Summer transfers - Wilder and Knill

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Tony Currie

Reaction score
I think Wilder and Knill are now pretty much in charge of transfers/contract renewals for the summer.

The old scouts haven't been replaced and the young players are being tied down pretty quickly by Wilder and Knill. History also suggests they can spot a good player who can step up and bring through young players. They are not going to get it right 100 percent of the time but I do trust them more than the old regime.

I think Wilder and Knill are now pretty much in charge of transfers/contract renewals for the summer.

The old scouts haven't been replaced and the young players are being tied down pretty quickly by Wilder and Knill. History also suggests they can spot a good player who can step up and bring through young players. They are not going to get it right 100 percent of the time but I do trust them more than the old regime.
To be fair to Wilder, his recruitment was pretty good last time we had no money. It was when he started to throw the £millions around that it went to crap.

To be fair to Wilder, his recruitment was pretty good last time we had no money. It was when he started to throw the £millions around that it went to crap.
Actually, scrap that...for every Jack O'Connell, there was a Chris Hussey, for every John Fleck, there was a Ryan Leonard, for every Mark Duffy, there was a Ricky Holmes etc.

I guess it's easier to disregard duds when they cost next to nowt and easier to move them on when they're on lower wages.

A bit like Warnock in some ways.

The higher you go up, the more competitive it is to get quality players who will make a difference. And the less likely you are to be successful without a substantial and effective scouting, data and recruitment team.

Actually, scrap that...for every Jack O'Connell, there was a Chris Hussey, for every John Fleck, there was a Ryan Leonard, for every Mark Duffy, there was a Ricky Holmes etc.

I guess it's easier to disregard duds when they cost next to nowt and easier to move them on when they're on lower wages.
It's almost like every other manager in our clubs history

The summer of 2018.

Henderson
Egan
Norwood
McGoldrick

Best transfer window we've EVER had.

Can they do it again?

Probably not but we'll see.
It's incredible you only have to go back 5 years from that window to find this rag tag bunch in 2013.

Febian Brandy
Steven McGinn
Sean McGinty
Lyle Taylor
Jose Baxter
Florent Cuvelier
Jasper Johns (there seems no record of this man online after he left us!)

One can only pray this isn't the case, although to some degree it will be the case

It's incredible you only have to go back 5 years from that window to find this rag tag bunch in 2013.

Febian Brandy
Steven McGinn
Sean McGinty
Lyle Taylor
Jose Baxter
Florent Cuvelier
We’ve got greedy for more success. I noticed that in the promotion season last year, the crowd were nervous almost expecting to win games unlike the underdog attitude we had in the first two promotions.

Next season will be difficult to manage expectations because it seems like we’ll be a fairly young team I’d possibly say similar to Sunderland.

a substantial and effective scouting, data and recruitment team.
and that's the bare minimum for most teams at the highest level. Our recruitment seemed to consist of Paul Mitchell or have they played well against us before?

The summer of 2018.

Henderson
Egan
Norwood
McGoldrick

Best transfer window we've EVER had.

Can they do it again?

Probably not but we'll see.
The difference being that we already had an established, reliable, solid 11 that these 4 then added to, forcing existing players to the bench making us stronger than before on the pitch and from the bench.

This time round we barely have an 11 for next season, let alone replacing them with superior players to force them to the bench.

This summer is the start of a total rebuild and we need to make sure we don't panic and resign old players through desperation for numbers. If we do stick by the kids and allow the likes of Osula, Brooks, Arblaster and Peck an opportunity to play most matches next season, then we need to be realistic that next season probably won't end how you'd like it to, as they all be learning.

and that's the bare minimum for most teams at the highest level. Our recruitment seemed to consist of Paul Mitchell or have they played well against us before?
I seem to recall Wilder being intereted in McBurnie & Maupay because he asked JOC, Bash, & Egan which strikers were hardest to play against.

I seem to recall Wilder being intereted in McBurnie & Maupay because he asked JOC, Bash, & Egan which strikers were hardest to play against.

Applying that logic let's hope wilder and knill ask the bloke who couldn't catch a cold who's the hardest striker he's played against.

We'll have a summer transfer list longer than Martin Samuel's belt.

Febian Brandy
Steven McGinn
Sean McGinty
Lyle Taylor
Jose Baxter
Florent Cuvelier
This season surpasses that lot

Back
Top Bottom