Mail Sport: Sheffield United consider move to bring Chris Wilder back as manager

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I have never been Heckingbottoms biggest fan always seen him as a cheap option who had achieved nothing in his managerial career to warrant a job at a club of Uniteds size.
However he got us promoted so has earned his chance of a crack at the Premiership, and despite the awful Pre-Season for which he has too take some blame, he still deserves a fair crack.

But if he was to fail and be replaced I wouldn't want Wilder anywhere near our club, the football in our second season in the Premiership could have sent a insomniac too sleep, and the way he sneaked out the back door when the going got tough, not too mention his record since he left us.
Please be a load of bollocks.
I hope the Prince isn't trying too compete with Chancer for the who can be the biggest lunatic in charge of a Sheffield football club award.

I didn’t say the selection today.

As for the question still stands? I answered the question, selections, tactically, subs etc.. and no of course if he keeps us out of the bottom three then he is doing his job. If we are in the bottom three and he is contributing to us being in the bottom three then he should lose his job, as should any manager.

And just to reiterate I’m not saying sack him, he deserves more time. But me personally would give him another two month that’s it. If we still cannot pick up the points then he has to go. I understand people have a real fondness for Hecky which could possibly cloud their judgement but we cannot put sentiment ahead of what is best for the club. Who knows a new man could come in and we still don’t pick up the points but me personally think this is our last chance of being in the top flight for many a year as we will sell the players if we go down, so if it’s not working let’s try something else is all I’m saying.
What makes you think Wilder would do any better ?

What makes you think Wilder would do any better ?
Because I saw him drag this club from years and years of misery stuck in League 1 to the brink of European football with a rag tag bunch of football misfits.

Folk seem to have forgotten all about what the man did for us as fans and forget about covid putting a massive fuck off stop sign on us moving forward as a club… back door blah blah is all you ever hear nowadays, each to their own as we are all entitled to our opinions but I personally don’t think it’s fair.

Chris wilder is like the ex wife of 5 years who’s taken you to court and claimed 50% of your mortgage without paying a single penny towards anything. Avoid this now (yes I am talking from experience)

Best football ive seen us play in 40 years under Wilder.
Fast short passing football where we were had spells home and away dominating the top 6.

Lets be honest...last season we were never convincing.
Hecky is pragmatic, quite negative, reminds me of Southgate, plays to grind out results.

Whereas under Wilder when we were 1-0 up, we'd go for 2-0, then 3-0.
So wouldn't be too disappointed if wilder returned

but think the timing would be wrong.
Altho I've not convinced by Hecky because I'm never sure what our tactics are
apart from sit back and defend in numbers.

However Hecky has done enough to deserve more time.
Also like Southgate, Hecky has no personality, so he's good with the media and doesnt cause any fuss.
Where as Wilder is a livelier, like a stick of dynamite, could go either way.

I didn’t say the selection today.

As for the question still stands? I answered the question, selections, tactically, subs etc.. and no of course if he keeps us out of the bottom three then he is doing his job. If we are in the bottom three and he is contributing to us being in the bottom three then he should lose his job, as should any manager.

And just to reiterate I’m not saying sack him, he deserves more time. But me personally would give him another two month that’s it. If we still cannot pick up the points then he has to go. I understand people have a real fondness for Hecky which could possibly cloud their judgement but we cannot put sentiment ahead of what is best for the club. Who knows a new man could come in and we still don’t pick up the points but me personally think this is our last chance of being in the top flight for many a year as we will sell the players if we go down, so if it’s not working let’s try something else is all I’m saying.

What selection has he got wrong in the other games?

I saw your answer but as you’ve just pointed out, tactics etc are irrelevant if he keeps us out of the bottom 3. So is that your definition of underperforming instead?

Because I saw him drag this club from years and years of misery stuck in League 1 to the brink of European football with a rag tag bunch of football misfits.

Folk seem to have forgotten all about what the man did for us as fans and forget about covid putting a massive fuck off stop sign on us moving forward as a club… back door blah blah is all you ever hear nowadays, each to their own as we are all entitled to our opinions but I personally don’t think it’s fair.
I absolutely haven't forgot. Wilder bar one season was fantastic for us.

That said unless hecky walks or we are winless after another x amount of games we should not be sacking hecky.

Replacing him isn't the issue here ( as in who) firstly we should not be sacking him

After all he's had a below quality squad available to pick nearly every game this far. Especially those 1st two matches.

I absolutely haven't forgot. Wilder bar one season was fantastic for us.

That said unless hecky walks or we are winless after another x amount of games we should not be sacking hecky.

Replacing him isn't the issue here ( as in who) firstly we should not be sacking him

After all he's had a below quality squad available to pick nearly every game this far. Especially those 1st two matches.
I agree we should not be sacking him. That view could change in a couple of months though 👍

Chris wilder is like the ex wife of 5 years who’s taken you to court and claimed 50% of your mortgage without paying a single penny towards anything. Avoid this now (yes I am talking from experience)
And as mind blowing as the sex was for the first few years, you can't forget the last 6 months when the sex stopped, the nagging started and ultimately she took the kids and house....

And as mind blowing as the sex was for the first few years, you can't forget the last 6 months when the sex stopped, the nagging started and ultimately she took the kids and house....

Seems like the ending with Wilder wasn’t what we all thought.

But if he was to fail and be replaced I wouldn't want Wilder anywhere near our club, the football in our second season in the Premiership could have sent a insomniac too sleep, and the way he sneaked out the back door when the going got tough, not too mention his record since he left us.

Don't think you can judge Wilder having his team play in empty stadia...which are near to training session conditions.

McBurnie was interviewed 2 years ago and he's usually poor in training
but playing in front of a crowd makes him 20% better.
He even admitted he enjoys receiving stick from the away fans an he thinks it makes him play better.

Wilder and the Bramall Lane crowd used to feed off each other.....making us a real force. Warnock had similar powers.
Hecky doesn't have anywhere near the same charisma. He's not done anything wrong to date though, so deserves more time.

Note: Find it quite bizarre how the greatest manager in our recent history seems to be receiving so little respect.
He saved our club from being a Bradford City or Notts County, the Duffy/ Fleck/ Coutts trio is the best midfield we've had in 40 years.
Also the overlapping centre back system with Basham and O'Connell make us national famous and feared.
Once O'Connell was injured we never found a left sided defender to play that role as well, hence we struggled.
Basham was also out injured for much of that 2nd season, so instead of winning most matches 1-0 and 2-1, we were losing moat matches 0-1 and 1-2.

What blame does he have to take?
The fact he didn't play a settled sided, or the side he had in his mind that would start the season.
I know it was difficult with all the coming and goings, but the defence has pretty much stayed the same from last season yet he didn't play them together in Pre-Season.

Don't think you can judge Wilder having his team play in empty stadia...which are near to training session conditions.

He even admitted he enjoys receiving stick from the away fans an he thinks it makes him play better.

Wilder and the Bramall Lane crowd used to feed off each other.....making us a real force. Warnock had similar powers.
Hecky doesn't have anywhere near the same charisma. He's not done anything wrong to date though, so deserves more time.

Note: Find it quite bizarre how the greatest manager in our recent history seems to be receiving so little respect.
He saved our club from being a Bradford City or Notts County, the Duffy/ Fleck/ Coutts trio is the best midfield we've had in 40 years.
Also the overlapping centre back system with Basham and O'Connell make us national famous and feared.
Once O'Connell was injured we never found a left sided defender to play that role as well, hence we struggled.
Basham was also out injured for much of that 2nd season, so instead of winning most matches 1-0 and 2-1, we were losing moat matches 0-1 and 1-2.
And when the going got tough he walked out the back door.
How do you explain his managerial record since leaving us ?

Heckingbottom & co. and the togetherness they've created are the one major thing going for us right now so I sincerely hope this is bollocks.

For some reason, I seem to think one of the ITKers hinted that this might happen during pre-season and we also had the Prince bizarrely bigging him up in the interview with SUW...

Please no.

Recall it was Baltic

Now you understand why Knill was at few games. Has Prince forgiven him ?

As much as Hecky has done well to get us up and is a nice bloke, do I think he should keep his job if he underperforms as manager because he’s a nice bloke and the players like him? No I don’t, not saying sack him but if the time comes where he is clearly out of his depth in the top flight then yes we should get rid while there is a chance of staying up.

Would I welcome Wilder back if that was to happen? Too fucking right I would.
Prince should support Paul and team to hilt and stuff this nonsense. As a season ticket holder if Hecky is sacked or made to resign for Wilder to replace I will boycott my seat in John Street. Get the ownership sale sorted for January ship out Fleck, Lowe Bash and strengthen to a decent 16 man first team not a struggling first 11.
Wilder had his chance

For me it's not a case of disrespecting Wilder, more the fact that we already have a good manager who the players are totally behind also. To sack Hecky now would be total madness. If Hecky resigned or went to another club it would be a reasonable shout re wilder but not to sack Hecky, especially after just a handful of games when we've actually played very well for the most part.

Don’t think you can even considere sacking hecky. It would be mental.

We’ve had 3 games with a vaguely PL squad.

Could have drawn with city, beat spurs and if mcburnie’s chance goes in against Everton. We could be on 7 points from those 3 games. It’s small margins going against us.

Don’t think you can even considere sacking hecky. It would be mental.

We’ve had 3 games with a vaguely PL squad.

Could have drawn with city, beat spurs and if mcburnie’s chance goes in against Everton. We could be on 7 points from those 3 games. It’s small margins going against us.
Exactly this. Also Traore scores Vs forest a win or point there too

Back
Top Bottom