Old Photos For No Reason Whatsoever

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Where did the No. 10 bus go from Psalter Lane? I remember (I think) the 28 going on Psalter Lane and on to Bents Green.
Before my time. It was 34 and 38 I could catch on Petre st, drop off on Bramall lane then it went to Graves Park. Standon road t'other end, stopped at Reform Chapel Grimesthorpe before doing full length of Petre st.
Think I'm about right.

Before my time (mid 70s I suppose when I knew bus routes). Only bus I think via Psalter Lane was the 4, 81 and 82 went to Bents Green.

My memory might be playing tricks, but did the 81 not go up Eccy Road to Rustlings Road, around the triangular island and then back again to Middlewood? 82 definitely went up to Bents Green, and the 88 to Fulwood.

My memory might be playing tricks, but did the 81 go up Eccy Road to Rustlings Road, around the triangular island and then back again to Middlewood? 82 definitely went up to Bents Green, and the 88 to Fulwood.
Not in my time georgebernardshaw. They both went to Bents Green, the 81 out via Ringinglow Road, back via Bents Road, the 82 vice versa.

Before my time (mid 70s I suppose when I knew bus routes). Only bus I think via Psalter Lane was the 4, 81 and 82 went to Bents Green.
Thanks for making me feel old! The 28 was in the 50s and probably early 60s. 4,71 and 82 are modern creations!🤣

My memory might be playing tricks, but did the 81 not go up Eccy Road to Rustlings Road, around the triangular island and then back again to Middlewood? 82 definitely went up to Bents Green, and the 88 to Fulwood.
Yes, when I was growing up that`s how they ran. The 81, at that time, was Rustlings Road only, not Bents Green.

Cant see Midland Station?

Must be there somewhere SB, although it does look hard to pick out on both photos. I think mid 50s they removed the roof so that doesn't help either

If you look behind the tall chimney, you can see the stone arches of the station. They look black, given all the coal being burnt.

What threw me, was the trees and fields where the new curved roof Granville College is now. It makes the bus station look like it's on the edge of the countryside.

"stolen" from twitter...............such memories, think it only opened at 11pm at night?

memories anyone?

Used to have what was called "A big one" - great after numerous pints of Wards :)

View attachment 121023
Called there on regular basis in 80s&90s when we lived on pye bank rd,either from town on way home or from duck on pye bank rd at chucking out time..😁

Cant see Midland Station?
My first thoughts too. as has been said, can just make out the cut ups above the arches on station facade.
I was also looking for Harmer Lane, which was there long before the photo, can't find that.
I was around when photo was taken but before my memory kicked in, all looks a little foreign to me.
Edit- The bus with the domed roof could have been a war time additional replacement for buses lost in the Blitz. ex Blackpool

Last edited:

The year below me but still played with Lee Walshaw as he played a year older. Saw John Beresford at a golf doo a few years ago and chatted about all the characters who played at the time. Can’t remember the others. Would be interesting to see how many played pro.
Fair few of that Sheffield boys side made it as pro’s

Back
Top Bottom