Scouting the World Cup

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

SwissBlade

Reaction score
Do you think that we'll have our top scouts there to try and sign anyone that has a sniff of a good game so we can get them at vastly inflated prices?

Scouts only do part of the job, without access to scouting reports, I'm not entirely sure how people can decide how well they perform?

Scouts only do part of the job, without access to scouting reports, I'm not entirely sure how people can decide how well they perform?

How do you mean Foxy?

How do you mean Foxy?

Wasn't neccessarily a direct response to your question :)

More of a general observation that people seem to think our scouts sit at home doing nothing unless there is a jolly to Watford, based purely on who we are linked with in the papers or ultimately sign. :D

What I mean is, they can only make recommendations, not take the decision on signing players. I know of a number of players we've previously scouted who I think would still be ideal for our team, sadly they are either now playing Premiership football or appear to have dropped off the radar.

Going back to your question, I think we'll be keeping an eye on the world cup squads, but looking more at the understated/underdog countries than the "stars" of the tournament.

Us paying a vastly overinflated price would rely on us being able to compete with the collection of others doing the same, so we should be okay on that one :)

Ahhh, here we have the chance for a four-yearly sweepstake on who will be the 2 game wonder that gets a big fat contract at a PL club. Only for said club to realise, come December, that this really is a chump and they've jizzed away mucho foldo.

Then 'Arry buys them:D

Do you think that we'll have our top scouts there to try and sign anyone that has a sniff of a good game so we can get them at vastly inflated prices?

No, no I don't.

The trouble with scouting players at the World Cup is that;

A) You will only get to see just over half of the players going.
B) Any that do well and catch your eye will have an instantly inflated transfer fee (putting them out of our reach).

and last but not least

C) The World Cup is a glittering spectacle that brings out the best in a lot of players. I can't imagine a young South American or African player for example, will fancy a tuesday night at Scunthorpe quite as much as a sunny afternoon against Spain.

I love the World Cup but I doubt United will be picking any players up. Mainly for the above reasons.

Unfortunately,all of our scouts are on bob a job week,and camping at hesley woods for the duration of the wc.Get real blades fans,do u really think we can get a world cup player at the lane?maybe next time round when bobarwell has fucked off

3. El Hadji Diouf

Still makes me chuckle that Liverpool splashed out £12m on him!

6. Jordi Cruyff.
And one that might be a little controversial,
7. Paul Gascoigne. He didn't do a deal at Lazio. In three years he played just 47 times, scoring only 6 times. Injured a lot, it's a crying shame that he never really looked the player he promised to be, apart from the goal against Scotland at Euro 96. If he hadn't been as mad as a hatter he might be up there with the best.

Karel Poborsky was not crap. He looked crap at Man Utd, and had the misfortune to be eclipsed not long after he signed by Beckham, but he was a very good player.

Toto Schillaci? The stuff dreams are made of. Make your international debut at the first game of the world cup on home soil. Seven games later and you're the golden boot and a world superstar. Then the dream turned somewhat sour....

Tournament Wonders that turned out to be crap:

1. Karel Poborsky

8. Stephane Guivarch - although its debatable that he was a tournament wonder. He wasnt that good for France. Newcastle didnt mind though, they like paying a fortune for a name.

9. Wim Jonk - played in a very good dutch side but played like a crab for the piggies. Someone needed to tell this bloke you can pass forwards and backwards.

:D ........................ if cheap as chips goes he'll just be tasting the pies !

Back
Top Bottom