Old Photos For No Reason Whatsoever

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I didn't bother going to see see Jimmy Hendrix 'cos I thought he was crap. What did I know.
View attachment 121373
Place to be and be seen mid 60s, think it was the SF's first gig outside of the Smoke. In reality, it was possibly the hottest place, (temperature wise) I've ever been, my mate worked in the Melting Shop at Firth Browns and reckoned it was hotter than there.

Place to be and be seen mid 60s, think it was the SF's first gig outside of the Smoke. In reality, it was possibly the hottest place, (temperature wise) I've ever been, my mate worked in the Melting Shop at Firth Browns and reckoned it was hotter than there.
Ventilation wasn't the strongest point and overcrowding never came into the equation. The only time They stopped letting folk in was for The Ike and Tina Review when it was impossible to get through the door. Someone who couldn't get in phoned the police and said their was a bomb inside. The police arrived saying they needed to empty the place to let the sniffer dog check it out. The only way they managed to empty the place was by promising not to search the customers, not sure for what though.... Ike and Tina Turner finally got on stage about 5am, backed by The Iketts which included the beautiful PP Arnold.

Ventilation wasn't the strongest point and overcrowding never came into the equation. The only time They stopped letting folk in was for The Ike and Tina Review when it was impossible to get through the door. Someone who couldn't get in phoned the police and said their was a bomb inside. The police arrived saying they needed to empty the place to let the sniffer dog check it out. The only way they managed to empty the place was by promising not to search the customers, not sure for what though.... Ike and Tina Turner finally got on stage about 5am, backed by The Iketts which included the beautiful PP Arnold.
If my memory serves me right, there was no alcohol allowed, but you could get your arm stamped for a pass out to the local Pitsmoor pubs, however, like you say Robby getting back in was nigh on impossible.
The innocence of youth eh !!

c270f4724185fe1d477757f596be9305_XL.jpg

Being a Hunter’s Bar lad, I used to go to Shades on a Friday night - the downside to the place was that Max Omari would never turn the heating on, and this gave drinking Mansfield bitter a whole new meaning.

That would have probably been the last time PP Arnold performed as an Ikette. The Stones tour ended around a week before and shortly afterwards she quit, signing for Immediate records in the UK, championed by Mick Jagger.

That would have probably been the last time PP Arnold performed as an Ikette. The Stones tour ended around a week before and shortly afterwards she quit, signing for Immediate records in the UK, championed by Mick Jagger.
"The first cut is the deepest" another original recording ripped off by Rod the Mod. Apropos to Cat Stevens.

Something more modern for you Silent Blade. Sheffield lad Dominic West being asked about his role in Othello at the crucible theatre in 2011. The production starred Dominic West (Iago) and fellow The Wire star Clarke Peters (Othello). A little known actress at the time Lily James (Desdemona) stole the show in NPFIT's opinion. Lily James is now a major Hollywood actress but was a very young Desdemona at the time. This was a major scoop for the Crucible to get this show not long after the height of the Wires fame. West played the villainous Iago in a broad Sheffield accent, which was quite ironic given his posh, public shoolboy Sheffield background and accent. Peters adopted a Caribbean accent to play the Moor. West has been linked to an extra marital affair with James in recent years.

Last edited:
Something more modern for you Silent Blade. Sheffield lad Dominic West being asked about his role in Othello at the crucible in 2011. The production starred Dominic West (Iago) and fellow The Wire star Clarke Peters (Othello). A little known actress at the time Lily James (Desdemona) stole the show in NPFIT's opinion. Lily James is now a major Hollywood actress but was a very young Desdemona at the time. This was a major scoop for the Crucible to get this show not long after the height of the Wires fame. West played the villainous Iago in a broad Sheffield accent, which was quite ironic given his posh, public shoolboy Sheffield background and accent. Peters adopted a Caribbean accent to play the Moor. West has been linked to an extra marital affair with James in recent years.

Saw him at the pre opening opening night at the Crucible in My Fair Lady - Higgins - December 2012. He’s no Rex Harrison in that part, rather ordinary really although Carley Bowden stole the show as Eliza Doolittle.

If my memory serves me right, there was no alcohol allowed, but you could get your arm stamped for a pass out to the local Pitsmoor pubs, however, like you say Robby getting back in was nigh on impossible.
The innocence of youth eh !!

Yes , everyone including the bands used to rush down to the Gate Inn at the interval , which is how I came to be competing with Rod ‘The Mod’ Stewart to get served when he came as part of The Steampacket which included Long John Baldry and the wonderful Julie Driscoll .

As for overcrowding and heat , the worst I ever experienced there was for The Small Faces , which I think was the one for which Stringfellow admitted later they admitted over twice the legal limit .

It was completely unbearable and I left in less than an hour and never went back .

Being a Hunter’s Bar lad, I used to go to Shades on a Friday night - the downside to the place was that Max Omari would never turn the heating on, and this gave drinking Mansfield bitter a whole new meaning.

Me and Mrs.Joe and other friends were also regular Friday night visitors to Shades so our paths must have crossed at some stage .

We once had dinner at Max’s house and I sat next to ex footballer and comedian Charlie Williams who was great company and told me one of the funniest true stories I’ve ever heard . :)

Such a shame that this fell victim to the Luftwaffe.

I'm sure if the Luftwaffe didn't get it Sheffield City Council would have 20-30 years later

They'd have then replaced it with a beautiful Soviet Style concrete block, then another 10 years after, then another, then another.

My brother in law used to frequent the Mojo.. It's hard to believe when you drive past it, that the likes of Hendrix, Stevie Wonder and loads of other big names played there.
That's right, with a few exceptions it's fair to say most of the now worldly bands of the 60s played there albeit in their early days before becoming really well known
It's nigh 60 years ago for me and my memory fades with time, but for some weird reason I remember Amen Corner and Georgia Fame and the haunting tune of Gloria by Them, who must surely been fronted by Van the man himself.
I believe it's a well known fact that the Kinks wrote All day and all of the night while appearing there

That's right, with a few exceptions it's fair to say most of the now worldly bands of the 60s played there albeit in their early days before becoming really well known
It's nigh 60 years ago for me and my memory fades with time, but for some weird reason I remember Amen Corner and Georgia Fame and the haunting tune of Gloria by Them, who must surely been fronted by Van the man himself.
I believe it's a well known fact that the Kinks wrote All day and all of the night while appearing there

Pink Floyd made an appearance one Sunday night. To say they were shit is being kind to them.

Pink Floyd made an appearance one Sunday night. To say they were shit is being kind to them.
Yes it was early "underground music" and probably sounded like it, arty farty London students had took over from the Beatniks, later it became "progressive music" all completely wasted at the time on us sensible Northern folk.

The year below me but still played with Lee Walshaw as he played a year older. Saw John Beresford at a golf doo a few years ago and chatted about all the characters who played at the time. Can’t remember the others. Would be interesting to see how many played pro.

Paddy McGeeney for one!, played for the Blades. Bumped into him at BDTBL at the last home game.

Something more modern for you Silent Blade. Sheffield lad Dominic West being asked about his role in Othello at the crucible theatre in 2011. The production starred Dominic West (Iago) and fellow The Wire star Clarke Peters (Othello). A little known actress at the time Lily James (Desdemona) stole the show in NPFIT's opinion. Lily James is now a major Hollywood actress but was a very young Desdemona at the time. This was a major scoop for the Crucible to get this show not long after the height of the Wires fame. West played the villainous Iago in a broad Sheffield accent, which was quite ironic given his posh, public shoolboy Sheffield background and accent. Peters adopted a Caribbean accent to play the Moor. West has been linked to an extra marital affair with James in recent years.

Hold on, this post has just blown my mind!

Firstly, as someone who is about half way through watching The Wire how the hell did I not know that Dominic West is from Sheffield? Granted, I haven't really seen much with him in but I honestly thought he was an American.

And secondly, Dominic West has been shagging Lily James?!? Some people get all of the luck.

Hold on, this post has just blown my mind!

Firstly, as someone who is about half way through watching The Wire how the hell did I not know that Dominic West is from Sheffield? Granted, I haven't really seen much with him in but I honestly thought he was an American.

And secondly, Dominic West has been shagging Lily James?!? Some people get all of the luck.
Bugger me, binged watched The Affair starring Dominic West, brilliant, didn't even know he was English never mind from Sheffield.
Water Boys Whole of the moon sums up The Affair closing scene at the series finally. Great actor.

Back
Top Bottom