Pukki on his way to BDTBL

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

All the EFL clubs are going through hard times and are desperate for money, surely some bargains to be had

According the bard (hmmm?), these are the top fees ever paid;

1. Ollie Watkins - £33 million (Brentford to Aston Villa, 2020)
  2. Ben Brereton Diaz - £21 million (Blackburn Rovers to Nottingham Forest, 2022)
  3. Keinan Davis - £18 million (Aston Villa to Nottingham Forest, 2022)
  4. Djed Spence - £15 million (Middlesbrough to Nottingham Forest, 2022)
  5. Lewis O'Brien - £15 million (Huddersfield Town to Bournemouth, 2022)
  6. Eberechi Eze - £16 million (QPR to Crystal Palace, 2020)
  7. Matty Cash - £16 million (Nottingham Forest to Aston Villa, 2020)
  8. Jean Michael Seri - £30 million (Nice to Fulham, 2018)
  9. Andre Gray - £18 million (Burnley to Watford, 2017)
  10. Said Benrahma - £16 million ( Brentford to West Ham United, 2021)
£20M is by no means a run of the mill fee for a championship footballer - it's clearly exceptional. They definitely were not exceptional. Commentators creaming up over Berge can be 50% attributed to reputation, and a name like Berge. Those actually with the money could have had him for £10m, and chose not to.

That list doesn’t look right to me.

Half of those were loans.

BBD was loaned to Blackburn before making the move permanent. From Forest, not the other way round.

Kienan Davies and Djed Spence were both also loans.

Also misses out some massive deals like Emi Buendia from Norwich to Villa which was reported as up to £40 million. I seem to recall that deal went through as Norwich passed between the two divisions.

We sold Ramsdale to Arsenal while in the championship for 30 odd million too didn’t we?

According the bard (hmmm?), these are the top fees ever paid;

1. Ollie Watkins - £33 million (Brentford to Aston Villa, 2020)
  2. Ben Brereton Diaz - £21 million (Blackburn Rovers to Nottingham Forest, 2022)
  3. Keinan Davis - £18 million (Aston Villa to Nottingham Forest, 2022)
  4. Djed Spence - £15 million (Middlesbrough to Nottingham Forest, 2022)
  5. Lewis O'Brien - £15 million (Huddersfield Town to Bournemouth, 2022)
  6. Eberechi Eze - £16 million (QPR to Crystal Palace, 2020)
  7. Matty Cash - £16 million (Nottingham Forest to Aston Villa, 2020)
  8. Jean Michael Seri - £30 million (Nice to Fulham, 2018)
  9. Andre Gray - £18 million (Burnley to Watford, 2017)
  10. Said Benrahma - £16 million ( Brentford to West Ham United, 2021)
£20M is by no means a run of the mill fee for a championship footballer - it's clearly exceptional. They definitely were not exceptional. Commentators creaming up over Berge can be 50% attributed to reputation, and a name like Berge. Those actually with the money could have had him for £10m, and chose not to.
Really? Do you sense check what Bard is producing?

Watkins is correct.
Brereton Diaz moved from Forest to Blackburn in 2019 for £7m. He's leaving on a free this summer.
Keinan Davis is still a Villa player. He went on loan to Forest last season and to Watford this season
Djed Spence moved to Spurs last summer for £15m. Not Forest.
Lewis O'Brien moved to Forest last summer for £8m. Not Bournemouth.
Eze is correct
Matty Cash moved to Villa for £14m.
Seri moved to Fulham on a free transfer when they were a PL team.
Andre Gray moved to Watford when they were a PL team
Benrahma was a £25m transfer: West Ham paid £5m loan fee then a further £20m to make it permanent

The correct list is, I believe:
  1. Watkins £28m rising to £33m, Brentford to Villa
  2. Godfrey £27.5m, Norwich to Everton
  3. Ramsdale £24m rising to £30m, United to Arsenal
  4. Benrahma £25m, Brentford to West Ham
  5. Maddison £25m, Norwich to Leicester
  6. Bellingham £22m, Birmingham to Dortmund
  7. Bowen £20m, Hull to West Ham
  8. Webster £20m, Bristol C to Brighton
  9. Maupay £20m, Brentford to Brighton
  10. McBurnie £17m rising to £20m, Swansea to United
There's also Wijnaldum, Sissoko, Sessegnon and Pickford whose teams were technically Championship sides when they left but as far as I know they all moved before the season kicked off.

Really? Do you sense check what Bard is producing?

Watkins is correct.
Brereton Diaz moved from Forest to Blackburn in 2019 for £7m. He's leaving on a free this summer.
Keinan Davis is still a Villa player. He went on loan to Forest last season and to Watford this season
Djed Spence moved to Spurs last summer for £15m. Not Forest.
Lewis O'Brien moved to Forest last summer for £8m. Not Bournemouth.
Eze is correct
Matty Cash moved to Villa for £14m.
Seri moved to Fulham on a free transfer when they were a PL team.
Andre Gray moved to Watford when they were a PL team
Benrahma was a £25m transfer: West Ham paid £5m loan fee then a further £20m to make it permanent

The correct list is, I believe:
  1. Watkins £28m rising to £33m, Brentford to Villa
  2. Godfrey £27.5m, Norwich to Everton
  3. Ramsdale £24m rising to £30m, United to Arsenal
  4. Benrahma £25m, Brentford to West Ham
  5. Maddison £25m, Norwich to Leicester
  6. Bellingham £22m, Birmingham to Dortmund
  7. Bowen £20m, Hull to West Ham
  8. Webster £20m, Bristol C to Brighton
  9. Maupay £20m, Brentford to Brighton
  10. McBurnie £17m rising to £20m, Swansea to United
There's also Wijnaldum, Sissoko, Sessegnon and Pickford whose teams were technically Championship sides when they left but as far as I know they all moved before the season kicked off.

Yes, I did write (hmmmm) straight after, as I wasn't convinced. However, you've just produced a list with the same conclusion - £20M is an exceptional fee for a championship footballer, unless you're reading that data some other way?

Reactions: HVR
That list doesn’t look right to me.

Half of those were loans.

BBD was loaned to Blackburn before making the move permanent. From Forest, not the other way round.

Kienan Davies and Djed Spence were both also loans.

Also misses out some massive deals like Emi Buendia from Norwich to Villa which was reported as up to £40 million. I seem to recall that deal went through as Norwich passed between the two divisions.

We sold Ramsdale to Arsenal while in the championship for 30 odd million too didn’t we?

Aye, Bard is clearly shite. But see above. :)

Yes, I did write (hmmmm) straight after, as I wasn't convinced. However, you've just produced a list with the same conclusion - £20M is an exceptional fee for a championship footballer, unless you're reading that data some other way?
£20m is probably the going rate for an average-to-good PL footballer. The fact is that you will likely only get an average PL footballer from the Championship despite paying the inflated fee.

The other side of the coin is the number of players who move between the two divisions for less. Taken from Transfermarkt (add pinch of salt...). It's not many.

Lewis-Potter £15m Hull to Brentford
Spence £15m Middlesbrough to Spurs
Tavernier £10m Middlesbrough to Bournemouth
Semenya £9m Bristol C to Bournemouth (Jan)
O'Brien £8m Huddersfield to Forest
Taffolo £2m Huddersfield to Forest
Bowler £2m Blackpool to Forest
Bree £700k Luton to Southampton (Jan)
Bentley £50k Bristol C to Wolves
Rothwell free Blackburn to Bournemouth
Johnstone free West Brom to Palace
Smithies free Cardiff to Leicester

£20m is probably the going rate for an average-to-good PL footballer. The fact is that you will likely only get an average PL footballer from the Championship despite paying the inflated fee.

The other side of the coin is the number of players who move between the two divisions for less. Taken from Transfermarkt (add pinch of salt...). It's not many.

Agreed. Buy my point is that £20m puts you in the top 10 costly players ever to have played in the championship - I wouldn’t put them near that bracket. 👍

Tavernier the only one to make an impact off that list. Turned into a cracking signing for Bournemouth...

Unless he's going to be our main striker (and god help us if he is), I just don't see the point. I would like to see us use a loan spot for someone we could not afford to buy as the main forward alongside Illi. Failing that, I would prefer any of McBurnie, Brewster, Jebbo or Osula to Pukki.

Unless he's going to be our main striker (and god help us if he is), I just don't see the point. I would like to see us use a loan spot for someone we could not afford to buy as the main forward alongside Illi. Failing that, I would prefer any of McBurnie, Brewster, Jebbo or Osula to Pukki.
I can’t pretend that this signing would excite me - but I would back Pukki to score more than any of those you’ve listed. He’s got PL experience and has proven he can score at that level even in struggling teams. Can’t say the same of any of our current strikers.

If we sign him I’d hope we are also going to pick up a more exciting striker at some point (maybe a loan) with the younger players being loaned out… I’m in the Jebbo, Osula and maybe even Brewster not ready for PL right now camp, so I’d be looking to loan 2 of them out then reassess in Jan.

disagree only 1 of those 4 would get more than pukki imo and thats jebbo mcburnie and brewster are nowhere near good enough for the premier league and osula needs to go out on loan 2 strikers needed for me pukki could be one the other needs to be a young striker possibly on loan

Pukki would be a very decent signing for us provided it's in on no more than a 2 year contract and he comes up north wanting to prove a point and contribute. If he's still got the appetite then I think he would do a great job for us next season and be a very cute signing.

i think he could sign for us looking like its free transfers and loans for us this summer

Ok shoot me down if you want because I'm not usually ITK. A colleague of mine in Norwich, who's wife apparently knows Pukki's wife, has told me Blades are very close to signing Pukki. Wages not really an issue, but Pukki wants a 3 year contract and will then call it a day on football. Blades do not want to commit to that long and will go to 2 years at a push.

I suppose it depends on the financials of the final year, but both parties are trying to do a deal.
Is your mate called Pliskin.

Always thought he would end up stateside with the way he talked about new challenges and new experiences. Good luck to the lad and hopefully we can get a younger striker instead.

wouldnt have minded pukki on a free but by not pursuing him it tells me hecky has another striker lined up maybe its this traore although i would like to see 2 new strikers coming in

For me Pukki has looked a busted flush for the last 2 seasons.
He's no longer Prem level IMHO and MLS is probably a wise move for him. Not sure Minnesota would have been my first choice there though!

Sorry about the mis info here guys. As I said at the time I'm not ITK so either my colleague was having a giraffe with me or it was real but the deal just didn't work out. I guess i'll never know.

Not been hiding away btw lol ..... I just rarely visit this forum during the close season ... we are Blades, usually fuck all goes on for us in the close season.

Back
Top Bottom