Pukki on his way to BDTBL

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I think we are better off going one upfront. We will need as much support in the middle of the park and would probably benefit from playing an extra body in the midfield.
ive said this numerous times on different threads play 1 up front and get an extra body in to midfield were not going to have enough possesion to warrant playing 2 up top and pukki can still play that role with illiman and berge in behind we have to sign 2 possibly 3 good midfielders this summer and one of them has to be a physical defensive midfielder choudray would fit the bill nicely

ive said this numerous times on different threads play 1 up front and get an extra body in to midfield were not going to have enough possesion to warrant playing 2 up top and pukki can still play that role with illiman and berge in behind we have to sign 2 possibly 3 good midfielders this summer and one of them has to be a physical defensive midfielder choudray would fit the bill nicely
Agree - Berge and Ndiaye linking to the front but also mucking in in midfield would work nicely I reckon (with McAtee coming back to compete for the same slots ideally). If we need to throw bodies upfront Ndiaye is more than capable of joining the striker.

To make this work at PL level we need some extra umph in defensive midfield. The dream for me is a 3 - 4 - 2 - 1 with a central defensive midfield pairing of Doyle and someone like Choudhury or Coady (to use names linked/mentioned).

Need to play 2 up top in premiership, especially as McBurnie can't control it when when we him to, end s up running from one side of the pitch to the other all game. 2 up front Pukki & whoever, with Ndiaye behind, Berge & hopefully McAtee/Doyle, 2 wing back linking with midfield

We won’t have much possession against maybe 5 or 6 teams, but the other 13 or 14 teams it should be pretty even.

I’d be a bit disappointed if we’re going to be playing one up front against the likes of Forest, Bournemouth, Wolves, Palace etc. especially at home.

Pukki is one season removed from getting 11 in the Prem.
Two seasons removed from getting 26 in the Championship, and another 11 in the Prem again the season before that.

At 33 this isn't the bad signing some people are making it out to be.

Pukki is one season removed from getting 11 in the Prem.
Two seasons removed from getting 26 in the Championship, and another 11 in the Prem again the season before that.

At 33 this isn't the bad signing some people are making it out to be.
I agree! I'm 33 and I still think I'd do a good job for United 🤔

Need to play 2 up top in premiership, especially as McBurnie can't control it when when we him to, end s up running from one side of the pitch to the other all game. 2 up front Pukki & whoever, with Ndiaye behind, Berge & hopefully McAtee/Doyle, 2 wing back linking with midfield
The beauty of Ndiaye’s ability and attacking fluidity is that he can play in a front 2 or in a 1 behind the front 2, or in a 2 behind a front 1. So as long we keep him and he’s fit we can shift the shape around up top during games without making substitutions.

I worry a centre-mid pairing that includes Berge might be a bit vulnerable against PL attacks. I’d prefer to see Doyle playing the box-to-box role with a more defensive minded CM next to him.

We all see it slightly differently I suppose.

disagree most premier teams play 4231 we would be outnumbered in midfield most games whats the point of playing 2 strikers when we wont see the ball enough to get it up to them

The beauty of Ndiaye’s ability and attacking fluidity is that he can play in a front 2 or in a 1 behind the front 2, or in a 2 behind a front 1. So as long we keep him and he’s fit we can shift the shape around up top during games without making substitutions.

I worry a centre-mid pairing that includes Berge might be a bit vulnerable against PL attacks. I’d prefer to see Doyle playing the box-to-box role with a more defensive minded CM next to him.

We all see it slightly differently I suppose.
as you posted 3421 is the system we should be playing in the premier league pukki would be a decent option for that spot up top but would still prefer us to bring a young hungry striker in cameron archer for me

disagree most premier teams play 4231 we would be outnumbered in midfield most games whats the point of playing 2 strikers when we wont see the ball enough to get it up to them
I dunno…it’s a bit more complex than that, I think. We might see quite a lot of the ball at home. A lot of teams will sit in and wait for us to make a mistake so they can hit us on the break.

Admittedly some will press us aggressively high…so we have to find ways of getting the ball forward quickly that’s not aimless hoof. Two up front at home might not be a bad idea. Sometimes.

We’ll have to be flexible and innovative.

We might see quite a lot of the ball at home. A lot of teams will sit in and wait for us to make a mistake
They won’t be waiting long.

As things stand Hecky has got both his hands (and feet) tied behind his back. I admit he has earned his chance to give the PL a go but if he’s that hamstrung that we think Pukki might be a slightly better option than Billy we are foooooked.

If this (a) takeover doesn’t happen before transfer window and funds are made available for transfers AND PL wages, 23/24 season will be another novelty visit with the proceeds used to keep us running on a shoestring for a season or two.

Only thing that gets survival int PL is brass and lots of it (and lots of brass doesn’t always work). And if that brass were to come in we need someone with experience in buying PL players not veterans that might squeeze another season on a retirement contract. Otherwise with all due respect to Hecky he could do a Wider and pi55 it up a wall on crocks and dross.

Unless we are funded and run like a PL club from infrastructure, academy, players, wages, catering etc we heading in one direction and we know it.

We won’t have much possession against maybe 5 or 6 teams, but the other 13 or 14 teams it should be pretty even.

I’d be a bit disappointed if we’re going to be playing one up front against the likes of Forest, Bournemouth, Wolves, Palace etc. especially at home.

Brings back memories of Warnock insisting one one up front every away game, regardless of opposition.

Brings back memories of Warnock insisting one one up front every away game, regardless of opposition.

It was like two different teams. I get home advantage, but we looked like the Washington Generals rocking up for a testimonial at every team. So many were there for the taking that season. We’d have got into Europe under Wilder’s season if we played in Warnock’s.

Even so, they still represent a decent uptick for a newly promoted team.

Who know? Maybe some come good second time around?
I think we know what we get form Berge now - and though he's not been a good value signing, he's been far from a flop. Similar with McBurnie. But I don't think either will excel in the premier league.

Brewster - I just don't see it, even at Championship level.

But as someone pointed out elsewhere - Coutts was shite for 2 years, before becoming a "legend".

Who knows? :)

I think we know what we get form Berge now - and though he's not been a good value signing, he's been far from a flop. Similar with McBurnie. But I don't think either will excel in the premier league.

But as someone pointed out elsewhere - Coutts was shite for 2 years, before becoming a "legend".

If they had longer contracts, I think McBurnie and Berge would still worth close to transfer fee we paid for them.

Given their ages and performances last season, they are still £20m players.

If they had longer contracts, I think McBurnie and Berge would still worth close to transfer fee we paid for them.

Not for me - but I hope you’re right. 👍

Coutts wasn't injured though for over half of his time with us and when Coutts had played he wasn't crap he just looked average/not bothered although I'm sure he was. He seemed to just keep things simple and didn't really add much to the side until Wilder came and transformed him into the best centre mid in the league. In fairness to Coutts he probably just needed the right manager and system to get the best out of him.

Brewster on the other hand has looked worse than what we have (granted we have some decent forwards), he's still got the same manager and system so they'll not be any changes there and most importantly we're going up a division which is going to be even harder for Brewster to make a mark in the side - if fit, and that's a big if!

If fit I think the best thing would be to loan him out to a Championship club quite honestly, see how he does and we can recall him in January if needs be. He's out of contract next summer and I can't see him getting a new deal as things stand. It would be interesting to see if he would have been one of those released had he been out of contract now.

Coutts wasn't injured though for over half of his time with us and when Coutts had played he wasn't crap he just looked average/not bothered although I'm sure he was. He seemed to just keep things simple and didn't really add much to the side until Wilder came and transformed him into the best centre mid in the league. In fairness to Coutts he probably just needed the right manager and system to get the best out of him.

Brewster on the other hand has looked worse than what we have (granted we have some decent forwards), he's still got the same manager and system so they'll not be any changes there and most importantly we're going up a division which is going to be even harder for Brewster to make a mark in the side - if fit, and that's a big if!

If fit I think the best thing would be to loan him out to a Championship club quite honestly, see how he does and we can recall him in January if needs be. He's out of contract next summer and I can't see him getting a new deal as things stand. It would be interesting to see if he would have been one of those released had he been out of contract now.
I think he'd be best to drop to league one - he's by no means guaranteed to start anywhere in the championship, and first and foremost he needs games.

He wont drop to league one though.

If we tried to sign a striker from a Championship club who scored 15 goals, how much would he cost? I doubt there would be much change out of £20m.

Same with Berge, you listen to the commentators when we played, they always rated him. So a midfielder seen as up there with the best in the Championship ain’t going to be cheap.

£20m isn’t a very big fee these days, so a player doesn’t need to be anything special to command that sort of fee.

I
I think he'd be best to drop to league one - he's by no means guaranteed to start anywhere in the championship, and first and foremost he needs games.

He wont drop to league one though.
I could see him doing well in the Championship and on the counter for us perhaps in the PL but he isn't fit enough and we can't carry him just for sub role when he's likely to be injured again. Got to be at present the worse signing we've ever made, sadly but when he joined I thought he was going to be great.

If we tried to sign a striker from a Championship club who scored 15 goals, how much would he cost? I doubt there would be much change out of £20m.

Same with Berge, you listen to the commentators when we played, they always rated him. So a midfielder seen as up there with the best in the Championship ain’t going to be cheap.

£20m isn’t a very big fee these days, so a player doesn’t need to be anything special to command that sort of fee.
According the bard (hmmm?), these are the top fees ever paid;

1. Ollie Watkins - £33 million (Brentford to Aston Villa, 2020)
  2. Ben Brereton Diaz - £21 million (Blackburn Rovers to Nottingham Forest, 2022)
  3. Keinan Davis - £18 million (Aston Villa to Nottingham Forest, 2022)
  4. Djed Spence - £15 million (Middlesbrough to Nottingham Forest, 2022)
  5. Lewis O'Brien - £15 million (Huddersfield Town to Bournemouth, 2022)
  6. Eberechi Eze - £16 million (QPR to Crystal Palace, 2020)
  7. Matty Cash - £16 million (Nottingham Forest to Aston Villa, 2020)
  8. Jean Michael Seri - £30 million (Nice to Fulham, 2018)
  9. Andre Gray - £18 million (Burnley to Watford, 2017)
  10. Said Benrahma - £16 million ( Brentford to West Ham United, 2021)
£20M is by no means a run of the mill fee for a championship footballer - it's clearly exceptional. They definitely were not exceptional. Commentators creaming up over Berge can be 50% attributed to reputation, and a name like Berge. Those actually with the money could have had him for £10m, and chose not to.

Back
Top Bottom