Old Photos For No Reason Whatsoever

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I’ve got a photo on my phone from Utd v Forest in March 2018. It‘s taken during a snowstorm and I think it would make an absolutely great framed print. Anybody help with how I’d go about it, ie get it blown up and printed, then framed.

I’m not joking when I say if I saw that in the Lane shop I’d want to buy it.
I’ve sent you a PM pal.

I don’t think my dad told me this game was happening. The name Barrass at centre-half makes me nervous still. That was a signing that did not work.
One of the reasons why Joe Mercer wasnt popular with our fans. He dropped Joe Shaw to bring in Barrass

I don’t think my dad told me this game was happening. The name Barrass at centre-half makes me nervous still. That was a signing that did not work.
There was an interesting article in the United v Millwall programme listing United's transfers, both in and out, from 1956 to 1959. The article mentioned Barrass as Joe Mercer's worst signing.

Attachments

• MalcolmBarrass.jpg
    MalcolmBarrass.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 13
There was an interesting article in the United v Millwall programme listing United's transfers, both in and out, from 1956 to 1959. The article mentioned Barrass as Joe Mercer's worst signing.

That article is spot on .

Joe Mercer was by no means the worst manager we’ve had and made some excellent signings but that of Malcolm Barrass was both mystifying and infuriating .

Joe had by this time established himself as an excellent centre half who , despite his lack of height , could cope with the best centre forwards in the country at the time . Barrass on the other hand was way past his best and clearly unfit / looking for a final pay day and after watching just 20 minutes of his first appearance at the Lane I remember turning to my mate and saying “ He’s a fucking disaster “ and so it turned out to be .

On the other hand , the noble Doctor Pace .............. :)

I didn't know about the Radnicki game either. I imagine it was arranged at short notice. There was no local radio in those days and my dad was too mean too buy the Star or Sheffield Telegraph. If I'd known about it there's no reason why I wouldn't have gone. Floodlight matches were still something of a novelty at that time.
We lost 1 - 2. The Blades' goal scorer was Howitt. (I looked it up). The attendance was a little over 8,000.

I didn't know about the Radnicki game either. I imagine it was arranged at short notice. There was no local radio in those days and my dad was too mean too buy the Star or Sheffield Telegraph. If I'd known about it there's no reason why I wouldn't have gone. Floodlight matches were still something of a novelty at that time.
We lost 1 - 2. The Blades' goal scorer was Howitt. (I looked it up). The attendance was a little over 8,000.
The gaps in my old programmes mean that I don’t have the programme following this game, but I do have the programme before, and they were trying to drum up support:
D3605164-9BEC-404F-B117-FBAD61C5FDFF.jpeg
It appears that there was bad weather, and Tommy Hoyland fell on the icy pitch and broke his wrist. So perhaps our parents were protecting us from danger!
England beat Yugoslavia 3-0 the day before, but I don’t think any Radnicki players were in their team.
The week before, United beat an All Stars XI 4-2; does anyone know anything about that match?

That article is spot on .

Joe Mercer was by no means the worst manager we’ve had and made some excellent signings but that of Malcolm Barrass was both mystifying and infuriating .

Joe had by this time established himself as an excellent centre half who , despite his lack of height , could cope with the best centre forwards in the country at the time . Barrass on the other hand was way past his best and clearly unfit / looking for a final pay day and after watching just 20 minutes of his first appearance at the Lane I remember turning to my mate and saying “ He’s a fucking disaster “ and so it turned out to be .

On the other hand , the noble Doctor Pace .............. :)
There are historical dictionaries of English which claim the word ‘embarrassment’ originates from an expression meaning ‘The feeling of shame experienced after spending big money signing an aged defender called M. Barrass’…

There are historical dictionaries of English which claim the word ‘embarrassment’ originates from an expression meaning ‘The feeling of shame experienced after spending big money signing an aged defender called M. Barrass’…
Barrass represented the Football League in 1951 in an International League match at Goodison Park. Interestingly a 2.45 pm kick off. There are mentions for Jock Dodds and Jimmy Hagan in the notes.

Attachments

• FLvFLI1951frontcover (424 x 600).jpg
    FLvFLI1951frontcover (424 x 600).jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 15
  • FLvFLI1951 (424 x 600).jpg
    FLvFLI1951 (424 x 600).jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 15

Barrass represented the Football League in 1951 in an International League match at Goodison Park. Interestingly a 2.45 pm kick off. There are mentions for Jock Dodds and Jimmy Hagan in the notes.

Attachments

• FLvFLI1951backcover.jpg
    FLvFLI1951backcover.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 7
I think mid week matches kicked off early in the 1950s due to the lack of floodlights at most grounds. Ours were installed in 1953.

The gaps in my old programmes mean that I don’t have the programme following this game, but I do have the programme before, and they were trying to drum up support:
View attachment 125051
It appears that there was bad weather, and Tommy Hoyland fell on the icy pitch and broke his wrist. So perhaps our parents were protecting us from danger!
England beat Yugoslavia 3-0 the day before, but I don’t think any Radnicki players were in their team.
The week before, United beat an All Stars XI 4-2; does anyone know anything about that match?
According to Sheffield United: The Complete Record by Clarebrough and Kirkham
Wed 21 November 1956 United 4 All Stars XI 2 (Hawksworth 2, Wilkinson 2) Att:6900

Why United were playing friendlies against Worksop Town, Coventry, an All Stars XI, Radnicki, Leeds United, the Royal Signals and Wisbech Town during the season whilst not concentrating on keeping their Division One status, I don't know. United eventually finished bottom and were relegated to Division Two.

I assume he had been a decent player. I am afraid he is for ever associated in my mind with the humiliating defeat against Rotherham. A 7-2 home defeat is tough to take as a 9-year-old!
0793893B-CC2E-4BE8-B751-688DFA7E2B54.jpeg0365D3C5-2FEC-4838-9C13-0FBEF3182891.jpeg

View attachment 125051

Attachments

• GreenUnadvert.jpg
    GreenUnadvert.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 9

Back
Top Bottom