Player Suggestion Jimmy Dunne

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Hamandcheese

Get them gone
Reaction score
QPR centre back who is out of contract, though I think they have an option. He seems like a good fit for us. Just a really solid CB from what I've seen, good age too at 26. Has played RB for the last few weeks, and seems to have done well. Some of the heat maps are similar to what we'd get from Basham. It's impressive because he's quite a conventional CB who you'd not expect to play anywhere else. To top it off he scored an incredible left footed volley to win them the game in the 93rd minute the other day!

He strikes me as exactly the type Wilder will be interested in. If we're releasing Basham and Egan, which I think we probably should, then he's a perfect signing because he could replace either one of them, playing CB or RCB. The right/central defensive area is going to be crucial for recruitment this summer and Dunne would be a very good new foundation for us in my view

Seems another one where he'd be competent in the Championship but has zero chance of being good in the Premier League either now or in the future, as such I wouldn't hate a one year deal with a club option (to only be activated if we don't go up obviously) but I don't see how the player would be interested in that

I would much prefer Egan over Dunne.
Personally don’t like my Egs over-Dunne 😉

Given we all might be resigned to Anel trying another league, him out for cash to be replaced by someone else on a free would seem the logical sort of approach.

Dunne and Paddy McNair would be two Bash and Anel type replacements. Would also fit in with what was a successful predominantly UK & Irish dressing room. I’m not suggesting we get both, though we could, as there may be a way to have Bogle, Baldock and Curtis if they are also helping to replace Bash/Anel with one more.

Given how well the defence did last promotion, I don’t feel a need to waive away Egan and Robbo as a duo complemented by AN Other.

As good as he was going forwards, Anel was, and is very much the weaker of the three when it comes to defending. How many times did he get a yellow for being on the wrong side of his man and dragging him back? How many times did we applaud his last gasp telescopic legs coming in to tackle? Last gasp nonetheless; we never saw McGrath doing that because he was always one step ahead.

Last edited:
I'd sign McNair as well on a free, regardless of signing Dunne or any other RCB. He can play in midfield and RB as well. Both these players are good examples of what we should go for. Solid, reliable, established championship players who are mid to late 20s and affordable. We need some stability and we need building blocks to complement the youth we have

This right/centre defensive area isn't somewhere we should struggle, there's enough choice. Another one I'd throw in is Tanganga at Millwall. He'll be surplus at Spurs (Spurplus) and has a year left. Millwall have picked up a lot since he paired up with Cooper at CB. Would be a really solid RCB for us in that league. I like the look of Hayden Carter at Blackburn as well, and they could need to sell

Personally don’t like my Egs over-Dunne 😉

Given we all might be resigned to Anel trying another league, him out for cash to be replaced by someone else on a free would seem the logical sort of approach.

Dunne and Paddy McNair would be two Bash and Anel type replacements. Would also fit in with what was a successful predominantly UK & Irish dressing room. I’m not suggesting we get both, though we could, as there may be a way to have Bogle, Baldock and Curtis if they are also helping to replace Bash/Anel with one more.

Given how well the defence did last promotion, I don’t feel a need to waive away Egan and Robbo as a duo complemented by AN Other.

As good as he was going forwards, Anel was, and is very much the weaker of the three when it comes to defending. How many times did he get a yellow for being on the wrong side of his man and dragging him back? How many times did we applaud his last gasp telescopic legs coming in to tackle? Last gasp nonetheless; we never saw McGrath doing that because he was always one step ahead.
Wouldn't surprise me if we went in for McNair, we always seem to get linked with him and Wilder managed him at Middlesbrough.

Wouldn't surprise me if we went in for McNair, we always seem to get linked with him and Wilder managed him at Middlesbrough.
Me neither.

Plus it’s all well and good saying this player and that player weren’t up to it in the Prem.

But our immediate likely concern will be excelling in the Championship and so that is for where we need to prepare and for that you’ll need some seasoned Championship players.

We won’t have the financial luxury of having a sledgehammer to crack a nut.

Manager will start chasing Wallace & Swift like he's done before

Me neither.

Plus it’s all well and good saying this player and that player weren’t up to it in the Prem.

But our immediate likely concern will be excelling in the Championship and so that is for where we need to prepare and for that you’ll need some seasoned Championship players.

We won’t have the financial luxury of having a sledgehammer to crack a nut.
It's alright saying the likes of Dunne and McNair wouldn't step up to the PL but if they were the sort of backups we had in defence this season, we wouldn't have been the soft, embarrassing pushovers have been, that's for sure

They'd also be staying with us after relegation, unlike unpredictable, egotistical players like Anel who will probably insist on leaving

My only problem with McNair is playing internationals for NI. Ideally we'll have as few internationals as possible. To be fair to him though, at least he's actually northern Irish....

Whilst I agree they’d be quality in the championship. I’d much prefer we chase targets that will be fantastic in the championship whilst still having potential for the premier league.

So would I but in all probability we will need a mix of players for next season if we are to challenge for promotion. We have plenty of pups coming through, we will hopefully supplement these with some others who are of excellent quality and who can push on in the PL if we get there again, but I also think there is scope for us to take a few more experienced lads who can do an excellent job for us next season in the here and now. Those two would fit that job description. I've always liked Swift as he is comfortable in possession and keeps holding of the ball. Something we have been woefully short of this season.

I’ve met Jimmy through work with a charity fairly recently.
Very down to earth, hard working and genuine guy. Went out of his way to support what we are doing and we collectively didn’t think for one second think he was just doing it for media clout.

Perfect type of personality for Sheffield United.

I’ve met Jimmy through work with a charity fairly recently.
Very down to earth, hard working and genuine guy. Went out of his way to support what we are doing and we collectively didn’t think for one second think he was just doing it for media clout.

Perfect type of personality for Sheffield United.
That doesn't surprise me at all. I guess it's another similarity with Egan

Let's go for a full Irish defence

He's about 6 foot 2

But I'd like Worrall too, and I'm pretty sure Wilder will go for him, for the central role

Think we are losing sight of two things when we speak of Worrall:

1. We are skinflint fc so we will try to achieve our goals on a budget.
2. Worrall may well be captain of a Championship team Nottingham Forest next year!

Unless a Championship player is out of contract and so outstanding that a Premier League club will not hesitate to take him then we need to be at the front of this queue. Yes you might pay a sizeable signing fee but this will still be a fraction of what a transfer fee may be.

Something like this to me feels suitable:

Cash in for Archer, Souza and Ahmedhodzic.

Sign - Dunne, McNair, O’Hare

You therefore replace Ahmedhodzic and Basham with Dunne and McNair.

You have a more forward-looking midfield of Arblaster, Hamer and O’Hare and you reserve the right to use McNair there if you feel a more robust approach is required.

You have the more youthful squad options of Brooks and Peck plus Davies and Slimane.

You might consider a new left wing back but perhaps it’s time for Osborn to claim a role for his own. You can still give a lifeline to RND and have Boyes/Buyabu as back ups while he recovers. Brooks could also find this as an option to get into the team.

Then perhaps further forward is where you look to the loan market.

Wilder may of course decide to trade Traore, Slimane etc if he simply doesn’t fancy them, either to pocket the cash for expensive loans or to trade on perms.

I’d hope to keep McBurnie and Jebbo, and combined perhaps they can cover each other, I’d not depend on Brewster but he’ll be on contract, have Osula in the matchday squad but not necessarily starting and get a deciding loanee to complete the set. Or turn to another end of contract guy and take QPR’s Willock and fashion him into an Ndiaye.

That’s all without considering transfer fees of course. Maybe we will have more to play with than we let on in that space. If so, perhaps the lad Burrows is worth more of a look at Peterborough.

That’s the sort of pool and profile I’d be fishing.

Last edited:
Think we are losing sight of two things when we speak of Worrall:

1. We are skinflint fc so we will try to achieve our goals on a budget.
2. Worrall may well be captain of a Championship team Nottingham Forest next year!

Unless a Championship player is out of contract and so outstanding that a Premier League club will not hesitate to take him then we need to be at the front of this queue. Yes you might pay a sizeable signing fee but this will still be a fraction of what a transfer fee may be.

Something like this to me feels suitable:

Cash in for Archer, Souza and Ahmedhodzic.

Sign - Dunne, McNair, O’Hare

You therefore replace Ahmedhodzic and Basham with Dunne and McNair.

You have a more forward-looking midfield of Arblaster, Hamer and O’Hare and you reserve the right to use McNair there if you feel a more robust approach is required.

You have the more youthful squad options of Brooks and Peck plus Davies and Slimane.

You might consider a new left wing back but perhaps it’s time for Osborn to claim a role for his own. You can still give a lifeline to RND and have Boyes/Buyabu as back ups while he recovers. Brooks could also find this as an option to get into the team.

Then perhaps further forward is where you look to the loan market.

Wilder may of course decide to trade Traore, Slimane etc if he simply doesn’t fancy them, either to pocket the cash for expensive loans or to trade on perms.

I’d hope to keep McBurnie and Jebbo, and combined perhaps they can cover each other, I’d not depend on Brewster but he’ll be on contract, have Osula in the matchday squad but not necessarily starting and get a deciding loanee to complete the set. Or turn to another end of contract guy and take QPR’s Willock and fashion him into an Ndiaye.

That’s all without considering transfer fees of course. Maybe we will have more to play with than we let on in that space. If so, perhaps the lad Burrows is worth more of a look at Peterborough.

That’s the sort of pool and profile I’d be fishing.
You think we're unlikely to get Worrall but will beat 15 teams to signing O'Hare?
He goes on a free yes but if anything that makes it even harder for us as teams will battle it out for his wages.

Worrall is out of favour, out of the country and next year they won't see us as rivals again. After we sell Anel we will be able to afford a few quid again to replace him (and Bash) just like we did when we bought Anel in the first place. Don't get me wrong, it's not exciting and you can't build a team around him, but you know what you're getting from him and he makes our back 3 far more solid straight away.

i think with worrall it depends on where forest are next season if they stay up i think forest will be trying to offload him and if they do we will go for him imo theres been too many rumours about us being interested in him also think we need a big physical type in midfield were a bit lightweight in there with arblaster brooks davies and hamer choudrey at leicester might be a good shout for that spot if leicester go up would also like to see us in for david brooks to fill the mcatee role

You think we're unlikely to get Worrall but will beat 15 teams to signing O'Hare?
He goes on a free yes but if anything that makes it even harder for us as teams will battle it out for his wages.

Worrall is out of favour, out of the country and next year they won't see us as rivals again. After we sell Anel we will be able to afford a few quid again to replace him (and Bash) just like we did when we bought Anel in the first place. Don't get me wrong, it's not exciting and you can't build a team around him, but you know what you're getting from him and he makes our back 3 far more solid straight away.
Wouldn’t Worrall be more of an Egan than an Anel?

Wouldn’t Worrall be more of an Egan than an Anel?
Traditionally maybe, yeah.
He'd be a central stopper, the man to win headers and sweep up, but are any of our defenders capable of bombing forward and overlapping now anyway?
I know the Championship is different but if we get promoted again we know the back 3 isn't working for us until we become more solid. We're struggling for a LWB, and I'd be a lot more confident in the RWB role being used in a more attacking sense IF our back 3 were no-nonsense stoppers.

Traditionally maybe, yeah.
He'd be a central stopper, the man to win headers and sweep up, but are any of our defenders capable of bombing forward and overlapping now anyway?
I know the Championship is different but if we get promoted again we know the back 3 isn't working for us until we become more solid. We're struggling for a LWB, and I'd be a lot more confident in the RWB role being used in a more attacking sense IF our back 3 were no-nonsense stoppers.
The system has lost all the qualities it was first built upon.

Keeper with sky high confidence in Hendo.
Classy, combative and hugely consistent wing backs in Baldock and Stevens.
An organised back three, wholly on one another's wavelength in Bash, Egan and JOC.
Good possession in Norwood and Berge, with outlets in the attacking wing backs.
Energy in midfield in Fleck and dare I say it, Lunny.
Strikers able to take one of a small number of chances we may get, in Didz, Sharp and Moose. Although, Archer, BBD and McBurnie haven't been too bad in that sense.

Back
Top Bottom