Old Photos For No Reason Whatsoever

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Jeez... Steve Faulkner!
This must be during 75-76 after Furphy was sacked.
Thought a young Keith Edwards might have sneaked onto this one. Know he played a few towards the end of that season.
And I know the face, but diminishing grey cells mean I can't put a name to the young kid on the end next to Paul Garner. Someone remind me.....

Jeez... Steve Faulkner!
Thought a young Keith Edwards might have sneaked onto this one. Know he played a few towards the end of that season.
And I know the face, but diminishing grey cells mean I can't put a name to the young kid on the end next to Paul Garner. Someone remind me.....
Steve Ludlam.

I’ve got a photo on my phone from Utd v Forest in March 2018. It‘s taken during a snowstorm and I think it would make an absolutely great framed print. Anybody help with how I’d go about it, ie get it blown up and printed, then framed.

I’m not joking when I say if I saw that in the Lane shop I’d want to buy it.

Is it similar to my effort FF ? I had this published in Danny Hall's book "He's one of our own"

Attachments

• Blades v Forest.jpg
    Blades v Forest.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 45
Preston 2 Blades 2 in August 1978. 2-2 draw, Stainrod and Sabella scored for us. The diving header is the late Micky Robinson scoring his 2nd equaliser. I was sat in the upper tier of the stand seen in the photo. Preston fans threw stones at us
I was there too, but behind one of the goals. For some reason, United had John Matthews playing at centre-half. He was good at many things eg long passes, but running at speed trying to keep up with a young Preston forward was not one of them. Matthews was given a complete run around that afternoon. In fact I’m not even certain he ever played CH again for United.

I was there too, but behind one of the goals. For some reason, United had John Matthews playing at centre-half. He was good at many things eg long passes, but running at speed trying to keep up with a young Preston forward was not one of them. Matthews was given a complete run around that afternoon. In fact I’m not even certain he ever played CH again for United.
I remember Mathew's playing centre forward, apparently he had been pushing for the chance for a few weeks in training, supposedly said it was easy,,he only played one game as CF, and pretty sure he didn't 'trouble' the keeper

He did against Liverpool which was the next game.

Jeez... Steve Faulkner!
Yes January 1976. Drew 0-0 v Liverpool that day.

Jeez... Steve Faulkner!
John 'Speedy' McGeady ?

I remember Mathew's playing centre forward, apparently he had been pushing for the chance for a few weeks in training, supposedly said it was easy,,he only played one game as CF, and pretty sure he didn't 'trouble' the keeper
he didnt trouble the keeper in may 81 either he was too busy hiding 🤔

he didnt trouble the keeper in may 81 either he was too busy hiding 🤔
Caught a bit of The Big Match revisited the other week, Mathew's was in the Arsenal team, can't remember who did the interview for Arsenal after the game, but they did mention Mathew's skill and the high hopes Arsenal had for him,,

It was a Junior Sunday club. Young Owls, Handsworth, Greenhill, Handley Wood (later Staveley WMC) and Junior Blades were the strongest teams in my son's age level. The Junior Blades team was managed by a Wendy season ticket holder (Carlos Shires) and the Young Owls team was managed by a Blade season ticket holder (Craig Wilson)
What year was this SB .. just curious I played for SUJB 81-83

Jeez... Steve Faulkner!
Imagine playing Steve Faulkner and having John Flynn as sub!

I've been racking my brain to see if I can remember the player who out-paced John Matthews in the Preston away match. Eureka! It was a young Michael Robinson, who went on to play for Man City, Brighton, Liverpool, QPR and Osasuna. He also represented Republic of Ireland. Whilst playing in Spain, he became fluent in Spanish, so much so that after his playing career had finished, he became a commentator and pundit on Spanish tv. He died last year, aged 61.

I've been racking my brain to see if I can remember the player who out-paced John Matthews in the Preston away match. Eureka! It was a young Michael Robinson, who went on to play for Man City, Brighton, Liverpool, QPR and Osasuna. He also represented Republic of Ireland. Whilst playing in Spain, he became fluent in Spanish, so much so that after his playing career had finished, he became a commentator and pundit on Spanish tv. He died last year, aged 61.
I remember Robinson had recently died, and the list of clubs he played for, for some reason in my mind I always associate him with Brighton, perhaps it was their FA cup run, that stuck in my mind

I had high hopes for Mathew's waiting, thinking, this week things will click into place, he will use his height, shooting power, range of passing, and show why he played for Arsenal, it was a long wait, with no click! Not an attack on Mathew's he certainly wasn't one of the worst midfield players we had, more disappointment, as they say he had all the tools

Silent blade named him above as the one in the picture.

I remember Robinson had recently died, and the list of clubs he played for, for some reason in my mind I always associate him with Brighton, perhaps it was their FA cup run, that stuck in my mind
We all were delighted when he scored the winning goal in the 1983 semi final!

Back
Top Bottom