Outgoing? Osborn

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I think Beans said on Bladespod that it wouldn't be a bad thing if Osborn stayed. I think it would be a bad thing.

He's the personification of the word 'meh', does nothing well and lots in an average to poor manner.

I said last season that the more games he started, the lower down the league we'd finish. Luckily he only started around 1/3 of games.

I too think hes reached his potential for us and would benefit from pastures new,,, hes been a good servant and been tidy
but we need a bit more

I think Beans said on Bladespod that it wouldn't be a bad thing if Osborn stayed. I think it would be a bad thing.

He's the personification of the word 'meh', does nothing well and lots in an average to poor manner.

I said last season that the more games he started, the lower down the league we'd finish. Luckily he only started around 1/3 of games.

I'm operating on the assumptions that we get relegated next season (likely) and don't have much money to spend (likelier) so don't mind keeping him for another year on the basis that he's already here, probably wouldn't cost a lot to keep and covers off multiple positions in a pinch.

I can't say I feel strongly enough about this to lose sleep over it, it's just what I would do if it was up to me. Keeping or letting him go is unlikely to be the difference-maker in staying up or not.

I'm operating on the assumptions that we get relegated next season (likely) and don't have much money to spend (likelier) so don't mind keeping him for another year on the basis that he's already here, probably wouldn't cost a lot to keep and covers off multiple positions in a pinch.

I can't say I feel strongly enough about this to lose sleep over it, it's just what I would do if it was up to me. Keeping or letting him go is unlikely to be the difference-maker in staying up or not.
The only basis I'd keep him is if he immediately goes out on loan with the view to having him around as a last resort the season after if we went back down. I think I'd lose sleep if Osborn was a genuine squad contender in the PL for us again, my 10 year old is similar height and would probably run around a lot if he was asked to!

The only basis I'd keep him is if he immediately goes out on loan with the view to having him around as a last resort the season after if we went back down. I think I'd lose sleep if Osborn was a genuine squad contender in the PL for us again, my 10 year old is similar height and would probably run around a lot if he was asked to!

How much does your 10 year old want per week and will he accept a 50% relegation clause?

Your ten year old is the height of an average adult male? Taller than Lionel Messi.

They could run around as much as Osborn, as fast and as long? With the tactical understanding and half decent (in professional football terms) left foot?

Your ten year old is the height of an average adult male? Taller than Lionel Messi.

They could run around as much as Osborn, as fast and as long? With the tactical understanding and half decent (in professional football terms) left foot?
I'm not entirely sure that derekacorah was being serious.

I was the height of Osborn (175cm / 5'9") when I was 13, FWIW.

No he's probably not quite as tall as Osborn but he's not far off, he's nearly 11 so probably will be by 12. Both footed but not to a PL standard unfortunately, I'll have to keep working if he's not gonna pull his finger out and be a professional sportsman!

The point I was making was that Osborn isn't really very good and we'd be better off without him.

No he's probably not quite as tall as Osborn but he's not far off, he's nearly 11 so probably will be by 12. Both footed but not to a PL standard unfortunately, I'll have to keep working if he's not gonna pull his finger out and be a professional sportsman!

The point I was making was that Osborn isn't really very good and we'd be better off without him.
Oh - I'd actually got my hopes up for your son signing on a free.

I should be used to disappointment as a Blade but this one has hurt.

P.S. Osborn is better at football than most people in the country and IMO probably makes sense to keep him if on the right wage.

Oh - I'd actually got my hopes up for your son signing on a free.

I should be used to disappointment as a Blade but this one has hurt.

P.S. Osborn is better at football than most people in the country and IMO probably makes sense to keep him if on the right wage.
I know that just by being a pro footballer he's obviously better than those that aren't, however he really shouldn't be anywhere near a PL first team squad next season no matter what the wages on offer are. Having him on the bench to plug a number of gaps badly and run around a bit will be to the detriment of our chances of survival in my opinion.

I know that just by being a pro footballer he's obviously better than those that aren't, however he really shouldn't be anywhere near a PL first team squad next season no matter what the wages on offer are. Having him on the bench to plug a number of gaps badly and run around a bit will be to the detriment of our chances of survival in my opinion.
In my scenario we don't intend to play him (with all due respect to him)! But also, he'd almost certainly plug gaps better than a teenager with little to no experience.

In my scenario we don't intend to play him (with all due respect to him)! But also, he'd almost certainly plug gaps better than a teenager with little to no experience.
If he's here then there's always the temptation! Imagine ickle runaround Benji in the no.10 role in the PL because we get a couple of injuries :eek:

I do agree on the young lads bit though, they need to be out on loan next season, not clogging up our bench with little prospect of minutes on the pitch.

As long as he doesn’t play and we can’t afford a replacement, he might come in handy filling the bench for the remainder of his contract.

Another one we should let go. A natural parting of the ways. He's been alright but for the £3.5m transfer fee I am sure we could have brought in much better. He had his moments for us but in general he's been a bit of a poor signing. Spend his wages on a younger version rhtyhas potential - there must be a few in the lower leagues who we could pick up to fill his role in the squad, without breaking the bank and on a damned sight less in wages.

Ask yourself, would you expect to see Osborn in any other PL club squad next season or even in a squad for a top end championship club? If the answer is no then it's clear that he needs to move on. I would wish him well though as I like him.

Another one we should let go. A natural parting of the ways. He's been alright but for the £3.5m transfer fee I am sure we could have brought in much better. He had his moments for us but in general he's been a bit of a poor signing. Spend his wages on a younger version rhtyhas potential - there must be a few in the lower leagues who we could pick up to fill his role in the squad, without breaking the bank and on a damned sight less in wages.

Ask yourself, would you expect to see Osborn in any other PL club squad next season or even in a squad for a top end championship club? If the answer is no then it's clear that he needs to move on. I would wish him well though as I like him.
Absolutely unfair on Osborn. For £3.5 million he's been a bargain. Played over a hundred games for us and been vital in covering injuries across the pitch. His performances have been mixed but he's been a good signing and allowed us to invest money elsewhere.

I would simply tell him that it's his choice. If he wants to leave, let him leave. If not, I'd be happy to keep him around

What would probably be ideal is signing another versatile left sided player like Manning to replace him

It is possible though that the club will want full value for every single first team wage being paid. Which given all the wasted money, is understandable. In which case, if Osborn is taking home something like 25k, we might want to cut him loose

If we have Ben Osborn as part of a Premier league squad we might as well stick an R next to us now and save ourselves the embarrassment of having to watch him chase shadows like some demented puppy.

I'm sure he's a nice bloke and all that but he's absolutely not a premier league footballer. He's barely a championship footballer and if it wasn't for Brewster he'd probably go down as out worst value for money signing under Wilder

Back
Top Bottom