Pukki on his way to BDTBL

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Not sure really, but there might be more chance that Pukki plays more games than Brewster due to Brewsters injury record?

Incidentally, I’m not slagging Brewster because I still believe he has something to offer, but a sustained run in the side is needed and he just doesn’t seem able to sustain it with the injury setbacks he’s suffered
Think it will take a season for Brewster to get back to match fitness/sharpness when (if) he ever returns. Pukki could be a cheap short term filler until then if that’s where our finances leave us.

I find myself flip flopping a bit on this one.

On one hand I wasn’t that impressed when we played them away. But then again I wasn’t that impressed with them as a team overall and we all know it's difficult for strikers to look great when they're getting no chances.

Can’t deny at Bramall Lane he showed a clinical side that would be very useful.

I was keen when we were discussing the end of season in January and thinking this would be shrewd and that other teams at the top level would be too snobbish to attempt.

But, having reflected once more he’s 2 years younger than Didzy. So he’s the same age as when Didzy was effectively the outfield player of the year in the PL.

He’s 4 years younger than Sharp so still 2 years younger than when Billy was playing in the Premier League.

He's twice scored more than 10 in the PL. Out best was McBurnie/Mousset 6 and then Didzy 8.

In 19/20 he got 11 goals in 36 games and 3 assists.

In 20/21 back in the Championship he got 26 goals and 4 assists in 41 games.

Last season in another Prem relegation he got 11 goals and 3 assists in 32 matches.

This season, a poor season for Norwich, he's still got 10 goals but also added 7 assist, so 17 goal contributions in 41 games.

For no fee, he's a good all-rounder to complete the forward options. Him and McBurnie gives a good base. Ndiaye should be there. It's just then a question of what is the best for Brewster, Jebbison and Osula.

You'd have some comfort at the top of the pitch there. Just hopefully we can be sensible with contracts and make the right decisions with loans. As I think FallowfieldBlade said Brewster on loan to Eresdivisie or Ligue Un, Jebbo to the Championship and Osula to League One all as starters would set them up well for the following season. Question is though, would the players buy into that or will they see the PL and think this is their breakthrough chance? Less so Osula. But Jebbo might fancy it and Brewster might not welcome being shipped off overseas.

Either way, there is room to shuffle if Pukki comes in, so I'm back onboard.

We can then focus on making us have a functioning midfield.

10+ goals a season for a Norwich team that finished bottom both seasons ( I think ) an absoloute no brainier

He’s got another 2/3 seasons in him easily

No brainier on a free for me

Not sure really, but there might be more chance that Pukki plays more games than Brewster due to Brewsters injury record?

Incidentally, I’m not slagging Brewster because I still believe he has something to offer, but a sustained run in the side is needed and he just doesn’t seem able to sustain it with the injury setbacks he’s suffered

There is absoloutely keeping Brewster unless he is gonna start which I don’t think he will

Send him to a farmers league where they don’t play with defenders for me

But he's not
10 goals last season
No thanks
10 goals against an (infogol) xG of 12.4, meaning he underperformed his expected output by less than Sharp did (2 vs 4.75). If we were going up with the sort of budget Chris Wilder blew in each of his summer transfer windows I'd not expect us to be interested in Pukki but he's a reliable finisher and if the deal is cheap he's a good third striker option. Ndiaye will be our main forward then it's McBurnie (will miss 10+ games due to injury), Brewster (completely unreliable), Jebbison (completely unproven) and Osula (should be out on loan). Pukki fits in that lineup as an alternative to McBurnie.

10 goals against an (infogol) xG of 12.4, meaning he underperformed his expected output by less than Sharp did (2 vs 4.75). If we were going up with the sort of budget Chris Wilder blew in each of his summer transfer windows I'd not expect us to be interested in Pukki but he's a reliable finisher and if the deal is cheap he's a good third striker option. Ndiaye will be our main forward then it's McBurnie (will miss 10+ games due to injury), Brewster (completely unreliable), Jebbison (completely unproven) and Osula (should be out on loan). Pukki fits in that lineup as an alternative to McBurnie.
Brewster is still the unknown £20m piece in this jigsaw puzzle.

Good bit of business if it happens and one that I expected. Not going to be our 'main' striker but one of a number we will rotate to give us options. Bit like when Man Utd signed Henrik Larsson in the twilight of his career, or when Warnock signed Wayne Allison or Neil Shipperley (the dirty dog) Kevin Phillips was another one who kept making this move late in his career - mainly coming off the bench for the last 30. Sometimes its worth grabbing a player who can do you a job for the right price - cheap and cheerful. Doesn't mean the toys need to go out the pram "this is the pool we are fishing in". Its a squad game

Also don't understand the comparisons with Billy. He's got nearly 5 years on him. Not unrealistic to expect a decent season out of him. Norwich have dropped off a fair bit this season which probably goes a long way to explaining why he's not banging them in. Pukki probably would have got 15 goals playing for us this season.

From Pukki’s perspective he may relish a shot with a promoted side that actually make a go of it… Norwich went down with a whimper both times with him didn’t they? We may not be investing big but we have a squad one would expect to stick together and fight tooth and nail.

Could be a new lease of life for him - think Didzy getting away from Ipswich.

I think people have to understand we are playing with VERY limited funds. To bring Pukki in on the free is a no brainer. He will improve our strikeforce.
All funds should be put towards renewing our midfield which is in desperate need of a revamp. If the mentioned 20m is true, bring in 2-3 midfielders and hope that Jebbs, Osula and Brewster turn into proper strikers on 1-2 years time.

Good bit of business if it happens and one that I expected. Not going to be our 'main' striker but one of a number we will rotate to give us options. Bit like when Man Utd signed Henrik Larsson in the twilight of his career, or when Warnock signed Wayne Allison or Neil Shipperley (the dirty dog) Kevin Phillips was another one who kept making this move late in his career - mainly coming off the bench for the last 30. Sometimes its worth grabbing a player who can do you a job for the right price - cheap and cheerful. Doesn't mean the toys need to go out the pram "this is the pool we are fishing in". Its a squad game

Also don't understand the comparisons with Billy. He's got nearly 5 years on him. Not unrealistic to expect a decent season out of him. Norwich have dropped off a fair bit this season which probably goes a long way to explaining why he's not banging them in. Pukki probably would have got 15 goals playing for us this season.
Also, with 8 fewer games in the Premier League it should be easier to keep players fit and healthy. Pukki could be an excellent signing.

From Pukki’s perspective he may relish a shot with a promoted side that actually make a go of it… Norwich went down with a whimper both times with him didn’t they? We may not be investing big but we have a squad one would expect to stick together and fight tooth and nail.

Could be a new lease of life for him - think Didzy getting away from Ipswich.
I think one point around the investment is that, whether it was well invested or not, it is still there in large parts.

It’s still there in McBurnie, in Berge and in Brewster.

Yes the other big fee, Ramsdale was sacrificed but it’s not as if this is a pure Championship squad going up. It has had and retained some of its prior investment.

Even the Bogle and Lowe deal means we are not relying on players who excelled in League One.

Whilst it’s sad to lose O’Connell, you don’t entirely lose that type of quality as we’ve managed to snare Anel.

I guess what I’m saying is £20m might not be much but it is adding to a higher base than the prior squad.

We just have to be a little bit smart and getting someone who is proven 11 goal scorer the last two times isn’t to be sniffed at. 11 goals would make him top scorer at 9/20 PL teams.

Have to agree. He lost his providers, and Norwich never replaced them. With a heavy heart, I say thank you Billy, but sadly, its time to call it a day with the blades.

I think one point around the investment is that, whether it was well invested or not, it is still there in large parts.

Yes the other big fee, Ramsdale was sacrificed but it’s not as if this is a pure Championship squad going up. It has had and retained some of its prior investment.

Even the Bogle and Lowe deal means we are not relying on players who excelled in League One.

Whilst it’s sad to lose O’Connell, you don’t entirely lose that type of quality as we’ve managed to snare Anel.

I guess what I’m saying is £20m might not be much but it is adding to a higher base than the prior squad.

We just have to be a little bit smart and getting someone who is proven 11 goal scorer the last two times isn’t to be sniffed at. 11 goals would make him top scorer at 9/20 PL teams.
I agree with that - can’t see how it has owt to do with what I said… but I agree with it.

I agree with that - can’t see how it has owt to do with what I said… but I agree with it.
It was just the part where you said “we may not be investing big”.

I thought it was worth mentioning that the team has retained some of the prior big investment 👍

My thoughts too re a better squad this time going up. If we can move on a few of the old guard, bring in younger hungry players especially in the middle of the park, and a couple of experienced lads on loan or on frees I think we have nothing to fear and should be very competitive. Ok we will be towards the bottom but the plan is to finish 4th bottom or higher.

Keeping Ndiaye is the key. If we need to sell Berge to try and ensure we get something for him before he walks away for free next summer then that makes sense. But we need to keep a firing and flying Ndiaye next season as that could be the difference. Get in midfield reinforcements and recruit well (even if not with big money) and I will be quietly optimistic for next season. Don't recruit in midfield and keep most of the old guard and we are fucked before we start. Midfield needs a complete makeover.

We have the battlers to make up for some shortcomings but we do need extra pace, power and energy in the team.

I think people have to understand we are playing with VERY limited funds. To bring Pukki in on the free is a no brainer. He will improve our strikeforce.
All funds should be put towards renewing our midfield which is in desperate need of a revamp. If the mentioned 20m is true, bring in 2-3 midfielders and hope that Jebbs, Osula and Brewster turn into proper strikers on 1-2 years time.
i agree but think we need another striker even if pukki comes in osula isnt ready and needs to go out on loan and i just cant see either mcburnie or brewster getting us the goals to keep us in the premier league but do also agree with midfield i think we need to bring 3 in fleck and osborn wont be with us next season

i agree but think we need another striker even if pukki comes in osula isnt ready and needs to go out on loan and i just cant see either mcburnie or brewster getting us the goals to keep us in the premier league but do also agree with midfield i think we need to bring 3 in fleck and osborn wont be with us next season
I think we are better off going one upfront. We will need as much support in the middle of the park and would probably benefit from playing an extra body in the midfield.

Brewster is still the unknown £20m piece in this jigsaw puzzle.
Kind of....what we do know is he's got a very weak hamstring. It's gone twice amd both were long term injuries which at his age doesn't bode well. Even if he comes good, the chances of him lasting a full season seems very low

Back
Top Bottom