham against Brentford there ffs
From a playing perspective it would be a waste of time, and mor importantly energy. We have to get the existing players as fit and ready as possible. Plus get some new blood up to speed asap.
A potential money making jaunt to the USA doesn't help us at all.

Don't know how reliable this is,but it's the 1st thing I've found anywhere relating to the game in Portugal IMG_20230704_093721.jpg

From a playing perspective it would be a waste of time, and mor importantly energy. We have to get the existing players as fit and ready as possible. Plus get some new blood up to speed asap.
A potential money making jaunt to the USA doesn't help us at all.
How so?

Teams play pre season games. Against other teams. Does it matter if that is v Brentford in Dallas? Or v Rotherham in Rotherham?

The PL Summer Series is arranged so that the teams which aren't international brands in their own right can trade on the Premier League brand. With all the logistics and lucrative funding provided by external promoters.

Teams are based at, and train at, state of the art facilities in the US. We know our management like those sort of places - the Portugal National Team Centre & the Scotland Rugby Centre for eg as they have used recently.

Pre season in the US is still pre season. Great facilities. A simple program of games. And, because we are part of the PL brand, more money in the pot.

As people have explained, not this year. But, stay in the PL, that is part of the top table we are allowed to dine at.

I'm guessing this behind closed doors friendly v Girona will be at the Man City training "complex" (1pm on 26/07).

Back
Top Bottom