Matty Longstaff

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Plenty of players out there, adamawdhali he’s a good shout and based in England. Having talked to a scout that has done work with a few championship clubs it seems like lots of clubs looking local which is making this market a difficult one. I asked him why clubs like ourselves didn’t just buy from abroad but apparently the work involved can be a headache if you don’t have contacts etc. Shame really because plenty of talent in France, Holland and Scandinavia to tap into, it’s the one part of our club off the field I thought we would have sorted by now.

Plenty of players out there, adamawdhali he’s a good shout and based in England. Having talked to a scout that has done work with a few championship clubs it seems like lots of clubs looking local which is making this market a difficult one. I asked him why clubs like ourselves didn’t just buy from abroad but apparently the work involved can be a headache if you don’t have contacts etc. Shame really because plenty of talent in France, Holland and Scandinavia to tap into, it’s the one part of our club off the field I thought we would have sorted by now.
I wonder if we’ll recall coulibaly if we continue to struggle to bring in a midfield with a few days left of the window

I don’t think coulibaly will ever play a game for us, seems like he was bought for Beerschot to get around their equivalent to FFP rules. It’s annoying because what we are looking for is effectively what we already own and would be one of top midfielders in the Championship. I mean, Coulibaly created as much as Lokonga in half the amount of appearances last season and Arsenal paid £17 million for him.

Our scouting department just goes around in circles, so much talent around, the options being tracked are not what we need. Its giving me the impression they have been told who can we get on the cheap, or on loan in England. What a set of parameters.
Based on... a handful of players linked in the media/social media?!

To many people leak in the industry for us not to know names of targets.

To many people leak in the industry for us not to know names of targets.
The 'industry' might leak like a sieve, it doesn't mean or prove our team goes round in circles.
Like any other process it will have a set of parameters that drastically effect the number of possible targets from the larger number of available ones.
We might well identify 10 targets for one role, rule out 4 as non starter's due to wages, availability or transfer fees, 2 might be ruled out when they decide they don't want to move or drop a division, another might drop out because his family won't move, others drop out because the agent thinks a better deal is on elsewhere,,none of that's not the fault of the Club, the manager or the recruitment team, and no proof of going round in circles.

His dad played for the Steelers back in the 90s

View attachment 115136

Gerrimin
Used to do security on players corridor back then. After games wives & kids used to come down on corridor. Many the time he & his brother Sean would hack and slash at my shins as I was goalie against they're miniature hockey sticks and screwed up paper cup as a puck!

The 'industry' might leak like a sieve, it doesn't mean or prove our team goes round in circles.
Like any other process it will have a set of parameters that drastically effect the number of possible targets from the larger number of available ones.
We might well identify 10 targets for one role, rule out 4 as non starter's due to wages, availability or transfer fees, 2 might be ruled out when they decide they don't want to move or drop a division, another might drop out because his family won't move, others drop out because the agent thinks a better deal is on elsewhere,,none of that's not the fault of the Club, the manager or the recruitment team, and no proof of going round in circles.
That’s true but I think some of the disappointment was that our recruitment policy and it’s failings were all placed at Wilder’s feet in the TalkSport interview that PA did. He gave the impression that our reluctance to sign players from abroad was due to Wilder’s rigidity. Didn’t he claim that Wilder wouldn’t provide a list of potential targets, just specific players he wanted?

So, many supporters expected some radical changes to our recruitment, that we’d be finding the next Kante and the next Mahrez. Instead, we’re linked to the same type of targets that we’d have been linked with if Wilder was still here, and appearing to take even longer to do the deals.

Yes, running a club is difficult, it obviously is or there wouldn’t be as many owners who fuck it up, but when PA and CW decided a new manager was required, PA stood up, went on national radio, blamed Wilder and said “don’t worry Blades, I’ve got this” and it’s time he backed his words with actions. The next two weeks are going to be very important.

That’s true but I think some of the disappointment was that our recruitment policy and it’s failings were all placed at Wilder’s feet in the TalkSport interview that PA did. He gave the impression that our reluctance to sign players from abroad was due to Wilder’s rigidity. Didn’t he claim that Wilder wouldn’t provide a list of potential targets, just specific players he wanted?

So, many supporters expected some radical changes to our recruitment, that we’d be finding the next Kante and the next Mahrez. Instead, we’re linked to the same type of targets that we’d have been linked with if Wilder was still here, and appearing to take even longer to do the deals.

Yes, running a club is difficult, it obviously is or there wouldn’t be as many owners who fuck it up, but when PA and CW decided a new manager was required, PA stood up, went on national radio, blamed Wilder and said “don’t worry Blades, I’ve got this” and it’s time he backed his words with actions. The next two weeks are going to be very important.
You mean backed his words with signings? It's difficult to prove or disprove really, judging from the reaction of Viera failing his medical, presumably those shouting, complaining would have been overjoyed if he had passed and signed, which if when the window closed meant Davies, Viera, Berge were all here, would most people be happy with that?

You mean backed his words with signings? It's difficult to prove or disprove really, judging from the reaction of Viera failing his medical, presumably those shouting, complaining would have been overjoyed if he had passed and signed, which if when the window closed meant Davies, Viera, Berge were all here, would most people be happy with that?
I’d like some players who create goals, please.

True, but some of them already have some players who do that. We do not.
Yes the other 10%
Didn't go to the Carlisle game, so can't comment on Freeman's performance, question is away at Swansea, Osborn was chosen before Freeman, is that because Slav doesnt see a role for him, or in tgat game he wanted Osborn's energy & running up and down the left rather than potential creativity from Freeman

I can’t speak for anyone else but I’d like to see midfield strengthened. Not just with a Vieira type but someone with some creativity.

Again, we were lead to believe the new manager would be about continuity, that we’d keep the same players and system, tweak and strengthen. Instead, Slav seems determined to rip it up and start again. That costs money. He seems to be doing what the likes of Pep do - get the team playing your system, see which ones can’t do it and then replace them. Not only does that cost money, it takes time. I’m not sure we’ve got either.

I can’t speak for anyone else but I’d like to see midfield strengthened. Not just with a Vieira type but someone with some creativity.

Again, we were lead to believe the new manager would be about continuity, that we’d keep the same players and system, tweak and strengthen. Instead, Slav seems determined to rip it up and start again. That costs money. He seems to be doing what the likes of Pep do - get the team playing your system, see which ones can’t do it and then replace them. Not only does that cost money, it takes time. I’m not sure we’ve got either.
As someone has just said on another thread, Davies was identified as a JOC replacement, then again so was Robinson and Bryan (Bryan presumably kept on as cover as he knew the system) as we know those two and every other option that was tried, however briefly, Enda,, didn't work, so the question is now Davies is finally here does that fill the gaping JOC shaped hole, and it us indeed evolution not revolution with tweaks to the overlappingCBs, square pegs back in square holes?
Or will it see a back four, presumably without Bash, who is on the bench or another new role in midfield?

As someone has just said on another thread, Davies was identified as a JOC replacement, then again so was Robinson and Bryan (Bryan presumably kept on as cover as he knew the system) as we know those two and every other option that was tried, however briefly, Enda,, didn't work, so the question is now Davies is finally here does that fill the gaping JOC shaped hole, and it us indeed evolution not revolution with tweaks to the overlappingCBs, square pegs back in square holes?
Or will it see a back four, presumably without Bash, who is on the bench or another new role in midfield?
I’m not sure I understand. Are you saying that he’s signed Davies so we can revert back to a back 3?

I think it's safe to say that you are more than welcome to speak for everybody else on this occasion. The entire fan base can see that this side just doesn't create much (if anything) at all. We certainly need more bodies in the middle and out wide if Slav is going to continue the way he is.

I’m not sure I understand. Are you saying that he’s signed Davies so we can revert back to a back 3?
Since Slav has been appointed all the talk has been about being flexible, no rigid 442 or 352.
I don't think the 3 at the back was found out, not while JOC was playing, it was when everyone that tried filling in for him, proved they nothing like as effective, it not only stopped attacks down one flank, but allowed teams to defend the other with ease, knowing every attack is coming down the right via Baldock and Bash, with the occasional disinterested contribution from Lundstrom.
Slav is on record praising the overlapping centre backs, all I am asking or questioning is we have bought a left sided centre half, that can play LB, it's added yet more options, flat 4 with Robinson LB, or RND etc

Wouldn’t we all, thing is that applies to about 90% of clubs

take the point but I think 99% of the other clubs in England league structure have at least one creative midfielder, winger or wide forward in their entire squad. We are the only ones with essentially zero and a manager who likes to employ them. I’m not buying Freeman as he’s nowhere near getting a look in seeminglyz

This needs to change before the end of the transfer window. Otherwise we aren’t going to score anywhere near the amount of goals require to challenge.

Hagansbootlaces, The notion that the Industry or more favourably the profession (my apology) leaks is common knowledge and I’m sure we all agree to one extent or another on that. The idea that we would have 10 targets lined up a view expressed by yourself, is also, as you stated to BushBlade “difficult to prove or disprove” accurately.

When asked about recruiting the prince had mentioned or implied that wilder would only come to him with one target and that made the ability to negotiate difficult, that one comment alone made many fans believe that without wilder and his non flexible stance on targets we would be able to navigate a wider section of the transfer market. I’ve yet to see the evidence of this, in fact it’s very much the opposite. Vieira for example, is an once highly rated English footballer that has had a bit of an adventure around different countries but not quite made the grade, he‘s played little football and unfortunately failed his medical. The name Vieira could quite easily be replace with Morrison, Rodwell or Burke and the description would remain relatively unchanged, despite this the latter are known as “Wilder type signing” how? Hes not here anymore.

Many on this forum have made excuses for our slow, ponderous and #slothbox like recruitment, some of which state that we may have to wait for premier league clubs to settle their squads, an opinion relevant if it wasn’t for the fact teams throughout the leagues have been signing youngsters on loan for weeks and even doing business for fees without the luxury of parachute payments. Revolution is right we need players in, that are creators, this brings me back to a post I made earlier in the thread, about the parameters our recruitment team work within which on the face of it are extremely restricted - Cheap, homegrown talent, willing to come on loan to either revive a career or begin one it’s impossible not to think we aren’t going around in circles when the pool of players seems so small.

take the point but I think 99% of the other clubs in England league structure have at least one creative midfielder, winger or wide forward in their entire squad. We are the only ones with essentially zero and a manager who likes to employ them. I’m not buying Freeman as he’s nowhere near getting a look in seeminglyz

This needs to change before the end of the transfer window. Otherwise we aren’t going to score anywhere near the amount of goals require to challenge.
I agree, Freeman was left on the bench against Swansea, Osborn chosen in front of him, I have no idea if that means Slav doesnt rate him, or Slav is convinced 2 wide men are the answer.

Hagansbootlaces, The notion that the Industry or more favourably the profession (my apology) leaks is common knowledge and I’m sure we all agree to one extent or another on that. The idea that we would have 10 targets lined up a view expressed by yourself, is also, as you stated to BushBlade “difficult to prove or disprove” accurately.

When asked about recruiting the prince had mentioned or implied that wilder would only come to him with one target and that made the ability to negotiate difficult, that one comment alone made many fans believe that without wilder and his non flexible stance on targets we would be able to navigate a wider section of the transfer market. I’ve yet to see the evidence of this, in fact it’s very much the opposite. Vieira for example, is an once highly rated English footballer that has had a bit of an adventure around different countries but not quite made the grade, he‘s played little football and unfortunately failed his medical. The name Vieira could quite easily be replace with Morrison, Rodwell or Burke and the description would remain relatively unchanged, despite this the latter are known as “Wilder type signing” how? Hes not here anymore.

Many on this forum have made excuses for our slow, ponderous and #slothbox like recruitment, some of which state that we may have to wait for premier league clubs to settle their squads, an opinion relevant if it wasn’t for the fact teams throughout the leagues have been signing youngsters on loan for weeks and even doing business for fees without the luxury of parachute payments. Revolution is right we need players in, that are creators, this brings me back to a post I made earlier in the thread, about the parameters our recruitment team work within which on the face of it are extremely restricted - Cheap, homegrown talent, willing to come on loan to either revive a career or begin one it’s impossible not to think we aren’t going around in circles when the pool of players is so small.
Sorry, not arguing for the sake of it, but how do you know what the parameters are that the recruitment team is operating with?

No problem Hagansbootlaces 😂. The vast majority of players we have signed over past five years tick all or some the boxes, without going into semantic, it’s the common trend.

No problem Hagansbootlaces 😂. The vast majority of players we have signed over past five years tick all or some the boxes, without going into semantic, it’s the common trend.
The only trend was a period under CW when we appeared to be signing captains from other clubs, 3/4? And there is always an exception to any rule, we signed Henderson, Brewster, Berge, Verrips, Osborn etc it's a pretty long list over 5 years, some worked some didn't Ryan Leonard and Ricky Holmes are just two.
We have signed a mixture, young, old, promising, British, and Foreign.

But….we have Rip?? We all know the real reason we don’t have foreign players is Wilder spent all the money on English crap….one of which who’s just gone for a huge profit it seems.

I thought Rip and all his contacts would have foreign bargains flooding to the club like Brentford but a fraction of the cost of their set up? Man is a genius at spotting talent. We could have got Soucek you know!!!

Back
Top Bottom