Old Photos For No Reason Whatsoever

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I was only 4 then! :)
your only a junior blade silent lol gil was absolutely brilliant when we signed him a flying left winger but never quite the same after the broken leg but he developed in to more of a striker and suprisingly for his size scored some cracking headed goals of course his best goal was that one against birmingham fantastic dribble and finish

Yes, against Blackpool
Trying to think who else may have been on the pitch for Blackpool, Jimmy Armfield ? Ray Charnley ? had Alan Ball moved on ?
Did John Burridge eventually take over in goal a season or two later? Be interesting to see how many ex Blackpool players have played for the Blades.

Absolutely! I worked at Herdings in the 1980's, it was a good place then. Sadly I that it's not so good now.
Lived on the Valley from it being built (1957 for us) until I moved out in 1975. Great place to grow up, plenty of nearby countryside, gardens front and back and an inside toilet😀 . Sheer luxury. My old mum lived there until she died last November, over 63 years. Jeez, where did the time go.

was at that game when reece broke his leg silent wasnt he racing down the left wing towards the lane end when he got hacked down ?
He was racing down the left wing, but didn`t get hacked down. It was a perfectly fair tackle by Jimmy Armfield. It sounded like a rifle shot from where I was on the Kop. Just one of those unfortunate moments which occasionally happen in the game.

your only a junior blade silent lol gil was absolutely brilliant when we signed him a flying left winger but never quite the same after the broken leg but he developed in to more of a striker and suprisingly for his size scored some cracking headed goals of course his best goal was that one against birmingham fantastic dribble and finish
I remember him well from 1970

Trying to think who else may have been on the pitch for Blackpool, Jimmy Armfield ? Ray Charnley ? had Alan Ball moved on ?
Did John Burridge eventually take over in goal a season or two later? Be interesting to see how many ex Blackpool players have played for the Blades.
Difficult to identify the players. The photo was from Brian Wise on Facebook. Tony Waiters usually wore a cap. Alan Ball left for Everton after the 1966 World Cup so he should be at that match if it is April 1966. Burridge's first club was Workington and joined Blackpool in 1971

He was racing down the left wing, but didn`t get hacked down. It was a perfectly fair tackle by Jimmy Armfield. It sounded like a rifle shot from where I was on the Kop. Just one of those unfortunate moments which occasionally happen in the game.
I was at the game and remember the unfortunate incident well.
I always thought it was Tommy Thompson and not Armfield who broke Gil's leg.
Had this debate on here previously.

I was at the game and remember the unfortunate incident well.
I always thought it was Tommy Thompson and not Armfield who broke Gil's leg.
Had this debate on here previously.
ive a feeling it was jimmy armfield but always thought it was the tackle that did the damage and yes the crack could be heard all round the ground

ive a feeling it was jimmy armfield but always thought it was the tackle that did the damage and yes the crack could be heard all round the ground
I'll stick with Thompson, he played both left and right back for Blackpool and its one of those things that's stuck with me through the years. I can still visualise the tackle and hear the crack today.

Probably April 1966. We wore white shorts at home to Blackpool in Nov 1966 (Reece broke his leg) and Feb 1968 (FA Cup). My dad always said my first match was against Blackpool so it could be this one?
Looks like we have something in common - we both had as our first match a home defeat to Blackpool! I attach below pics of the programme for the April match. The team changes are in the indecipherable writing of my dad, who had started going in the John Street stand by this time, and always annotated the programmes. Quite moving to see it today - Oct 8 was his birthday.
How the team had changed from 1961. Only Hodgy of the old guard playing, and some of them listed in the squad had already moved on (Allchurch, Richardson, etc.). This was a young team, with Badger, Bernard Shaw, Barlow, the Wagstaffs, Woodward, Jones, Birchenall, Fenoughty, Munks ((sub). Plenty of talent, and finished 9th. I don’t suppose the Wagstaff and Shaw brothers all played together in a game? Quite unusual to have 2 pairs of brothers.
C01115B4-46BE-456F-81DA-8D5AF0118142.jpeg79D3C362-E12E-487F-AC80-291CDCABDDA8.jpeg21A01B39-AC3C-4FAE-967A-A01C4675FBF4.jpeg671689BB-325C-48C0-8443-9A0DD614943B.jpeg

I was probably sat in the John Street stand area as at the time it was the only area in the ground that had seats.
If there was a man nearby with a bag of Mintos, that will have been my dad. Despite what the marketing suggests, I don’t think Werther’s were around at the time, or they certainly weren’t common in these parts.

Hold on, this post has just blown my mind!

Firstly, as someone who is about half way through watching The Wire how the hell did I not know that Dominic West is from Sheffield? Granted, I haven't really seen much with him in but I honestly thought he was an American.

And secondly, Dominic West has been shagging Lily James?!? Some people get all of the luck.
He's actually from Hathersage

Back
Top Bottom