Pukki on his way to BDTBL

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

maybe we should go for Cameron Jerome as well?

So much for adding signings with re-sale value..

It's a squad game, if he's happy to come in and play a role that supports the team I don't mind it.

He shouldn't be first choice but we need strong back-ups and he reasonably fits the bill.

I have a friend who is a Norwich fan and he told me Pukki would still be a good signing for us. He said Pukki still has his pace but on the negative side he hasn't been as effective at Norwich since they lost Buendia to Villa as Buendia supplied many if his goals. We do have Ndiaye and Berge (for now of course) who I think could definitely give him some supply up there. I've watched many of his goals over the years and he is ideal for a team playing on the counter attack with the ball over the top and through one on one. We're likely to be playing counter attack football next season for sure so I think he could actually be a good signing. He's not physical like Billy is which is a bit disappointing but he does chip in with assists also; he got eight this season which is impressive. He has hardly missed a game for Norwich so he isn't injury prone and on a free transfer it represents decent value to spend money on transfers/loan fees on other players.

He wanted to leave last season at Norwich but they activated a one year extension clause meaning he had to stay and I think doing that is always risky because the player doesn't want to be there. I remember how Michael Brown wasn't the same player in his last few months when he wanted a move as a comparison. Ok, he's 33 now, but as I said he is still fit and can play 40 plus games every season and if we can get him back to form then he could turn out to be a really decent signing. We've seen many a player 30 or over come here and do really well including where their last club didn't care whether said player stayed or not and said they were past it and needed a move. David McGoldrick springs to mind. I think if he does come it could be a great piece of business.

personally i rate jebbo more than mcburnie ok hes raw especially with his finishing but i cant see mcburnie troubling many premier league centre backs next season
I think Jebbo has everything he needs to be a better player. Right now, in my view he needs a breakout season where he plays most weeks and scores 20 goals at Championship level.
We can loan a better first choice forward for this season if need be, and that’s if you don’t rate McBurnie.

I have a friend who is a Norwich fan and he told me Pukki would still be a good signing for us. He said Pukki still has his pace but on the negative side he hasn't been as effective at Norwich since they lost Buendia to Villa as Buendia supplied many if his goals. We do have Ndiaye and Berge (for now of course) who I think could definitely give him some supply up there. I've watched many of his goals over the years and he is ideal for a team playing on the counter attack with the ball over the top and through one on one. We're likely to be playing counter attack football next season for sure so I think he could actually be a good signing. He's not physical like Billy is which is a bit disappointing but he does chip in with assists also; he got eight this season which is impressive. He has hardly missed a game for Norwich so he isn't injury prone and on a free transfer it represents decent value to spend money on transfers/loan fees on other players.

He wanted to leave last season at Norwich but they activated a one year extension clause meaning he had to stay and I think doing that is always risky because the player doesn't want to be there. I remember how Michael Brown wasn't the same player in his last few months when he wanted a move as a comparison. Ok, he's 33 now, but as I said he is still fit and can play 40 plus games every season and if we can get him back to form then he could turn out to be a really decent signing. We've seen many a player 30 or over come here and do really well including where their last club didn't care whether said player stayed or not and said they were past it and needed a move. David McGoldrick springs to mind. I think if he does come it could be a great piece of business.
If we could swap Sharp for Pukki, I think it would be a good signing. Problem is, I reckon he'd want more than one year, and I'm not sure about that.

I think Jebbo has everything he needs to be a better player. Right now, in my view he needs a breakout season where he plays most weeks and scores 20 goals at Championship level.
We can loan a better first choice forward for this season if need be, and that’s if you don’t rate McBurnie.
Other than youth, the only attribute I see from Jebbo that McBurnie doesn't have is pace.
McBurnie has had a 22 goal season in the Championship before, until Jebbo gets 22 starts (at that level) let alone goals there's not really much comparison.

If we could swap Sharp for Pukki, I think it would be a good signing. Problem is, I reckon he'd want more than one year, and I'm not sure about that.

Depends how the deal is weighted. A lot of deals we do seem to be weighted in our favour. Our option to extend a contract is usually activated by us not the player. I think we learnt from being burned by Dean Hammond.

I think a 1 year + 1 year option is good for both us and him.

We could do some sort of deal where he gets an extension after staying in the PL, but ends as normal if we go down... protecting us financially in both circumstances

We could do some sort of deal where he gets an extension after staying in the PL, but ends as normal if we go down... protecting us financially in both circumstances
I'm sure we'll attempt that but it's upto the player what he accepts.
Although, he won't get many/any more Premier league clubs come calling.

Other than youth, the only attribute I see from Jebbo that McBurnie doesn't have is pace.
McBurnie has had a 22 goal season in the Championship before, until Jebbo gets 22 starts (at that level) let alone goals there's not really much comparison.
Jebbo has 20 appearances at PL or Championship level and 20 at league one, returning 11 goals. By the same age Ollie had played 29 games scoring 5 goals at conference level and 3 in 8 in league two.
Ollie then went to Barnsley and got his 9 in 17 which got him a starting place back at Swansea for his big season.
Jebbo is ahead if you had to compare careers at his stage.
He looks technically a better player, strong given he’s not fully developed yet, and has shown that his aggression and work rate have improved.
He’s not as good as McBurnie at the moment in my view, and it’s not particularly close and he’s also inconsistent, but he’s 19 that’s exactly what you would expect. He has shown glimpses of what could be though, again not consistently but it’s enough to be excited as to what he could be for us when he’s 22/23.
Give him a consistent run in the Championship for a couple of seasons and I think we could have a better player than McBurnie on our hands, and I like and rate McBurnie. But Jebbo needs to deliver on his promise and really kick on, work on his shortcomings and establish himself as a top Championship centre forward.
If Billy is moving on, signing someone like Pukin makes sense on a shorter term deal to give us the option to allow Jebbo to develop.

Last edited:
A short term Sharp replacement if true. A better finisher than anyone at the club. He may benefit from playing up front with a partner rather than as a lone striker as he's been doing for Norwich
That said, he's looked a shadow of his former self in the last 2 seasons.

Jebbo has 20 appearances at PL or Championship level and 20 at league one, returning 11 goals. By the same age Ollie had played 29 games scoring 5 goals at conference level and 3 in 8 in league two.
Ollie then went to Barnsley and got his 9 in 17 which got him a starting place back at Swansea for his big season.
Jebbo is ahead if you had to compare careers at his stage.
He looks technically a better player, strong given he’s not fully developed yet, and has shown that his aggression and work rate have improved.
He’s not as good as McBurnie at the moment in my view, and it’s not particularly close and he’s also inconsistent, but he’s 19 that’s exactly what you would expect. He has shown glimpses of what could be though, again not consistently but it’s enough to be excited as to what he could be for us when he’s 22/23.
Give him a consistent run in the Championship for a couple of seasons and I think we could have a better player than McBurnie on our hands, and I like and rate McBurnie. But Jebbo needs to deliver on his promise and really kick on, work on his shortcomings and establish himself as a top Championship centre forward.
If Billy is moving on, signing someone like Pukin makes sense on a shorter term deal to give us the option to allow Jebbo to develop.
I understand he has time, but all teenager's do. He currently looks like an athlete to me and listening to Hecky talk about him he brings up his physical attributes a lot mote than his technique and ability too.
I want him to succeed, and succeed with us I just think 1) McBurnie is criminally underrated and 2) for Oli to lose his place (with some fans) especially in the Prem to a player we are purely judging on potential I find strange.

I understand he has time, but all teenager's do. He currently looks like an athlete to me and listening to Hecky talk about him he brings up his physical attributes a lot mote than his technique and ability too.
I want him to succeed, and succeed with us I just think 1) McBurnie is criminally underrated and 2) for Oli to lose his place (with some fans) especially in the Prem to a player we are purely judging on potential I find strange.
I think we’re in agreement with McBurnie, I honestly think he could become a club legend and stay with us a long time be that Championship or PL, but I think if he realises his potential Jebbo would be with us one maybe two seasons after his breakout before moving on. I don’t think Ollie would have lots of takers for the price we’d want so we just need to ensure he doesn’t run his deal down.
I’d be offering him new terms right now on a long term contract.

ive never rated mcburnie bob and got slated on here many times for saying so but i stick with it no way hes going to trouble the numerous international centre backs in the premier league i like jebbos enthusiasm and pace mcburnie for me can only be 4/5th choice striker next season

I'd imagine we're going to be less attacking in the prem to what we were in the championship, and if you discount Pukki's record last season and look at his career overall, he wouldn't be a bad addition to our current strike force, providing we don't lose anyone either
Not necessarily…lots of teams in the PL, particularly away from home, defend in numbers and break quickly on the counter. We’re still going to need to break teams down at home, find ways of getting through obdurate defences and press, press, press to get the the ball back high up the pitch.

We’re also going to need to be able to break quickly ourselves, to get the ball up the pitch as fast as possible.

And we’re also going to need to be able to defend against quick, incisive attacks.

We’re gonna need pace, physicality and total PL fitness in all our players.

I’m not totally against signing Pukki, but imho that particular signing doesn’t address the majority of the issues we need to confront and solve

Exactly what we need
Not anymore I doubt. 7 goals in 36 games and 2 assists isn't pulling up many trees. Admittedly, I've not seen him play this season much but it appears that his career is on the decline of late. He has his problems with injury also. I think we can do better than Joao but many will say the same on Pukki but I'd rather have Pukki over Joao myself.
A short term Sharp replacement if true. A better finisher than anyone at the club. He may benefit from playing up front with a partner rather than as a lone striker as he's been doing for Norwich
That said, he's looked a shadow of his former self in the last 2 seasons.
Pukki scored 11 goals not last season but the season before in the PL and got the Norwich City player of the season award so I don't think he's not been himself for the last two seasons. Last season he didn't do as well but Norwich as a whole looked very average this season, he does need supplying like most forwards do and I think given chances he'd take more than he'd miss playing for us.

Pukki was the first name I thought of when the season ended, as I knew he was out of contract. I'd be dead happy signing him. If we could land McAtee on loan for the season then that would be a great start for our attack.

Brereton Diaz at Blackburn is also out of contract this summer, as is former Southampton midfielder Nathan Redmond.

We can only dream and cross our fingers.

Last edited:
It seems highly likely to me that we're going to completely waste Jebbison and Osula

We'll have fucked the contracts up, we'll have fucked the loans up, we'll fuck the game time up, and will probably end up with less than 5m for them combined. Then they'll have great careers elsewhere

No idea of the facts but it's a rumour that I can easily believe may well be true.

Pukki was the first name I thought of when the season ended, as I knew he was out of contract. I'd be dead happy signing him. If we could land McAtee on loan for the season then that would be a great start for our attack.

Brereton Diaz at Blackburn is also out of contract this summer, as is former Southampton midfielder Nathan Redmond.

Brereton Diaz had gone to Villarreal. And he's been pony this year. One season wonder.

I wouldn’t class any of them as “dream” signings.

Pukki on a free, yes, I'd take him, one year + option on a second.
Saves paying out for a finisher, build up a decent amount of PL money, theen look to buyin 2024

Pukki is a very good footballer. He may have been shite against us at Carrow Road this season but he was excellent at the Lane. Would be a great replacement for Billy but can't be more than a 2 year deal.

I find myself flip flopping a bit on this one.

On one hand I wasn’t that impressed when we played them away. But then again I wasn’t that impressed with them as a team overall and we all know it's difficult for strikers to look great when they're getting no chances.

Can’t deny at Bramall Lane he showed a clinical side that would be very useful.

I was keen when we were discussing the end of season in January and thinking this would be shrewd and that other teams at the top level would be too snobbish to attempt.

But, having reflected once more he’s 2 years younger than Didzy. So he’s the same age as when Didzy was effectively the outfield player of the year in the PL.

He’s 4 years younger than Sharp so still 2 years younger than when Billy was playing in the Premier League.

He's twice scored more than 10 in the PL. Out best was McBurnie/Mousset 6 and then Didzy 8.

In 19/20 he got 11 goals in 36 games and 3 assists.

In 20/21 back in the Championship he got 26 goals and 4 assists in 41 games.

Last season in another Prem relegation he got 11 goals and 3 assists in 32 matches.

This season, a poor season for Norwich, he's still got 10 goals but also added 7 assist, so 17 goal contributions in 41 games.

For no fee, he's a good all-rounder to complete the forward options. Him and McBurnie gives a good base. Ndiaye should be there. It's just then a question of what is the best for Brewster, Jebbison and Osula.

You'd have some comfort at the top of the pitch there. Just hopefully we can be sensible with contracts and make the right decisions with loans. As I think FallowfieldBlade said Brewster on loan to Eresdivisie or Ligue Un, Jebbo to the Championship and Osula to League One all as starters would set them up well for the following season. Question is though, would the players buy into that or will they see the PL and think this is their breakthrough chance? Less so Osula. But Jebbo might fancy it and Brewster might not welcome being shipped off overseas.

Either way, there is room to shuffle if Pukki comes in, so I'm back onboard.

We can then focus on making us have a functioning midfield.

I find myself flip flopping a bit on this one.

On one hand I wasn’t that impressed when we played them away. But then again I wasn’t that impressed with them as a team overall and we all know it's difficult for strikers to look great when they're getting no chances.

Can’t deny at Bramall Lane he showed a clinical side that would be very useful.

I was keen when we were discussing the end of season in January and thinking this would be shrewd and that other teams at the top level would be too snobbish to attempt.

But, having reflected once more he’s 2 years younger than Didzy. So he’s the same age as when Didzy was effectively the outfield player of the year in the PL.

He’s 4 years younger than Sharp so still 2 years younger than when Billy was playing in the Premier League.

He's twice scored more than 10 in the PL. Out best was McBurnie/Mousset 6 and then Didzy 8.

In 19/20 he got 11 goals in 36 games and 3 assists.

In 20/21 back in the Championship he got 26 goals and 4 assists in 41 games.

Last season in another Prem relegation he got 11 goals and 3 assists in 32 matches.

This season, a poor season for Norwich, he's still got 10 goals but also added 7 assist, so 17 goal contributions in 41 games.

For no fee, he's a good all-rounder to complete the forward options. Him and McBurnie gives a good base. Ndiaye should be there. It's just then a question of what is the best for Brewster, Jebbison and Osula.

You'd have some comfort at the top of the pitch there. Just hopefully we can be sensible with contracts and make the right decisions with loans. As I think FallowfieldBlade said Brewster on loan to Eresdivisie or Ligue Un, Jebbo to the Championship and Osula to League One all as starters would set them up well for the following season. Question is though, would the players buy into that or will they see the PL and think this is their breakthrough chance? Less so Osula. But Jebbo might fancy it and Brewster might not welcome being shipped off overseas.

Either way, there is room to shuffle if Pukki comes in, so I'm back onboard.

We can then focus on making us have a functioning midfield.

Turkey might be the go for Brewdog.

Eligible to play for Turkey on his mothers side, may want to show them what he can do over there.

i think theres a much better chance of pukki scoring goals for us in the premier league than brewster really hope im wrong but just cant see brewster doing owt at the lane hes had enough chances

i think theres a much better chance of pukki scoring goals for us in the premier league than brewster really hope im wrong but just cant see brewster doing owt at the lane hes had enough chances

Not sure really, but there might be more chance that Pukki plays more games than Brewster due to Brewsters injury record?

Incidentally, I’m not slagging Brewster because I still believe he has something to offer, but a sustained run in the side is needed and he just doesn’t seem able to sustain it with the injury setbacks he’s suffered

Back
Top Bottom