Old Photos For No Reason Whatsoever

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Bus queues. Does it still happen?

View attachment 120388
The 69 bus used to go from town to Rotherham via The Wicker, Attercliffe Common and Tinsley so used to service the vast majority of the Sheffield steel industry. The buses used to run every 2 minutes at peak period and always seemed to be full……my mode of transport to work in the 70’s.

The 69 bus used to go from town to Rotherham via The Wicker, Attercliffe Common and Tinsley so used to service the vast majority of the Sheffield steel industry. The buses used to run every 2 minutes at peak period and always seemed to be full……my mode of transport to work in the 70’s.

The 69 was doing the same route in the 80s.

This is dated 1945, so I assume some sort of victory parade. The York looks well

View attachment 120389
Union flags flying from windows, so it could be a victory parade. However, the crowds are predominantly female. Maybe a lot of men were still uniform and taking part in the march. Or perhaps it was during a weekday and most of the men were at work. However, somehow it looks less formal than an official parade. People are looking to the right so the source of the excitement is coming from the direction of Ranmoor or Fulwood. Everyone looks very happy. We didn't have "celebrities" is those days but the presence of so many women suggests it could have been a male film or radio star. But who could have pulled such a big crowd? It's certainly a mystery.

Couple of things from this. Some more subtle signage 😁 And an orchestra daily in the restaurant. Anyone remember that, or been told anything about It?

View attachment 120391
My parents spoke about Walshs as being a high-quality store. It was bombed out during the war so this picture must date from the late 1930s or early 1940s.

Union flags flying from windows, so it could be a victory parade. However, the crowds are predominantly female. Maybe a lot of men were still uniform and taking part in the march. Or perhaps it was during a weekday and most of the men were at work. However, somehow it looks less formal than an official parade. People are looking to the right so the source of the excitement is coming from the direction of Ranmoor or Fulwood. Everyone looks very happy. We didn't have "celebrities" is those days but the presence of so many women suggests it could have been a male film or radio star. But who could have pulled such a big crowd? It's certainly a mystery.

I was intrigued by it. I thought it might have been taken early in the day, before things were officially organised for a parade. Then I thought possibly a political visit, but I don't know of any to Sheffield then, same with a royal visitation. Hadn't even thought about celebrity at that time, like you say I wouldn't know who it might be. I bet someone on here knows.

My parents spoke about Walshs as being a high-quality store. It was bombed out during the war so this picture must date from the late 1930s or early 1940s.

I'd say pre-war as the cars don't have any blackout masking over the headlamps and I'd have thought the shop windows might have had some sort of protection from nearby blast damage (but not a direct hit, obviously).

I was intrigued by it. I thought it might have been taken early in the day, before things were officially organised for a parade. Then I thought possibly a political visit, but I don't know of any to Sheffield then, same with a royal visitation. Hadn't even thought about celebrity at that time, like you say I wouldn't know who it might be. I bet someone on here knows.
VE day was May 1945, I believe, VJ day was later on in the same year. Makes sense to start a parade from the Ranmoor area into the City centre I would think?

Yes that's definitely the bottom of the Moor around Xmas time. There used to be an outdoor Santa's Grotto every year. Funny I was thinking about this Grotto when reading that other post about the Co-Op's Santa's Grotto at the bottom of Ecclesall Rd. You can see the Grosvenor Hotel In the background and just make out Sharpe's of Sheffield fruit & veg shop.
This is the same piece of land that had Jona the whale on show. Can you imagine that these days?? Dragging a giant dead decomposing whale around the country on an artic waggon and getting people to pay to see it for a night out!

In the late 70’s when number one son was 5 , Mrs.Joe took him to Santa’s Grotto .

Ahead of them in the queue was a little girl of about the same age and when her turn came she stepped forward confidently and said hello to Santa .

“ Hello sweetie “ said Santa “ and what’s your name “?

“ Olivia “.

“Oh , Olivia , that’s a nice name - and what are you hoping for at Christmas , Olivia “? to which she replied ....

“ World peace “.

As Mrs.Joe put it , he didn’t see that one coming . :)

There's very few children to be seen, so maybe they were at school. Surely for a victory parade (or royal visit) the children would have been let off school. It all rather points to some male hearthrob, in view of the throng of excited women.

There's very few children to be seen, so maybe they were at school. Surely for a victory parade (or royal visit) the children would have been let off school. It all rather points to some male hearthrob, in view of the throng of excited women.

georgeformby.jpg

In the late 70’s when number one son was 5 , Mrs.Joe took him to Santa’s Grotto .

Ahead of them in the queue was a little girl of about the same age and when her turn came she stepped forward confidently and said hello to Santa .

“ Hello sweetie “ said Santa “ and what’s your name “?

“ Olivia “.

“Oh , Olivia , that’s a nice name - and what are you hoping for at Christmas , Olivia “? to which she replied ....

“ World peace “.

As Mrs.Joe put it , he didn’t see that one coming . :)
He hasn’t yet delivered it… Bah, humbug.

VE day was May 1945, I believe, VJ day was later on in the same year. Makes sense to start a parade from the Ranmoor area into the City centre I would think?

VE Day was a public holiday, so kids would've been around. Also I think it rained a bit. I found this one of Fargate on the day. None the wiser for that photo though.

QVNIMTE0ODY3MDU3.jpg

VE Day was a public holiday, so kids would've been around. Also I think it rained a bit. I found this one of Fargate on the day. None the wiser for that photo though.

View attachment 120406
Many men in civvies taking part in the VE parade in May 1945. I suppose those that weren't in the forces had been doing various duties as home guards, ARP wardens etc, Pllenty of children seem to be in the city centre. On balance, I think the Broomhill picture must have been of the same celebrations.

I can remember the smell of Pollards from when I was a kid - almost as if it was yesterday. I'm sure the aroma wasn't as strong when it moved across the road.
I too remember Pollards Coffee grinding/roasting aroma.
Going back to the '50's, Davy's Fargate, ground coffee and the machine was permanently in the left window when facing the shop. On a wet miserable winters day, homeward from school, a great smell giving grimy old Sheffield an almost Continental feel.

What a shit car for a king and queen .
Mek do an' mend. ;)
Took me a awhile to spot George, looks as though he's recognised someone in't crowd. Could it be a lady? Probably had nights out in Sheffield as a single bloke. Was in't Navy, visits to Janson St then darn town at nite.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom