Old Photos For No Reason Whatsoever

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Not that I was ever a fan of his but compared to Brewster , the signing of the much maligned Chris Guthrie could be considered to be an outstanding success .

In his time with us he managed a goal every 4 games as against the 1 in 36 (?) of our young millionaire superstar .
Remember being very excited that we had paid £100k for a big powerful centre forward from Southend.

Saw him play his debut - i think - it was at home to Dundee or Dundee Utd in the Anglo Saxon cup pre season (really testing my memory now, i think thats what it was called) i think we won 4-1 (or 2-1) and he scored.

Silent will correct me (i also have a feeling in the back of my mind it may have been St Mirren)

Remember being very excited that we had paid £100k for a big powerful centre forward from Southend.

Saw him play his debut - i think - it was at home to Dundee or Dundee Utd in the Anglo Saxon cup pre season (really testing my memory now, i think thats what it was called) i think we won 4-1 (or 2-1) and he scored.

Silent will correct me (i also have a feeling in the back of my mind it may have been St Mirren)
did of course mean Anglo Scottish cup

Star of Lemont was another pub, just behind the Queen Adelaide and was demolished at the same time.

View attachment 125761

In fact 4 pubs within spitting distance of each other at the bottom of Bramall lane were demolished for St Mary's road widening. There was also the Norfolk arms (the pile of bricks on Silent's original photo) and the Chantry Arms at 11 Bramall Lane.
Go on TB, someone's got to ask, what's the name mean? I'll say a connection to the Boar Wars ?

Blackburn, we won 3-1 but he didn’t score.His first goal for us was in the 5-1 defeat at Manchester United, though he did have a good game on his league debut at home to Derby.

Blackburn, we won 3-1 but he didn’t score.His first goal for us was in the 5-1 defeat at Manchester United, though he did have a good game on his league debut at home to Derby.
The Blackburn game - was that a Anglo Saxon pre season game ?

The Dundee or Dundee Utd pre season game - was that 2-1 to us ?

St Mirren - sure we played them in the Anglo Saxon cup or was it the Texaco Cup ?

Wish i`d never started this

St Mirren - sure we played them in the Anglo Saxon cup or was it the Texaco Cup ?

Only one game in the Anglo whatsit cups stands out in my memory, playing St Mirren at the Lane, never seen a team before or since use so many time wasting, spoiling tactics as they did, or heard a crowd as loud complaining about it, it even made the papers the following day

Only one game in the Anglo whatsit cups stands out in my memory, playing St Mirren at the Lane, never seen a team before or since use so many time wasting, spoiling tactics as they did, or heard a crowd as loud complaining about it, it even made the papers the following day
What was the score? - seem to remember it being 4-1 but we could have lost 2-1

We did play Dundee though I'm sure we did

1638474656742.png
Blackburn in 1975, Dundee and St Mirren in 1979 were Anglo-Scottish Cup matches

he did have a good game that first match of the season with derby but we stopped playing the ball on the deck and just started lumping it up to him totally wrong tactics after the succesful season we had in 74/75

Here's a re-enactment of the Siege of Ladysmith😀

View attachment 125785
Might have to answer my own question here Eddie, I am told the pub name has connections to the American Civil War, Lemont in the USA being a hot bed for Unionist recrument. Quite why a back Street pub off Bramall Lane got that name, who knows. Maybe they had secret recrument in the back room, if any Blades fancied joining the Yankees

he did have a good game that first match of the season with derby but we stopped playing the ball on the deck and just started lumping it up to him totally wrong tactics after the succesful season we had in 74/75
Missed the Derby opener as I was on holiday (Brid probably)

Derby were reigning champions at the time and it was the opening of the new south stand

1-1 Keith Eddy I seem to remember

I’ll never forget the headlines in the News of the World - Super Sheffield Turn on Style….

What a season we were going to have !

…..how right that was

Missed the Derby opener as I was on holiday (Brid probably)

Derby were reigning champions at the time and it was the opening of the new south stand

1-1 Keith Eddy I seem to remember

I’ll never forget the headlines in the News of the World - Super Sheffield Turn on Style….

What a season we were going to have !

…..how right that was
TC was interviewed on tv just before the start of the season saying that we were going to be the "surprise team". How right he was!

Back
Top Bottom