Old Photos For No Reason Whatsoever

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Straining for a view of the Cossack!
As callow yoof, we did the Tetley bitter crawl (for the free pint), but oddly enough never went in there.
Snap - I think we did Banner Cross, Robin Hood, Sheaf, Abbey, Woodseats Hotel, Chantry, Beehive, Mailcoach, Saddle then I can’t remember! It was called the Tetley Pub Hunt and you got a t-shirt!

Her dad was a maths teacher at Tapton school.

In other irrelevant but true stories

An ex g/f's grandmother had been the cleaner, dogsbody and general confidente of Mr Stringfellow in the early days of the Mojo Club.
As a result she had a super duper VIP pass to anything he ran; never took me there though :D

Harlequin towards the top of Howard Street I think?

A (non greasy absolutely belting)chip butty very much part of the pre match routine for me late 70's.
Hated the place, for one reason, every Friday lunchtime the foreman at Kennings used to send me for his fish n chips with instructions and threats ( me being a mere apprentice) it had to be from the Harlequin, the only chippy in the area with a queue out of the door, and half way down Howard St, missed many a dinner hour!

Last edited:
I lived in Seaburn for a while at my Grans ,you could see the floodlights and Fulwell end from the bedroom. Loved it up there actually.
Being a poor student I always stood on the Roker end. Cheaper than the Fulwell end, but uncovered and bloody colder and windier. Them wer days.

Harlequin towards the top of Howard Street I think?

A (non greasy absolutely belting)chip butty very much part of the pre match routine for me late 70's.
I loved Harlequin chippy. Proper fish and chips cooked by a proper bloke that knew what he was doing. I used to sit in the back room and have them on a plate with bread and butter and a pot of tea.
Easily the best in Sheffield at the time. Nothing could touch Wilkinson's at the bottom of Ecclesall Rd though back in the 70s. Opposite the New Inn.

There was also a good little chippy down on the end of Pattenoster, almost as you got to the roundabout, in the 70s.

I’m starting with a guess about the date - it was before we had the desso laid?🤣
Probably April 1966. We wore white shorts at home to Blackpool in Nov 1966 (Reece broke his leg) and Feb 1968 (FA Cup). My dad always said my first match was against Blackpool so it could be this one?

Probably April 1966. We wore white shorts at home to Blackpool in Nov 1966 (Reece broke his leg) and Feb 1968 (FA Cup). My dad always said my first match was against Blackpool so it could be this one?
The thing that struck me about that photo is that nearly all the players have spindly legs. I thought at first it was the United Juniors!

Probably is Tony Waiters in goal for Blackpool- difficult to tell in the photo. In the early sixties he was as a student at Loughborough and left, half way through a 3 year course, to sign professional for Blackpool. He was skint, at the time, and rumour had it, that he lived in a tent on Blackpool beach until Blackpool found out. His replacement, at Loughborough was Bob Wilson.

was at that game when reece broke his leg silent wasnt he racing down the left wing towards the lane end when he got hacked down ?

Back
Top Bottom