Mcburnie

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

He’s started 2 games. Out of all the strikers so far he looks the biggest goal threat along with Robinson

I'm going to take a stab at where most people's frustration stems from.

He and Maupay were the two options. Maupay has started well and looks a very good buy, comfortable at this level.

Two things:
  1. Maupay has played regularly so far, McBurnie hasn't.
  2. Maupay has out and out pace which makes him look good at this level and helps him to have a more immediate impact. McBurnie doesn't although he will put himself about for the cause. It's the point above about him not seeming a natural athlete.
We need to make him the focal point of the attack and whilst Wilder's side will always expect him to press, we should ask him to invest less of his time and energy into that and focus on being in the right places.

But don't strikers who score more than 10/12 goals a season in the PL usually cost much, much more than £20m?
think Hazard got about that many last year . Not sure what he's worth

Complete bollocks. He’s had about 3 chances and converted 2, with 1 ruled out for offside. If he had the chances McGoldrick has had he’d have 4/5
if we somehow took every bit of didzy with McB’s finishing and positioning in the box, we’d have a shithot £40m striker. unfortunately we have to play them together instead, which doesnt quite work.

seems like we have 3 strikers that all have really nice attributes but lack in certain key areas (sharp, mcb, didz)... i reckon the ones that are more likely to have it ‘all’ are either mousse or robbinsom, but then again, we will only find out with sufficient game time!

Moose and Didz away at Everton with McBurnie coming on later when the moose burns himself out

I know we all see the game differently and it’s all about opinions, but I’ve yet to see anything that suggests McBurnie is a waste of money. In fact, I’d go as far as to say he looks to be doing exactly what we expected he would do - some people seem very quick to want to be critical of our own players.

Without VAR (albeit it was the right decision), McBurnie wins us the match today (think we’d have held on if we’d gone in front).

Is £20m really worth that return though? I know McBurnie didn't decide his price tag but that's what is making people balk.

He is very raw, and could well improve, but that's the sort of player you shell out half that money for.
yeah that’s the price m’fraid .. a 20 goal a season striker is 59 mill. i’m worried he’s turning into darius though.. stop fucking arguing ollie ! ;)

yeah that’s the price m’fraid .. a 20 goal a season striker is 59 mill. i’m worried he’s turning into darius though.. stop fucking arguing ollie ! ;)

Isn't that a rather simplistic view? Just because we got promoted we've to pay through the nose for 10 goals.

Teams with smaller budgets need to be cannier than that surely?

that’s the market price??

Sorry I didn't realise there was a set price for all strikers based on forum predictions of how much they might score. I always assumed the transfer market was a tad more nuanced than that.

My mistake.

Ah ok. You did say the subs were bizarre and that we didn’t bring on two extra strikers though.

McBurnie offered very little I thought. He plays like a target man but doesn’t seem strong enough to be one. He doesn’t beat people, doesn’t create much and obviously isn’t making the runs he needs to get the ball.

I’m sure he’ll get better, but he’s not offering much on today’s showing. Billy offered way more in the short time he was on.
He didn't offer much. But he had one attempt one goal (admittedly it was offside)

The big frustration today was when he decided to throw the toys out of the pram when getting out muscled then drawn in to a battle he can’t win.

He needs to learn quick and decide when and we’re to play. Trying to turn on the half way line in the second half and put the afterburners on getting no where but floored is frustrating. Especially after that had been dominant on the ball for 5 mins.

He got absolutely bossed by Blackburn's centre halves the other week, too. In one instance, he was wrestling with one defender so the other was able to head it away under so little pressure that it actually turned into a through ball which launched a Rovers attack.

He also had an infuriating habit of running beyond a defender while the ball was in the air, hoping their man would inexplicably miss it. They never did.

Sorry I didn't realise there was a set price for all strikers based on forum predictions of how much they might score. I always assumed the transfer market was a tad more nuanced than that.

My mistake.
come on mate ;)
what did maupay go for? what did che go for? that’s how much top end champ strikers go for (shrugs)

In my opinion far too soon to write him off. He’s not started every game and he’s playing at a higher level than last season, anyone expecting him to be smashing in goals left right and centre already is expecting too much. If he only scores one more goal all season but it’s the one that keeps us up he’s value for money.

17million? more like a 7 million pound striker.

That said I am prepared to give him time, he has still scored.

Give him chances, he'll score. No doubt about that.

Get the ball to his feet, he'll link play and do good things.

His physicality is the issue.

Another one is finding the right partner and system for him.

come on mate ;)
what did maupay go for? what did che go for? that’s how much top end champ strikers go for (shrugs)

That's kind of my point though. Why did we have to buy from the Championship? It massively inflates a players value and is no guarantee of success.

There’s far more about his game then some give him credit for. It was him that set up McG for that 1 on 1. I find it amazing how some can write players off after a couple of hours game time, surely they realise it takes more than that for most to settle and let’s be right, he’d have got 2 goals in that period but for the VAR decision. Isn’t that what we signed him for?

Haven’t seen anything that justifies his price tag,
Che Adams looks more effective for less money,
Agree or disagree?

Take a look at the headed chance for Adams yesterday, which Henderson saved.
Now look at McBurnie's goal against Leicester.
Very similar chances - who scored?

McBurnie will score important goals for us this season.

Who’s better?
On the evidence on what we have seen thus far, all of them in truth.

Including Clarke !

The lad needs to pull his socks up. And sharpish. Deadbats reporting should give you a few clues along with the fact he hasn’t completed a game he has started.

One great header aside, really ineffective impact on our offensive threat thus far.

Early days yet, admittedly. But I for one, want and expect more.

UTB

Overall I think he has done well.

Yesterday he was getting dispossessed way too easily at first, but once he got to grips with their defenders he looked good.

The whole price tag question is hard to answer, as today's market is so inflated. For strikers especially, you need to spend big to get anything decent in the form of young and British especially.

Back
Top Bottom