Poll : We Want Red & Stripes Front and Back on Home Strip

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Red and White Stripes Front and Back

• Yes

Votes: 347 92.3%
  • No

Votes: 29 7.7%

• Total voters

Every single team who plays in stripes in the 20/21 Championship season had stripes on the front and back of their shirts.

A676D003-FD5E-4B30-9D35-03B31B742FE7.jpeg

So riddle me that one, Batman.

Terrible mate
If I'm honest it was the most gut wrenching defeat, I mean Millennium Stadium was bad, but we were out of that by half time, but 97 at Wembley was soul destroying. At full time me and stack's of others just stood or sat there in total disbelief, I think it was Hopkin for Palace could be wrong and Tracey was off his line.

If I'm honest it was the most gut wrenching defeat, I mean Millennium Stadium was bad, but we were out of that by half time, but 97 at Wembley was soul destroying. At full time me and stack's of others just stood or sat there in total disbelief, I think it was Hopkin for Palace could be wrong and Tracey was off his line.
Yes mate hit a hopeful shot and caught us out. Stood in disbelief

Wow so it does appear I was correct all along not to blow my own trumpet or anything my DMS are open for apologies 🔜🔛🔝

ashsufc1889 originaltrueblade

No, you said it was the football league rules, the article clearly states that it's due to the 'global design' that Adidas push.

"Fans do want full stripes on the back of their shirts, but adidas's global design doesn't have it, so with a brand that size you are limited on how much you can change."

If you're reading this Paul Reeves stop talking bollcks and explain why Weeds can get stripes on shirts from Adidas and we can't. Is it simply because you can't be arsed and its in the too difficult box? Do you not understand that stripes on the back of shirts and sleeves is in the DNA of Sheffield United, perhaps you can pass that onto Adidas and the 92.7% voting preference in this poll.

"Fans do want full stripes on the back of their shirts, but adidas's global design doesn't have it, so with a brand that size you are limited on how much you can change."

If you're reading this Paul Reeves stop talking bollcks and explain why Weeds can get stripes on shirts from Adidas and we can't. Is it simply because you can't be arsed and its in the too difficult box? Do you not understand that stripes on the back of shirts and sleeves is in the DNA of Sheffield United, perhaps you can pass that onto Adidas and the 92.7% voting preference in this poll.
That leeds shit in red and white stripes with red collar and cuffs would suit me.

Wow so it does appear I was correct all along not to blow my own trumpet or anything my DMS are open for apologies 🔜🔛🔝

So the poll is useless as there's an 18 month lead time, but 18 months ago we were all moaning that there were no stripes on the back of our kit aswell, so fingers crossed.

Perhaps cuz Leeds are Adidas tier one and we ain’t

Perhaps cuz Leeds are Adidas tier one and we ain’t

It'll be interesting to see Leeds kit quality this season, because like us they got special treatment in their first season, had a the extras on the back of their neck and stuff, like we did with out first Prem effort with Adidas.

Then the second season we got a worse quality see through kit, even if you like the design it doesn't feel like a quality product like 19/20 or even 18/19.

I think a more pertinent question, and perhaps one worthy of an off-season thread (nothing major, only aiming for 300 posts) is what happened to threaded, sown on badges? What is wrong with them on a 70 GBP+ bit of merch?

I’ve personally taken to cutting off my macron ones and putting them in a drawer, safe in the knowledge that I’m somehow sticking it to the man, whilst also creating more random stuff in a drawer I’m never going to use.

One day, looking for a spare battery is going to spur me into action and I shall buy some $30 addidas shorts and properly “bladify” them.

I think a more pertinent question, and perhaps one worthy of an off-season thread (nothing major, only aiming for 300 posts) is what happened to threaded, sown on badges? What is wrong with them on a 70 GBP+ bit of merch?

I’ve personally taken to cutting off my macron ones and putting them in a drawer, safe in the knowledge that I’m somehow sticking it to the man, whilst also creating more random stuff in a drawer I’m never going to use.

One day, looking for a spare battery is going to spur me into action and I shall buy some $30 addidas shorts and properly “bladify” them.

Do you mean on the kits? They're woven now, which is more detailed while still being thread, and that's infinitely better than the trend recently from Nike and others of vinyl transfers or those raised rubber badges that Liverpool have.

The last kit we had with a more traditional embroidered badge on it was the league one promotion shirt I think.

Do you mean on the kits? They're woven now, which is more detailed while still being thread, and that's infinitely better than the trend recently from Nike and others of vinyl transfers or those raised rubber badges that Liverpool have.

The last kit we had with a more traditional embroidered badge on it was the league one promotion shirt I think.
Was thinking more the leisure wear. I admit I haven’t been in the club shop for a couple of years (live in Sydney) but the last time I spent a pretty penny - even in the sale - and they were flat iron on transfers made to look like cloth badges.

Glad the kits are up to scratch... couldn’t bring myself to grab one over here, with shipping, etc. and pink not being my colour.

Still living off the glory days in my “Lo” top (a “when Saturday comes” era effort with sadly missing “F” from the original Norwegian hero/number 9) and some old LCS gear mixed with more contemporary pieces from the glory days of league 1.

Now then George that has made me nostalgic, when we wore shirts to be proud of and not a bleeding advert in sight. My wife bought me a hoodie 3 or so years ago it's got the Sheffield coat of arms on it, I love it.
I was a keeper always had a green top hated those gaudy coloured tops

Not entirely correct though. You're quoting Paul Reeves, not Adidas. As proven above, Adidas have actually produced shirts very recently with stripes on the back. In our 7 seasons with Adidas, 3 of our shirts had striped backs, one of the shirts was a centenary shirt so wasn't actually a stripey shirt anyway.

The Football League and Championship aren't as strict as the Premier League and UEFA competitions. The UEFA ruling isn't actually a plain back, it's all about contrast between colours. If the colours are deemed not to have enough contrast, you have to patch it up or choose different colour numbers to provide the contrast.

When UEFA brought in the ruling, initially, you would see Juventus and Atletico Madrid for example playing in a different style shirt between league games and UEFA games. They would literally add a patch for use in Europe. Same shirt, same season, different competition:

1623663650751.png1623663666833.png

As time has gone on these types of clubs have ended up ditching stripes on the back because they are pretty much always going to be competing in a UEFA competition, so rather than have a patched up shirt, they've adhered to the rules (their respective leagues may also have changed the rules to follow UEFA).

As the rule set by UEFA is related to contrast, not stripes or patterns, you still see teams compete with stripey backs. Barcelona for example have yellow numbers (white would also work):

1623663747408.png 1623663767536.png 1623663807072.png

AC Milan and Inter Milan have dark stripes so white numbers clearly stand out:

1623664240709.png 1623664262074.png

Unfortunately for us. It is hard to get a clear contrast on Red/White stripes. This is why you won't see a red/white striped kit in UEFA comps with stripey backs...

Olympiacos...

1623664399066.png1623664415116.png1623664442579.png

Atletico Madrid...
1623664490951.png1623664512482.png

Same for Feyenoord. Here is this seasons kit used in the league and then the Europa League:

1623664713722.png1623664657423.png

Here's a a still from a Brentford game this season to show why UEFA wouldn't allow them to compete with black numbers on stripey backs. Notice how you can read opposition numbers easily, but not the Brentford ones:

1623665733099.png

Was thinking more the leisure wear. I admit I haven’t been in the club shop for a couple of years (live in Sydney) but the last time I spent a pretty penny - even in the sale - and they were flat iron on transfers made to look like cloth badges.

Glad the kits are up to scratch... couldn’t bring myself to grab one over here, with shipping, etc. and pink not being my colour.

Still living off the glory days in my “Lo” top (a “when Saturday comes” era effort with sadly missing “F” from the original Norwegian hero/number 9) and some old LCS gear mixed with more contemporary pieces from the glory days of league 1.

Oh, yeah, a lot if not all training gear items have heat transfer vinyl badges on, decent quality thick ones but yeah, bit disappointing when you look at some of the prices.

The kits have woven badges and the leisure wear, polos, coats etc (not made by Adidas) usually have embroidered badges.

Not entirely correct though. You're quoting Paul Reeves, not Adidas. As proven above, Adidas have actually produced shirts very recently with stripes on the back. In our 7 seasons with Adidas, 3 of our shirts had striped backs, one of the shirts was a centenary shirt so wasn't actually a stripey shirt anyway.

The Football League and Championship aren't as strict as the Premier League and UEFA competitions. The UEFA ruling isn't actually a plain back, it's all about contrast between colours. If the colours are deemed not to have enough contrast, you have to patch it up or choose different colour numbers to provide the contrast.

When UEFA brought in the ruling, initially, you would see Juventus and Atletico Madrid for example playing in a different style shirt between league games and UEFA games. They would literally add a patch for use in Europe. Same shirt, same season, different competition:

View attachment 114952View attachment 114953

As time has gone on these types of clubs have ended up ditching stripes on the back because they are pretty much always going to be competing in a UEFA competition, so rather than have a patched up shirt, they've adhered to the rules (their respective leagues may also have changed the rules to follow UEFA).

As the rule set by UEFA is related to contrast, not stripes or patterns, you still see teams compete with stripey backs. Barcelona for example have yellow numbers (white would also work):

View attachment 114954 View attachment 114955 View attachment 114956

View attachment 114957 View attachment 114958

Unfortunately for us. It is hard to get a clear contrast on Red/White stripes. This is why you won't see a red/white striped kit in UEFA comps with stripey backs...

Olympiacos...

View attachment 114959View attachment 114960View attachment 114961

Atletico Madrid...
View attachment 114962View attachment 114963

Same for Feyenoord. Here is this seasons kit used in the league and then the Europa League:

View attachment 114965View attachment 114964

Here's a a still from a Brentford game this season to show why UEFA wouldn't allow them to compete with black numbers on stripey backs. Notice how you can read opposition numbers easily, but not the Brentford ones:

View attachment 114971
Surely the easy way around the numbers thing is to edge the numbers with a contrasting colour - yellow or gold for example. I'm sure our black letters and numbers were edged in gold a few years ago, which really helped them stand out on red and white stripes. This season, the red numbers had a white edging, so on our white backed shirts, they looked a bit thin and feeble.

Those numbers on the Brentford shirts would stand out a lot more if they were edged in gold or yellow.

Olympiacos...

Atletico Madrid...

View attachment 114971
That is some excellent analysis - thank you.

FWIW, I don't give a toss if they're striped on the back or not. I can't see my own back.

Surely the easy way around the numbers thing is to edge the numbers with a contrasting colour - yellow or gold for example. I'm sure our black letters and numbers were edged in gold a few years ago, which really helped them stand out on red and white stripes. This season, the red numbers had a white edging, so on our white backed shirts, they looked a bit thin and feeble.

Those numbers on the Brentford shirts would stand out a lot more if they were edged in gold or yellow.
That's correct.

Unfortunately the Premier League only have 5 approved options. Anything deviating from these options isn't allowed in their competition.

1623670836303.png

The current EFL numbering design doesn't use a border to the number. I couldn't find the official colours available. But here's the design:

1623671350822.png

If the EFL use the same 5 colours, here are our options:

1623671765404.png1623671784592.png1623671805015.png1623671821548.png1623671838435.png

I personally would love a stripey back, but expect it to be solid red or white again.

Olympiacos...

Atletico Madrid...

View attachment 114971
Absolutely spot on Matt, thank you!
Like you, I’d love to see the stripes, but the contrast isn’t quite right with the good old Red n White. If we have to go solid back, it should always be red IMO.

Back
Top Bottom