Old Photos For No Reason Whatsoever

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

We all were delighted when he scored the winning goal in the 1983 semi final!
Weird how certain things stick in the memory, or images, as I have said re Robinson in a Brighton kit, more than Liverpool or the Brighton Centre Half that wore the headband, that image remains long after I forgot his name!

Last ever cricket match

sport-cricket-county-championship-bramall-lane-sheffield-4th-august-picture-id79023097
Got changed in the old cricket pavilion in 1975 i think it was - last game of the season v QPR , drew 1-1 and Furphy was the manager (Silent will tell me if I'm right or if my memory fails) . We played in the supporters club five a side final before kick off (lost 3-0 to Killamarsh - they had at least 6 ringers in their team). Happy happy days

Last edited:
Preston 2 Blades 2 in August 1978. 2-2 draw, Stainrod and Sabella scored for us. The diving header is the late Micky Robinson scoring his 2nd equaliser. I was sat in the upper tier of the stand seen in the photo. Preston fans threw stones at us
Was there too, behind the goal - Sabella`s first goal for us - took them all on and side footed it into the left hand side of the goal

Got changed in the old cricket pavilion in 1975 i think it was - last game of the season v QPR , drew 1-1 and Furphy was the manager (Silent will tell me if I'm right or if my memory fails) . We played in the supporters club five a side final before kick off (lost 3-0 to Killamarsh - they had at least 6 ringers in their team). Happy happy days
We played against QPR in our last home game of the 1973-74 season and in the first game of the 1974-75 season. The pavilion got demolished in 1981/82

We played against QPR in our last home game of the 1973-74 season and in the first game of the 1974-75 season. The pavilion got demolished in 1981/82
Just shows you how much you (i mean me) forgets. 73/74 hey. I know it was the last game of the season and Ken Furphy presented me with my losers medal - he said - why are the losers medal always the smallest - i just looked at my medal and smiled . We played across the pitch and i remember getting the ball out of the net in front of the kop as it went out for a throw in . So excited and still am remembering that day - i was 13 - thanks for the info

It's one of the few threads where there's no falling out, just civilised conversation.
Very well said. I have an insulting reference to Jimmy Greaves to post tomorrow. In order to maintain the ‘no falling out’ on this thread, it will be posted on a different thread🤣 You can probably guess which one.

I remember Robinson had recently died, and the list of clubs he played for, for some reason in my mind I always associate him with Brighton, perhaps it was their FA cup run, that stuck in my mind

I had high hopes for Mathew's waiting, thinking, this week things will click into place, he will use his height, shooting power, range of passing, and show why he played for Arsenal, it was a long wait, with no click! Not an attack on Mathew's he certainly wasn't one of the worst midfield players we had, more disappointment, as they say he had all the tools
His second game for us was Leicester away, night match. I am sure he scored a screamer and i thought then we had bought a decent player. Along with Steve Finnieston and Sabella i really had high hopes for that season.....needless to say it ended up shit with worse to follow!

His second game for us was Leicester away, night match. I am sure he scored a screamer and i thought then we had bought a decent player. Along with Steve Finnieston and Sabella i really had high hopes for that season.....needless to say it ended up shit with worse to follow!
Completely agree, I thought Finnieston would make a huge difference, just checked and my memory is way off, thought he only played a couple of games before disappearing with a serious injury, stats say 23 games signed 1978 retired in his mid 20s in 1980

It was his first match. Signed for us on the Monday after our home defeat to Orient. I would always remember his comment in the Star "I always thought Sheffield was at the other side of the world but today I realised that it is only two hours drive up the M1". He must be a fast driver then!

It was his first match. Signed for us on the Monday after our home defeat to Orient. I would always remember his comment in the Star "I always thought Sheffield was at the other side of the world but today I realised that it is only two hours drive up the M1". He must be a fast driver then!
Yes, bang on Silent...i do actually remember him signing a day or so before the Leicester game now. As i mentioned earlier, I REALLY thought we were on our way upwards that season..

Big Steve Faulkner (i think) Speedy Magedy - is it? (apologies for wrong spelling) Bradford , Franks , 1976 version of Brewster = Chris Guthrie (as in CF record signing at 100k) - Great photo

Not that I was ever a fan of his but compared to Brewster , the signing of the much maligned Chris Guthrie could be considered to be an outstanding success .

In his time with us he managed a goal every 4 games as against the 1 in 36 (?) of our young millionaire superstar .

Not that I was ever a fan of his but compared to Brewster , the signing of the much maligned Chris Guthrie could be considered to be an outstanding success .

In his time with us he managed a goal every 4 games as against the 1 in 36 (?) of our young millionaire superstar .

Good bloke, Chris Guthrie, met him a few times when fishing at Rutland Water, always up for a chat.

Back
Top Bottom